Fanfic - Max/Liz
"The Seed"
Part 2
by Lady Victoria
Disclaimer: All of these characters except for Nell, Conroy, and the Bishop, belong to WB.
Summary: Max and Liz uncover a secret about her past.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Author's Note: This may not be consistent with the show, but it can't be more confusing than Roswell's second season.
The door to the hospital room opened, and Liz looked out. She spotted Max leaning against the wall and motioned him over. Max was worried, but oddly enough, she was smiling. "Come in, Max. Dad wants to talk to you." Max followed her into the room. Jeff was sitting up in bed, holding hands with his wife Nancy who was sitting in a chair beside him. Max's eyes went at once to the man's chest area. It was covered up by a hospital gown. If there was a handprint . . .

"Max?" Jeff Parker's voice was like a pin dropping in a dead silence, and Max jumped. The man gave a smile. "Don't worry, son. I'm not threatening you now. I guess a thank you is called for."

Max stood erect. "Don't say it, sir, if you don't mean it." Liz touched Max's arm.

"Max, please, don't upset him." She glanced at her father, afraid that he might lose his temper, but Jeff was very calm. He removed his hand from Nancy's and gestured towards the door.

"Would you ladies wait outside for a moment? We gentleman need to talk." Liz started to protest. "Don't worry, Lizzie. I'm in a hospital bed. I'm in no condition to shoot your friend." She sighed then and allowed her mother to lead her from the room. When the door closed behind them, there was silence for a few seconds. Then Jeff spoke. "So you don't think I'm grateful for what you did?"

"I didn't really do anything, Mr. Parker. All I did was find you. Your wife called the medics!" Max sounded like he was defending himself, but he couldn't help it. Did Jeff remember what happened? Jeff held up a hand.

"Whoa there, boy! You really do beat all! Here I am about to say thank you, tell you that you're not as bad as I thought, and you say you didn't do anything. I'd never have thought you were modest." Max relaxed visibly. He didn't suspect anything.

"I'm sorry, sir. I really didn't know how you'd react. I mean, lately we haven't been on the best of terms. Some men would rather have died than be grateful to someone they hated."

Jeff sighed. "I don't hate you, Max. I really don't know what to make of you. I've known you about as long as your parents have, and you always seemed like the last person on Earth to go robbing . . ."

"I know." Max spoke hastily. "I don't blame you for acting as you did. Liz is your daughter, and you love her. I was the same way about Isabel. Family means a lot, Mr. Parker. Believe me, I know."

"You think you can tell me about that? Why you and Liz held up a covenience store and didn't take any money?" Max ground his teeth together. He didn't want to go on with this conversation. It might make things worse. But for God's sake, the man deserved an explanation! So did his parents, for that matter.

"I can only say now that I was out of my mind." That was true. He'd been out of his mind to involve Liz. "Someday I'll be able to tell you." He hoped that was true. He saw that Jeff was disappointed and not ready to let the matter drop. Then he heard himself ask, "Don't you have secrets you've kept for a long time?" Jeff 's eyes widened. Apparently, Max had hit on something.

Jeff sighed. "How do you feel about Lizzie?"

"I love her, sir. I'd give anything if I hadn't gotten her into this! I love her more than anything! You can count on that!

Jeff nodded. "Yes, I believe I can. Go on and talk to her."

Max stared. "You're letting me . . ."

"Letting you nothing! If I tried to stop you two, you'd only do it behind my back like you have been for weeks." Max was turning for the door when Jeff said, "One more thing, Max?"

"Yes,sir?"

"Stop calling me sir, if you don't mind. After this heart attack, I feel old enough."

* * *

When Max opened the door, he wasn't surprised to find Liz standing right outside the door. He wondered how much of the conversation she'd heard. She was silent for a moment, then she said, "How is he?"

"Fine. I think that he's going to get some rest. Where's your mom?"

"Gone to the cafeteria for some coffee."

"You want some? You look all in." She shook her head.

"I'd just like to sit down and rest. And I'd like to talk to you."

Part 1 | Index | Part 3
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.