FanFic - Max/Liz
"Epiphanies 2: The Anasazi Road"
Part 33
by Carol
Disclaimer: I would be the happiest woman on Earth if I owned any of these people, but sadly, only Josh, the Holbrooks, and Paul Hernandez are mine.
Summary: This is the sequel to EPIPHANIES 1: The Ties That Bind. It picks up the evening of the Evans barbeque that ended the first story. Here, Max and Liz must come to terms with a shocking revelation about Liz and her Grandma Claudia. They search the past among Native American ruins and history to find the truth and each other.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: I have done extensive research on the Anasazi for this fic. Most of what you will read is either factual or widely accepted speculation. I have, on occasion, filled in a gap or made an assumption that suits my purposes. The alien connection, of course, is my own Roswell-loving imagination.
Max couldn't explain how, but he could feel the pull; he and Liz seemed to know exactly what direction to take, exactly where to stop. He just knew to put the Criston on, and he just knew that Liz had to be holding on to him. It was scripted, inevitable.

As soon as the humming increased, they began to see a powerfully bright light illuminating a huge circle around them. Looking up toward the light, they saw the source: a huge disk hovering, as if suspended from the sky. "Big Monster," Max murmured, and Liz nodded.

Max became aware that the Criston was no longer on his head, at least not while he stood in this unknown place. One by one, the images of people took up positions around the circumference; they were smiling, even joyful. As Max and Liz turned in the spot at the center, Max realized he knew these people! These were his people: his family, his friends, his advisors. They appeared older than Max, of course; after all, he had been "reborn" as a human, but that didn't diminish his happiness at seeing them. Here in front of him was the past he had been seeking.

The communication was silent, telepathic, but it came easily to Max, and to his great surprise and pleasure, it came easily to Liz as well. They were able to ask and answer questions amidst the glow of celebration.

"Son, you have come, as I knew you would!" beamed his mother, a different image from the one they had seen in the pod chamber, but one familiar to Max. "You have made us proud. Finding the Criston and restoring it to us will finally bring peace to Voya. And thanks to you, Seranna and Katar have been captured. The tide is already turning in our favor. You have done well."

"Where is my father?" asked Max.

A look of regret came over his mother's face. "He is gone, lost to the conflict a long time ago, but I have no doubt he is aware of what you have accomplished and is every bit as proud as I am. His after-spirit, which stayed with us for longer than most-almost two years, was confident you would succeed."

"What do you mean by 'after-spirit'?" Max realized there would always be much he didn't know of his former life.

"That essence of a loved one that comes to guide and comfort us after death. His was very strong, very vital for a long time." She paused. "You have brought your chosen one, my son. We knew you would. We felt the energy you created together and knew you had chosen well. She has proved most worthy. We are pleased with her and happy for you."

Max held tightly to Liz. "We need to know something. When the fourth of the engineered humans finally found us, she claimed we had a destiny-together. A message from a hologram claiming to be my mother called her my bride, and it said my sister and my lieutenant were also meant to be together. I . . . we . . . Liz and I need to know if this is true, because with everything in my heart, I feel I should be with Liz."

His mother smiled and raised her arms, palms up, toward the couple. "Your destiny is yours to choose, my son. The ties that you had on Voya are not binding on you here. The hologram, an image chosen by the computer, was only meant to reassure and guide you. Your marriage was arranged right before you left so that you would not be alone in this strange place. You were sent in pairs to give you a mate to help and comfort you in your new life. But if you did not choose each other as mates here, then you must follow your own path."

"Liz has descended from the Anasazi Voyans. I was engineered." Max's mouth was dry as he projected his next question. Everything depended on this--his life, his love. He tried to pull Liz even closer, but his vice-like hold on her couldn't be tightened. "Are we compatible? Can we make a life together?"

"This has been troubling you, my son. I feel the heaviness in your heart, and I see your love for this girl. Do you think we could be so cruel as to send our children to Earth and make it impossible for them to find happiness in this life? Of course, you are compatible. And it is all the more true because of whom you have chosen."

The relief that flooded through Max and Liz at that moment was felt by all who watched the touching scene. As Max turned to Liz, they expressed their joy and love through their thoughts, their eyes, and an achingly tender kiss. There were tears in their eyes as Max released Liz's lips, but he held her face, speaking silent volumes to her of the life they would share.

Liz responded with a brilliant smile. "I never doubted, Max. Never."

"This is a joyous day for Voya," Max's mother proclaimed. "Our people will once again achieve peace, now that we have you, Max. And the Criston." Max suddenly realized that his mother was now holding the sacred artifact. She frowned slightly. "I fear for what will happen here on Earth, however. It would be safest if you returned to Voya."

Max's heart lurched. "Leave? Leave Earth? Do I have to? What about Liz?" His questions and his fear were pouring out from him.

"The choice is yours, Max. Liz can come, of course. Your forms will remain human, but they can be accommodated."

"We can stay here, can't we?" Liz asked. She would follow Max anywhere, but the thought of leaving her family, her friends, all she knew was overwhelming.

"You may find more danger here than on Voya now, but you two must decide. You are still our leader, Max. There is much to be done here. And now that the Criston has been restored to us, we can communicate with you again."

"How? If you have the Criston, how will I communicate with you?"

"Why, the orbs, of course, Max. You have them, don't you?"

More of the pieces fell into place. Max nodded, an understanding taking form in his mind. "Yes, we have them. Now I understand. We needed to return the Criston in order for the orbs to communicate with Voya. Michael, Isabel, Tess, Josh . . . everyone will be so happy to know we've reestablished contact."

"Do you choose to serve us from Earth, then, Max?"

Max looked to Liz, certain he knew what he would find there. "Max," Liz said softly, "you know I love you. You do what you think is best. I will support you and stay with you no matter what. But if you're asking me what I want, I want to stay here."

"So do I." He held her gaze for a moment, still reeling from the long-awaited confirmation that they could be together. His heart was singing, and he wanted desperately to be alone with her now. But there were still issues to resolve. Max turned to his mother. "We'll stay here, but I have so many questions and so much to learn. And the others will want to see you. When do you have to go back?"

The amused glances exchanged among those gathered for the occasion confused Max and Liz until his mother's light laughter died down. "We're not here, Max. We are still on Voya. You see only projections, made possible by the Criston and the transmitter above you. You can't imagine how long we have waited to hear from you, to find out what became of you. Please, son, tell us of your life here. Tell us everything about the others."

Questions were asked and answered, old friendships renewed, new family members introduced. Max and Liz asked a thousand questions, but it was never enough to fully understand all that had happened. Then they explained as much as they could of their lives in Roswell. The horrors of the last year brought looks of shock, anger, and sympathy. But there were good stories, too, of friendship and laughter and love.

The group grew quiet as Max's mother turned her attention to Liz. "You have clearly won my son's heart, but I have not asked what it is you feel, what you want."

Liz gathered her courage and faced her straight on. "I love Max with all my heart. We are a part of each other--the better, stronger part. Learning the truth about him changed my life, changed me. And learning the truth about me has changed us. What I want is a life with Max. I want to share the joys and dangers. I want to live in his soul. I want to have his children." Liz paused for one last wish. "And I want your blessing."

The world stilled as they all watched Max's mother study the small woman standing determinedly before her. Max stepped forward, a look of astonished adoration on his face; he reached for Liz's hand.

"I cannot imagine a more perfect answer," she said quietly, her face relaxing into a beautiful smile. "We have all been blessed this night."

A cheer went up until one by one, the images faded, and soon Max and Liz found themselves standing in the middle of a barren landscape. The sun was just coming up.

Part 32 | Index | Part 34
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.