FanFic - Max/Liz
"Epiphanies 2: The Anasazi Road"
Part 2
by Carol
Disclaimer: I would be the happiest woman on Earth if I owned any of these people, but sadly, only Josh, the Holbrooks, and Paul Hernandez are mine.
Summary: This is the sequel to EPIPHANIES 1: The Ties That Bind. It picks up the evening of the Evans barbeque that ended the first story. Here, Max and Liz must come to terms with a shocking revelation about Liz and her Grandma Claudia. They search the past among Native American ruins and history to find the truth and each other.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG
Authors Note: I have done extensive research on the Anasazi for this fic. Most of what you will read is either factual or widely accepted speculation. I have, on occasion, filled in a gap or made an assumption that suits my purposes. The alien connection, of course, is my own Roswell-loving imagination.
"We should go camping again before the summer gets away from us," suggested Maria.

Alex nodded. "We always wind up at the reservation. Why don't we go out to Bottomless Lakes instead. It's not far and they have lots to do." Isabel rolled her eyes and looked at her friends through half-closed lids. "Bugs. Snakes. Heat. Primitive plumbing. Sounds like heaven."

"Come on, Isabel," pleaded Alex. "Who knows when the eight of us will get another chance to be together?" He nudged her playfully, coaxing a half-smile from her reluctant lips.

Max pulled Liz close and smiled. "Sounds good to me. Michael?"

"Whatever," Michael said under his breath, eyebrows raised. He knew he would enjoy it, but he wasn't about to give the others the satisfaction of knowing that.

"It's settled, then!" proclaimed Maria. "Tess, are you comfortable with Kyle coming along?"

Tess nodded hesitantly. "I'll ask him. I mean, if he wants to go, I'll go, too."

"Great! When should we go?" And the group began to make plans.

************

A full moon hung in a clear August sky as the friends reached their campsite. There was almost a sense of relief in heading east out of Roswell instead of west toward the reservation. The cave where River Dog had shown them the symbols left by another crash survivor so long ago had offered a frustrating key to the puzzle of their past, but they needed a break. This was a time for fun and laughter and ghost stories. A carefree time for pretending their lives were normal and for enjoying each other's company.

After building a fire, they roasted hot dogs and told stories. Michael attempted to tell a joke, but when their serious, intense friend got confused and bungled the punch line, they laughed 'til they cried. Then Isabel hauled out the fixings for s'mores. They speared their marshmallows and held them over the fire, a companionable silence settling over them. Suddenly Isabel took a finger full of melted marshmallow and started drawing on Alex's startled face. "Food fight!" yelled Kyle, and the campsite was up for grabs. Even Tess joined in, tackling Michael from behind only to find herself clinging to him and screaming as he spun around. They chased each other around the fire, laughing and squealing until they collapsed, panting and exhausted, onto their sleeping bags.

Max looked over at Liz's sticky face, dotted with chocolate and marshmallow. He grinned at her wickedly and leaned close.

"Let me help you get that off," he offered, licking at the sweet streaks on her face. Liz grinned back. "Only if you let me return the favor," she teased.

The mood around the campfire quickly changed. Max looked at Liz with thinly disguised desire. "Let's walk down to the lake and rinse off."

"Good idea," agreed Michael, until Maria swatted him in the arm. "What?" he complained.

"Perhaps they'd like some privacy, Michael," muttered Maria under her breath.

"I need to rinse off, too," Michael pouted.

"You know, spaceboy? Sometimes I think the only reason you survived that crash is because your head is so thick. Here." Maria handed him a towelette packet and shrugged helplessly at Liz. "Go on. We're fine here." Liz smiled gratefully.

When Max and Liz reached the lake, they knelt by the gently lapping water and splashed their faces and arms.

"You look pretty weird, Liz," teased Max. "It's like two-tone chicken pox."

"Oh really?" replied Liz haughtily. "Brave words from a guy who looks like a refugee from an acne treatment test facility."

They glared at each other in mock hostility until Max couldn't hold it any longer. His eyes grew tender as he reached down and pulled his t-shirt off over his head. Liz stared appreciatively as the moonlight illuminated his taut, muscular chest. She could feel her pulse race as he dipped the hem of his shirt into the water, turned to her, and gently began to wipe her face clean. When he had finished, she carefully washed his face as well, drawn ever closer by those eyes that would not release her own. In seconds, his arms were around her, holding her tightly to him, seeking out her lips. Her hair brushed lightly against his bare skin and sent chills down his spine.

"Liz. I love you." It was such a joy to tell her that, out loud, after years of fearing he would never be able to share his love with her.

Liz's hands were running up and down his back, setting him on fire. He urgently needed to feel her skin against his, and he slid his hands under her short tank top. She was made of silk, scented silk, and it was all for him, soft and warm and eager. He started to shake, a terrible need taking over his senses and his control. He pulled away with a groan.

"Max, don't stop," moaned Liz, still holding on to him for balance. He realized she was shaking, too.

"Liz, we can't. Not here. Not now. I want you more than anything, but we can't do this. We still don't know if this could hurt you, and nothing is worth the price of endangering you."

"Max, this is us you're talking about. Don't you see? We are each other's strength. We're connected. I can't explain it, but I know we are meant to be together-in every way."

Max looked at the beautiful girl standing before him, loving him, ready to give herself to him, ready to accept the unknown just to be with him. "I feel it, too, Liz. But know this. I love you, cherish you beyond anything in this world or any other. I will not take a chance with you. Don't ask me to."

Liz looked at his determined, loving face and knew there was no arguing. Besides, she reasoned, the rocky bank of the lake looked none too comfortable. There was plenty of time. She just needed to stop shaking!

"Come on," she said, reaching for his hand. "Let's get back to the camp. I'll wrap myself in your arms all night and dream of how it will be . . . someday."

Max smiled, sighing heavily, and squeezed her hand. When they returned to the campsite, Michael and Maria had taken their sleeping bags and zipped them into one large one. Alex and Isabel were in the process of doing the same thing.

"That's a good idea," whispered Liz, her eyes sparkling. They reach for their sleeping bags and began to unzip them. Off to her left, she noticed Kyle and Tess standing awkwardly near their own sleeping bags.

"What do you want to do, Tess?" asked Kyle.

"I don't know. How cold does it get up here at night?"

"Pretty cold," several people chimed in.

"Well, if it's going to keep us warmer, then maybe . . . ," she looked at Kyle questioningly. He smiled at her and started unzipping his sleeping bag.

When everyone was settled in, there was a chorus of goodnights. Liz snuggled close to Max and kissed his neck playfully. "Behave yourself, young lady," he chided.

"Or what?" she challenged back.

Max growled softly and pulled her tightly to him. They settled into a peaceful sleep.

**************

"Honeybear."

Liz looked around, unsure of where she was.

"Honeybear, I've been waiting for you."

"Grandma?"

"Yes, dear. I've been waiting for you and Max."

"Max? Why? Where are we?"

"It's time, dear. Time for me to tell you who you really are."

Part 1 | Index | Part 3
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.