FanFic - Max/Liz
"Taking a Step Back "
Part 19
by Mary N.
Disclaimer: Roswell, the characters, and situations are owned by the WB. No infringement intended.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Monday lunch time in the quad. Max and Liz still look like they're in a state of heavenly bliss as Max straddles the bench and Liz leans back into his chest. Maria and Michael, Alex and Isabel also look very relaxed and happy. Sandie sits quietly listening to Liz, Maria, and Isabel talk about their plans to go to the mall after school. They all grow quiet as Kyle joins them at the table.

Maria breaks the silence. "Well Kyle, we're all dying to know what your father said."

Everyone's eyes are fixed on Kyle, so they don't noticed Sandie's puzzled face. She again finds herself wondering what they were talking about. This make her feel out of place once again. Sandie shrugs off those negative thoughts, by reminding herself that she's new and that they didn't mean to leave her out. There are bound to be things about them that she doesn't know, just like there are things that they don't know about her. It's going to take time for them to learn about each other, at least here she has a group of people that are willing to try to get to know her. That's a big change from her past two schools. Her train of thought is broken when she hears Kyle's excited voice.

"I couldn't believe it, I actually won an argument with my dad. I don't remember exactly what I said to him, but it seemed to sink in. He did say that he was still going to keep and eye on Ma...." Kyle looked at Sandie who is now listening intensely; and answered, "My friends, but that he wouldn't forbid me from hangout with you guys. Get this, he still warned be that there are things about.... my friends that I don't know about."

They group starts to laugh and Sandie looks at them like they're all crazy.

Liz notices Sandie's reaction. She reaches over and touches her hand to get her attention. "Sorry Sandie, it just that Kyle knows more about all of us than the Sheriff would ever guess. And he's telling Kyle that he doesn't know us."

Sandie wonders why the Sheriff would have forbid Kyle from hanging out with them in the first place, and why the Sheriff would feel that he had to keep his eyes on them. "Are you guys in trouble with the Sheriff?" Sandie looks worried and scared.

"No, it's not like that. Kyle's dad has some....."

"Strange ideas." offers Kyle and Alex at the same time. They both smile at each other.

"Yeah, strange ideas, he believes that we're, well hiding something from him." Liz feels that they need to tell Sandie something. She doesn't want her thinking that they are in trouble with the law. "The thing is the Sheriff has this way about him that makes us nervous. So every time he starts talking to us we come across like we're lying even though we're not." She realizes that she's not making this very clear and gives up. "You'll see what I mean soon enough."

"He's really intimidating." Offers Isabel understanding how hard this is to explain without telling the real truth..

*****************************************

Kyle went to basketball practice, he told the others that he would meet them at the food court around 6:30. Max, Michael, and Alex went to the Mall with the girls but quickly separated from them. They wanted to check out some stores that the girls weren't interested in, and to be truthful the guys weren't into watching their ladies shop for makeup and clothes.

Liz, Isabel, and Maria are having a blast picking out clothes that they think will look great on Sandie. Sandie, for the first time is enjoying shopping. It isn't really the shopping that she is enjoying, it's all the attention that she's getting. The way that the girls are making her feel special and worth their time. She periodically pinches herself to make sure that it's not all a dream.

After they agree on three new outfits they head for the makeup counters of several different department stores. Between Isabel and Maria they pick out the perfect colors for Sandie's complection, and dark brown eyes and hair. Liz stands back watching how comfortable they all seem to be. She smiles to herself as she watched Sandie's whole face seem to shine compared to the first time she saw Sandie in the quad last Friday.

Liz looks at her watch. "Great it's 5:30 already. We need to pick up the pace ladies." Then they rush to an accessory store and pick out some jewelry and some hair supplies to go with Sandie's new clothes. They then rush to the women's restroom just off of the food court, where the girls convince Sandie to change into a pair of blue jean coverall shorts and an olive green cotton shirt with a V-neck and elbow length sleeves. Isabel helps Sandie apply her make-up, showing where and how to apply each item. Once the makeup is completed, Sandie runs her brush through her hair and accepts the headband that Liz is holding out to her. Looking into the mirror, she slides it into her hair.

"Perfection" Isabel pronounced as she stepped back to admire their work. She then looked at her watch. "Shall we go." They all walked out to the food court laughing and talking about the fun that they had. Isabel is the first to notice the guy sitting at a table waiting on them. They hide Sandie behind them as the approached the guys. Once directly in front of the four guys they stepped aside to show off Sandie's new look.

Alex gave his traditional thumbs up. Max and Michael nodded in approval of the changes as they pull their girls to them. Kyle was the most effected. "Wow!" was all he managed to say. Everyone turned to look at him. He shrugged it off. "So, she looks great!"

Sandie turned beet red as they all show their approval of her new look. She's relieved when Maria suggested that they all go check out the new nicknack store on the other side of the mall.

Maria had heard that the store carried some new aroma therapy candles and she wanted to check them out.

Alex, Isabel and Kyle decided to go to the music store next door instead. Alex wants to look at some guitars he sees hanging on the walls. While Isabel and Kyle want to see what new CD's are out.

Michael follows Maria back to the candles. He has been hoping for sometime alone with her, and is determined to find at least a brief moment.

Sandie heads over to look at some framed pictures leaning against the wall. She is hopping to find something that will look good with the decor of her new room.

Max and Liz head to the back corner to look at some Kachina dolls. Liz figures that since her father's birthday is next month, it would be a good time to start looking for the next Kachina doll for his collection. Liz smiles as she remembers how thrilled her father was last year. It was the first time she bought him a Kachina doll to go with his vast collection. She was thrilled when he placed it in the living room for all to see.

As Liz examines a Sun Maiden Kachina Doll; Michael and Maria come around the corner and startle her. Liz drops the figure and as it hits the ground three of the peddles from around the head break off. Max bends over and picks up the pieces. He stands up and looks around to see if anyone is watching and then using his powers, he fixes it.

Unknown to the four of them Sandie steps around the corner to see Max repair the last peddle. After she sees what he did, she steps back around the corner she came from. She starts telling herself, "That's impossible. That goes against everything I know. How could Max have done that. I must have imagined it." She tries to figure out why see would have imagined that Max has special powers. "I am tired, that's it, I'm just tired from unpacking, school, and shopping.'

"Hey Sandie did you find anything you liked." Asked Isabel as Alex, Kyle, and her enter the store. Isabel notices that Sandie looks chalky. "Are you okay Sandie?"

"I'm fine Isabel, I think that all of this shopping has warn me out a bit, that's all."

"What's this about being warn out?" questions Liz as Max, Michael, Maria, and she come around the corner.

Sandie notices that Liz is carrying the Kachina Doll. "Oh, um I was." She admits after a momentary loss of train of thought. "I'm just not used to all of this shopping." Sandie wants to get a better look at the doll to make sure that she was just seeing things. "That's really wild, can I look at it." After inspecting the doll she convinces herself that Max couldn't have done what she thought he did. She figures that she would have been able to sense something.

After checking out at the register Sandie insisted that she has to get off of her feet and rest for a few minutes. Maybe grab something to drink. For the next hour the group of friends sat around visiting until Liz declared that she has to get home and get some studying done. She invites Max to come over and study with her. She really wants time alone with him before the day is through. The others paired off as well, and Kyle volunteered to drive Sandie home.

The remainder of the week passed quickly. For the seven friends, but not for Sandie. She still feels like she's an outsider. She feels that the others are trying to make her feel a part of the group, but that there is something that they are intentionally keeping from her. At first she questioned if Liz and the others are into drugs or something even though she doesn't see any signs of it. She quickly dismissed it during the week when she noticed the disapproving glances they gave two boys how were smoking in the parking lot after school. She tried to tell herself that it is all in her imagination, but that didn't work. Every time she's joined them for lunch during the week they grew quiet as she walked up to them, or they would seemed to change subjects in mid stream. She could tell because after she sat down the conversation lagged like they weren't sure what the conversation was.

On Thursday, Sandie over heard Alex saying something about going to THE HOUSE tomorrow right after school. They all seemed to know what he was talking about, but again they quickly changed the subject when they realized that she was there. What was the deal with ‘the house', and why didn't they want her to know about it. Sandie hated these feelings that she had, she couldn't help wondering if her imagination was getting the better of her.

When Friday came she found herself wishing that they would invite her to go along. Whatever it was that they were going to do; she was dying to be apart of it.

Liz almost missed the sadness in Sandie's eyes at lunch time. She guesses that it's because they were all going out and hadn't invited her to join them. Liz has an idea, but she has to talk to Kyle about it. She doesn't think that he'll have a problem with it. She looks at the clock on the wall and realizes that she only has an hour before doctors appt. She quietly hopes that Kyle will get up to leave soon. She doesn't want Sandie to have any reason to think that she put Kyle up to what she is planning to put him up to.

After another 15 minutes Kyle finally gets up to go to his locker. Liz kisses Max good-bye. "I better get going Max, I don't want to be late. Maria I'll meet you at your locker okay? I have to grab a book from my locker." No one except for Max and Maria know what the appointment is for. The others figured that it was a regular doctor appointment. Max offered to go with Liz, but she refused the offer and told him that she had already asked Maria to go with her. The truth was Maria had her own appointment and they planned to be there for each other. This was their first appointment with a gynecologist, and they where both nervous. Liz found that the whole idea of a physical examination was making her really uncomfortable, but the idea of Max going with her made it even worse. The idea of the doctor knowing that she planned to be sexual active with just didn't sit well. At least with Maria there she figured that they could help each other through the awkwardness that they were sure they were going to feel.

Liz rushes to find Kyle, she spots him at his locker. As he closes his locker she grabs his arm and pulls him into the Eraser Room.

Stunned by the forcefulness that Liz displayed, Kyle jokingly asks, "Don't you thing the big guys going to be jealous?"

Liz can't believe that Kyle just said that. She smiles sincerely "Funny Kyle." Liz knows that both her and Max are secure in their relationship, and a meeting with Kyle; even in the Eraser Room wouldn't sway it. "Kyle, you like Sandie right?"

"What's this about Liz?" Even though Kyle feels that they have become really good friends, he doesn't feel comfortable talking to her about who he does or doesn't find attractive. She is still his Ex.

"Kyle just answer the question." Liz says impatiently as she looks at her watch.

"Yeah, she's sweet." he answers still wondering where this is going.

Confidently Liz states, "You think she's more than sweet. Don't forget that I was there Monday, and I heard your outburst when you saw her."

"Okay, so I think she's cute. Where is this leading?"

"I think that she's feeling left out. I mean, it's obvious that she knows that we are all going out tonight. But yet we didn't invite her to come along."

"Yeah, and what does this have to do with whether or not I like her. I have my game and then I planned to join you guys at the house. She can't come out to the house with us. That just wouldn't be smart."

I was hoping that after your game tonight, instead of joining us, you would ask her out. Take her somewhere; just the two of you." Liz looks at her watch again. "Kyle you wouldn't have to call it a date if you don't want to. Just tell her that we all went out as couples and that you wanted to do something besides going home after the game, and that you wondered if she would like to do the same."

"I'll ask her out." Kyle shifts his weight uncomfortable. "This is just to weird for me Liz. My ex-girlfriend setting me up on a date." Kyle heads to the door saying, " I better get details first thing when you guys get back from the house."

Liz rushes out to Maria's locker. "Where have you been?" She hears Maria ask as she approaches. "Liz, if we don't really hurry we're going to miss our appointments."

"I'm sorry Maria, I had to talk to Kyle about something."

*******************

Later that day Kyle catches up with Sandie in the hall and pulls her to the side. "Have you got any plans for the night."

Sandie looks at Kyle questioningly. She hoped that this was it. That he was going to ask her to join them at ‘the house' as Alex had called it. "Nothing to speak of. Why?"

"The others are going out as couples tonight, and I was hoping that you would come and watch the game tonight. Then afterwards, we could grab something to eat and a movie together."

Sandie was disappointed that he hadn't invited her to the house, but she was even more excited about going out an a date, a real date. She's never been on a real date before, and even though she would never admit it openly she thought that Kyle was really cute.

Before answering Sandie runs through a sequence of thoughts. [I know my mom will never approve of me going on a one on one date. And I've never been able to fool her about anything. Because of this connection that we have. She can read me so easily. Yeah, it's annoying sometimes, but at others I'm glad that she always seems to know when I'm upset about something.. I have to figure out a way to keep her from figuring out the truth about this one. Sandie realizes that Kyle is still waiting on an answer "Sure I'd like that, but can I just meet you at the game?"

**********************

Liz is grateful that Maria and she were going through this together. Otherwise, Liz is sure that she her fears would have gotten the best of her. She simply would have chickened out. Even though she is seeing a woman doctor she is still uncomfortable with having someone looking at the most intimate parts of her body.

When making these appointments Liz was grateful that she had a copy of her Medical card. She didn't have to go to her mother to set up her appointment, unlike Maria. Maria had to go through her mother and ended up telling her that in health class they advised all of the girls to get an exam if they hadn't had one. That it's important to be checked yearly after they started cycle. That was the easy part, because it was true. The hard part was convincing her mother that she could handle this on her own. That she would only be embarrassed if her mom brought her.

Liz sits in an examination room wishing that Maria and her could have been placed in the room together. It would have at least made the time go a little faster. As the doctor enters Liz sighs in relief that the waiting is over. She was sure that the wait would be the hardest part.

The Doctor looks at Liz's folder, "Hello Liz, I'm Dr. Jewel Keller and I be preforming your examination today with the assistance of Nurse Crandall.

The doctor explained what she was going to do and about the equipment that she was going to using before they even began. The doctor also described to Liz what she was about to do each step of the procedure. Which helped to calm Liz immensely, and even though she was uncomfortable with what was being done. She appreciated the scientific purposes for each step being preformed.

After the examination and Liz was redressed, the doctor came back into the room She stressed to Liz that if she indeed was planning to become sexually active that she needs to be careful. They briefly discussed the risks of sexual transmitted disease, and the fact that there is a higher risk of complications from teen pregnancies. Dr. Keller then covered the different forms of contraceptives available as well as the risks for each one. Liz chose to be put on the pill, and the doctor recommended which one was best for her. She then explained the directions, she wanted to make sure that Liz understood them completely.

Maria went through the same routine with Dr. Keller 10 minutes later.

************************

Right after school Alex, Isabel, Michael, and Maria drive out to the house in Alex's car.

Max and Liz took the jeep and headed for the Grocery Store to pick up some food for all of them to eat at the house later that evening. They all plan on staying late, and since the house is a secret and out in the middle of a 40 acre lot they figured they couldn't call pizza delivery.

While at the store Liz heads for the Pharmacy to gets her prescription filled.

**********************

Liz and Max drive out to the house in a peaceful silence. Liz is resting her head against Max's chest, while Max gently stokes her right arm. He can feel a definite difference in Liz from earlier. She had been apprehensive about her visit to the doctor, now that it is over she is relaxed and happy.

Liz fells so safe resting against Max's chest. She listens to his strong heart beat and relaxes knowing that one day, not to far in the future, they will be able to share themselves completely. She took the steps she needed to too protect them both from becoming parents before they are ready. At least she thinks she did, their is still some doubt that it will work for them because of his none human status. They don't even know that they can have kids together. They my be taking precautions that they don't even need to be taking. If only Nasado or Teomner would have shared that information with them. Teomner told them to wait until they were of an acceptable age for this world, but was that something that served his evil plan for them. Even if he'd have shared information with them, would they believe it now. Liz decide that she wouldn't. She would have believed Nasado, but he never had the chance to tell them anything on the subject. All Liz knows is that whatever happens to them they can handle it together.

The doctor prescribed 28-day packs which she is to start taking the first Sunday after her menstrual cycle begins. She also told her that for the first week after starting her prescription that she needed to use another form of contraceptive. That means just over two weeks considering her normal cycle.

Max looks down at the side Liz's face. At first he's not sure if she's awake of asleep, but then she smiles. He figures that she must have been able to tell that he was watching her. "Liz"

"Yes?" She asks smiling brighter at the sound of his voice.

"What were you thinking about just now?"

"About our future together."

**************************

Sandie wasn't completely sure that her mother believed her when she said that she was meeting her friends at the game. It was only a small lie she told herself. All she did was add and ‘S' after ‘friend'. She was just glad that her mother agreed that she could go. Sandie sits on the bleachers by herself. She doesn't mind though, because she sees Kyle checking on her every time he comes off of the court. Sandie finds that she's enjoying watching the basketball game. Both team have strong offences and defenses which led to a close game. As the finally buzzer sounded the gym exploded into a continual burst of loud cheers. Roswell won! 32 to 31. "I'll be ready in 20 minutes" Sandie heard Kyle say as he headed for the locker room.

************************

At the house, Max and Liz walk into the house where they are greeted by the two other couples sitting in the living room.

"Well it's about time you two got here. We were about to call in the national guard to try to track you down." Jokes Alex as he gets up to take the grocery bag from Liz "So, what kind of food did you bring for us today." he walks toward the kitchen followed by Max who is carrying two more bags. Alex looks into the bag on the way. "Whooo, it looks like party supplies to me."

Kyle and Sandie are sitting at the Crashdown grabbing a bite to eat. Getting along wonderfully. They are talking about their families and what their interest are. They finish eating and get up to head to the movies.

*******************

Max, Liz and the gang do a little more exploring outside. They broke up into three group so they could cover more territory. They search everything and anything that looks like it could be an opening. As dusk settles in they return to the house with long faces, each feeling a sense of disappointment.

Why was this affecting them this way, Liz asked herself. She didn't want Max, Michael, and Isabel to leave in the ship, and it was like they said, ‘They didn't even know how to fly it, even if they wanted to. They surly didn't know which planet to fly to, even if they did. Why did they need to find this ship so badly? Was it because it was a link to Max, Michael, and Isabel's past or was to their future? She couldn't be sure, but she felt the need to find it as much as they did. As they entered the living room once again, they sat solemnly trying to think of what to do next. There was always the Lab thought Liz, but what test should she run? She didn't know where to start. There were so many questions, but how was she to find the answers.

Liz had an idea, she stood up from her seat next to Max and pulled him with her, all the way to the Lab. Max stood there watching Liz as she pulled out the needed material she need to use with the microscope. "Max, I would like to see something. Do you remember the test we did the day I found out your secret?

"Sure, and the ones we've done since." He's puzzled, and patiently waits for her to continue.

"It's know secret that we've both been worried about whether we can actually protect ourselves from starting our family now or even if we have to. We don't even know if we can have kids together. What I was thinking is, how about we start small and see if there is any kind of a reaction between our cells."

The others start to come in. They were curious to find out why Liz pulled Max out of the room the way she did. At first they weren't sure if they should follow. They thought that she may have had something other than science on her mind, Biology maybe. When they saw that she left the door opened they figured it was all clear.

After they all entered she pulled out some more slides out of the drawer. She marked all of the slides so that she could tell who's was who's. Handing each person their slide and a swab. She then told them what to do. "I want you to take a cell sample from inside you check and smear it in the center of the slide." She then did one for herself. Max helped her add the iodine to make the results of the test visible. The Microscope is hooked to a large screen beside it. She turns it on and shows them what their cells look like. "Wait this isn't normal!" Liz pulls her slides off the microscope to make sure that she's looking at the right one. She then slides in Alex's followed by Maria's. "These don't look like normal cells."

Worry spreads over Max. "She's right, these don't look like the cells we looked at when we did these tests before." Max turns to Liz, "Did you bring home your biology book?"

"Yeah it's in my backpack still out in the jeep." Max rushes out and returns with the book. He opens the book to a page that shows want a normal cell looks like and shows the group. "Liz's, Maria's, and Alex's cells are changing."

Liz slides in Max's slide. "Max so are yours."

"What, what are you talking about?" He looks at the screen. He can see the difference in his cells as well. They look more like Liz's slide. Than the slide they made in the school lab.

Maria and Liz have the same thought at the same time. The test at the doctors office.

Liz can tell the Maria mind just shifted in to overdrive. "Maria, don't panic we can't be for sure that there's a problem. The test may come back normal."

"What test?" asks Isabel

Liz looks at Maria who nods at her. "Maria and I went in for pap smears today."

"You don't think that they would show anything do you?"

"Isabel, I don't know." Liz walks over to another drawer and pulls out a scalpel , and then pulls out an other slide. She makes a very small cut on her finger, just big enough to draw blood. She puts it on the slide, puts the cover on the slide and inserts it into the microscope. Her blood looks normal. "This is good." She then does the same to Maria. Her's also looks normal. "We don't have any reason to think that anything other than the cells in our mouths have changed at this point."

"Are you saying that just sit back and wait to find out that your test come back normal." Michael sounds extremely stressed.

"Look Michael, I know this isn't something you want to hear, but that's all we can do. The doctor's office sends the tests out to a lab on a daily basis. Let me do some more tests on Maria and myself to find out if we really have anything to worry about. I am sure of one thing if what ever is happening to us was going to harm us it would have already done so. Now we need to find out if we have to do some damage control. Isabel will you stay and help us." Isabel motions that she will. "Max, can you take these guys into the kitchen and put those pizza's into the oven. We'll be out as soon as we are done."

The guys leave the lab, Michael did so under protest, but Maria convinces him that there were some things that we didn't need the guys in the room for.

"Maria I know that you said that you and Michael haven't been intimate for real in any way other than kissing. Don't get mad now." Liz takes a deep breath and lets it out. "I have to make sure that you weren't lying."

"Liz! I can't believe you don't believe me."

"It's not that I don't believe you Maria, I just have to be for sure that there's been no contact there.

Maria thinks back to the time that Michael and her came really close. Thank heavens my mom came home. "No, there's been no contact."

Maria and Liz run every test that the three girls could come up with. Because they didn't know what a normal sample would look like on many of them they just looked of signs the new cells that they found in the mouth cells. As far as they could tell the changes hadn't spread beyond the recess of their mouths, were the contact was made.

Being relieved by their findings the girls walk into the kitchen to tell the guys. "Everything looks fine." The guys breath a sigh of relieve. Liz than continues, "We're going to have to be really careful because we don't know if it will spread. We just know that it hasn't so far." Liz looks straight at Max. "Don't you start pulling back from me. Whatever is happening isn't going to stop happening. By pulling back you can't protect me from this, and I really don't think that this is a bad thing. It could be a really great thing, only time will tell, and besides if we weren't supposed to be together than Nasado would have told us that. But he told us that we are meant to be together, and I don't think that he would have guided us through the ceremony if we weren't meant to be."

Max moves closer to Liz and takes her in his arms. "Don't worry I'm not going anywhere. I promised you that whatever we go through it would be together. That includes whatever is happening to us now."

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Back Max-Liz
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.