FanFic - Max/Liz
"Taking a Step Back "
Part 11
by Mary N.
Disclaimer: Roswell, the characters, and situations are owned by the WB. No infringement intended.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: R
The couples didn't dance only one more dance, they spent the next hour dancing in their each others arms.

All Max wanted to do was disappear into the dream world and share some one on one time with Liz. Feeling her body rubbing against his while they danced was making his blood boil. Needing to cool off, he steps back from Liz's grip, and takes her hand in his leading her back to the booth. Even though he was sure Liz knew of his physical reaction to this nights unexpected turn of events, he didn't want to advertise it to the rest of the group. The problem was trying to cool off with Liz beside him and the memories of last nights events running through his mind made it nearly impossible. Max tried telling himself that this meeting wasn't over, there were still things they needed to talk about. Max felt Liz's hand rest on his leg. He placed his hand over hers. "Liz, that's not helping me right now. If we're going to be together tonight, then we have to get this meeting over with."

"I know your right. I'll try and be good, but you are driving me crazy. Right now I wish this meeting were over already, because I could sure go for a cold shower about now."

"Oh no you don't, I don't want you to cool down that much." Turning his attention to the others in the room, Max knows they want this meeting to end just as much as he and Liz do. "Michael, Maria, Isabel, and Alex; I hate to break this party up, but we still have a few things to figure out before we can get out of here.

They all sit in their original seats. "What do we need to talk about Maxwell?"

"Michael I want to get out of here as much as you do , but we have to figure out what all this means."

I thought you already did. Didn't you say it was like a marriage ceremony? Isabel questions.

We said that's what it reminded us of. We don't know that for sure. And if these are shared dreams like Teomner said, then why are we hearing someone else's voice? Who's giving us these messages, and why is mine and Liz's different than Michael and Maria's. What do the messages mean?

"Look everyone, the main thing we need to figure out are the messages. Mine and Max's was ‘You are now one. Let love be your strength.' What was yours' and Michael's, Maria?"

"And two become one. Through love there is acceptance. Look for similarities, respect differences."

"Ok, the first part is just two ways of saying the same thing. The second part is where the messages are different. Love is strength, and through love is acceptance, look for similarities accept differences."

Alex who has been quiet and listened most of the night is done listening. He's heard enough and now it's time to say his piece. "To me it sounds like someone knows you guys very well." Liz, Maria we've been friends for along time, I've seen how your relationships with these spaceboys of your has developed. If I were to give you advice for the future; I could see myself giving you similar advise. Come on guys ease up. Everything in life doesn't have to be a puzzle. We are going to run into so many problems in the future because we are charting uncharted territory. You know, going boldly where no one has gone before. Our lives left normal along time ago, and now we have to take one day at a time. Yes we need to be preparing for what may come, but why waste precious time worrying about things we can't control."

Time was passing faster than any of them had realized. Maria was the first to notice the time. "Shoot it's already 11:30! I still have to cleanup this place!"

"Calm down Maria, It's not that bad, and we can help." Offers Liz

***********************

It didn't take long to clean up the Crashdown when they all worked together. Max and Isabel got home shortly after midnight. They said their goodnights and went straight to their rooms. Max is laying in his bed when he reaches for the phone. As he picks up the phone he thinks thank goodness he has his own phone line other wise he and Isabel would be fighting nightly over who gets to use the phone.

(Max had his own answering machine in Leaving Normal i.e. own phone line.)

"Yea, I'm sorry I can't come over tonight. I don't know what time my dad plans to get started with our semi-annual garage cleaning. It turned into a Father/son event years ago. It's a time when we catchup, you know."

"I understand Max. I know my dad would go ballistic if I was gone in the morning, and he didn't know where I was. Max, I think it's great that you and your dad want to spend time together. Don't ever apologize for that. It's one of the many things I love about you, your strong since of family.

"As much as I enjoy hearing that, it still doesn't make being away from you any easier. I'm going to miss waking up beside you."

**************************

Max and Liz holding hand sitting side be side as the waves wash up on the beach.

"Max have you noticed that the sky always seems to look the same as it would if we were awake? I mean it seems to be the same time here as it is in reality."

"Now that you mention it I think your right."

"I suppose it's a good thing, that way we'll know when morning is coming."

"What's wrong Liz?"

"Nothings wrong, Max. What could possible be wrong? Have I given you any reason to think something is wrong?"

"Liz, I know you. When I called you tonight, and now that we are here. You haven't been acting yourself. Your more quiet, and everything you have said, has been distant. What's really on your mind?"

"I'm scared Max, and I can't explain why. I'm just being foolish."

He turns to face her. "If your afraid then I'm sure there is a reason. Talk to me."

"Earlier, after you left tonight. I was sure that you had come back over. I thought that I heard you out on the balcony, but obviously it wasn't you. I was going to check it out when you called. At the time I chalked it up to the wind. I was just glad to hear your voice."

Puzzled, "Why are you worried about it now? Are you saying you think it was more than the wind?"

"Max, I don't know what it is. All I know is that since entering this dream I've had a bad feeling that trouble is lurking out their watching us. Tonight at the Crashdown, when we heard that loud bang from the kitchen. I know we didn't imagine that. Then outside my room I heard something. It feels wrong, really wrong."

"I'm hoping your wrong, but just incase I'm coming over."

"Max, no!. Your dad expects you to be there in the morning. I don't want you getting in trouble over my over active imagination. I'll be fine as long as you promise to come over when your through with your dad.

"Liz, I'd feel a lot better if I came over. Besides I really want to wake up with you beside me. I'll just leave a note for my dad telling him I went out for a run, and that I'll be right back."

"Thank you Max, I'll see you when you get here. I'm going to get some sleep now. All the sudden I'm so tired."

"Liz? We are asleep."

Liz leans her head against his shoulder and drifts off to sleep.

"Hello, Max right?"

Max stands to his feet, and quickly looks around to find who's talking to him. There is now one around except Liz who appears to be in a deep sleep. "Who's there?"

"I could tell that you had connected with this one. I can see why your attracted with her, she's delish, but to make a connection with her? Careless Max, really careless. You've left yourself wide open. I hope she was worth it, because now you are mine. As long as I possess her, I possess you."

"What are you talking about, possessing her?"

"You really are naive aren't you, hum, in time you'll see boy, you'll see.

***********************

Max wakes up sitting straight up in his bed. "Liz!"

Max rushes into Isabel's room. "Isabel! Isabel! Wake up!"

Rubbing the sleep from her eyes, "What is wrong with you Max. This better not be you getting even with me for waking you up the other night."

"Tell me you haven't completed the connection with Alex, tell me!"

"What the he....."

Max frantically cuts her off, "Just tell me if you have or haven't!"

"We haven't" Isabel now looking at her brother wide awake. She sees the fear in his face. "Max what's going on."

"What ever you do, don't! Call Michael, tell him to get to Maria as fast as he can. Then meet me at Liz's." He rushed into his room slid on some jeans, grabbed a shirt, his shoes, and his keys and rushed out of the house.

Isabel picked up her phone and called Michael's. There was no answer. After thinking briefly she called Maria's.

Maria, thank goodness. Is Michael there?

Maria would tell something was wrong by the tone of Isabel's voice. "What's wrong Isabel?"

Michael pulled the phone from Maria's hand. "Is what's wrong?" I'm not sure, Max woke me up, he was frantic. He told me to have you go to Maria, and that we were to meet him at Liz's"

"Got it, we'll be there."

She next called Alex, after a few rings he picks up. You can still hear the sleep in his voice. "Alex something is wrong, can you pick me up right away?"

Picking up on the stress in her voice. Alex wakes up quickly, without questioning what's happened and answers, "I'll be right over." He figures that the sooner he gets there the better.

**********************

Isabel is standing outside in the driveway when Alex pulls up in his dad's car. "What's going on Isabel?"

"I'm not sure yet, but we have to get to Liz's now!"

Alex sees the fear in Isabel's eyes and turns his attention to shifting the car into drive.

**********************

Isabel and Alex knock on the upstair alley door.(Liz's Residence)

Michael opens the door. "Liz's room." Was all he said before turning and heading back to her room. Isabel followed quickly. Alex closed the door then followed. As they walked into Liz's room they are shocked by Liz's pale appearance. "Max what happened? She looks almost dead."

Max was grateful that Liz's parent's were both down stairs working in the Cafe this morning. If they had seen the way Liz looked they would have called for an ambulance and would have taken her to the hospital. Which he knew wasn't going to help her, only they could. "While we were dreaming, we were talking about the noise from the kitchen last night, she told me that see thought she heard someone on her balcony just before I called. The next think I know she's telling me she's tired, and falls asleep. It's weird, we were already asleep. Then I hear this voice."

"The same voice as before?" questions Isabel.

Max stands up from beside Liz and starts to pace the floor. "No, this was different. But I think I've heard this voice before. I just can't remember where." Max looks frustrated, he takes a deep breath and sighs, then continues telling them what he knows. "He said that by making a connection with Liz, I left myself open to him. That he somehow owns me. As long as he possess Liz, he posses me."

"What's that supposed to mean!?" Michael looks over at Maria. He's worried that the same thing would happen to her. If anything happened to her... nothing is going to happen to her. I'll make sure of it.

Alex Still shocked by Liz's appearance hasn't taken his eyes off of his friends face. "How does he possess her? She's right here. Looking sick granted, but she's here."

Max stops pacing the floor and looks at his four friends, than at Liz. "I think he possess her mind. Who ever this guy is, he talked to me in mine and Liz's dream." He starts to pace again. "I knew by being with her, she would be in danger. Why didn't I just stay away?"

Isabel steps into his path. Max looks up in to her eyes. "Max, this isn't your fault. You couldn't know that this would happen. None of us could. Teomner told you that it was okay. That the three of us were supposed to accept three others into our lives. He told you that....oh no Max, could whoever this is be this great evil we're supposed to fight against?

Max sits down on the bed next to Liz, he gently kisses her forehead and he sees a flash.

A man with a dark complection, he looks like he's of American Indian or Mexican decent. The figure stands over Liz, slowly touches her face, then walks away.

"There was someone here!"

"Who Max, who was here!? Isabel move over beside her brother, the rest of the group looks intensely at Max waiting for an answer to Isabel's question.

"I don't know who he is, but I have a feeling Riverdog might. This guy look like an American Indian."

"Okay Max, it's time to see Riverdog. If he's not back from his retreat, we'll get Eddie to take us to him. We're going to get some answers."

Maria:"Hold on Michael we can't just leave Liz here like this. Her parents would freak."

"We can't take her traipsing around the reservation." "Let's take her to the cave, she be safe there."

"Do you think it safe to move her?" "Is, we don't have a choice?"

Max, Michael, and Alex carefully carry Liz to the Jeep parked in the alley at the bottom of the steps. Max sits in back supporting Liz's head in his lap.

Kyle decided to come by for breakfast instead of lunch. He figured that he would be able to spend some time alone with Liz without the group all being there. He noticed Max's jeep pull out of the alley in a hurry. Followed by Alex and Isabel following close behind. He rushed back to his car and followed.

Michael was driving the jeep with Maria in the front seat beside him. As he pulled into the reservation, he stopped long only enough to let Maria jump out. Then he drove back as far as he could to the cave. Max and Michael carried Liz into the cave.

We'll find him Max. I promise. Michael turned, and exited the cave. He jumped back in the jeep and headed back to the reservation. As he pulled up Maria was finishing a conversation with an older woman.

When Maria spotted Michael, she thank the woman for her help, and walked over to meet Michael. "How is she?"

"She is safe in the cave. What have you found out?"

That lady said that Riverdog came back a week ago, and that he's been spending a lot of time with the son of an old friend of his. I hope Alex and Isabel are having better luck."

Alex and Isabel climbed out of the car, and went into the Indian shop. They talked to a woman that worked there. She looked to be in her mid thirties.

"Hello?" Isabel said, trying to sound calm, and polite. "Were trying to find a couple of friends of ours. Eddie and Riverdog. Do you know where we might find them.

"Eddie is probably close by, if he wants to see you. He'll come to you." They walked back outside and tried to wait calmly beside the car. Alex saw the tears forming in Isabel's eyes, and moved into hold her.

Isabel was surprise that Alex seemed so calm. Liz and Alex had been close for so long, and she had only really gotten to know her in the last few months. Yet, she was the one falling apart. She realized that he must still be in shock.

Kyle parked his car around the corner from Alex's car. He wanted to see what they were up to. He watched as Isabel burst in to tears in Alex's arms. He knew something was terribly wrong. He began walking towards them when a young man walked up to them. He stopped and just watched as Alex and Isabel jumped back in the car and the young man took off running toward some small houses. Kyle rushed back his car and followed Alex.

Michael and Maria spotted Alex's car coming down the road. They both rushed back toward the road. They also spotted Kyle's car following a distance behind.

They didn't get to the road in time to stop Alex or Kyle's car from passing them by. Jumping in the jeep they headed back to the cave, hoping to prevent Kyle from finding out what was going on.

As they pulled up Kyle was bombarding Isabel and Alex with questions.

Michael was furious that he had to deal with Kyle right now. They didn't have time for this. "Kyle Valenti, what are you doing here! You have no business here, so get...

"No, Michael"

Michael turns around to see Riverdog, Eddie, and another man coming up behind him.

Riverdog motioned to Kyle. "Is he someone who cares about her?"

Michael turned and looked at Kyle then at Maria and Alex.

Maria answered before Michael could. "He cares, but he doesn't know."

"Young man, if you enter this cave, you will be accepting the responsibility of keeping an important secret. If this secret were ever revealed it will ruin many lives, and you will be placing your own in life in grave danger. If you can except the responsibility this carries you have a friend who needs your help." Riverdog motions for them all to enter the cave.

Maria turns to Kyle who now looks puzzled. She simply says, "Liz."

*************************

Kyle follows Maria into the cave. After taking a moment to let his eyes adjust to the soft lighting, he notices Max sitting on the ground near the center of the room. Liz's head was resting in his lap, and he is slowly stroking her hair. The look on Max's face told Kyle that whatever was happening to Liz was bad, really bad. He recognized the expression on Max's face from the hospital while Liz was in surgery. Kyle's legs went weak as the sudden rush of fear hit him like a fast moving train. He shifted his weight trying to regain his balance. After steadying himself, he moved as quickly as his unstable legs would carry him.

Max heard foot steps of several people coming into the cave and drawing closer to his and Liz's location. When he looked up, he was shocked to see that Kyle was with them.

Kyle could now see how pale Liz looked. He quickly turned his gazed to match Max's, he was hoping for some kind of hint or clue to what had happened to Liz. But what he saw unsettled him even more, Max's tear stained cheeks and his look of fear. Kyle realized that now not only was Max afraid for Liz, but for the whole group.

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Part 12
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.