FanFic - Max/Liz
"It Was Supposed to Be You"
Part 9
by Faile
Disclaimer: Roswell and the characters, and situations are owned by the WB and Melinda Metz. No infringement intended.
Summary: This story is based upon the idea that Max knew Liz in his previous life.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG
Authors Note: For those of you who read this on message boards as I was writing it. I have changed the names of the podsters in their past lives to match the names we learned during Meet the Dupes. I've also changed past life events to match up better with what we know. The rest of this story is post “The End of the World” only I’m not going to deal with Michael discovering Courtney being a Skin. I’m going to focus on Max and Liz.
Max heard a soft knock at his door. He turned in bed to look at his clock. It read 4:00, which didn't make sense. He sat up in bed and looked around his room. The curtains were drawn, but it looked like sun was coming through the curtains. It must be 4pm, which would mean he slept the whole day away and it was a school day. Max heard the soft knock again. He reached over to turn on the lamp and said, "Come in."

The door slowly opened and Diane Evans peaked inside. "Hey honey, did I wake you?"

"Yeah, but it's okay," Max said stretching and sitting up in his bed. He couldn't believe he slept the whole day away. He really did try to do too much yesterday. He was up at the Granolith working on the memory recovery techniques for 9 or 10 hours and then coming back here to dream walk with Isabel. "Look about yesterday," Max started unsure what he was going to say.

"Don't worry about it, honey," Diane interjected and walked over to sit on Max's bed. "Isabel explained. But next time you should go to the nurse’s office if you aren't feeling well. I can come and pick you up. But if for some reason you can't and you go over to Michael's again, please call me or have Michael call me. Your father and I were really worried."

Max nodded apologetically. Good old Isabel. She was getting pretty good at lying.

"I called the school and they said you can make up your Trig test tomorrow," Diane reached up and put her hand on Max's forehead to see if he was warm. "You've never gotten sick before. Have you been pushing yourself too much lately?"

"I just needed some rest, I think," Max explained. "I haven't been sleeping well."

Diane nodded. "Well, you seem better now, but don't go pushing yourself, okay?"

Max nodded and smiled at his mother. "I've slept the day away, I guess."

Diane stood up and went over to the window. She opened the curtains and let the afternoon sun into Max's room then opened the window. "Yes, you certainly did. When Isabel said you weren't feeling well and you just needed to sleep, I was so worried, Max. I came in here this morning and you were dead to the world." Diane turned and smiled at Max. "You look much better now, though."

Diane walked to the bedroom door. "Your father and I have a dinner date tonight. We're meeting some important clients of his in Albuquerque and unfortunately we can't postpone, but if you need anything don't hesitate to call me."

Max nodded. He was lucky his parents were so understanding. Most parents wouldn't let their kids leave and do things on their own, the way he and Isabel did sometimes. But he guessed that they trusted him and Isabel. They never got in any real trouble. It may also have something to do with being adopted. He would probably never know. They were just amazing parents.

"We'll probably end up staying the night in Albuquerque, so promise me you won't have any wild parties," Diane said jokingly.

"But Mom…" Max joked as he flipped back his bedcovers and swung his legs over the side of the bed.

Diane smiled at her son and started to leave, then stopped. "I almost forgot. Maria called. She said if you know what's good for you, you’ll meet her at the Crashdown later. She said she's working from 5:30 until close."

"Thanks, Mom. Have a good time tonight," Max said then Diane left, closing his bedroom door behind her.

"Maria," Max muttered. He didn't know if he could face Maria just yet, but knowing Maria, if he didn't go to her, she would come to him. He just hoped Liz wasn't working. He didn't think he was ready to see her yet. Despite everything he learned yesterday about his past, the pain of talking to her was still there and it was still very raw.

Max stood up and walked over to the bathroom and turned on the water in the sink. He splashed water on his face and then looked at his reflection in the mirror. As he looked in the mirror, Max recalled everything he saw in his dream last night. It was strange to recall a previous life on another planet. The man he saw lying on the ground dying and then later at Arya's bedside was him. At least it was who he used to be. The guy looked to be in his mid thirties and human. That certainly didn't make any sense. Max supposed it was possible his perception in the dream was distorted because he had been raised human. He doubted the people on his home planet looked anything like he did.

Max turned off the water, walked back to his bed, and laid down. He remembered so well his love for Arya. Max was afraid he'd made a mistake by recovering those memories. Arya was long dead and he didn't even remember the details of their time together. All he did remember was that he loved her desperately and she had sacrificed her happiness so that he could fulfill his duty to his family and his people. Then she sacrificed her own life to help him and his people. It was a sad memory. One he didn't wish he had now. But why was he so desperate to find out who she was? Thinking of Arya now just brought up thoughts of Liz. The love he felt for Liz was very much like the love he felt for Arya in his previous life. But Liz was not Arya. She would not sacrifice herself for him. Its not like he would want her to. All he wanted was to make her happy, but Liz told him last week that she didn't want to be with him. She said she wanted to have a normal life and be in love with normal boys. That was something he couldn't give her.

The Granolith is what he needed to focus on. He now knew why the Granolith was here on earth. He also knew that in the wrong hands the Granolith could be very dangerous. It contained a great power, a power unimaginable by earth standards. The Granolith housed the life force of all those who lived before him on his planet. As people died on his planet, their life force was transferred to the Granolith, to be preserved and later used for the good of all the people. Just thinking about it was overwhelming to Max. His family had been entrusted with the Granolith for generations. Now it would finally be put to good use. It was very important that he keep it safe. He also had to learn more about it. Someday it will probably help him, Isabel, Michael, and Tess get home and free his people.

Max heard the front door open. He looked at the clock that now read 4:30pm. He figured it was about time he got moving. Last thing he needed was Isabel harassing him for being a lazy bum. Max quickly showered and got dressed. When he got to the kitchen, Isabel was looking at a fashion magazine and eating left over pizza.

"Hey," Max said opening the fridge and grabbing the orange juice.

Isabel looked up from her magazine and smiled. "You look so much better. I was so scared last night when you collapsed in your dream. I ended up sitting by your bed the whole night just to make sure you were okay."

Max reached into the cupboard for a glass and grabbed the bottle of Tabasco Sauce that was on the counter then headed over to join his sister at the kitchen table. "I feel a lot better now. I slept very well and I had no dreams."

"Good," Isabel said, reaching for the Tabasco Sauce and putting some on her pizza. "You wanna talk about what you learned last night. I saw what you saw, but you seemed to be remembering things as you saw them."

Max nodded. “I did remember things, not everything, but enough,” Max started. He wasn’t sure he wanted to tell Isabel about Arya. He needed to know about her for his own sake. He wasn't ready to share her with Isabel. "I learned what the Granolith is, but I think I should wait till we're all together. Michael and Tess need to hear it too," Max said finally.

"Can you give me a hint?” Isabel said with a smile, “And what about Arya?"

Max hesitated and poured his orange juice. Maybe he should tell Isabel about Arya. She had been really there for him the last 2 days and she discovered to know everything. Of course, if what Isabel told him last night was true, it might have been partly Isabel's fault that Arya died. Max didn't want to upset Isabel anymore about what happened in her previous life. It didn't matter to him what she did or did not do back then; all that mattered was that Isabel was his sister and he loved and trusted her now. "The Granolith can wait until we can get together with Tess and Michael," Max said finally, reaching for the Tabasco Sauce that Isabel had just used and putting it in his orange juice.

"And Arya?" Isabel continued not willing to let it go yet.

Max looked at his sister. "I don't want to talk about that. It's not important."

Isabel nodded and let it go seeing Max wasn’t going to budge. "So Maria cornered me in school today."

"I really need to talk to her."

"No kidding!" Isabel exclaimed. "She wouldn't even let me explain you weren't feeling well. She just ranted something about the eraser room."

Max shook his head. He should probably go over to the Crashdown now and talk to Maria. Maybe he could catch her before she started her shift. Max finished his orange juice and got up. "I'm going to head over to the Crashdown and try and catch Maria. Could you maybe call Michael and Tess and see if they want to meet at the Granolith Friday night?"

"Am I becoming your secretary now?" Isabel asked smartly, and then smiled.

Max patted Isabel on her head, "More like my gopher."

"You better run out of here!"

Max smiled and left. It was time for him to talk to Maria. He hoped things were going better between her and Michael. He hadn't been a very good friend for the past week. He'd been too preoccupied with what was happening between him and Liz. Again Max wondered if Liz would be at the Crashdown. Whether she was or not it really didn't matter. He would have to get used to seeing her again. Roswell was a small town and they shared the same friends. It's not like he could avoid her forever.

Part 8 | Index | Part 10
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.