FanFic - Max/Liz
"It Was Supposed to Be You"
Part 6
by Faile
Disclaimer: Roswell and the characters, and situations are owned by the WB and Melinda Metz. No infringement intended.
Summary: This story is based upon the idea that Max knew Liz in his previous life.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG
Authors Note: For those of you who read this on message boards as I was writing it. I have changed the names of the podsters in their past lives to match the names we learned during Meet the Dupes. I've also changed past life events to match up better with what we know. The rest of this story is post “The End of the World” only I’m not going to deal with Michael discovering Courtney being a Skin. I’m going to focus on Max and Liz.
Max walked out of English, only one more class until Trig and until he saw Liz. The morning had gone by pretty slow. He didn’t remember anything his teachers said. All he could think about was what he would say to Liz when he saw her. He had been careful this morning to avoid running into her in the hallway. He needed to think through things before he saw her.

Max was lost in a daze as he headed toward his next class. All of a sudden he heard his name being called behind him. He knew it was Maria. He just didn't want to talk to her right now. He'd been avoiding her since he saw Liz and Kyle together. Max continued down the hall as if he didn't hear a thing.

"Max Evans I know you can hear me. You better stop right now or you'll be sorry," Maria yelled from behind him, not caring that her voice carried down the hallway or that half the school heard her.

Max stopped walking and turned to face Maria. He watched as she approached him and he could tell she was furious and very determined. She had an air about her that just screamed 'you are going to talk to me whether you like it or not'. Michael once called her a 'vibrator', Max now understood what Michael was talking about.

Max didn't blame Maria for being angry. She had called several times over the past few days, but he never returned her calls. He didn't want to talk to her about Liz. He was afraid that Maria would know about Liz and Kyle and he didn't want her sympathy.

"We need to talk," Maria said planting herself in front of Max.

"Sure, call me later, right now I have class," Max said lightly. He then tried to turn to leave, but Maria reached out and grabbed his arm to stop him.

"You haven't returned my calls all week," Maria said pausing to let go of his arm and wait for him to face her again. "And you've been avoiding me here at school too. Now I know you have gym next period and I also know that Mr. Krebbs, the gym teacher, is out sick today, so you and I are going to have a little talk right now,” Maria said firmly.

Max looked at Maria. She looked extremely determined. He felt kind of bad about avoiding her. Over the summer they had really bonded over lost loves and become close friends. She was actually one his best friends. She was one of the few people who knew his deepest secret, but she was Liz's best friend and that’s why he was avoiding her. He didn't want to discuss what was happening with Liz with her. Max sighed. He knew it was hopeless. When Maria got an idea in her head, she became determined to follow through with it and right now Maria was determined to talk to Max. Max just hoped that talking to Maria would give him the answers he needed.

"You want to take a walk outside?" Max asked turning to head toward the school's exit.

Maria nodded and followed Max outside. As soon as they stepped outside Maria asked hesitantly, “Have you seen Michael lately?”

Max turned to Maria. She was looking around trying to be nonchalant, but not really succeeding at it. “No, not recently. I’ve been kind of busy,” Max said slowly and started to lead Maria across the school grounds. When they got to a bench, which was far enough from the walkway so that people walking by wouldn’t overhear them, Max sat down and placed his backpack on the ground beside him. He looked out over the grounds. There were a few students walking around. He assumed they had free periods. A couple of teachers were coming in from the parking lot. They were carrying cup holders filled with what looked like coffee cups. They must have just gotten back from a coffee shop, maybe the coffee maker in the teacher's lounge was broken.

"Earth to Max,” Maria said interrupting his thoughts.

Max moved uncomfortably on the bench and muttered, "Sorry." He really didn't want to have this conversation. He'd already spilled the beans to Isabel. He didn't want to tell anyone else, not yet. Not until he talked to Liz. Of course it was possible Maria already knew and that would be worse. "So what's up?" Max asked looking toward the parking lot, avoiding eye contact with Maria.

"Well,” Maria started, “Where to begin. You haven't been returning my calls, Liz is being distant, and Michael is fooling around with that tramp Courtney."

"What?" Max looked at Maria surprised. He had really been out of it lately. “Michael and Courtney, when did this happen?”

"Look, that doesn't matter right now. I mean I can't believe Michael would fall for her crap, but he's a guy. I just hope she's not playing him for a fool."

"Maria…" Max looked at Maria. He couldn't believe her reaction. He knew how she felt about Michael.

"I don't know what else to do Max, I can't keep pining after him like a schoolgirl," Maria said simply, but Max could see that Michael had really hurt her. "I’m more concerned about you and Liz right now. What's going on with the two of you?"

Max looked out at the parking lot again. He didn't know what to say. Obviously Maria didn't know about Liz and Kyle or else she wouldn't be asking him what happened. "Liz made it perfectly clear she didn't want to be with me the other night."

"Yeah, you told me about that, but you seemed so determined to still pursue her. Why have you changed your mind? She won't talk to me about it. Every time I bring up your name, she asks me to drop it."

Max didn't know what else to say. He couldn't tell Maria the truth, but maybe she could help him out. "Could you do me a favor Maria?" Max asked looking at Maria. After Maria nodded, Max continued, "Could you get Liz to go to the eraser room after Trig? Maybe tell her your upset about Michael and you really need to talk to her."

"So you’re not going to tell me what's going on?" Maria asked.

Max shook his head no and said, "I can't. I need to talk to Liz. Will you help me?"

Maria took a deep breath and reached into her bag for one of those bottles of oils that she carried around. Max smiled as he watched her open it and take a big whiff. After Maria, put it back, she looked to Max and said, "I'll get her there, but you better tell me what's going on soon. I can't stand having two of my best friends in the world not telling me things."

Maria stood up and started walking back toward the school. Max picked up his backpack and rushed to catch up to her. "Thanks, Maria," Max said as he caught up with her.

"Don't thank me. I’m beginning to think the two of you don’t think I can keep a secret or something. At least Alex is still being honest with me. It is only out of deep concern for both you and Liz that I'm not wailing on you right now and forcing you to tell me exactly what is going on. I must tell you Max Evans, you are really testing my friendship here. Liz has obviously been upset lately, and she won't tell me why. If I didn't know you so well, I would think you did something to hurt her, but that just doesn't sound like you," Maria vented. She started picking up her pace out of frustration. Suddenly she stopped and turned to Max. "You better not hurt her Max. If you do, I will never forgive you," Maria said seriously.

Max stopped himself from saying anything. He knew Maria was concerned about her friend and she had no idea that it was Liz who did the hurting in this situation. Max wondered why Liz had been so upset lately. Did she regret what happened with Kyle? She told him the night before he saw her in bed with Kyle that it was over, that she wanted to fall in love with normal boys. Max couldn’t believe she could sleep with Kyle so soon after saying that she loved him. None of it made any sense. Why would she do this to him? “So you’ll get her to the eraser room?” Max asked when they got to the steps that led up to the school entrance.

“Yes,” Maria said, “and you better fill me in on what’s happening soon.”

“Maria,” Max said softly. “I’m sorry about Michael.”

“It’s not your fault Max. Some guys don’t think with their brain, they let other things lead their actions,” Maria said lightly. “Anyway, there’s nothing you can do. You have enough to worry about.” Maria smiled and then walked up the steps and into the school leaving Max alone with his thoughts.

Max walked up a few stairs and then sat down on the steps. He didn’t want to go back into the school. Only one more class then he could talk to Liz. He supposed he should look over his Trig notes. After all, he did have a test next period. Max reached into his backpack and pulled out his notebook. He opened it up and started glancing over his notes. He looked up when he heard a loud car pulling into the parking lot. He was surprised to see Kyle’s Mustang. Max started to get up. He really did not want to run into Kyle, but then he stopped. Liz was getting out of the passenger’s side.

Max sat back down and watched them together. Liz was smiling and laughing. He remembered the night when he saw them together. Max was climbing up the ladder and when he got on her balcony he heard her laughing. But then he walked over to her window and what he saw when he looked in the window, he would never forget. He could still see it when he closed his eyes. She was lying in bed with Kyle. Her bare leg was sticking out from under the covers and she was gripping the covers to her bare chest. She was of course shocked to see him. He didn’t tell her he was coming over. Max couldn’t face them now, not together. He reached for his backpack which suddenly spilled open. They were almost to him and there was no way to avoid running into them.

Max carefully gathered his stuff and when he stood up Liz and Kyle were standing at the bottom of the steps looking up at him. Liz was no longer smiling and laughing. In fact, she looked rather pale. Kyle looked from Max to Liz, obviously uncomfortable with the situation, but unsure what to do. Finally Kyle broke the silence. “Hey Max.”

“Hey,” Max replied, not looking at Kyle. He couldn’t take his eyes off Liz, but she wasn’t looking at him. She was looking at the ground. “Liz, can I talk to you?”

Kyle looked at Liz who was still looking down and took a step forward obviously wanting to protect Liz. “Look, Max,” Kyle started, but stopped when Max looked at him.

Max felt anger boiling in him. He couldn’t help it. The thought of Kyle protecting Liz was too much. “This is none of your business, Kyle.”

“Look, Evans, it is my business. I don’t think Liz wants to talk to you, so just leave her alone.”

Max walked down the steps toward Kyle. He stopped at the step just above where Kyle was standing so he towered over him. “I don’t think that’s your decision Kyle.” Max then turned to Liz and continued, “Liz, please. We need to talk.”

Kyle was about to say something when Liz nodded her head. “It’s okay Kyle.” She looked to him and said, “Thanks, I can handle it from here.”

Kyle looked from Liz to Max and then retreated. “I’ll wait inside Liz.”

Liz nodded and watched as Kyle went up the stairs and into the school. After Max heard the door close, Liz turned and looked up to Max. “What do you want to talk about?” Liz asked.

Max stepped down so he wouldn’t tower over her. “Can we sit for a minute?” Max asked.

Liz shook her and said, “I don’t think so, Max.”

“Okay we can stand.” Max looked around hesitantly unsure what to say next. “Liz, what I saw,” Max started, “I don’t understand.”

“What do you want me to say, Max?”

“Explain to me what happened. I mean…” Max stopped. He couldn’t say it out loud.

“I think you know what happened and I don’t think there’s anything to say,” Liz said and then started walking up the stairs.

Max grabbed Liz’s arm and stopped her. Liz turned and looked up to him. “Let me go.”

“No, not until you explain to me what happened. What I saw makes no sense. You…and Kyle.” Max could feel his grip tightening on Liz’s arm as he was talking so he let her go. “Sorry,” he whispered. He didn’t like that he was losing control.

Liz nodded. “Things happen, Max. I don’t think I can make you understand. So just let it go," Liz said looking Max in the eye. “Let me go.”

Liz continued up the stairs and Max watched her. He wanted to stop her, but he didn’t know what else to say. She had no explanation. Things happen? Max wanted to scream. How could she do that to him? He almost ran after her, but then he remembered that Kyle was waiting for her inside. Max couldn’t take it. He couldn’t go to trig. He couldn’t stand seeing her. He needed to get away. Max grabbed his backpack and headed toward his jeep. He decided to go get Tess and head out toward the Granolith. She didn’t know that going there helped him; maybe it would help her too. He just knew he couldn’t be here anymore, near Liz. He had to get away and somehow take his mind off Liz.

Part 5 | Index | Part 7
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.