FanFic - Max/Liz
"It Was Supposed to Be You"
Part 1
by Faile
Disclaimer: Roswell and the characters, and situations are owned by the WB and Melinda Metz. No infringement intended.
Summary: This story is based upon the idea that Max knew Liz in his previous life.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG
Authors Note: For those of you who read this on message boards as I was writing it. I have changed the names of the podsters in their past lives to match the names we learned during Meet the Dupes. I've also changed past life events to match up better with what we know.
The palace was elaborately decorated for the wedding. Zan wanted to have simple, quiet ceremony, but his mother insisted that his people needed more. They needed to see Zan wed and see him accept Avadia as his queen. The ceremony was needed as reassurance that the Renly family was still in control and that Zan was now the head of that family. Zan walked down the corridor toward the throne room where the ceremony was to be held. People were hurrying past him, pausing for just a minute to bow to their king. Zan nodded gratuitously to his people. He didn’t recognize any of them, but they all knew him. He was their leader, the one who was going to save them.

“Zan.”

Zan turned to see Rath, his second in command, heading toward him. As Rath reached Zan he reached out and whacked Zan on the shoulder, smiling broadly. “So, are you nervous?” Rath asked teasingly.

Zan smiled despite himself. Rath was not only his second in command but also his best friend and his sister’s betrothed. He had grown up with Rath. They had roamed the palace grounds together as kids, constantly causing mischief and getting away with it because Zan’s father was king.

“No, I’m just anxious for this all to be over.”

“Your just anxious for the wedding night,” Rath said with a smile.

Zan tried to return Rath’s smile, but couldn't because Rath had spoken the truth. Zan was anxious about the wedding night, but not for the reason's Rath thought. Zan was anxious because tonight he had to tell Avadia about Arya. He had withheld the truth long enough. He had to be honest with her before they consummated the marriage. It’s the least he could do. “We need to focus on the war, and this celebration distracts from it.”

“Ah, Zan, you are far too serious. Today is a day of celebration. The war will still be there tomorrow, no worries,” Rath said as he and Zan started walking toward the throne room.

“So you’ve heard from the front lines?”

“All’s quiet. Maybe they’ve decided to give us the day off.”

“It’s more likely they’re planning something major. Any word from Visery?”

Rath shook his head. “I take from the lack of communication that he has been captured. Look Zan,” Rath stopped walking and grabbed Zan’s arm to stop him, “the war will still be there tomorrow. Try to enjoy your day and your bride.”

Zan nodded. He then turned and continued walking. He knew Rath was only trying to help, but nothing could help now. He had a duty to perform today. It was a duty to him, nothing more. What concerned Zan more was finding a way to save his people. Zan had to find a way to win this war.

“So, Rath, when is your big day going to be?” Zan asked trying to change the subject.

“You know your sister, she keeps changing her mind. I’m in no hurry though. I just want her to be happy and she felt it was important that you should be married and settled before we set the date.”

“Yes, Vilandra can be difficult,” Zan replied smiling. He was happy that Rath and Vilandra were together. Rath would do anything to make his sister happy. “Rath,” Zan stopped smiling and turned to his friend, “if anything should happen to me, you will take care of my sister, Avadia, and my mother, won’t you?”

“You don’t need to ask that question my friend. Nothing will happen to you. We will find a way to win this war,” Rath replied confidently. He then smiled and said, “I have to go find your sister and you need to do your pre-ceremonial entreaty. So I will leave you now and the next time I see you, you will be a married man.” Rath grabbed Zan’s hand and shook it vigorously and then continued down the corridor.

Zan watched Rath for a minute and then turned to the door on his left and opened it. Inside was a small and empty chapel. He walked to the front of the chapel and kneeled at the altar and began his entreaty.

He was lost in his words when he felt a hand upon his shoulder. He stopped and turned and saw his mother smiling down at him. “It is time my son. Your bride awaits.”

Zan stood up and followed his mother into the throne room. She led him to the front of the throne room where his and his future queen’s thrones were. Standing in front of the thrones was the high priestess. His mother led him to his place in front of the high priestess, kissed him on the cheek, and then took her place with his sister and Rath. Zan looked out over the throne room. It was full of people who had come from all over the world to see their king marry. It was supposed to be a happy day and Zan was trying to appear happy, but he was afraid he was not succeeding. He turned to the high priestess and nodded, indicating it was okay to proceed.

The high priestess raised her hand and music filled the throne room. It was his family’s song, a symbol of their strength and power. The music filled the room and all were silenced by it. The priestess put her hand on Zan’s shoulder and he kneeled. He heard Avadia walking up the stairs behind him, but he was not yet allowed to look at her. Zan closed his eyes, and an image Arya appeared came to him, so he quickly opened his eyes again and instead focused on the designs on the floor of the throne room.

The music stopped and Zan looked up to the high priestess, careful not to look in the direction of Avadia who was kneeling beside him. The priestess reached out with both of her hands and Zan and Avadia each placed a hand in hers. The priestess then kissed each of their hands and said a blessing over them, placing their hands together. After the blessing was done, the priestess instructed them to rise.

The priestess looked out over the throne room and began to speak. “In the words of Ishara, the great spiritual leader of our people, may your lives together bring you and your people great happiness, may you have many children to carry on your great house, and may the family of Renly continue to rule the fair Andorra.” The priestess the looked at Zan and said, “Look at your bride, my king.”

Zan turned to look at Avadia. She looked incredibly beautiful and elegant in her taupe gown. Zan smiled and pulled her hand to his mouth and placed a kiss on her palm. He then turned to the priestess and nodded. She bowed to her king and then retreated behind the thrones. Zan led Avadia to the queen’s throne. It was designed especially for Avadia. The one his mother used to sit in was now in the catacombs of the palace. Avadia took her place in her throne smiling happily at Zan. Zan then took his place and the raised his hand, indicating that the celebration should begin.

Instantly the music began and the people parted making room for dance troupe to perform. Zan turned to Avadia and reached out for her hand, taking it into his own. He had fulfilled his duty to his family. He had married Avadia. Zan looked out over the throne room and watched the celebration. His mother and sister were whispering to one another, looking out over the crowd. Rath was looking up at Zan and smiling at him.

Everyone was having a great time. The celebration would probably go on all night, but since he was king and the groom, he could leave anytime he wanted. Zan patiently watched the dance troupe and also the circus act which followed. He then turned to Avadia and asked, “Would like to leave? I know it has been a long day for you and if you’re tired we can leave.”

“We can leave if you want, my husband. I wish to do only what will make you happy,” Avadia said quietly with a small smile.

Zan returned her smile feeling incredibly guilty. He knew he would hurt Avadia when he told her about Arya, but he felt it would hurt her more to hear it from another source and now that she was living in the palace, she was sure to hear about it from somewhere. Zan stood up and helped Avadia out of her throne. He led Avadia to where his mother and sister were standing.

“We are going to my suite now Mother. Avadia is very tired.”

“Of course, my son and daughter. Avadia has had a very long day and you have too my son.” Zan’s mother reached for Avadia’s hand and took it into her own. She squeezed it and said, “I know you will make the Renly family very proud Avadia.” She then reached up and kissed Zan on the cheek and whispered, “Thank you.”

Zan smiled and nodded at his mother and then turned to Vilandra. “Now it’s your turn sister. Don’t make my friend wait too long,” Zan said looking in the direction of Rath. Vilandra smiled slightly and kissed Zan on the cheek.

Zan then turned and led Avadia out of the throne room. The celebration was so loud that no one noticed they had left. It was better that way. Zan hated the ceremony involved in being king. He had seen it all his life and knew every nuance of it, but he didn’t like it. He wished he could abolish it, but his mother says that the ceremony is the tradition of his people and must be continued.

Zan and Avadia walked down the corridors together. They were now empty, just an hour ago they were full of people getting ready for the celebration. Zan felt the silence way him down. He wanted to say something, but he didn’t know what to say. He looked at Avadia, but she was looking straight ahead. She must be nervous, Zan thought. Avadia was many years younger than Zan and very inexperienced in the ways of love. Zan knew he had to be careful not to hurt her.

When Zan and Avadia arrived at his suite, Zan opened the door and Avadia went inside careful not to look Zan in the eye. Zan followed her and closed the door behind him. When he turned, he saw that Avadia had walked over to the window and was looking out. The sun had set and the stars had filled the sky.

“It’s a beautiful night,” Zan said. He crossed the room and stood behind Avadia.

“Yes it is,” Avadia said quietly and looked down, obviously affected by Zan being so close to her. “What would you like to now, my husband.”

“How about we talk, Avadia,” Zan said turning Avadia to face him. He then placed his hand on her chin and lifted her face so she would be forced to look him in the eye. “And you can call me Zan.”

Avadia smiled and nodded. “So what shall we talk about Zan?”

Zan took Avadia’s hand in his own and led her over to a settee. “I have a story to tell you, my bride. It will not be an easy one to hear, but you must hear it from me and no other, so I must tell you now.”

Zan kneeled down next to Avadia and looked up to her. She had a slightly worried expression on her face, but she continued to smile.

Suddenly there was a knock at the door of the suite. Avadia jumped and let out a little yelp. Zan smiled at Avadia to try to reassure her, stood up, and walked over to the door. He opened the door and saw his sister and Rath, both looking extremely nervous.

“What is it?” Zan asked, worried what could have happened that made them interrupt his wedding night.

“You have to come with us, Zan,” Rath said quietly.

“It’s my wedding night. I need to stay with my bride.”

Vilandra looked past Zan to make sure that Avadia was not in hearing range and then quietly said, “Zan, it’s Arya, she’s alive and she’s here.”

Zan felt his heart stop beating. He couldn’t breathe. It couldn’t be true. Arya died 7 years ago, didn’t she? “She’s here?” Zan asked forcing himself to speak.

Vilandra nodded. “She arrived on the palace grounds a half hour ago. Luckily, one of the guards at the gate recognized her and they took her to the servant’s quarters. Zan, she’s injured and it’s pretty bad.”

Zan’s hand had started shaking. Arya was alive and here. “I need to go to her,” Zan said not really hearing what Vilandra said and started heading out the door.

Rath reached out and stopped him. “Don’t you think you should say something to Avadia first?”

Zan turned and looked at Avadia who was waiting patiently on the settee looking in his direction. He had completely forgotten about her, his wife. “Yes, I will make excuses. Please wait for me out here.”

Zan closed the door and tried to settle his hand. He had to deal with Avadia first, but in a few minutes, he would see his beloved Arya. Zan walked over to the settee where Avadia was waiting. He kneeled down beside her and said, “I have some business to attend to Avadia. I’m sorry, I will be back as soon as I can.”

Avadia nodded and smiled sweetly, “I understand. You are king and your duties as king come before me. I will be here when you are done, my husband.”

Zan smiled then leaned in and kissed Avadia on the cheek and then got up and hurried out the door. All his thoughts were on Arya.

Part 0 | Index | Part 2
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.