FanFic - Max/Liz
"Starting Over"
Part 3
by Anne
Disclaimer: They're not mine. The characters of Roswell belong to Melinda Metz, the WB, Jason Katims, and all the wonderful people who we all love for starting this wonderful story. I'm just borrowing them!
Summary: A future fic. 10 years after high school, Liz is about to get married, when Max suddenly re-enters her life.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
An hour after David left, Liz peered back into her bedroom. Max was lying on the bed with his eyes shut. Even from this distance away she could hear that his breathing was getting raspy. The broken ribs were beginning to affect his lungs. It didn't look as though he had healed at all. Liz supposed that made sense. His body's natural reaction to this kind of a beating would be to automatically heal himself. But Max couldn't heal himself, so he just wasn't getting any better. In fact, it looked as though he was getting worse. Liz hoped that he would last long enough for the serum to wear off.

She chastised herself for that last thought. This was Max. Max was the strongest person she knew, both physically and emotionally. If anyone could pull through, it was him. Liz didn't know what she would do if he didn't make it. Now that she had him, she didn't think she could deal with loosing him again. Just his presence, regardless of how weak it was, made her feel better, safer.

Liz couldn't keep the concern out of her eyes, as she moved across the room, and sat beside him on his bed, taking his good hand into hers, and clasping it tightly. His eyes flipped open, and he gave her a little half smile.

If Liz had any doubts about why Max came back to Roswell for her, they left immediately with one look at that smile of his. It was for her, and her alone. She knew that from the first time she saw it. No one else in her entire life had ever given her a look like that one, a look which held more love and adoration than most people found in their entire lives. But Liz had managed to find it, in this visitor from another planet, who seemed to have been put on earth just for her.

"Hi." Max greeted her.

Liz smiled back at him. Once again, she was amazed that he was back with her. What had she done to deserve a gift as great as Max Evans?

"Hey Max. I take it your powers still aren't working."

Max laughed weakly. Even his laugh sounded painful. She could tell that he was trying so hard to be strong for her. "No, they aren't."

"Um, I talked to David about the serum. He said that it should wear off by this time tomorrow night. Of course, we don't know for sure about that. Your body could react differently to it, and reject it sooner…"

Liz's voice drifted off, and he understood what she wasn't saying. It could take longer too.

"Well, let's hope for sooner then." Liz nodded in response.

They sat there in an uncomfortable silence for a few seconds, both of them needing to talk, but not knowing where to start. Seconds began to stretch into minutes. Max knew if one of them didn't speak up soon, then they would never get out what needed to be said.

"Liz?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm sorry." Oh God. He was apologizing for coming back! Liz didn't want him to regret coming back!

"Max, this isn't your fault. It's more my fault then yours. I was the one who asked you to come back to Roswell. I knew how dangerous it would be for you, and I still asked. I got you into this. It was the least I can do to get you out of it."

"I wasn't talking about this. I was talking about everything. I've done nothing but cause you pain in the tenure of our…friendship. First I played games with your heart. Kissing you, and taking you out, but then pulling back at the first sign of trouble. Then I dumped you for another girl. To this day I don't know what possessed me to do that. And then I ran out on you, left your life without a word said between us for ten years, before showing up on your wedding day, and messing with you some more. You never deserved any of this, Liz. I've caused you outrageous amounts of pain."

"Yes, you did. But I loved you all the same." Max stared at her with his mouth hanging open. She loved him? She had never told him that before. Max felt like singing! If Liz Parker loved him, he could do anything. But how could she love him after all that had happened?

"Why? How could you love someone who's caused you so much harm."

Liz grimaced. How could she explain it to him? Liz loving Max was as natural to her as birds flying or fish swimming. You can't explain something that just comes naturally to you.

"Because you're Max Evans. Because I knew the moment that you first touched me that I would love you forever, and that nothing could ever change that feeling. Because someone once told me that no matter what we'd go through, it would all be worthwhile because we'd be together, and I knew the truth in that statement in my heart from day one. Because we've managed to make it through every door that's blocked our way. I love you, Max Evans. And nothing will ever change that."

Liz sighed. It didn't sound right. There was no good way to put her love into words. But she supposed that explanation would have to do.

Max's heart pounded at her words. He didn't know her feelings were that strong, still, after all these years. Ironic, that she quoted him in her explanation. He smiled. He meant those words then, and he still did now. It had been tough, everything they had been through since then, but it was okay, because they were together now.

"I love you too, Liz. I've always loved you. I never stopped loving you."

Their eyes burned into one another as they watched each other with a fiery passion that neither knew they had in them. Liz leaned over and kissed Max lightly on the forehead, and he squeezed her hand in recognition. They knew in that moment without a doubt that their love was going to last, that they would make it through this obstacle, and whatever other ones came up in the future.

"We should be able to leave tomorrow, Max. Get as much rest as possible tonight." Max nodded, silently accepting that she was coming with him. They'd never be apart again.

It took every effort in Liz, to unlock their hands and pull away from Max. She didn't want to leave him. She wanted to stay there by his side all night, but she knew that it would help them both in the long run if she slept on the couch in the front room. They both needed a full night's rest if they were going to be traveling through the next night.

Max Evans awoke early the next morning, just as the sun was beginning to peak up out of the sands of the nearby desert. He had slept soundly the night before, a huge relief having been lift from his shoulders after his talk with Liz.

His talk with Liz… Max smiled. She loved him! And he loved her with all his heart. He sighed. He hoped that they'd be able to settle down together somewhere. He had been on the run constantly for ten years, never staying in any one spot for more that a year. That was no life to offer her. He needed to find a nice, secluded town, where no one suspected that their neighbor might be an alien, and the police wouldn't know his entire history. Somewhere where they'd be able to start over, find new identities, and live out their lives together. Max hoped that this wasn't all a dream, that he would eventually wake from. If he and Liz forgot to be careful, then no where would ever be safe for the two of them.

Suddenly Max realized something was different. The pain was gone. He stretched, checked his bones, and chuckled to himself. The serum must have worn off while he was asleep. He had subconsciously healed himself sometime during the night. He grinned. There was no sign that he had ever been hurt. Nothing except his memories remained.

Max sat up, and looked towards the door. Liz was in there, just a few short steps away. Max got up, and opened the door. For the second time that morning, he smiled.

Liz was curled up on the couch in her living room. Her hair was completely mussed up, and at some point during the night her blanket had fallen to the floor, forgotten there.

The smile slid from his face when he saw her shiver. Max quietly sneaked over to the couch, and wrapped the blanket back around her, tucking it in slightly. Even asleep, with her messy hair, and her faces all crunched up, she was still beautiful. He sat on the table opposite the couch, and watched her sleep. She looked so peaceful, almost without a care in the world. Max sighed. It may be a while before Liz felt that peaceful again.

He couldn't resist. Max had to touch her. He gently reached over, and stroked her soft, soft hair. God she was beautiful. And she was all his.

Liz felt his presence beside her from in her dreams, and as peacefully as she slept, she then awoke. She kept her eyes closed, just feeling his familiar presence all around her. When he touched her, she couldn't resist anymore, and she smiled, and peeked her eyes open just a crack.

"Hi." She whispered.

"Hey." He softly responded.

"Whatcha doing?" Liz asked playfully.

"Watching you sleep. You're really beautiful when you sleep, Liz. You know, they say that's when you really know how much you love someone, when you watch them sleep."

"And is that how you felt just then."

"I already knew how much I loved you. That just reaffirmed it for me."

Liz smiled back at him. "Tomorrow night it'll be my turn."

"And every night after." Liz felt a rush of joy at his comment. He wasn't going to run from her again. A small part of her had been so afraid that he was going to wake up, and disappear from her life again. Liz then realized where they were. He was out of bed!

"You're all better!"

"Yup. The serum wore off sometime last night."

"No side effects or anything."

"I feel stronger than I've felt in years. Your presence does that to me."

Liz blushed. Somehow he always seemed to know the right things to say to her. She supposed that came with being soul mates.

Max looked at his watch. "It's still early, Liz. We should try to get out of here before the whole town wakes up. It'll be easier to get out without attracting attention."

Liz nodded. "I'll go pack."

At about 7:00 that morning, Maria DeLuca awoke to a loud rapping on her front door.

"God, who could it be at this time. Everyone knows they shouldn't try to talk to me before at least 10 am! What do you want?" Maria shouted as she approached the door, wearing only her flannel pajamas.

"Maria, it's me! Open up!" Liz announced.

"Liz? What the hell is going on? The police were here last night, asking me if I'd seen you," Maria opened the door and gaped. Max stood there with Liz. "Max! What are you two up to?"

"We have to get out of town, Maria, and quickly. We need your car."

"What? Why? My car? You guys both have cars."

"Yeah, but they'll be looking for our cars as we're leaving town. Yours won't be as obvious. Just give us the Jetta, Maria. You can have my car. Keep it forever, it's a better car than that old worn out Jetta anyway. I don't care, really. We won't be back for it."

"You won't be back? Where are you going?"

"Away. Out of Roswell. We'll contact you when it's safe."

"What's going on here, Liz?"

"They caught Max, and brought him to the lab. I broke him out of there, but if they ask you, he kidnapped me, okay? Anyway, they're going to be looking for us both. If they find me, they'll find out what I did. If you have any questions, David will be able to answer them for you, but it's getting late, and we need to get out of here."

Maria tossed Liz her keys. "Okay, here you go. Good luck."

"Thanks. I'll be in touch. I love you, Maria."

"I love you too, babe. And I'm going to miss you. Take care of her, Max. Don't let anything happen to her."

"I won't. I promise." Maria grabbed her best friend, and hugged her fiercely. "Bye Liz."

"Bye Maria. I'll be thinking of you."

And with that Max Evans and Liz Parker ran away together, leaving their hometown of Roswell, New Mexico forever.

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Max - Liz
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.