FanFic - Max/Liz
"Solace"
Part 2
by Meredith
Disclaimer: Roswell, the characters, and situations are owned by the WB. No infringement intended.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Future fic. if you're basing it on "Destiny", it would be fifteen years later. Jordana, the baby born in "LOL", is now ten.
"MOM! DAD!" The scream pierced through the walls of the quiet house.

"Jordana!" Liz cried, taking off like a rocket out of the boys' room into her daughter's. Max had already bolted out of his sleep when he heard the small girl's scream for help echoed down the hallway into his own bedroom. Adam-Michael quickly followed his parents into her room and were disturbed to find Jordana clutching a small pillow to her chest and cowering in the corner of her room. Liz and Max ran to her, flinging their arms around their first born.

"Honey, it's all right." Max said, holding his daughter protectively.

"We're here now, it's okay, everything's going to be okay..." Liz said soothingly, patting Jordana's long chocolate-brown hair that cascaded down her back just like Liz's own.

"Mom, Dad, it was so scary... I thought there was..." Jordana said, wiping her tears with the back of her hand and raising her hand towards an open window.

"You thought what, honey?" Max asked her.

Jordana began saying something, but Adam-Michael walked in, holding a baby in each arm.

"You thought there was...someone there, didn't you?" Adam asked as he looked straight into his sister's tear-filled eyes. Jordana looked at him and quietly gasped. Without a word, she nodded slowly in agreement.

"Someone there? What are you getting at...?" Max asked his eldest son, confused. He walked over and took a fussy Dylan out of Adam-Michael's arms and held him close to his chest.

Liz saw where this conversation was going and quickly stepped in. "It's nothing! Right, Adam-Michael?" She began, stealing a look of concern at the teenager. "It's just really windy out there tonight. She probably just saw a tree moving... that's all, just a tree, a tree..." Liz repeated to herself as she helped her daughter climb back into bed. She seemed to be trying to put her own worries at ease more than her child's. Adam-Michael realized that now was not the time to tell his father what he had experienced that night.

Max witnessed the wordless exchange between his son and his wife and he knew something was not right. The warm newborn in his hands brought him back to reality as he wailed in his arms."Well, if everything's okay here, we really should get the boys back to bed... come on, Adam, you can help me..."

Adam-Michael, still holding his baby brother Matthew, looked up at his father, who was now only a couple of inches taller than him. "Okay, Dad." He walked over to Jordana and gave her a kiss on the forehead. "Goodnight, short-stuff."

"Don't call me that! Goodnight." Jordana said, smiling up at the big brother who she adored. Liz wrapped her arms around her son and gave the baby another kiss on the forehead.

"Goodnight, Adam." She said, giving him a look that said "Don't breathe a word of this to your father." Adam nodded in agreement as Liz rubbed the back of Matthew's head. "Goodnight my sweet baby boy, Matty. I love you." She kissed her daughter's head and sat on the bed next to her as Max and Adam left the room with the two babies. "Honey, are you going to be okay? Do you want me to stay in here until you fall asleep?"

Jordana yawned. "No, Mommy, it's okay. I'll be okay. You have to get up early."

"I'll make your lunch before I go. Is peanut butter and jelly okay?"

"Yeah that's fine, Mom. Goodnight."

"I love you, Jordibelle." Liz said, hugging her daughter.

"I love you too, Mom." Liz walked out of the room and shut the door as Jordana snuggled into her covers once again. As her mother left her once again, she felt an overwhelming sense of dread. She sat up in bed with a jolt as she heard another gust of wind outside the window. She turned on the lamp next to her bed and looked cautiously over to the window. At first, she only saw her own reflection. But as her eyes adjusted to the light, she saw a ghostly silhouette staring at her from a nearby tree outside. She could feel the vision's eyes pouring into her own. The sight made her shudder. She was so frightened that she ran over to the window and pulled the shade down tight. Still not feeling much safer, she turned off the light and buried herself under a mountain of sheets, pillows, and blankets that hid her from whatever she was so frightened of...if only she knew what it was.

* * * * *

"Good morning, Gina, Good morning, Joan..." Max said, walking into the office he shared with his wife as well as their associate, Dr. Richard Larkin. "...when's my first appointment?" He walked behind the desk to bring breakfast to his two secretaries like he and Liz did every morning.

"Good morning, Dr. Evans... Your first appointment is in the waiting room as we speak." Joan replied.

"How long has she been waiting?" Max asked with concern on his face.

"Oh, not long, she was just eager to get her first ultrasound..." Gina said, pulling up a file on the computer for Max to see. "Um, her name is...Theresa Bingham. She's about twenty weeks."

"Ok, just pull up her chart and take her to room three for the check up. I'll be in there in about ten minutes." Max said, walking into his back office.

"Sure thing, Dr. Evans." Gina piped in.

Max yawned and reached over the top of his desk, looking for a pen. When he finally found one in the top drawer, he opened up the closet door in his office and pulled out the lab coat and stethoscope stored inside. He pulled those on over his clothes and made his way into exam room three. "Good morning, Ms. Bingham." Max said with a cheerful smile to the pregnant woman lying on the exam table in front of him. "I don't believe we've met before. I'm Dr. Max Evans."

Theresa smiled, shaking his hand and looking deep into his brown eyes. "Hello, Dr. Evans. It's nice to finally meet you. I've heard wonderful things about you."

"Oh, stop it, you're going to give me a big head." Max said, laughing as he put the stethoscope to Theresa's chest, feeling for her heartbeat. "So how are you feeling today, Ms. Bingham?"

"Please, call me Theresa. And I'm feeling great. The second trimester has been a breeze so far, compared to the hell I went through the first three months..."

Max smiled. "That's normal...it's typical for mothers to enjoy the second trimester much more... not as much nausea and cramping, that sort of thing."

Theresa smiled as Max pulled her shirt up halfway to reveal her pertruding belly. "Well that's a relief."

Max smiled, using his foot to wheel the ultrasound cart over to the table and flipping on the equipment. The monitor hummed as it warmed up. Max grabbed the camera-like piece of equipment and placed it on top of his patient's belly. "So, do you want to know what the sex is?"

Theresa smiled. "No, I want to be surprised. I just want to make sure the baby's okay...you know, ten fingers, ten toes, that sort of thing..."

"Yeah, that's important..." Max said, smiling, as he watched the baby on the monitor.

"Yeah, I don't want an alien baby!" Theresa said, laughing oddly. Max's eyes narrowed into an somewhat suspicious glance. He couldn't help it- any mention of aliens around him, no matter how innocent, made him uneasy. Theresa gasped as a fuzzy black and white image came up on the monitor. "Is that my baby?"

Max pointed to several spots on the monitor as he pointed out body parts on the fetus. "Everything appears to be normal... you sure you don't want to know the sex?" He asked her again as he noticed the key defining characteristic of the child on the monitor.

Theresa hesitated, then a smile spread slowly across her face. "Sure, why not!"

"Ok, you're having a boy." Max said, smiling, pointing to a little speck on the monitor.

Theresa giggled. "Is that...?"

"Yes, yes it is." Max said, smiling.

Theresa's eyes filled with tears. "Oh, I'm so happy..." She smiled.

"You want me to print out his first picture for you?" Max asked, motioning to the printing device attached to the ultrasound.

"That would be great!" Theresa said, smiling. Max printed out two pictures for to take home. "There's one for you, and one for your husband..."

"Oh, I don't have a husband." Theresa said quickly.

"Oh, excuse me, I didn't mean to..." Max began, embarrassed, but was interrupted by his patient.

"No, it's okay!" Theresa said, smiling. "I don't mind. You didn't know." There was an uncomfortable pause in the room as Max handed her the pictures. Their hands touched for a moment and Max snapped his back as he felt an electrical charge go through their touch. He looked into her eyes for a moment and felt a chill go down his spine.

"Have we met..." He stuttered out. "...before? Your eyes..."

Theresa smiled. "I don't think so, Dr. Evans."

Max couldn't control the words coming out of his mouth. "You just...your eyes are so...familiar...are you sure we haven't...?"

Theresa nodded. "Not that I know of, Dr. Evans. Maybe we knew each other in a past life or something..." She said, laughing at the ridiculous notion. Max looked into her eyes one last time before diverting his gaze to a nearby chart. This odd feeling was just too much for him to handle.

"Well, Theresa..." He managed to stutter out. "I think we're all finished here today. If you see Gina and Joan out front they'll schedule your next appointment in four weeks." Max said. "Congraulations again." He hurried out of the room, leaving Theresa in a daze.

She laid her head back on the exam table with a smile. She fished in her purse, looking for her wallet. Tucked inside, between credit card receipts and a little bit of cash was a picture of a young boy. The corners were worn and the picture was becoming faded with time. She rubbed her fingers over the picture of the boy, his dark hair, his dark eyes, his wide smile...

"Got ya." She said to herself with a smirk.

Index | Part 3
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.