FanFic - Max/Liz
"Lost and Found"
"Lost"
Part 3
by Emma Whitfield
Disclaimer: I do not intend to infringe on any of the people truly involved in the production of Roswell, the TV series and the books. I am neither affiliated with the WB or Melinda Metz, but I am a crazed fan who needs to write pretend stories to keep from going mad during the week. For this story, the only things I own are the characters Audra Cristiensen, James Conway, Anna Lisa Evans, and Ben Thomas.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Some of the things I have in here all have a purpose. In other words, if there is something you think I should have explained, there is a very valid reason why I have chosen not to include it, or done the opposite of what you may think should happen. Anyway, you’ll understand more as this story comes along. For once, I actually know how this story will play out, and will end. So, the time it takes for me to get this done will be relatively short -- I just need the time to actually type it up. Also, I understand the season finale has aired, so my advice to you is to forget the past two months of episodes. I know it will be hard. But otherwise, many of the points discussed in this fic will not make sense. I just have a second comment. Have you noticed that my rambling at the top always manages to be a fic in itself? If you have read up until this far, you deserve my commendation. In fact, I bestow upon on you an Emma star. Alright, alright. I can take a hint. I’m done. :)
Max went through another monotonous day. Whenever he wasn’t around Anna Lisa, he asked himself why he continued living like this. It would be so much easier to kill himself, and just be with Liz. Be with her where there were no restrictions, or limitations to their lives.

They had spent a good deal of time after high school running from the FBI. They had barely managed to ward them off. Every day was like being on the run. But somehow, everything worked out, and they were left alone.

Liz ended up going to Harvard, and Max went to Stanford. It was incredibly difficult on both of them. But, they were the one couple who proved that long distance relationships were feasible and more than possible. Liz had gone to California for the summer before their final semester. She had taken an internship at a hospital near Stanford, where Max was working too. Being near each other so much was something they hadn’t experienced in awhile.

They were married as soon as it was possible, which ended up being after their separate graduations. Almost no one had been there. None of their friends had come. None of their parents had even known. But, they hadn’t minded. It was simple, elegant and understated. Neither of them were for a big, lavish wedding anyway.

They ended up moving to a small apartment in San Francisco. Both had been accepted to the graduate programs they wanted at Stanford -- Max in the medical program, and Liz in molecular biology. Though they weren’t specializing on the same things, they were more than happy to just be in the same building together.

Max remembered the day Liz had told him she was pregnant. She had been so scared. He had as well. But they knew they would get through it. Just as long as they were together.

*Max? I need to tell you something.*

*What?*

*Um…*

*What is it Liz?*

*I don’t know how to say this…*

*How to say what?*

*I… I think… I think I’m pregnant.*

Silence.

*Max?*

*Are you sure?*

*Yes.*

*Wow… I didn’t think it was possible.*

*Are you mad?*

*Mad? Why would I be mad?*

*Because… this isn’t going to be normal.*

*I know. But, don’t’ worry, Liz. We’ll get through it, okay? Whatever happens, I’m here for you.*

*I’m glad.*

*How are you feeling?*

*I feel fine. I guess. I just can’t believe it. Do you… do you want this?*

*I didn’t think we could… you know. But, yes, I think I do. As long as it’s with you, it’ll be incredible.*

*Thank you.*

*For what?*

*For being so amazing. I love you.*

*I love you too, Liz.*

Liz had been worried that Max would be upset with the news. But when she learned that he was just as excited about the baby as she was, she had lit up. The last year Max had been with Liz was the best. She began to glow as only an expectant mother would. One look at her smiling, gleaming face brought an immediate smile to his lips. She had been looking forward to being a mother the entire year.

And in an instant, it was all taken away.

Max swore vengeance on whoever had ruined all of their lives. But he couldn’t find them. Whoever had done it knew exactly what and how they were doing it. They had covered up their tracks extremely well.

And sadly, Max’s ‘friends’ from high school were no help. He had tried to contact Maria and Alex, but to no avail. And Michael and Isabel had never been particularly close to Liz. In fact, with the exception of Michael, the other three didn’t even know about what had happened. He didn’t know how close Michael was to everyone else, but if Max himself didn’t talk to them, he found it absurd to believe that Michael would.

It was so odd, and surreal. It was as if they all had just disappeared.

*****

An excruciating pain tore through Audra’s abdomen. She had never felt such pain before in her life. Everything was black around her. She heard deep, dark, mysterious voice. She felt as if it was talking about her. She had a terrible feeling being here. All of a sudden, she saw a large, thick needle placed before her eyes. She opened her mouth to scream, but she couldn’t here anything.

Audra sat up, drenched in sweat. She blinked her eyes, as they tried to adjust to the black of the room. The clock read 2:49 am. James moved beside her.

“Audra? Are you okay, honey?” he asked in a tired voice.

“I just had a bad dream.” Audra was still breathing heavily, thinking about it.

“Are you okay?”

“I don’t think so. I need to get up.”

“You want me to make you some coffee, or tea, or something?”

“No. Go back to sleep. Sorry. Go back to sleep.”

“It’s okay, Audra -- ”

“NO!” Audra was surprised at the level of her voice. She calmed down. “You need to sleep, James. I know you haven’t been sleeping well. Go back. I’ll get something to drink, and I’ll be right back.”

“Okay…” James said uncertainly.

“It’s okay. Don’t worry. Thanks, though.” Audra kissed his forehead, and left the room.

Audra stood outside the door for a few minutes. Soon, she could hear James’ deep breathing.

She didn’t know what had come over her. For the past few nights, she had been having nightmare after nightmare. But for the first time since she’d known him, she didn’t want to tell James about it. Something inside of her was telling her that he wouldn’t understand.

Audra turned on the kitchen light and sat down at the table. She had known James for a few years now. They had met in grad school, both doing their graduate work; Audra in astrophysics and James in computer science. The attraction had been instantaneous. James was incredibly good looking -- tall, lean, tan and blonde. He had moved from sunny California to Boston, and always joked how he still couldn’t get over the difference between Malibu and Boston.

James was a great guy. He was friendly, intelligent, funny and just a great person to be around. She would have loved for her family to have met him.

But they never could.

Audra remembered the terrible day James had to break the news to her. She hadn’t been at home to receive the phone call. But James had. She could tell from the look in his eyes when she got home that something was wrong. Her entire family, her mother, father, and two younger brothers, all had perished in a freak fire at their house. She had just moved in with James -- they never even met him.

Audra felt a tear slip down her cheek. Other than James, she had no one. Both of her parents had been only children, and all of her grandparents had died soon after she herself was born. She was all alone, except for James.

Which was why she was glad to have him. He had been very supportive, all those years. He could have been having meaningless relationships with other women. But he chose to stay with her. And she was grateful for that.

But something was happening to Audra that she didn’t understand. The flashes of sound and image that she had been experiencing seemed to open long-closed feelings. It was like there was something else out there. Some ONE else. Something she didn’t understand. Something --

“Audra, you really should come back to sleep.” Audra jumped at the sound of James’ voice. “Sorry,” he grinned. “I didn’t mean to scare you like that.”

“Oh,” Audra mumbled. “It’s okay. I can’t sleep.”

“Well, why don’t you just watch some TV, or something?”

“I really don’t think anything good is on at this time of day, James.”

James laughed, and said, “Yeah, I guess you’re right. Well, I’ll leave the hall light on, for whenever you want to come back, okay?”

Audra put on a small smile and nodded. James waved and went back into their bedroom. Audra finally decided to go back to sleep. After a drink of water, she made her way back to their room.

On her way back into the bedroom, a dull murmur made her stop moving. The door to their bedroom was closed. The sound was coming from within there. Audra put her ear up to the door. She couldn’t exactly hear anything, but James was talking. Talking to who? She tried to listen hard for any phrases she could. “…she doesn’t know…soon…can’t take it anymore…end…when?…what is the…”

Audra had no idea what was going on. Was James talking to someone in the room, or on the phone? She had no clue what to do. But she knew she was scared. James sounded sinister. And mad. His voice was raised, and it sounded like he was pacing furiously around the room. He had never acted that way before.

Suddenly, Audra didn’t want to be near him. Something was definitely wrong.

She had to get out of here.

Part 2 | Index | Part 4
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.