FanFic - Max/Liz
"Lessons"
Part 1
by Brynn
Disclaimer: You know the drill. I don’t own our dream couple or any other parts of our dream show but I like to pretend I do!
Summary: Max and Liz finally share that long anticipated moment one sweaty night of dancing.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: R
Authors Note: I haven’t written any new fics for a while…but I’ve been experiences some serious Roswell withdrawal lately. All the post-Destiny fics just remind me of the M/L break-up so I decided to reward my fellow Dreamgirls with some pure teen angst romance. Its my first time from Liz’s POV and once again, feedback is welcome and even encouraged.
“Hey Max, why don’t you come out with me tonight?”

“Thanks Is, but I much rather…”

“Wallow in your teenage angst locked in your room all night?”

“Yeah, something like that.”

“But I’m going to that new club that just opened. EVERYBODY will be there, like the whole high school.”

“You mean…is um…”

“Yes, Liz is coming.”

“Let me get my coat.”

The music reverberates throughout the steamy room, I hardly hear the lyrics blasted from the huge speakers. The room is lit by lights of various colors and patterns that flicker about in unpredictable places, reflecting off our faces and nearly blinding unsuspecting eyes. I look down at my black triangle top that ties in the back, lots of skin, Maria’s… and I can’t even begin to contemplate why I’m here. Oh yes, I remember…Max Evans. Maria assured me that Isabel was desperate to get him out. I hoped she was right. No, hope isn’t even the word… I prayed with all my heart.

Clubbing just doesn’t quite seem the same in Roswell. I’ve been before on vacations to visit my cousins but the best part is you don’t know anyone and you can forget yourself in the three hours you spend dancing—and sweating. But not in Roswell, you can name every person you turn to. You’re surrounded by familiar faces that you could very well bump into the next day at school And there’s only one person I’m interested in seeing…

Maria seems to be having the time of her life. Which is good, I don’t know what has been going on between her and Michael but its most likely dangerous and she’s going to end up hurt. She’s danced with numerous guys, I for one just stop dead in my tracks when anyone interested nears me. I can’t shake how wrong it seems. For some boy to just come up behind me and expect me to start shaking my ass as he gropes me and expects me to comply, all the while I don’t even know who he is; that’s absurd. Unless of course, its Max.

And its almost as if I can sense his presence. Max is barely in the front door before we lock eyes. He looks drop dead gorgeous in his black button-down shirt and dark denim jeans. I see him kind of gulp at the sight of the clothes I’m wearing, or the lack thereof. And then I just stop dancing. I just wait for Max. Like I’ve been waiting my entire life, I just didn’t know it until a couple months ago. After we’re done with our usual soul-searching looks Max looks awkwardly around. It’s a little humorous… this really isn’t Max’s scene. Then suddenly he pushes through the crowd, his final destination—me.

“Hi,” I manage out.

“Hey,” Max whispers. And we stand in silence as suddenly the rest of the room disappears and we’re the only two left. Or the only two that matter. Christina Aguilera’s Genie in a Bottle comes on.

“I hate this song,” we both say at the exact same time. I laugh, it was good to break the tension. Then I decide its time to make my move.

“But its fun to dance to.” And I grab Max’s hand. Electricity. Pure sparks whenever I so much as touch him.

“Oh, I’m not really a dancer,” Max stammers.

“Its okay,” I look directly into his eyes, “I’ll teach you.”

I stand in front of him and wrap my arms back around his waist, “Just follow my lead.”

Then I began to move my hips to the music. Max tries to match my circular motions. I stay persistent until he begins to get the hang of it. Then I take his hands and slide them down my thighs then back up to rest on my stomach. Where he healed me… He takes the hint and occasionally repeats my actions. I suddenly realize I’ve never been this close… or this sexual with Max Evans and it’s a thrilling feeling. Intoxicating really. “You’ve gotta rub me the right way…” the music blares. Max Evans certainly rubs me the right way.

And before I know it he begins to change our pattern of moves as he matches the beat of the music. “You’re doing great,” I encourage him.

“I have a good teacher,” he whispers in my ear. The closeness sends shivers down my spine. But yet I feel like we’re so far apart. I try to close the proximity between us as I rub closer to Max’s chest. I can smell his cologne and aftershave. It’s a heavenly scent. I lay my head back to rest against him. I swear I feel his lips on my neck and I jump. Then I get a flash. Its all our near-kisses. The night of the Crash Festival when he tenderly pushed my hair behind my ear; in the eraser room watching Miss Topolsky; in the jeep waiting for the road block to clear; before I went to see River Dog and he placed the pendant around my neck and his forehead against mine, begging me to come back—safe. At this point the only time I ever feel safe is in Max’s arms. All those times I thought he was going to kiss me… but Max always held his ground, always remained in control. Only now I can sense that Max wanted to kiss me all those times just as badly as I wanted him to. Only I now see he was scared. I suddenly realize that Max has never been with a girl before. Amazingly, he’s always had eyes only for me. I curse myself for being so ignorant to never notice. Judging by Max’s heavy breathing its obvious he saw the flashes too. I wonder if he knows my feelings like I do his, how much I longed for those kisses. Its time to take the next step.

I turn to face him. He looks confused by the change and slightly nervous by his recent actions. I put his arms around me and I discover that he’s trembling. “Max are you okay?”

He nods his head, “I’m… I’m nervous,” he admits.

I look his straight in the eyes and firmly state “Max, you never have to be to nervous, its me. You’re doing everything right,” and them I smile.

Then he lifts his hand and cups my cheek gingerly. I suck in my breath and prepare myself for another let-down, another moment for Max to exercise his annoyingly relentless hesitancy and carefulness. But to my surprise he leans in and softly places his lips on mine. I can hardly believe it, the moment I have waited for for so long. I wrap my arms around his neck and begin to deepen the kiss, opening my mouth slightly. Then I wrap my tongue around his.

For someone with no experience Max is certainly a great kisser. I feel a sudden sense of regret, wishing I had saved myself for him like he had for me. But I can honestly say that after Max Evans its like I’ve never really been kissed before. I mean, his touch is worth a thousand kisses from Kyle. Millions even. He begins to run his hand up and down my body as I begin to massage his shoulders and play with the hair at the nape of his neck. Minutes pass and we’re still going at it. I just can’t stop. Now that I finally have Max I can’t bear to let him go, not even for a second. I have to keep reminding myself to breathe. The most incredible sensations pulsate throughout my body, I’ve never felt this way before. A shame, because I’ve never felt this wonderful before.

I believe Max and I would have remained in that position until the club finally closed and they forced us to leave. I had lost all track of time but judging from the number of songs that had played, our tongues had been dancing for at least fifteen minutes. Perhaps it’s a good thing that Pam Troy bumped into us unexpectantly. “Get a room!” she snapped but regained some form of compassion when she raised her eyebrows and winked at me, her form of encouragement. But I still hate her.

“Yeah, let’s get out of here,” I say.

He opens his mouth to speak but can’t get the words out, so he just nods. He grabs my hand and leads me through the increasing crowd. By the time we’re out I don’t release my tight grip on his hand; neither does he. We find an exit and escape into the night.

Its raining and the cool water feels good as it trickles down my skin. It slowly washes the sweat away and I look at Max. His beautiful brown eyes are sparkling, probably reflecting the pure bliss and excitement so evident in mine. We race across the street and frantically search for the jeep. We spot it, fortunately with the top pulled up. But we don’t even make it inside before Max shoves me against it and places his mouth firmly down on mine. I smile into his kisses, pleased with his aggressiveness. Its about time. We’re now drenched in a combination of sweat and rain water. But all I can feel is Max… and the rapid beating of my heart. I reach behind me and open the car door. I turn Max around and shove him across the front two seats. I place a soft kiss on his lips then playfully say, “Let’s get you out of these wet clothes.”

“That’s a good idea,” Max agrees as I begin to unbutton his shirt. I’m relieved he’s okay with my forwardness in taking us to the next level and beyond. His shirt is now open and exposing his chest. I run my hands along his muscles and he again takes my mouth in his. He reaches around and begins to fumble with the tie holding my shirt up. Once again, he’s trembling and unable.

“Max, are you still nervous?”

He shakes his head no.

“Are you cold?”

He again shakes his head, “No… I’m-I’m…happy.”

I grin. Nothing will ever compare to this moment. “So am I,” I reassure him as I get lost in his brown orbs. He nods his head and notes my approval. Then he firmly unties my shirt and it falls right off. For a moment Max just stares at me. I don’t even feel self-conscious. I’ve never felt so open to anyone in my entire life. I know that I would do anything for Max. I kiss him passionately and we continue for some time before we’re interrupted once again.

“Oh my God!”

I freeze and realize that in our fervent passion and half-nakedness Max and I had failed to close the side door. He pulls me close to him to hide my bareness and I almost stop breathing at the intimacy of the situation.

Reluctantly I turn my head to find Isabel, her back towards us to avoid the view. “I’m ready to go home now,” she says icily.

I bury my head in Max’s shoulder, embarrassed beyond belief. He kisses my forehead for comfort and looks around. He finds the damp rag that is my shirt and ties it around me. Good old Max, always the gentleman. I began to button up his shirt and he clears his throat, signaling that we’re presentable, ie clothed. Isabel turns around and begins to climb into the car. She takes one look at Max’s hand slowly massaging my thigh and makes a disgusted face, “On second thought, I’ll go find Alex and get a ride home from him.” And she practically races away from the car.

“Well that was interesting…”

“It was actually a good thing,” Max says.

“Please explain…”

“She didn’t even look disapproving.”

“I think she was too overcome with disgust!”

“I don’t care, I think she finally realized I can’t stay away from you.”

“Oh,” I don’t know what else to say. But that explains a lot. Max was holding back for Isabel and Michael. I can almost forgive him for all our wasted time apart. But of course I was responsible for seven years of it. “Well I’m glad you finally gave into temptatation,” I say seductively before I begin to kiss him again. Just then Max’s digital watch beeps, signally the hour. Its midnight.

“I have to get home…” Max says, “I hate to say it, but I’ll never be able to see you if I don’t get in by curfew. My parents will kill me. Should I take you home?”

“Actually, I’m supposed to spend the night at Maria’s…”

We both look at each other and we’re thinking the exact same thing.

“I’ll go tell her,” I say. And jump out of the car. I race across the parking lot and bump into someone.

“Michael?!”

“Uh…yeah.”

“What are you doing here?”

“I..uh…I came to see Maria.”

“Oh, well she’s inside.”

“Thanks,” and he’s already heading toward the entrance.

“Michael wait!” I cry after him, “Could you tell her I have a ride and I’ll talk to her tomorrow?”

He stares at my disheveled hair, smeared lipstick, and top that is barely hanging on. “So you and Max finally got it on?” he smiles.

“Excuse me?” I ask, although I heard him loud and clear.

“Well, good for you. But, yeah… you got it, I’ll tell her.”

“Oh yeah, and Michael…” he turns around a bit impatient, “Don’t hurt her.”

“I won’t,” he promises. Then he turns around.

My senses are suddenly alive and I recognize my need for Max. I run back to the jeep and he’s waiting expectantly inside.

“We’re good to go,” I say and he takes off.

The ride home is torture. I want to touch him so bad. I playfully rub his leg but he gives me one of those stop-or-we’ll never get there looks. I sit on my hands and try to remain calm but my heart rate is uncontrollable. My blood is rushing. We finally make it to Max’s house and he pulls up front. The minute he stops I yank off my seat belt and climb across the emergency brake. I straddle Max in the front seat and began to kiss him, surprised by my actions but certainly not regretting them. I savor his taste, it had been too long. A whole fifteen minutes. But now that I’ve experienced him I can’t get enough. He’s addictive.

We come up for air. “I have to get inside,” he sighs, “Meet me upstairs?”

“Of course.”

“There’s a ladder out back, Michael comes over a lot. But be careful, don’t hurt yourself.”

“I won’t,” Max was still cautious and overprotective.

“After you,” he opens the door and I reluctantly climb off of him.

Minutes later I scramble into his window and I realize it’s the first time I’ve ever been in Max’s room. I feel so close to him. It smells like him. It looks like him. I can hear the faint echoes of him talking to his parents downstairs. I shudder and begin to peel off my soaked shirt. The door opens and Max walks in. He gasps at my nakedness. I remain calm like nothing’s out of the ordinary. “I need something dry,” I say.

“Oh,” he looks through his drawers and pulls out his West Roswell high t-shirt and hands it to me, “here.”

“Thanks,” I put it on and shake my dripping skirt off under it. Its huge and ends right at my knees. Then I hug myself, Max’s aroma envelops me and suddenly I feel so warm.

I look up and he’s glancing toward the bed then at a rolled up sleeping bag on the floor I suppose is often occupied by Michael. I climb into his bed as a sure sign I have every intent of sleeping next to him. I tuck myself under the covers as Max sits down next to me. I sit up and once again begin to unbutton his shirt. I help him out of it and he stands up, he begins to fumble with his zipper then stops, “Um, I kind of sleep in my boxers.”

“Do you see any complaints?” I say. And he continues to strip off his jeans. He turns off the light and jumps into bed next to me. He wraps his arms around me in a warm embrace and holds me close.

“Max, do you have any regrets?” I can’t help but ask.

“Never,” he leans down and kisses me.

“Goodnight Max,” I whisper.

“Goodnight Liz,” he replies, “and thank you.”

“For what?”

“Everything. You.”

I smile, “No, thank you.”

I may have taught Max how to dance and kiss but the lessons I learned from him were unforgettable and priceless, he taught me how to love.

THE END

Title: Learning to Love 1/? (sequel to Lessons) Author: Brynn Disclaimer: You know the drill. I don’t own our dream couple or any other parts of our dream show but I like to pretend I do! Time: pre-Heat Wave but I’m sorta acting like Alex already knows about the secret and he and Isabel are well…he and Isabel. I know I’m taking liberties but gotta put in a little something for the StarGazers! Rating: PG-13 I suppose Summary: Max and Liz finally give into temptation and everyone, including themselves, deal with the aftershocks. Author’s Note: Thanks for all the feedback to “Lessons” you all are too kind, keep it coming! Had to go back to Max’s POV, he’s just too much fun! This is just pure, Dreamgirl pleasing fluff and as close as I get to any real plotlines.

I can feel the sunlight pouring in through my window as it hits my eyelids. I pause for a moment just so my eyes can adjust to the light. Something feels different. I’m still daunted by the confusion that follows a deep sleep and I try to recall recent events… what’s changed? I find my answer in no time when I look down and find Liz Parker in my arms.

Slowly I recall last night’s happenings. There was the club that Isabel begged me to go to. Then there was Liz. Then we were dancing. Then we were kissing. Then we were in the jeep ripping each other’s clothes off. Then we were interrupted. Then we came to my house and fell asleep in each other’s arms. To say it was your typical night was the understatement of the year. But it was the best night of my life.

And yet it was so wrong. I had vowed to myself that Liz and I would just be friends. It couldn’t be that hard, I had been pining away for her since third grade to no avail. But suddenly my stares stopped going unnoticed, and before I knew it, they were returned. I told Liz it wasn’t safe; I wished it could be more but it couldn’t. She had replied “I don’t care.” Starting then she never made it easy. She would look at me longingly with her beautiful almond-shaped eyes and play with her long, soft hair. She would call me for help when needed and chase me down in the halls to talk. She would even go so far as to bring up conversations, “You know how we said we were just going to be friends…” How could I forget? It was the hardest thing I’ve ever done. I tried, god knows I tried. I have always been in control, always. Max Evans, always the cool, collected, stoic guy. Until the day Liz Parker started loving me. Then that Max Evans was locked up somewhere and the new one emerged. Control was no longer an option, not when Liz was involved.

And how could I face Isabel? And Michael? I promised them I wouldn’t get too close. Yet another vow to them I failed to keep. It was the same pattern over and over again. As soon as Liz enters the picture whatever pledge I make to myself, my friends, and my family vanishes. I assume that especially after last night’s events Isabel will finally come to understand this predicament.

So many thoughts are running through my head. So many explanations and apologies owed. Yet right now all I can do is look down at Liz as she sleeps. She’s so beautiful. She slowly inhales and exhales, her steady breathing against my chest. The feel of her warm skin against my bare stomach, her arms wrapped possessively around me… its unreal. Liz Parker is in my bed, wearing my clothes, engaged in my warm embrace. I must be dreaming. I laugh when I realize we’re locked in the same position as when we entered our slumber. I’ve never slept so soundly in my entire life.

Suddenly she begins to stir. Her eyes flutter open and she looks directly at me. She smiles. I know at that moment I’ll do anything to protect her, to not hurt her.

“It wasn’t a dream,” she whispers.

I shake my head, I still can’t speak. I’m still breathless from the last twelve hours. I stroke her damp hair out of her face and kiss her forehead. She leans in for a kiss but I jump up. Not just yet.

“Where are you going?” she asks.

I don’t respond. I race to the bathroom and quickly brush my teeth. Out of the corner of my eye I spot one of my mother’s many flower arrangements she places throughout the house. I return to my room with a minty taste in my mouth and a rose for the love of my life.

She accepts it with a priceless smile, “Thank you.”

Then I lean in, “Morning Breath,” I explain. Just as my lips near hers she jumps up, “And what about me?” This time its my turn to be left frustrated and yearning as she scampers out the door. “Mind if I use your toothbrush?” I begin to respond but I hear the water running and realize she’s not waiting for approval.

The room brightens as Liz walks back into my room. She runs up to my bed and practically attacks me with kisses. I fall back from the force and soon we’re rolling around in my unmade bed until eventually we fall right off the side. Liz erupts in a fit of uncontrollable giggles.

“Are you okay?” I check. She can’t stop laughing and only nods her head. I’ll take it as a yes.

“Max?” my mother calls as she pushes the door to my room open. Liz freezes and I motion for her to stay put, she’s shielded as long as she remains on the other side of my bed. “I thought I heard you.”

“Uh, yeah… um, I.”

“You slept awfully late.”

“Yeah, well…”

“Big night out huh?”

I finally give up on my lying and speaking ability and nod my head. Liz begins to tickle my ankle and its all I can do to restrain the laughter. I’ll have to get her back for this one.

“Well, I guess I’ll just see you downstairs then.”

I sigh as she exits. Quite a close one. My mom just might have had a hernia if she found Liz in my room wearing my shirt. “Good going,” Liz calls from the floor.

“Its not like you were any help,” I say as I kneel down to her level, “You just about blew our cover.”

“I’m sure your mother would have been very understanding,” she teases.

“Yeah, between her and Isabel I’d be lucky to be alive by the end of the week.”

I kiss her before standing and offering my hand to help her up. Then she wraps her arms around me and comes in for another kiss. Hard to believe that several hours ago our lips had never met. Now I feel like mine belong on top of hers.

“Oh my god, not again,” Isabel walks into the room.

“Doesn’t anyone knock around here?” I angrily comment.

She glares at me disapprovingly, “Liz I’m afraid you’re going to have to leave soon. I’m sure our parents are already quite suspicious. That’s right dear brother, I heard your stuttering antics.”

Liz looks sadly at me then replies “You’re right, I suppose them finding me half-clothed in Max’s bedroom would not be getting off on the right foot.”

“I’ll lend you some clothes,” she looks expectantly at her like she wants her to follow but Liz is clinging desperately to me. Isabel lets out an exasperated sigh, “I’ll be right back.”

She returns with a pair of jeans and a t-shirt I haven’t seen her wear for years. “We’ll just give you some privacy,” she says as she grabs me and hauls me out of the room. I’m in for it.

“What the hell were you thinking?”

“I don’t know, Iz, I guess I wasn’t thinking.”

“You’re damn right…”

“And you know what? It felt good.”

“It felt good? It FELT good?! Max, do you know all the risks you’re taking?”

“So what, so Liz and I are involved now. You knew it was inevitable.”

“Involved? That’s not the word I would use to describe rolling around naked in the jeep with. Or that’s not what I was thinking when I found Liz in your room, in your t-shirt.”

“Its not what you think Isabel.”

“Then tell me what to think Max.”

“We just slept together, that’s all.”

She pauses, “Clothed?”

“Yes, clothed. I’m not THAT stupid Iz.”

She stops and stares at me, relief reflected in her face. Suddenly she looks almost compassionate as she says, “I know, I can’t believe I would think… I’m sorry Max. I’m glad you’re happy. You’ve been waiting for this for a long time.”

“My whole life.”

“And I, I can’t really talk.” A mischievous grin crosses her face. Oh my god, is Isabel opening up to me?

“Excuse me?”

“Me and Alex, well we…”

“Isabel!”

“What? We just… talked.”

“Talked,” I say dumbfounded.

“Yeah…” we’re interrupted by Liz calling my name.

“I guess I better go see what’s up. Thanks Iz.”

“Anytime.”

I smile on my way out of the hallway. Isabel and Alex Whitman, now there’s a twosome… Liz is standing in my room in only jeans and a bra. I finally give into temptation and she’s still playing games. “I, uh, I was wondering if I could wear one of your shirts.”

“One of mine?” Is there something I’m not getting?

“Yeah, I um, feel kind of surrounded by you. I like the smell. And if we’re going to have to separate I want a part of you with me.”

I smile, what did I do to deserve her love? “Of course, you can have your pick.” She excitedly begins peering into my closet and scanning my drawers until she chooses a cranberry crewneck.

She pulls it over her head and it practically consumes her. I chuckle a little at the sight. “Well I like it,” she defends herself and hugs it to her body.

“I like you,” I say as I draw nearer. I just can’t believe that she’s finally mine and I can corny things like that to her whenever I feel so inclined.

“I have to go Max. My parents will call Maria if I don’t get home soon. I can’t miss my shift.”

“I’m feeling a bit hungry myself, I’ll probably have to grab a bite to eat soon.”

“Well you know where to go,” she says as she heads toward the window.

“A kiss goodbye?” I pout.

“Max, I’ll never get out,” she pauses, “Okay, just one.”

Ten minutes later and she’s down the ladder, in one piece, and on her way home. I sigh as I collapse on the bed contemplating my next move. I already miss her but showing up at the Crashdown after a mere five minutes of separation would be a bit pathetic. But it feels like an eternity. I turn to find my royal blue Roswell high shirt in a clump on my pillow. I realize I’m still in only my boxers and I pull it over my head. I smile as I inhale the familiar aroma of Liz Parker.

PART 2 The cool breeze blows my long hair into a disheveled clump. I inhale the fresh air and smell the faint aroma of flowers. Birds peacefully chirp in the distance. Children are out playing in their yards on this bright Sunday morning. And I, Liz Parker, am the happiest girl in the world.

I’m practically skipping to the café because I feel like I’m walking on air. Max Evans finally kissed me. I’ve been waiting for that moment for so long. It almost feels like I’ve been waiting my whole life. To be kissed like that… I can’t even find the words to explain it. It was, and avoid the pun, out of this world. Is it because Max is a Czechloslavakian? Or is it because we have such strong feelings for each other? Maybe that’s what kissing your soulmate is really like…

I must admit that last night, on the dance floor, I feared that Max was merely caught up in the moment; that once he had a chance to think about it he’d realize what we had done was wrong. But it felt so right…I never thought Max was being very reasonable. Or maybe I didn’t want to. I told him I didn’t care. He looks and acts like a real human, we’re physically compatible. We’ve seen into each others’ souls, we’re emotionally compatible…that takes out the extra-terrestrial issue.

I know that Max fears the day he may have to go to his planet and leave me. But we can’t look towards an uncertain future to determine the present. And in my opinion, we have to cherish every moment we do have here on Earth. Max’s true home is here, with me.

Last night I also realized that Max was holding back for Michael and Isabel. I’ve overheard Michael saying they can’t get too attached. Of course that was before he met Maria…But can’t they see that Max needs me? When we made that connection, I sensed his loneliness. Max has lived in fear his entire life. Afraid of who he is and what others will think of him. The boy behind the tree…

But I brought Max out. And I’m going to continue to. He deserves at least that. He deserves to know that he’s not a monster. He deserves to know that I love him.

I finally see the familiar UFO sign of the Crashdown and I slowly make my way inside. My dad is sitting at the cash register counting out the money. The place is pretty deserted aside for the few regulars sipping coffee at the counter.

“Lizzy! You look like a mess…big night out?”

“Uh, yeah dad.”

“You and Maria have fun?”

Substitute Maria with another M-name but… “Yeah, we had fun. I guess I better go take a shower before my shift,” I try to make a quick get-away into the back.

“Uh, Liz?” I turn around, “are you okay?”

I think about the question and an uncontrollable smile escapes, “Yeah dad, I’ve never been better.” Spoken in all honesty. I race up the stairs in my dreamy state and get ready for the day ahead.

***

The familiar jingle of the bells on the door sounds and I eagerly look up. Some old guy in flannel and a beer belly takes his usual spot at the counter.

“Sorry babe, Dreamboy’s not here yet,” Maria comes up from behind.

“Oh Maria, I didn’t even hear you come in,” I try to play innocent.

There’s no fooling Maria.

She looks at me cunningly. Then she arched your eyebrows, “You slut!” she exclaims playfully.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I pick up my order pad and begin my approach to the guy with the gut.

“Now hold on, everyone was talking about your and Max’s little make-out session last night. You’re not going to deny your best friend of all the interesting details are you?”

I can’t help but smile; me and Max’s make out session, it has a nice ring to it…

“I don’t want to talk about it…its…well its private.”

“Honey, kissing for twenty minutes in a room full of people is anything but private…and from what Alex told me it wasn’t just kissing.”

Isabel…

I begin to speak but we’re interrupted by the bell signaling another customer. Not just any customer, Max. My face lights up until I see that his reflects something is wrong. His eyes already seem to be apologizing when I turn to see Isabel following close behind…and Max’s parents.

“I suppose I’ll let you take this one chica,” Maria seems to be mocking the predicament I’ve been placed in.

Max leads them over to his typical booth and they slide inside. I can hear his father commenting something about how much time he spends here. I blush when I realize what a frequent customer Max is.

I take a deep breath and secretly wish I had some of Maria’s cedar oil. But I put on a brave face and confidently walk over to the table.

Max and Isabel are both staring at me but all I can do is look over at Max, his glance is so intent, so caring… “Hey,” I say.

Then I snap out of it and remember the current situation. This leads to Max looking around and then clearing his throat, “Um, Mom, Dad—this is Liz…my girlfriend.”

Isabel and I both gasp. I can’t believe it. “My girlfriend.” I am Max Evan’s girlfriend. He’s finally considering me his, finally announcing it to the world, telling his parents for christsake.

The Evans look as stunned as we do. I’m sure they never imagined shy anti-social Max with a girlfriend. But as I’ve discovered in the past couple of months, always question assumptions, anything can happen.

TBC

PART 3

“My girlfriend,” I finish. I can’t believe I just said that. It’s a big step, a monumental one. I’m considering Liz mine. I look up at her, her mouth dropped open in surprise. I hope I haven’t been too presumptuous or said the wrong thing. But the sparkle in Liz’s eye indicates I’m in the right. Thank god.

“Nice to meet you,” Liz says.

My parents look like they’re just seen a ghost. Is it really that hard to believe…well I guess it is. But you could cut the tension at the table with a knife and I figured I might as well provide an explanation. And hell, now was as good a time as any to introduce my parents to the love of my life… my girlfriend.

Isabel clears her throat, ”Her parents own the Crashdown.”

My parents finally snap out of their disbelieving daze. My mom is the first to speak, “Ah yes, Liz, we met at the hospital. You were in the accident with Max.”

Liz nods and begins to say something but is interrupted by my father, “Well now we know why Max spends so much time here!”

We all erupt in awkward laughter. Awkward being the key word here.

“Well, can I take your order?” Liz politely smiles, all the while looking straight at me. Leave it to her to remain calm and collected like everything’s normal. But its far from normal. My life has been turned upside down. But in a good way.

We all make our orders. I can feel my mother’s eyes shifting back and forth between Liz and me. I for one can’t take my eyes off of Liz. I love her in her uniform, antennae and all. I watch her walk over to Maria who’s practically crying from laughter.

“She’s a lovely girl Max,” my mother says.

“How long has this been going on son?” my father asks.

“A day,” I say. “Forever,” Isabel replies at the same time.

“Well which is it?” my mom questions, confused.

I’m speechless. Iz to the rescue, “Well, its only been…official since yesterday,” she eyes me, “but there’s been something between them for as long as I can remember.”

“Well I’m glad you finally worked something out Max,” my mom states. She still seems a bit stunned.

At this point I’m a bright shade of crimson. Conversations with my parents over anything teenager related are never pleasant. And it bothers me, they think its some adolescent crush, they have no idea what Liz and I have. My eyes subconsciously shift to her. She turns around and meets my glaze, then she heads to the storage room.

“I have to go to the bathroom,” I blurt out before I rapidly follow her footsteps.

I step inside the sliding door, “I’m so sorry, they forced me to bring them along for some fam—“

Liz immediately silences me with a passionate kiss, which I eagerly return. An hour is much too long to do without her touch. How are we going to make it?

“Its okay,” she reassures me, “they needed to meet your… your girlfriend sometime.”

“I’m sorry Liz, it just came out.”

“Max, never apologize. I’m so happy you’ve decided to give our relationship a chance.”

“You made it pretty difficult not to,” I add before engaging her in another fervent kiss.

“You better get out there,” she whispers in my ear as I kiss her neck.

“I don’t want to…”

“Max, you have to.”

“I know…”

“Now!” she steps back and puts her antennae headband back on. And with a quick kiss she’s gone. I take a deep breath and walk back to the booth.

Isabel could burn holes into my head with the look she is giving me. Is it that obvious…I wipe my arm across my mouth and am shocked to find smeared lipstick. Isabel rolls her eyes and I try to wipe it all off. I sit back down. My parents fortunately don’t notice. My dad has picked up this morning’s paper and my mom is casually reading over his shoulder.

Isabel runs her hands through my disheveled hair as she scolds me, “Real smooth Max,” she whispers, “try to control your urgings for five minutes.” I just shrug.

Liz arrives with our food. I almost choke on my sip of water at the sight of a huge hickey on her neck. She looks at me confused as Isabel points to her neck. Liz gasps and pulls her collar up to hide the very obvious red mark. Liz, Isabel, and I look towards my clueless parents with wide eyes.

“Here’s your food,” Liz places the plates down and turns to leave.

“Perhaps you’d like to come over some time for dinner,” my mom suggests.

“That would be great Mrs. Evans,” Liz answers as she looks at me. I shrug again but smile. She nods and scurries off, really going to the bathroom this time.

This is going to be excruciatingly tough.

TBC

PART 4

“So dish it girl!” Maria cries as she enters my room, ice cream in hand.

“I told you, I don’t want to talk about it,” I just feel like Max’s and my most intimate details are something that we should keep between us.

“Na-uh. No way. I’ve had to support you through this whole pining away for Max ordeal and you are not going to rob me of my reward. Now give me the juicy details!”

“How about we discuss you. I happened to bump into Michael in the club parking lot last night…”

Maria surrenders. She much rather talk about Michael anyway, “Well I’m out dancing and all of a sudden someone grabs my hand and begins dragging me out of the crowd. Its Michael. So I follow him out into the parking lot and he asks what I’m doing with all those other guys.”

“No way!” I exclaim, that’s not fair.

“Yes way. I was like, you don’t own me Michael, you won’t even talk to me since, since we… kissed. And he’s like ‘That’s because I’m not good at talking about things like that.’ And I’m like ‘Why are you so scared of me Michael?’ and he tells me he’s scared to death. That he can’t get too close to anyone, other than Isabel and Max. I tell him that I can’t expect too much from him but I’m willing to try to be with him. I say we can take it slow, but he just needs to be honest about what he’s feeling.”

“And?”

“And he kissed me.”

“And?”

“And what? That’s it. He left. I haven’t talked to him since. I guess we’ll just have to see…”

“Maria, that’s great.”

“Whatever, back to the topic at hand. You and Spaceboy.”

She is my best friend… “All right. So we were dancing and then he starts to tremble,” I leave out the part about the flashes, “and he says he’s nervous but I tell him he’s doing everything right. And then he kisses me.”

“He kissed you a lot honey!”

“Yeah, well… until Pam Troy came along.”

“God I hate her!”

“Tell me about it. So we head to the jeep and there are just sparks. I mean, Max is so amazing…”

“Yeah, yeah, so what happened?”

“That’s it.”

“If that’s it, what’s this I hear about Isabel finding you naked?”

“Well, I didn’t have my shirt on,” I admit quietly.

“Elizabeth Parker!” Maria teases, “but where’d you go last night.”

“To Max’s.”

She gives me a coy look.

“We just slept together, in each other’s arms. Maria, it was wonderful.”

“Hmmm… at least one Czechloslavakian’s a gentleman.”

“Michael will come around.”

“Ladies,” Alex comes into the room, “I come baring ice cream.”

“Excellent timing,” Maria says as she tosses our empty Ben and Jerry’s container in the trash and lunges at Alex.

“Not so fast, save some for me. You don’t need to be eating, we have a lot of talking to do. About certain Czechloslavakians if you catch my drift.”

“Yes, Lizzy over here was just enlightening me on her out of this world experience,” Maria grins at me.

“So I’ve heard,” Alex says.

“Enough about me,” I’ll jump at any chance to change the subject, “what’s this about some quality bonding time with Isabel?”

“Why I don’t know where you would hear such a thing,” Alex states.

“A little bird told me,” I smile. Okay, so I was eavesdropping.

“I just drove her home, we talked, mostly about Lizzy’s little sexual escapades,” he chuckles, “and I kissed her good night,” he adds under his breath.

“What?!” Maria and I simultaneously exclaim.

“Yeah, yeah, you heard me.”

Maria and I giggle. Clearly none of us are too good at opening up when it comes to…

“Czechloslavakians! What is it about them that leaves us swooning?!” Maria demands. But it’s a rhetorical question because none of us know the answer.

“Liz!” and then the voice of an angel interrupts my quiet contemplation. I walk outside to my balcony, only to find Max, my Romeo, standing in the darkened empty street, “Can I come up?”

“Let me think about it,” I smile and glance over at Maria and Alex.

“We’ll just take the stairs,” Maria says on her way out the door, Alex and Phish food container in tow. I flash a look of gratitude and turn to find Max climbing up the ladder.

“Very impressive,” I comment.

He reaches the top and stumbles into my arms, “I try.”

TBC

PART 5 I yawn as I drag myself through the school parking lot. I’ve been up for a while but it does little to make it any easier. Last night Liz and I cuddled on her bed watching TV. Then we fell asleep in each other’s arms. Next thing I know its 4:30 and I have to get going before a) my parents notice me missing b) Liz’s parents find me not missing, just in their daughter’s bed c) its time to get ready for school or d) all of the above. I contemplate waking her to say goodbye but she looks so peaceful asleep. I kiss her forehead and leave her a note:

Didn’t want to wake you. You need your rest. Couldn’t risk any more close calls. I’ll do anything to prevent our parents keeping us apart. See you at school. Love, Max

Now here I am forcing the movement in my legs as Isabel leads the way into West Roswell High.

“Be glad I saved your ass last night,” she says referring to my late night adventure.

“Thanks,” I mutter in my sleepiness, “I owe you one.”

“Whatever,” but she smiles, noting she’s not bitter. Who would have known Alex Whitman could melt the ice princess…

We walk in and spot Liz and Alex at the water fountain. We flash mutual nods of understanding before heading towards our respective partners. One look at Liz and suddenly I’m not tired anymore. She’s all I need to rejuvenate. She’s my caffeine, my energy, my motivation to get up in the morning. She always has been.

We’re still ten feet apart but we begin our greetings now, “Hey,” I mouth to her because the minute I close the distance gap I wrap her in my arms and engage her in a loving kiss. We finish and I turn to find the entire hallway staring at us. They don’t even attempt to conceal their interest.

“We have an audience,” Liz laughs but her expression turns serious when she turns to me.

“I don’t want to… I can’t be in the spotlight, Liz.”

“Max, its okay.”

“But you don’t understand. I can’t draw any attention to myself.”

“Max this has nothing to do, with…with you know.”

I look into her eyes and I see that she’s speaking the truth, not just trying to comfort me, “You’re right.” And I lean down and kiss her even more passionately than before just to show I mean my words.

“Its enough to make you vomit,” I hear Michael’s sarcasm approaching from behind. Surprisingly with Maria in tow. She hits him in the arm to silence the dry wit.

“Oh hi Maria,” I say and more harshly, “Michael…”

“Hey man, just stating the facts. No need to get touchy,” he replies defensively.

“What Michael means is that he’s very happy you guys can so openly display your affection,” Maria tries to ease the tension.

“There are limits to PDA you know,” he says to her.

“There’s nothing wrong with being happy to see one another…”

I try to drown out their bickering by looking back to Liz who is rolling her eyes. “Can I walk you to class?” I offer my hand to her.

“Please do,” she says as she entwines her delicate fingers in mine. We make our way through the crowd of people. Its like the parting of the red sea as they clear a passage for us. Only this one has staring eyes; staring eyes directed straight at us. I try to ignore them. In fact, I’m somewhat proud. Shy Max, the one who always blends into the background, is Liz Parker’s boyfriend. Liz squeezes my hand. She understands I’m not used to so much attention.

“That’s a great color for you,” she smiles at the cranberry crewneck I’m wearing. I grabbed it from Liz’s floor in the rush of my escape earlier this morning.

“Almost as good as it looked on you,” I smirk.

“I like that stain on it,” she smiles.

“Well I couldn’t wash it now could I?”

TBC I hope you guys get that that’s the shirt Liz borrowed…aww, how cute.

PART 6

“Well I couldn’t wash it now could I?” Max says.

“I believe I’ve started a trend,” I comment.

“Hmm…” he glances dreamily in my direction.

“Wearing each other’s clothes. You’ll have to borrow my halter top next time.”

“Sounds tempting,” he laughs, “but I think I’ll pass.”

I can’t help but grin ear to ear. Max and I are actually having fun. Fun. A word I’d kind of lost touch with starting the day Max’s secret leaked out to suspicious ears. If I wasn’t worried about secret agents or the sheriff hot on our trail or being forced to lie to my unbelieving best friend, I was laying awake at night contemplating my relationship with Max. I’m sorry to admit most of my time was spent on the latter. Max and I were ahead of our time. We grew up too fast, we had whole other problems to deal with aside from grades, parents, and puberty. Whenever together we shared those soul-searching looks and deep conversations. Part of me savored those moments, part of me still does. But the other part wants to be a normal teenager with a normal boyfriend. Things can never be normal. What is so great about normal? But at least now Max and I are enjoying the good aspects of it. Stealing kisses in the hallway and flirtatiously joking around. We weren’t always able to do that.

“Well, well, well if it isn’t the happy couple?” Time to leave normal. Time to end the fun. Kyle Valenti is practically breathing down my neck.

“Kyle…” I turn around as my voice raises an octave-- in the mixture of surprise, irritation, and preparation for dealing with what is to come that I normally use when greeting my often times difficult ex-boyfriend.

“So you and Evans can stop playing little mind games with me. I’m not that stupid.”

Max squeezes my hand to let me know that we’re dealing with this together. I squeeze back, remembering the time Kyle’s friends beat him up and he wouldn’t even tell me, keeping everything bottled up inside. Max can finally stop holding in his emotions. He has me now.

“What are you talking about Kyle?” How many times must I play innocent?

“Oh come on, everybody saw your little show at the club the other night, including me. So you can finally stop denying something’s going on between the two of you. I do have eyes you know.”

“I’m sorry Kyle, but is there a point?” I feel bad being rude to him but its completely obnoxious of him to approach Max and me this way. I’m not his girlfriend anymore. He acts like our love is some personal attack against him. It has nothing to do with anyone but me and Max.

“Oh I just came to warn Evans what he’s getting into. One minute you’re with me, the next you’re making goo-goo eyes at him and I just thought he should know not to get too attached. You drop us like flies, man, and it hurts. And Evans over here looks like a love-sick fool. He’s got it worse than me,” he continues with the piercing words.

“That’s enough Kyle,” Max interrupts, “she doesn’t deserve that.”

Always to my rescue…

“Just trying to help you out man,” Kyle smirks, “she’s really got you wrapped around her finger. I hate to see it when she cuts you off. Its not gonna be a pretty picture.” And with that he’s gone.

Before I can speak, even think of something to say, Max has me in his arms. “I’m sorry you had to be put through that.”

“No, I’m sorry. You have to deal with all his crap too, Max. I brought him into this, I’m so sorry.”

“Liz its not your fault. Just don’t let him get to you. I can only imagine the mess I’d be if I had to let you go.”

“I know what you mean,” I say, “don’t let me go Max.”

He kisses my lips ever so slightly than moves to my neck. He leaves a trail of kisses up to my earlobe before whispering his simple yet deeply moving answer, “never.”

TBC Don’t worry, Kyle will redeem himself!

PART 7

Its been like torture sitting through my first three periods. Now that Liz is finally mine to kiss, to hold, to protect its what I want to do all the time. Seven years. That’s how long I’ve admired her from afar. That’s millions and millions of missed chances, failed opportunites. If only I’d ever had the courage to talk to her, to ask her out, to do anything but merely stare hopelessly and longingly in her direction. I feel like now I have to make up for lost time. I also feel like I have to enjoy it while I can. The future’s uncertain but there’s great risk of our separation. I have to savor every day, every minute, every second…

The bell rings signaling lunch. I leap up out of my seat and practically fly out of the classroom. To a teenage boy lunch is the highlight of the day. Lunch means food. And lunch means Liz.

I walk out into the courtyard and see Liz out of the corner of my eye. She appears to be looking for me as well. I begin to walk towards her when I’m stopped by the exact voice I didn’t want to hear.

“Evans!” Its Kyle.

“Look Kyle, I really have—“

“You love her don’t you?”

At first I turn to leave but the seriousness reflected in his eyes keeps my feet implanted on the ground. I don’t even have to hesitate, “Yes.”

“So that’s the real answer to question number eight… you do remember, don’t you?”

How could I forget. I could have strangled Kyle. He’d asked me if I’d ever been in love, a question on that stupid history assignment. Worst was he asked it right in front of Liz. At the time I’d been too embarrassed, too coward to tell the truth. The hurt in Liz’s eyes tore at my heartstrings. I couldn’t even bare to look at her. Or Kyle for that matter, he’d know I was lying. But something tells me Kyle knew I was lying all along.

After I nod, he continues, “And she loves you. Correct?”

I unlock my eyes from his, “I think so,” I say quietly. I honestly feel really bad. He was pretty attached to Liz, I mean how could he not? She’s so perfect, so lovable, I’m sure there were lines of suitors waiting for her and Kyle’s break-up. By some miracle she chose me.

“I think so too,” he comments. I’m not sure what to do, there’s an awkward silence and I don’t know if we’re done here or if Kyle actually had a point. Apparently he does, “I didn’t mean those things I said.”

“I know Kyle. You were hurt.”

“I was. Its hard to let someone go. Especially when they have such an easy time releasing you.”

I don’t know what to say. After Liz dumped Kyle I could see a difference in her. It was like a huge weight had been lifted off her shoulders. I know she cared about him at some point but the spark was gone. Their relationship paled in comparison to the intensity of our’s.

“Its okay, you don’t have to make up some excuse. I didn’t come here for a shoulder to cry on. I just wanted to apologize. I didn’t mean anything. You know guys and their ego. I just wanted no harsh feelings.”

“Deal,” I say as I hold out my hand. Me and Kyle Valenti actually getting along—who would have thought?

I begin to tell Kyle that’ll he’ll find someone, eventually but I’m interrupted by Vicki Delaney, “Kyle?!”

I couldn’t have said it better myself. I nod to Kyle, our work is done and begin to head towards the table now occupied by Liz, Alex, and Maria. “Evans?” I’m getting quite anxious at this point.

I’m facing Kyle yet again, “She does love you. I have eyes you know,” he reminds me.

“Thanks, Kyle.”

“Any time,” he locks arms with Vicki and they head off to the vending machines.

I again look at my intended destination. Much to my surprise Isabel has joined the crew. I watch her body language as she squeezes next to Alex. This is one for the record books. First of all, she smiles. This is quite humorous. As if I haven’t had enough excitement for the day Michael follows close behind. I must be dreaming. Michael even bothered coming to school. Maria must really be working the charm. I’m the last one to join and plop down right next to Liz.

“What took so long?” she asks before laying a soft kiss on my desperate, long anticipating lips.

“Oh, I had a few scores to settle,” I say.

She raises an eyebrow and gives me a curious look before realizing, “Kyle.”

“He’s okay Liz, happy even. He didn’t mean anything.”

“I know. It all just seems too good to be true. Its like…”

“We have nothing to worry about,” I finish.

“Yeah,” she agrees, “everything’s just perfect.”

“Except for one thing,” I can’t help but add.

“And what would that be?”

I pull her up into my arms and away from the table, trying to best avoid Michael’s oh so predictable “we’re eating” remark. Then I hungrily press my lips onto hers in the absolute ideal kiss.

“I was just getting ready for dessert,” she smiles. It’s certainly the best I’ve ever tasted.

TBC

PART 8

“I was just getting ready for dessert.” I smile. Corny I know, but with Max I mean every word that comes out of my Hallmark-overexposed mouth.

“Glad I could serve you,” Max grins back. I love to see him happy like this. If I’m ever in a bad mood I know that all I have to do is picture Max right now. The sun is reflecting off his cheekbones as they raise in his tantalizing smile. His hair is slightly disheveled from my fingers. I love to play with his soft brown hair as I kiss him. I guess you could say it’s a habit, I do it so often. His chocolate colored eyes are sparkling. His face is slightly scruffy, he obviously hasn’t had time to shave having spent the late hours of the night and early ones of the morning at my house. His, our, cranberry shirt compliments his strong physique and skin tone. He’s so perfect I can hardly believe he’s real. There must be this thing about Czechloslavakians and their amazing looks. Because as I’m admiring Max and I can’t help but think—he can’t possibly be human.

“What are you thinking about?” He asks and I realize I’ve grown silent in my thoughts.

“How handsome you are.” How can I lie to him? I don’t regret my honesty for a second, especially when I see Max’s cheeks redden. He’s blushing. And he’s adorable.

“Well I think you’re beautiful,” he responds.

“Max, you don’t have to say that.” Oh, that blasted teenage insecurity.

“But I want to. It’s the truth. Do you not see how beautiful you are? Your eyes, your lips, your hair… I can’t get enough of you. I feel like I’m the luckiest guy in the world… in the universe,” he smirks at his timely joke.

I would laugh but I’m too moved by his words. I’m afraid any sudden movements might release the tears slowly building up in my eyes. In Max Evans’s eyes I’m beautiful… Like any girl my age, I’m not confident with myself. But when Max utters these words-- he makes me believe them. He always makes me feel worthy of his love. Its an amazing feeling. And suddenly my heart is flooded with hope. I know that as long as I have Max, I’ll always have this feeling. And with this feeling I can do anything, face anything. Max and I together… we’re invincible.

***

I’m trying desperately to concentrate for five minutes. Five minutes is all the time I need to finish my biology notes. But one glance at my partner and I can hardly last five seconds. I’m furiously writing words on the page, not sure whether they even make since. How can I keep my train of thought with Max so close? He slides a slip of paper across the table. I open it without hesitation:

<>

I force myself not to look at him because if I see that caring, pleading look in his eyes I’ll never be able to return to my work ever again.

<>

I slide it back across, hoping he’ll leave me alone just a little bit longer. Well I’m actually hoping for some natural disaster that will close school forever. Maybe it’ll even trap Max and I in the elevator or some other confined space where no once else can bother us. I’m sure we’ll have no trouble keeping ourselves occupied…

<>

So much for Plan A, now I’m waiting for the hurricane.

<>

Or maybe a tornado.

<>

I sigh and lay down my pencil. I finally turn to look at him, my dashing suitor in cranberry. My persistent suitor. I take his large hand in mine and squeeze. “Me neither,” I whisper, “me neither.”

TBC

PART 9

Being in love can be quite exhausting. I went to bed late in Liz’s arms. I woke up early in Liz’s arms. I had to book it before dawn so that Liz’s dad didn’t snatch me from her arms and rip me limb from limb. Quite an adrenaline rush really.

Being in love can distance you from your friends. I hardly even noticed the others at lunch I was so wrapped up in Liz. Of course I can’t say I miss Michael and Maria’s denial of their love via endless fighting or Alex and Isabel trying to figure out the mystery status of their relationship.

Being in love provokes odd treatment from your parents. It’s like in their eyes, I’m a different person. I swear every time my mother speaks to me its like she’s finally realized her baby boy has grown up. And she’s not happy about it. Suddenly she questions everywhere I’m going and what I’m doing and if Michael and/or Isabel will be there. We used to be able to get away with a midnight run to Marathon, Texas and now I can’t go to the convenience store to get a candy bar without explaining the course I’ll be following and precisely how long it will take.

Being in love places serious strains on your grades. I couldn’t even sit still in any of my classes, anxious to see Liz. The teacher’s monotonous voice was echoing through my ears yet I couldn’t make out a word he was saying. I couldn’t concentrate on anything. Except Liz.

Being in love makes you forget everything else.

Being in love makes you dizzy and uncontrollable.

Being in love can sometimes be scary.

Being in love causes you to do things you never would have before.

Being in love can get you in serious trouble.

Being in love is the best thing to ever happen to me.

***

I’m crawling through Liz’s window and I can already smell her. She’s sitting on her bed writing in her journal, ‘Anything about me?” I can’t help but ask.

“As a matter of fact, yes,” I can tell we’re enjoying the ability to be honest and frank with each other. After a lifetime of lies and secrets and yearnings I feel like I’m finally free. “But you still can’t read it.”

“Tease,” I say as I walk to her and begin to tickle her senseless. She erupts in uncontrollable giggles, which only further encourage me.

“I give, I give!” she cries in surrender. I reluctantly stop, “But you still can’t read it.”

I plan my next torture until I’m distracted by Liz’s tank top, which has slowly crept up, revealing the smooth skin of her stomach. Before I know it, I’m placing my hand to the left of her navel.

“Where you healed me,” she whispers.

I simply nod my head because I can’t speak. I’m reminded of that day, that day where I almost lost Liz. Amazingly, that’s the day that brought us together.

I also feel the heat surfacing from her skin. My gaze meets hers and I know what she wants. Its exactly what I want.

I lean down from my sitting position and kiss her stomach, right where my hand print once rested. Then I begin at her neck and work my way up to her lips. I feel like I’m attacking her. The hunger we exchange is unlike any I’ve ever known.

Its worse than in the jeep outside the club. Its worse because I don’t think I can control it. I don’t think I can stop it.

Liz again brings me to a sitting position so that she can glide my t-shirt off with ease. Which she precedes to do, throwing it into a cranberry clump on the floor. She runs her hands up and down my chest before returning them back around me, massaging my shoulders. All the while I can’t stop kissing her.

There’s something different about this moment. Its like I can feel everything that Liz is feeling—her emotions, fears, and desires. And most importantly, her needs. She wants and requires my touch. I stop to look into her eyes, seeking permission, even though I already know the answer. I begin to pull off her emerald tank top. We both gasp at the contact of her skin against mine. The light-headedness characteristic of my intense moments with Liz is beginning to kick in. But suddenly I don’t need to think. Loving her has become second nature to me. Just her presence seems to activate my muscles and they begin to function as they meet her every craving.

We’re now laying down as we continue to kiss and hold one another, surrounded in each other’s love and passion. This must be what heaven is like.

Liz begins to fumble with the button on my jeans and I worry what we’re getting into, especially since I know that if we go too far—I can never go back, we can never go back. I want this more than anything but Liz and I have been together a mere two days. I haven’t even said “I love you” yet. Not because I don’t feel it. I haven’t made love to her not because I don’t want to. It’s just that some things you have to save.

But I don’t even have time to contemplate or make my decision because Mrs. Parker has thrown open the door and is standing to my left with a look on her face that would frighten the devil.

TBC

PART 10

“Liz!” My name echoes throughout the room, the anger it’s spoken with pulsating in my ears. Busted.

I have to do something. The problem is, I don’t even know where to begin. I’ve confronted the FBI, lied to the town sheriff, weasled my way out of various confrontations from a very jealous and suspicious ex-boyfriend-- but at this moment I can hardly speak. The major factor being, there is no real way out of this. My mother has caught me half-naked with a boy in my bedroom and if it had been a few moments more we could have been wearing even less. This is not good. Not good at all…

But my mother seems as caught off guard and as speechless as me. I can feel the heavy breathing against my cheek and suddenly I remember Max’s role in all of this. I can feel his fear and confusion as well. But when I look up into his eyes I know that whatever happens it will be okay. He’ll get me through this. We’ll get through this. But first I have to regain my speaking and thinking ability.

“This—this is unacceptable,” my mom is quite flustered at this point.

“What do you think you’re doing?”

“Who is this boy?”

“Don’t you think you should be putting some clothes on?

“Shouldn’t you be heading home?”

She starts shooting out a laundry list of questions one after the other, not even pausing to wait for a response.

“Max,” I whisper. Its all I can get out, all I can think about. What if she separates us? I can’t bear the thought. I can accept any punishment, except having Max taken away from me.

“What did you say?”

“Max,” I say a bit louder. Unfortunately that only answers one of her questions.

I clear my throat, “This is Max.”

“Nice to meet you,” Max says, cheeks flushed. This is not going well.

“I want you downstairs, now young lady,” my mom is in no mood to exchange pleasantries, “I shouldn’t leave you two alone but I trust you’ll behave considering the circumstances. I’ll be waiting,” she glares at me before leaving the room and the door—wide open.

I collapse against Max’s bare chest. He pats my shoulder and kisses my forehead before reaching over the bed and coming up with my tank top. “We better get you dressed.” Always the calm, logical one.

I nod and sit up. He motions for me to hold up my arms and he slips my shirt on over my head. Its such a sweet gesture I have to hold back the tears. I do the same for him.

He notices my quivering lip, “It will be okay Liz.”

“I just don’t want them to keep us apart,” I choke.

“That won’t happen, Liz,” he tries to reassure me, “We’ll be together no matter what.”

He takes my hand to escort me downstairs. I’m not sure if him accompanying me is the best idea but I know that I can’t do this without him. Max is my strength.

We slowly begin our descent to our execution. My mother is waiting at the bottom of the stairs, arms firmly crossed against her chest. The fury in her eyes is quite intimidating. It seems to grow at the site of Max. Not to mention the fact that I’m clinging to him for dear life.

We reach her and stand awaiting our impending doom. My mother begins to speak but is interrupted by Max, “Mrs. Parker, I wish we could have met under different circumstances but my name is Max Evans, I’m sure you know my parents…” he continues, “I’d just like you to know that I’m in love with your daughter and would never do anything to hurt her. I respect and care for her so much, I can’t even put it into words. I just hope you don’t do something we’ll all regret. I apologize for everything,” he pauses, “but I can’t apologize for loving Liz.”

He knows it’s his time to leave and he looks at me sadly. He lays a soft kiss on my lips and I mouth “thank you.” Gradually I disentangle my fingers from his and he leaves. Seeing him go, especially after doing such a valiant thing, just for my benefit, is unimaginably painful.

I get lost in his words, “I’m in love with your daughter…” Although I wish Max’s declaration of love had been a bit more private somehow it seemed like the perfect time. I admire his courage, I know how shy Max is and for him to speak more than two words to my mother, especially after the recent events, is quite a feat for him. But to stand up to her, defending me, revealing his innermost feelings… it makes me love him even more. And I didn’t even think that was possible.

My mom is just as much in shock as I when she admits, “Quite a catch you’ve got there.”

“He’s the best thing that’s ever happened to me.”

“I don’t want to punish you or keep you away from him, I don’t even think that would work…but” she begins to dab at her eyes, “I can’t see my baby girl grow up so fast.” She begins to sob and so do I.

I walk up to her and hug her, overcome with emotion. “Mom, I’m not going to do anything I’m not ready for. Its just, I love him mom.”

She runs her hand through my hair, “I just want to protect you. And I don’t want you to get hurt.”

“Max won’t hurt me mom. He only makes me happy.”

For a moment we stand in our embrace, letting the tears fall on to each other’s shoulders. Then she holds me out at arm’s length, “Only yesterday you were a little girl, now you’re looking me straight in the eye.” She wipes her nose, “Just promise me you’ll be careful.”

“I will,” and I head toward my locker to prepare for my shift.

“But Elizabeth,” its always serious when she uses my full name, “that doesn’t mean you’re not in for it if I catch you again.”

“You won’t,” I vow. We’ll just have to go to Max’s…

TBC

PART 11

I know its Liz before I even pick up the phone.

“Liz?”

“Max—how did you know it was me?”

“I don’t know…I could just feel you.”

“Oh,” I can tell she’s somewhat speechless.

“So what happened with your mom?”

“Well…can I just come over?”

“Sur—“

“I’m on my way!” and then there’s a click and I’m left stunned with the dial tone buzzing in my ear.

Waiting for her is like agony. Especially with the happenings of hours past. To think the status of our relationship is in her mother’s hands is quite frightening. I’m still trying to get a hold of everything that occurred. I can’t believe that it was I standing up to Liz’s mother like that, speaking so frankly. I felt free. I’ve kind of shied away from sharing my feelings, admitting my love for Liz. I’ve thought it so many times but to speak it, for my words to actually be out in the open, rather than just in my head, it kind of scared me. But now I know what its like and I’m not afraid anymore.

“Honey—Liz is here!” My mother’s voice calls up the stairs, interrupting my quiet contemplation. But I’m without a doubt pleased by the news.

I jump up and practically run out the door. I’m halfway down the stairs before I decide to retain some level of my dignity and attempt to casually walk the following few. My excitement is already apparent anyways. My mother is practically beaming as she makes idle chit chat with Liz, I’m sure over work or school… hopefully not about me.

“Max!” My mom begins at the sight of me. “Liz and I were just discussing her staying for dinner tonight.”

This could be interesting, “Um, sure.”

Liz looks in my direction and smiles. We’re both thinking the same thing—at least Mrs. Parker didn’t decide to give my parents a ring. But I begin to wonder what did happen and really don’t care to stick around and share Liz with my mother, “we’re just gonna head up to my room.”

“Okay, dinner will be ready in thirty minutes.”

“Thanks Mrs. Evans,” Liz calls out as I’m dragging her back upstairs. They’re going to love her.

We’re barely through the doorway before I turn her around to face me and lay a fervent kiss on her delicate lips. She immediately responds but pulls away after a few pure moments of bliss, “Don’t you want to know what happened?”

“I did but suddenly I was distracted, “ I grin.

“That can wait,” she laughs and sits down on my bed before continuing “my mom was unbelievably cool.”

“Are you serious?”

“Max, what you said really made a difference. You said all the right things. And most importantly, you said them honestly.”

“I meant every word.”

“I know,” she blushes, “and so does my mom. She could tell how much you—we, mean to each other and that its wrong to keep us apart, not to mention next to impossible.”

“That’s great, Liz—I am so relieved,” I take a seat next to her.

She reaches down and takes my hand in both of hers, “Me too.” We share another soul-searching stare reminiscent of the days before I finally gave into temptation and finally let Liz in.

“Why don’t we get back to what we started,” she smirks as she leans inward.

I eagerly accept the invitation and lay my lips on hers. I carefully rest her down on the bed and lean over her. We continue to kiss as I grasp her hand in mine, locking and unlocking my fingers delicately with hers. A little déjà vu as we find ourselves in the same position as earlier this afternoon in her bed but this time the kisses are less hungry, more romantic. The passion is still there, yet suddenly Liz and I are straying from a couple of sexually frustrated teenagers to something so much more. We’re lovers. Soulmates even. This is exactly how it should always be.

Suddenly I receive a string of flashes. I see Liz and I dancing together at our prom, she looks so beautiful in a scarlet gown that hugs her perfect figure and highlights her lovely coloring. Then we’re embracing in a foreign yet vaguely familiar room—our apartment. Then I see Liz in a long cream dress blowing in the breeze. She’s barefoot as she dances along the white sand, her long brown hair graced by a veil of flowers. I see myself coming up from behind, dressed in linen slacks and a white button-down collared shirt, wrapping my arms around her small waist. She leans her head back to lay a delicate kiss on my lips before casting her eye towards her outstretched hand. We both stop to admire the sparkling ring resting on her finger. Its our wedding day.

“Max,” Liz whispers from beneath me, “did you see that?”

I nod my head, still speechless from the rush of images.

“What do you think it all means?” she asks although we both know the answer.

“Its…” I begin,” its our future.”

I sit up at the end of the bed trying to get a grip on reality.

Liz comes up from behind and wraps her soft arms around my neck. I can smell her raspberry lotion and peach shampoo. Its heavenly.

“See Max, you can put your fears to rest. Everything’s going to work out for us. We’re going to be…”

“The happiest people in the world,” I finish.

“Yeah,” she agrees as she presses her precious lips to my neck, working her way up.

“Liz, I’m not afraid anymore.”

She stops and climbs next to me, her feet dangling off the side of my bed. “I never was Max, I always knew that something that felt this right couldn’t possibly be wrong.”

“I wish I’d listened to you before. I’m so sorry Liz, all the times I could have come up to talk to you, ask you out…”

She presses her finger to my lips and wipes away the single tear that is sliding down my cheek. Her eyes are glistening, foreshadowing the tears that will inevitably fall.

“I love you Liz,” it comes out so easily it almost catches me off guard.

Her face seems to brighten at the sound of my words. It warms my heart to know I am the cause for that expression of such happiness. “I love you Max Evans,” she says without hesitation.

She reaches over to hug me and I let it all out. I can’t remember the last time I cried and its as if I’m releasing all the pent-up emotion, it comes pouring out as I sob into Liz’s shoulder. She gently strokes my back with one hand as she massages my neck with the other, comforting me as I did her the night her grandmother died.

I’ve always been too embarrassed to cry but with Liz I feel no shame. Funny thing is, the waterfalls I’m crying are not tears of sadness, they’re nothing but pure delight. I don’t know what’s going to happen but I do know that through it all Liz and I will endure, our love will pull us through. That’s all I need to know.

I cry until there’s nothing left to cry before Liz lifts my chin and meets my blood-shot eyes with hers. She reaches over and gently kisses away the salty tears soaking my face.

I sniffle, “I love you.”

“You said that already,” she casts me a playful smile to lift the mood.

“I like saying it.” At this point loving Liz is the most natural thing in the world to me.

“I like hearing it…” she responds, “well, I love you too.”

I run my hands through her soft hair and push it behind her ears as I gaze into her beautiful eyes, the ones I’ll be staring into for the rest of my life.

“Kids! Dinner’s ready!” my dad calls.

I wipe my nose and prey I look presentable.

She practically reads my mind, “You look fine,” and taking a deep breath, “Well here goes nothing.”

She stands up and offers her hand. I immediately accept and rise as well.

“If they’re anything like me, they’ll worship the ground you walk on.” Spoken with all sincerity.

We share a brief kiss before we begin our descent. Liz and I have finally learned how to love. And we’re quite good at it I might add. Together we’ll face the elements and the endless boundaries of the universe. Everything’s uncertain yet I have no doubt that no matter what happens, we’ll live happily ever after.

Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.