FanFic - Max/Liz
"Imbalance"
Part 2
by Emma Whitfield
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with the WB, Melinda Metz or anyone else involved in the production of the show or the book series. I am merely borrowing the characters, and promise to return them as good as new. :)
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG
Authors Note: As I have said, this story takes place directly after The Balance. If you can remember that far back, LOL, this is the episode where Michael gets sick, and Max asks to take a step back from Liz. None of the alien mumbo-jumbo occurred. There is no Tess, and Nasedo is just a name. Anyway, try to read this story in that mind set. I wrote this way back in January, and any similarities are PURELY coincidental. (That, or I'm just a mindreader, lol).
The sun poured into Liz Parker's bedroom, softly caressing her face in its gentle rays. She blinked a few times, and slowly sat up. She didn't get that much sleep last night. It was another one of those restless nights. But she'd been having these nights more frequently.

Liz was nervous about the day at school. It wasn't because midterms had started, and her worst class, AP History, had a major project due today. It was Max Evans. Even after a month, she felt butterflies when she knew she had to face him. To make sure she didn't feel that way, she avoided any situation where they would need to talk. Max seemed to feel the same way. They carried on their superficial conversations about mitosis and prokaryotes, all the while knowing of the deep pain they felt inside.

In the whole month since that fateful day, Liz had only spoken a few words to him. And the worst thing was, they all related to their biology class. Liz felt like the barrier between her and Max was even higher and stronger and more powerful than ever before. She had thought she had been making progress. She had thought that their kiss had finally opened a big enough hole in the wall that divided them, and that together, they could find a path to each other. But now, it was as if a force had literally ripped them apart. It was as if this same force had rebuilt the barrier to a greater power than ever before. It placed them on two different sides, in their own solitary fortresses, with no way out.

*****

Isabel Evans was applying final touches to her makeup when she saw her brother silently walk down the hallway that adjoined their rooms. She continued to fix herself up, but kept a wary eye on her brother. He seemed so tired. Isabel didn't think he had had sleeping issues, but she could never be too sure. Michael always dropped by, in the middle of the night, and Max was always fine in the morning. No, nowadays, it seemed that he had simply been drained of his energy.

Max had always had amazing eyes, so full of expression; of words that didn't need to be stated. Isabel had noticed that they had lost their glimmer, their shine. Something was blocking his emotions. A cloud had settled on her brother. And there was nothing Isabel could do about it.

*****

Maria DeLuca stopped by the Crashdown to pick up her best friend, Liz Parker. She sat in her Jetta, waiting patiently for Liz to come out. This wasn't like her. Liz was always punctual. Everyone has their off days, Maria thought, and shrugged it off. She sat in the car, listening to the radio, when she saw Liz come out of the café.

"Hey Liz!" said Maria cheerfully.

"Hi," was the quiet reply.

"You ok?"

"Um, I'm fine," was Liz's unsteady reply. She sounded as if she were about to cry.

"Liz?" Maria said softly. "Are you sure you're ok?"

Liz shook it off. She didn't want to talk about it. "I'm just really tired. I had literally two seconds of sleep," she laughed off. "Come on. We better get to school. I need to look over my notes before my English midterm."

Maria started the car and shook her head. This was so like Liz. She never opened up to anybody. She pretended that nothing was wrong. She thought that if she had a problem no one could ever tell. Liz doesn't even realize how transparent she actually is, Maria thought.

Maria was Liz's best friend since they were born. They did everything together, and knew everything about each other. They cared for each other like sisters, especially since they were both only children. Ever since Max had come into the picture, Liz changed. Maria thought that it was for the better. They had more heart - to - heart talks, and giggled endlessly about being in love, and other alien-boy related issues that confronted the sophomore girls. But Max's decision to end things shattered everything. Liz had become more distant. Her mind was always somewhere else, no matter what else she tried to do to cover it up. Maria felt horrible, because whenever she had tried to bring it up, Liz either changed the subject or simply did not answer. Maria now learned to completely avoid the subject, at least until Liz was strong enough to talk about it.

Maria glanced over at Liz from the driver's seat. Liz leaned against the window, her forehead resting in her hand. Maybe she really didn't get sleep, thought Maria. Maria looked at Liz again. Pain flickered over her face, along with sadness. They rested on her face until a single solitary tear rolled down her ashen cheek.

Part 1 | Index | Part 3
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.