FanFic - Max/Liz
"Imbalance"
Part 14
by Emma Whitfield
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with the WB, Melinda Metz or anyone else involved in the production of the show or the book series. I am merely borrowing the characters, and promise to return them as good as new. :)
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG
Authors Note: As I have said, this story takes place directly after The Balance. If you can remember that far back, LOL, this is the episode where Michael gets sick, and Max asks to take a step back from Liz. None of the alien mumbo-jumbo occurred. There is no Tess, and Nasedo is just a name. Anyway, try to read this story in that mind set. I wrote this way back in January, and any similarities are PURELY coincidental. (That, or I'm just a mindreader, lol).
“Max? What are you doing here?” Max stopped dead in his tracks. It was that voice. Liz’s voice. She sounded like soft bells in a gentle breeze. His heart was beating so fast, and increased at a rapid rate as he turned around. He couldn’t even think straight. He could do nothing but look at her.

She had climbed over the large boulder, and was teetering on a tiny ledge at its side. Barefooted, her feet peeked out from under her sweeping dress. She gripped onto the rock with her slim arms. Her face was tilted in question. And her eyes glowed under the passing moon.

“Max?” That sweet voice, beckoning to him.

“Umm…” Max stuttered, trying to think of something coherent to say to the ravishing beauty before him. “I’m just here, I guess.” Max felt like kicking himself. He could never think of anything intelligent to say around her. It was like she took over his brain and enveloped his heart.

“Oh. Well, I’m really glad to see you…” she said shyly.

“You’re glad? To see me?”

Liz nodded demurely.

Max was puzzled. “But, that guy… Who was that?”

“Oh, that was Dave.”

“Oh,” Max said sadly.

“No, no,” Liz said. “It’s not what you think.”

“What do I think?”

“He’s not-- He isn’t--”

Max watched her grope for the right words.

“He could never mean anything to me.”

Max didn’t know what to say.

“Especially because of you.” Liz said lovingly.

Max was shocked. He too, wanted to tell her so badly that she was everything to him. But he knew that he was halting a “normal” relationship, and as much as he wanted to be with her, he knew he had to tell her that nothing could happen. That was why he had come in the first place…right?.

He was so confused. His emotions were on a roller coaster. That was the effect she had on him. His brain lost all their functioning cells when he so much as thought of Liz.

He started to speak, but Liz put an arm up to stop him, and continued. “No, wait, Max. I have to tell you something. Please, please listen to me. I-- Dave is great, but how could I be with him?”

Max was quiet.

“How could I ever be with him when you’re all I ever think about? I dream of you every second of every minute of every day of my life. It’s not fair to him.”

She paused, anticipating what Max might say.

“And I know you’re going to say it’s not safe, but what’s safe? You really can’t say anything is safe. I want to be happy. And I already know what happiness is. It’s… you.”

Liz voice wavered through her speech, and Max could see small droplets forming in her infinite eyes, the windows into her soul. Max could feel his own breath catch, and he moved closer to her, close enough to touch her.

Soon, he was standing in front of her. She was a few feet above him, as she was still on the boulder. She looked down, her eyes burning into his own. The moment was perfect, but would be more perfect still if she was in his arms. He slowly raised his hand to touch her own. She slowly extended her slender arm until he placed his hand on hers. He entwined his fingers with Liz’s, trying to show her how much she meant to him. But he didn’t need to prove anything to her. The warmth and tenderness he felt from Liz was undeniable. He knew she felt just like he did. He gazed longingly into her eyes. Liz leaned in towards him, her enchanting face inches from his own.

Max had to remind himself that this was just a dream. But it had to stem from the truth. Liz really wanted to be with him. He was sure of it. He knew he had been finicky about their feelings for each other before -- he had seen her with Dave, and assumed the worst. But now, she had told him how she felt. What she felt was what he felt. And it was wonderful.

Suddenly, Liz’s foot caught on the boulder, and she fell into his arms. Surprised, but certainly pleased to hold her, he encircled her waist, and brought her down. All the while, he drew her to him, as the feeling of her body against hers was something he had needed for so long.

“Sorry,” she sheepishly whispered.

“It’s okay. I’m here for you.” He spoke into her ear, millimeters away from her earlobe. The world spun around her.

“I’ll always be here for you.” Liz bit her lip in giddiness and looked down, blushing. When she lifted her face up again, she looked into Max’s eyes. He hadn’t been kidding. His eyes told her he was serious.

He gently brought her down into the sand, never taking his eyes off her. When her feet touched the soft grains, they both knew she didn’t need him to steady her any longer. But neither of them wanted to let go. Max gradually loosened his arms, but never once did his gaze falter from her face.

The sky, which had been dark for so long, had started to turn into shades of pale pink and salmon, vibrant scarlet and crimson, vivid indigos and violets. Max and Liz looked up, and Liz breathed, “Oh! We can watch the sun rise.”

Max looked over at Liz, who was watching the sun move up in the distant horizon, replacing the hovering moon, which faded into the now brilliant sky. She was so beautiful, standing there, simply staring out at the ocean and the tiny strip of sun, slowly beginning its long ascent.

“I’ve only watched the sun rise over the ocean once, when I went to California. Ever since, I’ve always wished we had an ocean near us,” Liz murmured. “This is where I hope to be when I grow up. Just like this.” Liz hoped that Max understood that “this” meant not only the majestic sun, and peaceful ocean, but him as well. Only he would make any of the other things meaningful. She caught his eye. He knew. She turned back to bask in the upcoming sunlight.

Max watched Liz as she moved closer to the water. She was enrapt in the ocean and the sun. Max was amazed at her love for what was in front of her. He had always known she had loved the ocean, but never really thought much of it. Now he realized that this place was what she considered to be heaven. Just like how any place with Liz would be Max’s heaven.

A single ray of rising sunlight streamed in, and caught Liz’s hair. Glinting like a bar of gold, her hair glowed on her narrow shoulders. Max needed to touch it. He needed to touch her. Taking a few steps to be closer, he moved directly behind her. She continued to look out into the great beyond. Max wasn’t sure if he should ruin the touching moment. But his need for her was overpowering any rational thought, and so he slowly lifted his arms up, and brought his hands to the sides of her stomach. Liz jumped a little at his touch, but said nothing to stop him. Max continued, guiding his fingers around her waist, until each hand met, and rested lightly on her stomach. He drew her closer so she leaned on his chest. He could smell her hair, heavenly as always. He moved his face so that his cheek touched hers. Placing her hands over Max’s, Liz sighed in contentment. She closed her eyes, and thought to herself how she had never felt so safe and secure in her life.

Neither of them had to say anything. They both knew exactly how they felt, and how perfect it was to be together.

Part 13 | Index | Part 15
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.