FanFic - Max/Liz
"Hidden Paths"
Part 5
by Mslayer713
Disclaimer: I don't own the character's, just the plot.
Summary: Alternative reality fic.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Michael watched as Max paid for the pretzel and soft drink. He tried to figure out what he was thinking, but all he got was a blank slate.

"Why are we here again?"

Max sighed and sat down at the picnic table. "We are here to see why this is considered to be the place to be on Saturdays."

Michael made a face and scanned the crowd. He was way past bored. The park was a bust. "This is the place for the jocks and their air head girl friends. Also known as the cheerleaders."

"Isabel was a cheerleader you know," Max informed Michael.

"Hence the air head part." Michael said with a smile.

"I'd like to see you tell her that to her face," Max cracked. He went back up to the cart and grabbed the hot sauce and poured it all over his pretzel and even in his drink.

"And risk the 'Wrath of Isabel'?" Michael asked as he stole a drink of Max's soda. "I think not."

Max smiled. "I have taught you well."

Michael snickered. "Oh-I taught myself also. I remember one time when she wouldn't speak to me for a month."

"Was that when she was deleting your emails?" Max inquired. "She even deleted some for me."

Michael shrugged. "I don't even know what I did."

Max thought for a second. "Um…oh, Isabel dreamed that you told some boy that she was your girlfriend so he would stop teasing you, and she felt used."

Michael froze. "Are you serious?" His eyes were big.

Max nodded. "Yeah. I tried to tell her it was just a dream, but she was convinced it was real."

Michael was in his own little world. "No…she was right," he said suddenly.

Max's head shot up. "What?" he asked.

Michael could see the fear in his eyes, but said it anyway. "Paulie wouldn't get off my back, so I told him Isabel was my girl to explain why I never date."

Max just sat there. He finally mumbled. "This is a joke, right?"

Michael shook his head. "I wish," he whispered.

Max stood up and shook his head. "This was just a weird coincidence," he said with conviction. "That's all."

Michael gazed at his best friend. "Max…do you remember when I would call you?"

Max started to walk away. "No-I gotta go," he said suddenly.

"Max!" Michael called out after him, but he was gone.

*************************************************************

Isabel, Maria, and Liz scanned the racks of dresses and chatted about their love lives.

"So, Liz, your turn," Maria said suddenly.

Liz got the 'deer caught in head-lights' look but nodded.

"Why were you hiding from Kyle?" Isabel asked.

Liz sighed and tried to explain. "Me and Kyle are complicated…"

Maria smiled. "Ok, Kyle is like chocolate," she said plainly. Both girls chuckled, but Maria continued. "Just let me explain. Kyle is like chocolate. He's good at certain times of the month, but other then that, he's just blah."

Liz stopped walking. "That's actually right," she said in awe.

"See, I'm good."

Isabel smiled. "Ok, DeLuca. What about me?"

Maria looked her up and down. "Um…you try to be hard and tough, but underneath you want a guy to make you laugh and be a total sweet heart," Maria answered. "You think the most romantic thing a guy can do is hold your hand in public," she added.

Isabel stopped and looked hard at Maria. "How did you know that?" she asked.

Maria seemed confused. "I don't know…I just did."

Liz stopped and looked at Isabel's face. She looked panicked and ready to bolt. "Isabel, are you ok?"

"Yeah…just a little wigged I guess," she said softly.

Maria shrugged her shoulders and started walking again. "Don't be. I told you I'm good." she raised her eyebrows and smiled. "I see the future," she said in a completely fake accent.

Isabel and Liz both laughed and they continued their shopping spree.

An hour and five bags later, three of them Isabel's, all three girls were walking out the main doors of the mall.

"Ok, I'm shopped out," Maria said.

Isabel glanced at her bags and shrugged. "I could go again."

Liz shook her head. "You live on the edge."

Maria hefted her bag into the crook of her arm as she dug out the keys to the trunk of her car. "Ok, Crash for drinks?" she inquired.

All three girls pilled the bags into the trunk then piled into the car. "Can we go someplace else?" Liz asked.

Maria shook her head. "You gotta go back some time or later."

Isabel leaned up from the back and added, "I don't think Kyle would wait this long to see if you're gonna show back up to work."

Liz glanced at her. "But he'd wait for me to go home."

Isabel looked confused; then Liz added, "Didn't we tell you? My parents own the Crashdown. We live right atop it."

"Oh. That explains why you were there the other night and not working."

Liz nodded then eyed Isabel. "Yeah, about that night…"

Isabel looked at her. "What?"

Should I ask her? Liz thought. What if they're dating? Then I'll look like total fool. And what if he doesn't like me? What then? Plus she already knows I'm dating Kyle. Liz took in a deep breath and turned back around.

"Nothing," she said softly.

Part 4 | Index | Part 6
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.