FanFic - Max/Liz
"Hidden Paths"
Part 34
by Mslayer713
Disclaimer: Don't own 'em.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
The ride back to the Crashdown was quiet and uncomfortable. The tension in the car was so thick; Max could've cut it with a knife. He flexed his hands on the steering wheel and shot her a glance from the corner of his eye. Liz was sitting with her hands in her lap, her gaze settling on the scenery going by. She was well aware of Max's glance, but chose to ignore it. She didn't want to be rude, but she was confused. How should she act around him now? She liked; more then liked him, and knew he liked her. But their parents were dating, and that would make them like brother and sister.

And what about Kyle, she thought. He factored into this too; he was her boyfriend. Granted, it was casual-at least she thought it was; what he thought, she wasn't sure. But he did seem to care for her and he treated her really well. And, except for all the sports she had to sit through, they got along well. But Kyle didn't seem to keep her interest. Not that Liz was the kind of girl to cheat, she would never do that, but she was restless with Kyle. He didn't seem to spark an interest in her, he was dull. Liz finally gave in and looked at Max. She didn't know that much about him; and that made him fascinating.

Liz gave a little laugh at that. Maria would kill me if she knew what I was thinking.

"What's so funny?" Max asked.

Liz sobered quick and shrugged. "Just thinking…I wonder if Alex's went into red alert yet."

Max looked at her then back at the road. "He seems to care a great deal for you."

Liz smiled. "Yeah…Alex is the best. He's totally there for me."

Max knew it was ridiculous, but he felt a stream of jealousy spread through him. "He seems to be."

Liz nodded. "I remember one time Joey Stubs started this rumor that I French kissed him and I thought Alex was gonna kill him. He was literally red with anger," she said.

Max understood how Alex had felt. He would've done the same thing. He probably would've killed the guy too. "You've known Alex a while?" he asked, trying to find out what he could. He felt like jerk; Max liked Alex, but if it came down to it, he would rather want Liz as a girlfriend then Alex as a friend.

"Yeah, 5th grade. Or well, actually 4th, but we didn't hang then. It wasn't until a year later that I actually noticed him; at least, that's what he says."

Max nodded and went back to driving. He knew he was being childish, but he liked Liz, a lot, and wanted to be with her, but it seemed like every time the coast got clear, another thing jumped right in their path.

"So…you've known Michael a while?" Liz asked.

"Oh, yeah. We were put into foster care about the same time," Max replied. He could feel his voice getting softer and wanted to change the subject. Talking about his past was always hard.

"You know, I was surprised when your dad said you guys went to school here," Liz admitted suddenly.

"Why?"

Liz shrugged. "I don't remember you. I mean, you or Isabel."

Max shrugged too and offered, "to tell you the truth, I don't really remember going to school here either." When Liz just looked at him, Max went on. "A lot of stuff from when I was young is fuzzy…it's like I try to look back on it, and my eyes can't focus, you know?"

Liz nodded. "That's normal. I know I had a first day of school and everything, but I don't remember it."

Max looked at her and smiled. "You too huh? Guess we're getting up there in age," he joked.

Liz smiled too. "Oh, yeah. 17 is just so up there."

***

Alex nearly jumped for joy when the door swung open and Liz walked with Max behind her.

"Are you ok?!"

Liz nodded and held up her hand. "I have to keep it bandaged for a month," she said dully. "Plus, I'm gonna be a little behind with my writing."

"You're journal will survive. If you want, I'll write in it for you."

Liz shot him a look and replied, "I don't think so."

"Where's Michael and Maria?" Isabel asked.

Max and Liz shared a smile, causing Alex to panic. "What? Did Maria kill him?"

"No…but Ms. DeLuca showed up and she offered them a ride back here," Max said with a grin.

"So, let me get this straight: Michael, Maria, and Ms. DeLuca are in one car together?" Isabel asked.

"Yep." Liz was also smiling.

"Oh…the scandal…" Alex said with nervousness. When they got here, it was gonna be bad.

***

"So…how long is Liz gonna be out of commission?"

Maria shrugged and went back to looking out of the window. "Not long."

"Ok," Ms. DeLuca said, flexing her muscles on the wheel. "So, Michael, how long have you two known each other?"

Maria stiffened and saw Michael shift in his seat. "Mom, um, Michael's lived here his whole life. So we've went to school together for quite a while." God, she hoped that would work.

"When did you guys start hanging out?"

"Mom-"

"It's ok."

Maria nearly jumped when Michael spoke. His voice was calm and soothing.

"So, how long?" Ms. DeLuca asked again.

Maria opened her mouth to answer but stopped. How long should she say?

"Little over a week, I guess. Right?" Michael said, gazing at her.

"Uh…yeah, I mean, that sounds about right." She looked back at Michael and tried to read his face, but it was completely emotionless.

"So, Michael, you're friends with Max? He seemed awful cozy with Liz," Ms DeLuca hinted, throwing a look at her daughter.

"Mom…leave it be," Maria mumbled, praying Michael would understand.

"What? I was just saying."

Maria wanted to scream, but instead pointed out the window. "Look! It's the Crashdown. I bet everyone's there. Stop!"

"Honey-"

"Mom, we wanna go. right, Michael?"

"Yeah, Crash sounds cool," Michael said, sitting up.

With a sigh, Ms. DeLuca pulled over for the two teens to get out. "Thanks mom," Maria replied, hopping out of the car; Michael was right behind her.

"It was nice to meet you Michael!"

Michael looked back at Ms. DeLuca and nodded. "Same here."

Maria waved once more and slammed the door shut, sighing. "God…she pushes everything!"

Michael shrugged and shot her a look. "She's kinda nosy."

Maria seemed to want to defend her mother, but finally agreed. "Yeah, she is." Together, they walked into the Crashdown to find the whole group sitting in a booth. Maria had to smile when she saw Max was right beside Liz. "Hey guys."

"Hey, how was the ride?" Isabel asked, grinning like a wacko.

"Shut-up," Michael mumbled, pulling up a chair and sitting on it backwards.

Maria waited to see if he was gonna grab her one, but when he didn't, she just stood. "So, Liz, what did your mom say?"

"She's on her way. Totally freaked, of course," Liz replied.

"So, how are you gonna do you assignments?" Alex asked Liz, giving her hand a once over.

Liz shrugged and slumped down in her seat. "I guess I'll have to write with my left."

"I'll help," Max said suddenly. "I mean, I can write for you."

"Thanks," Liz replied, looking him right in the eye.

Maria saw the look and smiled. "Yeah…you guys can spend some quality time together!"

When Max turned bright red and Liz looked down, the whole table had to cough back laughs.

"What's so funny?"

Maria nearly jumped when she heard Kyle's voice, and she saw Liz flinch in the booth. "Liz? What happened to your hand?!" Kyle asked, noting the bandaged palm.

"Oh, I cut it."

Maria saw how Max was now fascinated with the counter top and knew this needed some control. "Um, Max, Liz, are you guys ready to go get the stuff?"

"Stuff?" Max asked as Liz spoke up.

"Yes!" Max looked back at her and just stared.

"Remember?" Maria asked, trying to make Max understand.

"We were gonna go get the radio and c.d.'s from the back," Liz added. She started to push Max out of the booth.

"Right…the radio," Max said finally, standing up.

"Yeah, so we'll be right back," Liz added, walking toward the back with Maria, prompting Max to follow.

Maria nearly laughed when she heard Kyle exclaim, "what was that about?"

Part 33 | Index | Part 35
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.