FanFic - Max/Liz
"Happily Ever After"
Part 1
by Sardines
Disclaimer: The usual Roswell stuff, as well, there's part I took out of Sleepy Hollow. I have no creativity.
Summary: It's 3 years after Destiny. Liz is finshed her first year at university.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: I read alot of fanfic. Please take it as a compliment if I happened to use some of your ideas. Again, I have no creativity. Also, I haven't decided how this story will end, so if you have any ideas, don't hesitate to email me.
Liz couldn't help feeling depressed as she walked through the busy streets of New York, on her way to her hotel. Last night, on the plane ride from Boston, her currrent residence, to New York, where she was visiting Maria, she'd had a dream about Max...again. As if that was an unusual occurence.

Every time Liz thought about Max, her heart would skip a beat. She always wondered what he was doing, if he was happy, if he was thinking about her. Liz had always regretted leaving Max, to Tess, and his destiny. She knew that it had been the right choice, but she still regretted it.

After Max and Isabel's mother had told them about their destiny, Liz had kept true to her word, and stayed away from Max. It proved to be the hardest thing she'd ever done. It hurt so much when she would see Max, staring at her, a look of devastation on his face. But somehow she consoled herself with the thought that this was right, and Max might thank her some day.

The night before Liz was set to go to Boston, Max had come to see her. He'd begged her to reconsider, trying to explain that she was his destiny. As he spoke, Liz could see the tears welling up in his eyes. Her heart screamed at him how much she loved him, but only her heart. Before breaking down into tears herself, Liz managed to refuse him, again, and ran off. She'd never seen him since.

Once, she'd gone back to Roswell for Christmas, expecting him to be there, but was surprised to hear that he had left shortly after her, and hadn't been back to Roswell at all.

**************************************************************************

Trying to get her mind off Max, Liz turned to cross the street, in order to get to her hotel on the other side. About to cross, Liz stopped herself. She smelt...well....she smelt Max. That was ridiculous of course, Max didn't smell. But she knew he did. She couldn't describe it, but it smelt, sort of like home.

Without thinking, Liz turned herself in the direction of the hypnotic scent. Ordinarily Liz would have never done so, but something in the back of her mind urged her to continue. Liz walked a few feet, and finally came to a stop, in front of a dark alley.

"He was down here?"

Liz thought to herself.

She doubted he would be, but continued down the long alley.

As Liz came almost to the back of the alley, she saw a form in the shadows. Cautiously, Liz walked towards the form until she was just a few feet away from it. Slowly, she closed the gap between them, and as she looked at the figure, she stumbled back, and almost fell over.

It was Max.

Or a skeleton of the latter. Liz cringed as she took in the sight. Even in the shadows, Liz could see his sunken face. His eyes had large circles under them, and cheekbones stuck out. Liz looked to his bony hand which was on his side, covered in red.

Blood. Max was bleeding. Liz rushed to the wound, and Max looked up at her. It made her shiver.

Max's eyes used to look into her soul, and beyond. Now they were empty and glazed over.

Max stood slowly, and obviously painfully. His back was against the wall.

"I'm f-fine." he said, his words slighty slurred.

Regaining her composition, Liz grabbed him, and tried to get him to lean on her for support. He struggled for a moment, but gave up, and let her help him. She couldn't help wondering if he even recognized her.

Liz quickly took the bandanna tied in her hair, and pressed it to the wound. Max cringed and but his hand over it.

Slowly, they started walking back up to the street.

*****************************************************************************

Liz wasn't sure how they made it across the street and to her hotel. Many had stared at the two, but ironically, Liz was thankful nobody stopped to help. She wasn't sure how she'd explain that he couldn't go to the hospital.

As Liz and Max entered the hotel, a bellboy walked over to them. He looked worried when he saw Max's red shirt, but Liz quickly told him that he was just practicing for an acting gig he had the next day. It was lousy excuse, but it was all she could think of.

Liz eventually managed to get Max onto the elevator, and up to her room. As she unlocked the door, she could see Max leaing against the wall with his eyes closed. His breath was shallow, and dry. He looked up at her as she helped him through the door. She wondered what he was thinking.

Now inside her room, Liz eased Max onto the bed. His eyes slid closed, and Liz would have been worried if she hadn't been able to see the rise and fall of his chest. It was the only comforting thing about him.

Liz almost forgot Max's wound, as she stared at him. She might have, if not for all the blood. Liz quickly ran into the bathroom to find something for the wound, and was surprised to find a First Aid kit under the sink. She took out a couple bandages, and some gauze, and went back to see Max. She lifted up his shirt, and attempted to wipe away some of the blood with her bandana. Once she'd done all she could, she unwrapped the bandages and placed them on the cut. She then wrapped the gauze around his abdomen, securing it with a peice of tape.

After putting away the wrappers, Liz gazed down at Max. he had blood all over his shirt and pants. She paused for a moment, and then decided there was no use in him lying there with bloody clothes. She slowly took off his shirt, and choked back a sob. She could practically see every bone in his ribcage. It upset her much more than the cut ever could. Liz couldn't believe this was the same Max she knew and loved only a year ago. He seemed so empty.

Somewhere in the back of her mind, Liz knew that she had done this to him. This was her fault.

After a few minutes, Liz collected herself, took off Max's pants and went to the bathroom, to soak his clothes in warm water.

*********************************************************************************

It was after 8 pm, when Liz realized that she was supposed to be at Maria's for 6 o'clock. Maria must have been freaking. Liz was never late. She quickly dialed Maria's number. She picked up on the first ring.

"Where are you Liz?" Maria yelled into the phone, before Liz could even say a word.

"Why didn't you just call the hotel?" Liz asked, trying to sound casual.

"I forgot the number..but that's besides the point! You were supposed to be here 2 hours ago!" Maria said, exasperated.

Liz wasn't sure how to respond. She didn't want to lie to her friend, but she knew Maria would ask a lot of questions about Max.

"Um...Max is here, he got hurt, he's um sleeping now, and.. I hafta go, I'll call you when I know more. Bye." Liz said quickly before hanging up.

She felt bad about leaving Maria hanging there like that, but Liz really didn't want to go into the details right then and there, especially with Max lying on the bed a few feet away.

After staring at him for a few moments, Liz took a chair, placed beside the bed where Max lay, and sat down. There was nothing more she could do.

Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.