FanFic - Max/Liz
"Get In the Game"
Part 15
by FordOnBuffy44
Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with the writers, producers or cast of Roswell. I only wish I did.
Summary: Max's life begins to change more than Michael and Isabel would like as he becomes more and more frustrated with living in the background.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG
Authors Note: This is the follow up to my first story Not So Secret Admirer. You might want to read that one first although it's not absolutely necessary. Feedback Please!
Max dried his wet hair with a towel as he walked into his room from the bathroom, he glanced at the clock quickly. It was 6:40, he was due to meet Liz, Maria and Alex at the Crash in twenty minutes. As he pulled on his tan button down, neatling closing the cuffs and straightening and smoothing the wrinkles he thought back to Kyle's ultimatum. Even Kyle could recognize that there was something between Max and Liz. Why couldn't they? He walked into his sister's room.

"You gonna come?" he asked hopefully and Isabel just shrugged, seemingly busy as she applied makeup and searched through he closet. Max just sat down on the bed, a tired and frustrated expression on his face and Isabel just looked at him curiously.

"Max, it's not that big a deal if I -"

"No, it's not that..."Max dismissed quietly, "it's just this whole thing with..."

"-Liz," Isabel finished, "Look Max,"

"Kyle came up to me," Max suddenly sputtered and Isabel looked at him wide-eyed.

"What'd he say?" she asked urgently.

"He just...he told me to stay away from her - he doesn't want us being friends - I mean he thinks, he thinks we're together."

"What'd you say?"

"Nothing."

Isabel and Max made their way to Michael's in near silence. Max just kept his eyes on the road as he made his way to the trailer park to pick up Michael. The conflict with Kyle had been bothering him, but he didn't say anything.

"So are you going to do anything?" Isabel finally broke the silence. "I mean -"

"I don't know," Max said quickly, "I don't want to -" Max faltered, "I just..it's safer to back down."

"Max, if I've learned anything from you the past two weeks, it's not to back down. You know- not staying in the shadows," Max continued driving. "If anything that we've gone through the past weeks means anything...you'll stand up for yourself." Max glanced over towards his sister.

"What're you suggesting?" Max smiled, "I fight Kyle?"

"That you, 'get in the game' you know? Exactly what you said to us - don't sit back and passively watch. You tell Michael and I to go out and get involved and okay, we're taking a risk. We're going out...Michael, God do you even know what a big step this is for him?"

"I realize that."

"Do you? I mean - Max you want to be with her, that's what this whole thing was about - "

"It wasn't."

"It's what prompted it...you wanted to be with her." Max beeped the horn as he stopped the jeep in front of Michael's trailer. Isabel could even confront the issue. That made Kyle, Michael and Isabelle. Hell, even Maria and Alex now. So why couldn't he. Why couldn't Liz.

"I can't," he said cautiously.

"You have to stand up for yourself!" Isabel turned to her brother. Max, who always got beaten up in the sixth grade because he had refused to hit back. "You take this huge risk, you go join the basketball team and you can't even stick up for what you want!" Max was silent, "You can't back down from this, from him...I mean, who is he to control your life - to control Liz's life?"

"I don't blame him - I mean I have been hanging around her a lot."

"Stop that!" Isabelle said angrily, "stop sympathizing with him. You go out and tell us to get involved, to come out of our shells. Do the same for yourself! Michael's taking this huge gamble- both of us are. We're going out and making friends, like you said. Now go do what I know is the hardest thing for you." Max honked again as Michael failed to come out. Max failed to look at his sister. "Playing basketball is one thing, but sticking up for yourself, confronting for what you want," Isabelle paused for a moment. Max could hardly believe what Isabelle was advocating him to do. "That's something you've never done."

Part 14 | Index | Part 16
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.