FanFic - Max/Liz
"Get In the Game"
Part 12
by FordOnBuffy44
Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with the writers, producers or cast of Roswell. I only wish I did.
Summary: Max's life begins to change more than Michael and Isabel would like as he becomes more and more frustrated with living in the background.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG
Authors Note: This is the follow up to my first story Not So Secret Admirer. You might want to read that one first although it's not absolutely necessary. Feedback Please!
The time remaining until the start of the game drifted just shy of two minutes and as Max had been shooting for three minutes already and not made a shot yet, Kyle began to get worried. It was he who had suggested bringing Max onto the team.

When Rich Rundgen had broken his ankle during gym class fifth period, everyone had been devestated. Today was the big game of all big games. The rivalry to top all rivalries - the West Roswell Comets vs. the Irving Heights Cowboys. They battled each other in football, they battled each other in baseball and they battled each other in basketball. Kyle knew that if they wanted to beat the Cowboys today they couldn't simply bring a freshman up from JV. Hell, they needed a miracle. Irving Heights was going to be difficult enough to beat to begin with. And Kyle's mind immedietly went to Max.

The Seniors glared at Kyle though, as everyone of Max's shots bounced off the rim or off the backboard. Even Archie, who had played with Max countless times before, found it hard to stick up for Kyle's decision. Max was unable to concentrate and nothing was coming close to the basket. Suddenly he felt foolish, maybe he should have just said no to Kyle. Maybe it was a dangerous idea, exposing himself like this. His mind began to whirl again, like it always did. He thought about going back to his life in the shadows, where he was unnoticed and ignored. Then he looked up at the stands, at all the people up in the stands. And then his eyes rested on one and his shot sailed through the hoop.

An unhappy Isabel and disgruntled Michael returned to the stands and Liz couldn't help but be curious. She'd seen the confrontation they'd had with Max down on the sideline and had been intrigued. They'd both seemed so irate at Max's presence in a basketball uniform and it had seemed as if Max was frustrated by them.

"What was that about?" Maria whispered to Liz as the both Michael and Isabel returned to the stands with irate looks on their faces. The two plopped down next to Maria and whispered in hushed tones to one another. By the time the buzzer sounded, signalling the start of the game they both appeared to have calmed down a bit. Michael turned his attention to the game and as the starting five walked onto the court and Max stayed on the bench with the three other reserves, he threw up his arms.

"Are you kidding me?? All this and he's not even playing!" Michael yelled and Isabel just poked him. "Michael.." she mumbled, a bit embarrassed by his outburst.

"No - you've gotta be kidding, he's not just gonna -" "He's the first man off the bench - relax!!" Maria suddenly interjected, cutting into the conversation and Isabel, Michael, Alex and Liz just stared at her, surprised by her newfound basketball knowledge. "What? What? I heard Kyle talking to him!" she defended. "He's the sixth man - don't worry. He'll play."

The scoreboard read 14-2 after only five minutes had gone by. The Comets were getting drilled and many of the fans in the stand had already begun to leave. Another three points were added to the board and Michael stood up.

"That's it, I'm goin' home," he stated flatly.

"Michael.." Isabel groaned, "just stay." "First man off the bench, huh?" Michael glared over at Maria and she shot him a look right back. Just as the words came out of his mouth, the coach tapped Max on the back and he pulled off the shiny blue and gold warmups and left the three other reserve players on the bench. Liz smiled as she watched him clerk in at the scorer's table and she craned her neck to see him better. At the next stoppage of play, Max jogged onto the court, replacing the starting Senior point guard DJ Smith. "Now checking into the game for West Roswell, number fifteen Max Evans," the announcement sounded routinely, and Isabel and Liz both erupted, standing up from their seats.

"Alright Max!! Let's go Max!" they cheered, and Max seemed a bit embarrassed down on the court at the sudden applause. Liz looked over at Isabelle awkwardly as they both sat back down, eyeing each other warily. Liz knew Isabelle didn't like her. She'd never even spoken to her, but she'd seen the way that Isabel looked at her when she was with her brother. Liz quietly sat back down and Isabel glanced towards her and gave the faintest makings of a smile. They looked down on the court, to a nervous Max, taking his position in the game, smiling at the knowledge that at least they had one thing in common. Michael attempted not to look interested, but Isabel knew he was. If he hadn't been at all interested he would have left. So he sat like he had been before, slouched against the bleacher behind him attempting to look disinterested and detached. But he wasn't fooling anybody.

Max stepped into the starting point guard position, his hands sweating and his brow glistening. He looked to the other guard, a player he'd never played with before. Mack Bradley was the leading point-man on the West Roswell squad and as the referee handed Mack the ball behind the baseline Max wiped his hands nervously on his shorts.

"Relax Max!" Archie called to the uneasy sophomore, for the first time calling him by his first name and not simply 'Evans'. "Just pretend like we're on the court, after school," the experienced Senior shouted words of encouragement from his position at center.

"You ready, man?" Mack inquired casually and as Max glanced up at Liz in the stands and nodded his head quickly Mack passed him the ball. Max dribbled up the court a few steps and passed the ball back to Mack. Taking it across halfcourt, Mack, acting as pointman and team leader on the court, looked around for the developing play. He'd been told about Max. He'd been told about his amazing three-point shot, his infallible free throws, his spectacular passes, his drive to the net. Not only by Kyle, but by Archie too, by the injured Rich resting on the bench, by Paulie McKinley - resentful of Max's advancement and his spot on the bench. It seemed almost impossible that all of that came out of the quiet, dark-haired sophomore standing across from him. If Max was so good how come he hadn't seen him play before? Taking a few cut backs and looking towards a heavily covered Kyle, Mack passed the ball to Max, who was clear for a three. Max hesitated with the ball and threaded a pass through the center to Archie. Failing to convert the pass, the Cowboys seized the rebound and immedietly looked for the outlet pass. The very next play Mack again gave the ball to Max, who though not as open for the shot as last time, opted to pass to Kyle. Kyle passed the ball back to him and Mack returned the ball to Max.

"Take the shot, Max!" Kyle yelled as he moved to get open, but again Max gave the ball to Mack. With the shot clock now running down Mack was forced to take the shot, that bounced off the backboard and into the hands of the Cowboys. On the Comets next position Mack again looked towards Max for the play. Max dribbled towards the key, looking for the open pass. By now Archie, Kyle and Tim no longer wanted to be open - they wanted Max to take the shot.

"Let's go Comets!!" he recognized Liz's voice sound from the stands.

"Shoot it, Max," Isabel mumbled softly to herself. She'd seen Max play. For the past three weeks she'd seen him play. Outside in the driveway, rain or shine. She knew Max could shoot. He'd gone ten minutes at a time without missing a shot and while she didn't know what had sparked the change in her brother, what had motivated the sudden concentration on athletics, and the concentration on being involved, she knew that she had to accept it. She had to accept whatever had suddenly made him unable to remain in the shadows. Then she looked towards her right, towards Liz, staring intently at Max - her eyes focused on him and only him, and then her eyes shifted back to Max, who she knew out of his peripheral vision was returning the gaze. "Shoot it, Max!!" she yelled loudly and, with the enouragement from his sister ringing in his ears, Max released the ball from his hands. The ball swept picturesquely through the net and the Comets had five points.

Part 11 | Index | Part 13
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.