FanFic - Max/Liz
"Fight the Break of Dawn"
Part 3
by Ash
Disclaimer: All glory goes to Melinda Metz and the makers of the show Roswell for giving us these brilliant characters. All bow before TPTB! I'm just borrowing them to flesh out some ideas that won't leave my head! No infringement intended!
Summary: Two years after Tess is finally out of their lives, the six move on with life after graduation. But are alien relationships ever going to be simple? More danger is approaching as they move toward learning more about their origins.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: This is an alternate reality to WB's Roswell. My characters are in line with the show up through "Sexual Healing" and then we deviate into "Captivated by Darkness", the prequel for this story. My storyline doesn't follow the show at all from there, so try not to be confused! Title from the song "Save Tonight" by Eagle Eye Cherry Dedication: to Angie, webmistress for ³The Max and Liz Project", who is an awesome writer and a great encouragement to me.
The wind blew around them playfully, catching Liz's hair and making it dance around her face. Max watched her in silently take in the view, trying to swallow the lump in his throat.

Did she feel time stopping, as he did?

He felt as if his whole life had been preparation for this moment.

The pressure building inside him was almost consuming.

He couldn't wait any longer.

Taking a deep breath, he reached in his pocket and pulled out a creased piece of paper with trembling hands.

He opened it and began to read before she looked his way.

******

Liz was lost in the splendor of the world around her as she had been for several minutes, the panoramic view spread at her feet. A look of awe had settled on her face, but it faded as Max began to speak beside her.

The wind whipped the words away quickly, but each one found its way to her heart as she finally turned to him.

"Liz, I know no one's destiny. But my heart tells me that you and I are meant to be together. It is this unshakable knowledge that has slowly grown over me, coloring every decision I have made over the past two years. I cannot separate myself from you any longer. We are who we are, and we belong together."

Max risked a look in her direction, and found himself drawn to her eyes as always. But there was something in them that stopped him cold.

******

Liz knew that in a moment, she would soon hear the words she had always longed to hear from him.

And she would give the response that would bind their destinies together forever, there was no question about that.

But a flash of awareness had come...

This moment held more than just the future of her heart; it held the future of her life as well.

Something had been waiting for this moment with her, savoring the decision ahead.

It was warning her of the price to be paid... her very life.

Tears welled up in her eyes as she felt the growing tension between the fear of death that had grabbed her heart and the joy of the moment.

Somehow, with each word, Max was drawing her closer to the end of Liz Parker.

******

Panic. There was panic in her eyes.

Max dropped the letter to the ground and grabbed Liz by the arms.

"Liz, what is it," he asked her huskily.

Her glance slid from his worried eyes to the quickly forgotten letter on the ground. The wind caught it, flipping it end over end, closer and closer to the edge.

Liz was gripped with the sudden knowledge that her fear was letting the moment pass by.

It was too important.

She ducked under Max's arms and ran to the edge, grabbing for the sheet of paper.

Max let out a shout and went after her.

Liz's fingers closed around the letter at the same instant that she realized she was losing her balance. Her mouth opened in a cry of fear, but Max¹s hand was already on her arm, pulling her back and into his arms as he knelt by the edge.

His harsh breathing told her how close she had come to falling off.

But she pushed the knowledge away and stood, pulling Max to his feet.

"Read," she commanded him, pushing the letter in his hands.

Max looked at her, dumbfounded.

"Liz, I... you looked scared, are you sure-"

"Yes. I know," Liz looked down for a moment, disgusted with herself.

Get a grip, Liz.

She looked back up at him with every bit of love and trust in her eyes.

"Please, keep reading."

Max hesitated, then let his eyes fall to the paper in front of him.

******

Liz felt the build-up of tension immediately. As if the very air held thousands of people watching, hanging on Max¹s every word. As if their very lives hung in the balance of the event unfolding before her.

In the distance, thunder rolled across the sky.

Liz shook her head, trying to clear her mind and pay attention.

"I love you and I have loved you from the first moment I saw you," Max whispered.

Liz smiled tearfully, biting her lip to keep from crying out.

He had never said those three words before, never allowed himself to imply the commitment that came with them.

The moment was coming...

A gust of wind whipped around them and a bird cried out overhead.

Liz had another flash of panic. Her life would be required of her.

But Max glanced up at her and she took strength from the love she saw in his eyes.

He started to read again, but stopped and dropped his hands down to his side. He looked at the ground below and slowly lowered down on one knee.

Another crack of thunder.

Liz's breath caught in her throat.

Max's beautiful hazel eyes worshipped her as he looked up and whispered the words, "Liz Parker, I love you. Will you marry me?"

Liz shook her head in amazement at the rush of feelings she felt.

The world fell silent around them.

Part of Liz worried over this, but the fear was completely overcome by her humble desire to be worthy of the love and devotion shining in Max's face.

She fell on her knees in front of him, taking his hand gently in her own.

"If you want me," she whispered, finally meeting his eyes again. "I love you. I don't care what the future brings, I have to be with you."

The throbbing in her temple ceased and she took a deep breath.

The wind swept powerfully around them as Max pulled Liz into an embrace.

He looked down and found Liz's eyes locked on his own as he drew a small black box out of his pocket.

He opened the box and turned it so Liz could see the diamond ring nestled there.

It sparkled in the moonlight, but its radiance was quickly blurred by the onset of her tears.

Max smiled and quickly pulled it out of the box.

Taking her hand gently in his own, he slid it on her finger.

Their eyes met briefly, then their lips.

Then their destinies.

TBC...

Part 2 | Index | Part 4
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.