FanFic - Max/Liz
"Fading into Twilight"
Part 21
by Ash
Disclaimer: It’s not me, really. It’s all them: Melinda Metz (the creator of such amazing characters), Jason Katims (the perpetrator of such a lovely t.v. show with those same main characters), and the actors who flesh them out for us so wonderfully. Please take no offense at my offering; this is just a tribute, not a theft. :0))
Summary: Tess is gone. Doug is gone. Both aliens brought more harm and fear than good. But there is more out there “than is dreamt of” in their philosophy. More to discover, more to fear. More danger approaches as they move toward learning about their origins, their purpose.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: This is an alternate reality to WB's Roswell. My characters are in line with the show up through "Sexual Healing" and then we deviate into "Captivated by Darkness", and two years later, we see the group in “Fight the Break of Dawn,“ the prequel for this story. My storyline doesn't follow the show at all after Sexual Healing: so remember, Topolski never returned, Max was never tortured, Nasedo never told them they were part human and the Mom-0-Gram never happened. Try and bend your mind around that!! Dedication: to Irene, Joey, Miranda and Bella, who are such encouragements to me; you make it worth while-- really!!!
Alex helped Isabel into bed and pulled the covers up around her. Her brown eyes were open wide in the semi-darkness. “I’ll be right back,” he promised and watched her nod hesitantly. She didn’t even feel safe here, he could tell. He leaned over and kissed her forehead and gave her an encouraging smile. “Don’t move.”

Then he headed out into the hallway and back down to the den where Mr. and Mrs. Evans were watching late night t.v. Well, actually, Mr. Evans was snoring, not watching, and sounded like he might be taking off the runway soon.

“Mrs. Evans,“ he said quietly, not wanting to take her by surprise.

She jumped slightly in her chair and then smiled. “Alex, what is it? Did Isabel get in bed alright?”

“Yeah, she’s in bed,” Alex felt a slight blush come on, but he just ignored it and tried to look as if putting Isabel in bed didn’t cause his mind to go to rather steamy scenarios. It wasn’t something he did all the time, but tonight Isabel had looked so ragged out...

“I just wanted to ask you for a favor... for Isabel, really.” He looked down while Mrs. Evans considered his words.

“Okay,” her voice was encouraging and non-judgmental.

Typical lawyer.

“Isabel is a little scared tonight, just the whole alien thing,” Alex trailed off, knowing that Max and Izzy hadn’t told their parents about the hunters. “And I was wondering if I could maybe sleep on her floor tonight? It wouldn’t lead to anything because, well, it can‘t.” His raised eyebrows indicated what he couldn’t say without complete embarrassment. He and Izzy’s physical relationship had great accountability in the face that that were biologically incompatible.

And the Evans knew that.

“Okay,” Mrs. Evans said slowly. “I’m a little... hesitant to do it as a general rule Alex, but Isabel did look on edge tonight... and well, I understand. The wedding has put a lot of stress on everyone.”

“The wedding, right,” Alex jumped on the first available excuse in true mega-dork fashion.

Mrs. Evans stood to her feet and eyed him for a moment more. “You can borrow Max’s pajamas-”

“No need, I’ll just... keep my clothes on,” he interrupted with an embarrassed grin and started to slide back down the hallway. “Thanks, Mrs. Evans. I’ll- I’ll see you in the morning.”

“Alex, why don’t you at least let me get you a sleeping bag and a toothbrush from the closet, okay?” And she passed him to go down the hall.

Alex nodded in the half-dark, thinking for the first and maybe last time that incompatibility actually had its rewards.

******

Michael rubbed his face jerkily and kept pacing. He knew that Maria was waiting for some kind of explanation from him, but he just couldn’t even find the words to express what he was feeling. He had sisters, other than Liz, real sisters who were both missing. He didn’t even know them, but he felt the weight of their lives as if they were his responsibility.

Hell, they were. He had waited his whole life to find his family and he wouldn’t turn his back on them when they needed him the most, even though he couldn’t remember them at all.

From what Justin said, his past was just a repressed memory. And Michael believed him because of the flash. Justin hadn’t seemed familiar at all when he first met him, but when they had connected he‘d seen something... the two of them as young boys, fighting over a strange globe. It was a memory that had been locked deep inside of him and Justin had brought it out.

Michael’s mind raced. Maybe if they connected again, he could see more, see his sisters. He had to find them.

Michael shook his head. Kate’s disappearance was horrific. She could be anywhere, and from what Justin said, it sounded like the FBI or some professional organization like that had taken her. Anyone else would have been messy, leaving clues or ransom notes, something.

The bile rose in Michael’s throat. If the FBI had her... Kate would be living his worst nightmare, the experiments, the torture-

“Michael,” Maria said loudly. Michael stopped and stared at her. She looked at him with evident frustration. “Are you just going to pace all night?”

Michael felt his emotions crowding in on him until they just took over his mouth. “Yeah. I am. I’m going to pace until I can figure out why in the hell my whole family was ripped- to pieces- and why- why-”

To his horror, he was breaking down as he talked, unable to even finish his sentence. Maria was there in an instant, her small hands wrapped around his heaving shoulders. Tears were on his face. She was looking up at him, but all he could think about was the family he had never seen. How had they gotten separated? Why? And how was he going to find them?

He felt Maria lead him over to the couch. He found himself lying down with his head in her lap. With a shuddering sob, he reached around her small waist to bury his head in her stomach. She ran her hands through his hair and said soothing, stupid things that made him feel better for some reason. It was just that she cared. Enough to ask. Enough to stay. And Michael cried against her for a while, letting his fierce emotions run their course.

After a companionable silence, Maria said quietly, “Liz must be thinking you’re a basketcase right now. I’m surprised she isn’t here checking on you.”

“Oh... she’s been... blocking me,” Michael said with sudden relief at the rememberance. Maybe that’s why he’d allowed himself to break down totally. No running Liz commentary.

“Wait, wait, wait,” Michael could hear the sudden grin in Maria’s voice. “She’s blocking you and we’re just talking? Perish the thought, spaceboy! Get your rumpus off the couch and lay one on me!”

Michael pushed himself to his feet and then reached a hand out to her. “Just tell me where you want it,” he smirked in a still husky voice as she put her hand in his. Then he pulled her to him, suddenly remembering that he had a future family to take care of as well. “I love you, Maria Leah Deluca.”

She sighed against him. “I love you. And I think that I need several kisses in various places. Shall we start at the top of the list?”

“How about here,” he asked as his lips found hers, not one for messing around. She smiled against his lips. And he immediately set about getting a completely different reaction with his second kiss.

******

After a restless night of trying not to think about Max’s seductive “gift“, Liz had gotten up early to run around town. She figured it would be the easiest way to survive the remaining Maxless hours before the wedding rehearsal.

So she confirmed the rental stuff, met one last time with the florist and took another trip to the post office for stamps. Amazingly enough, she had gotten it all done in an hour and was back at her room, where the final bridesmaid dress fitting was to be held.

Her room was hardly recognizable as the once spic-and-span target of many jokes among her friends. It was a disaster area now, with wedding gifts, boxes to go to the new apartment, suitcases and wedding finery covering every spare inch.

It was hard for Liz to think straight with all the clutter, but she tried to focus on the fitting. It wouldn’t have been done so close to the wedding, but Joey’s inclusion in the wedding party had been such a last-minute thing and they just decided to put off the final fitting for everyone until her dress was ready.

The doorbell rang and Liz walked calmly to the door, trying to keep the bubble of excitement from reducing her to a twelve-year-old giggler again. Isabel, Maria and Joey were there all together, making Liz pause momentarily. What had they been doing together? But she just smiled and let them in.

Maria slipped her arm through hers. “So, what happened last night? Did Max take you straight home, or was there a little stop off on the way? ‘Cause I happen to know that a little blockage was going on and I think I know why.“

Liz blushed, “Yeah, Max wanted to give me his wedding present.“

“Uh-huh,“ Maria nodded, raising her eyebrows. “And I thought you guys were supposed to be waiting until the honeymoon for that...“

“Maria,“ Liz put as much outrage into her voice as she could manage. “You know we didn’t- I mean, Joey and Justin were in the car with us!“

“Just kidding, chica,“ Maria laughed and pulled her along to her room. “So what did Max give you?“

“Yeah, Liz,“ Joey chimed in as they reached the door. “I want to see it, too. Max wouldn’t show me.”

Isabel just laughed and gave Joey a sideways hug. Liz was struck by just how easily they’d taken to each other. It was as though they had grown up together.

But Joey was so much like Max... maybe that made it easier somehow.

“It’s over here,” she managed to keep her face from flaming as she touched the box. Maria grabbed it from her hands and Isabel cackled. It was good to see Isabel smile, because the ever-present fear of her alien hunter- No, Liz reminded herself. Today is not the day to be worrying about that stuff. Today I only think about the wedding. No hunters. No aliens, except a certain hunky one who’s about to become my beloved. And no FBI fears, either.

“It’s pretty, Liz. Max has good, very conservative taste,” Maria said with a smile. Obviously, she had been hoping for something more racy. But it had been plenty racy and there was no way Liz was going to tell Maria about that part. No way.

“All right, everyone, let’s see the masterpieces in action,” Mrs. Parker enthused as she appeared at the bedroom door, bringing the dresses and the seamstress with her.

Liz stared at her Mom. Since when did dresses make her Mom excited? She watched her Mom chat with Joey and hold the dress up to her tall, thin frame. Okay, Liz, give her a break. She’s just trying to be supportive of the wedding.

So Liz smiled and excused herself to go get the girls some lemonade and sandwiches. When she came back, everyone was dressed and turning this way and that, looking in the mirror and pointing out the nice detailing on the dresses.

Liz had refused to get them cookie-cutter dresses made, opting instead for individual patterns that suited each girl the best. Each was made out of creamy light pink silk satin.

Maria’s dress had three-quarter length ruffled sleeves and a square neckline. The long skirt had slits up both sides, showing quite a bit of leg. The color was so light and creamy, it set off her exquisite alabaster skin and bright blue eyes.

“Maria, that looks perfect on you,” Liz said honestly. Michael was going to die.

*Yeah, sounds like it.*

Stop eavesdropping or I’ll block you again.

*Oh no, no* Michael’s thoughts were dripping with sarcasm. *Don’t block me again. Not another few hours of peace and quiet.*

Yeah, yeah. Go away.

Isabel’s dress was strapless and form-fitting. The top of the bodice had a band made of darker pink satin that emphasized her perfect decollete, which included the ample cleavage that would surely be the focal point of every male’s attention in the room. Well, almost every male, Liz reminded herself with satisfaction. The most important male in the room is all mine!

Isabel’s dress had one slit up the back to just above her knee. With her hair done up, she would be stunning.

“Alex is going to absolutely melt,” Liz smiled at Isabel.

“Well, what do you think,” Sandra, the seamstress backed away from Joey and everyone turned to look.

“Wow,” Maria said with wide eyes.

Liz couldn’t agree more. She hadn’t been sure that an empire waist would look good on Joey, but it couldn’t be more perfect. The cup sleeves and gathers across the top of the bodice had an innocence that somehow fit Joey to a “T.” Except for her name, of course.

Isabel must have thought the same thing. “I just can’t look at you in that dress and call you ‘Joey.’ Is that a nickname for ‘Josephine?’”

Joey shifted her weight and looked off in embarrassment. “No, it’s short for Joelle. I didn’t exactly have friends who were up on French pronunciation, and it was tiring having to correct everyone who called me ‘Joel.’”

“Joelle,” Liz said with a smile. “That’s nice.”

Joey met her eyes steadily. “Thanks.”

“Oh, that’s the phone, girls,” Mrs. Parker walked out and down the hallway.

“So, Joey, do you prefer your nickname,” Maria said as she began taking her dress back off.

“Um... I guess I’m more used to it,” she admitted, grimacing and bending down to rub at her ankle. “There’s still pins in this thing.”

“Oh, right,” Sandra admitted. “I do the hem last, after the waist and bodice fit right. But it looks fine, if those are the shoes you will be wearing.”

Joey looked down at the new ivory pumps and sighed. “How am I supposed to walk down the aisle in these things?”

Maria laughed. “Ask Liz to show you. She can run the fifty meter dash in four-inch heels!”

“Ha ha,” Liz said sarcastically. But she got up and went over to Joey anyway, not wanting to dismiss it if she really wanted help.

******

Isabel yawned and sat down on the bed, still in her dress and heels. She didn’t need pointers. Not that it was the most comfortable thing in the world for her to wear-

She stopped mid-thought and leaned toward the door. Something clicked in her mind and she stood while the other girls were talking. Going out in the hallway, she could hear Mrs. Parker’s voice more clearly now and Isabel’s mind was racing.

She was positive she had heard the name “Larry” as clear as a bell. Now Mrs. Parker was quiet, listening to the other end. Isabel crept up to the bedroom door and held her breath waiting for the next words...

“I’m telling you I was wrong,” Mrs. Parker whispered. “He’s proven it to me. He’s completely human, Larry. Completely human.” Isabel sank back against the wall in relief. “I don’t know why. But they were wrong. I... was wrong. Don‘t call me again. I have nothing left to say to you.” There was a small click as the phone was set on the cradle.

Isabel quietly walked back down the hallway, savoring the small victory for their side. Or really, a large victory. Mrs. Parker had come through. Isabel grinned. Max was going to be ecstatic.

Part 20 | Index | Part 22
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.