Fanfic - Max/Liz
"Destined to be Forever"
Part 9
by Phoebe James
Disclaimer: I don't own Roswell or any of the characters...if I did, boy would I be lucky!!
Summary: A few days after EOTW Liz is feeling horrible about the things she did to Max. Maria feels her friend's pain and tells Max the truth!
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Max couldn't fall asleep. He was restless. All he could think about was Liz. *Is she okay? What is she doing? What is she thinking? Does she know I love her? * Max just couldn't fall asleep. Too many things were floating around. Max had way too much to think about.

He couldn't take not knowing how Liz was. He decided he had to go dream walking until he found Liz. (A/N: I don't know if Max can dream walk on the show, but he can in the books, so that's what I'm going on here...also, before when I gave the impression that only Isabel could dreamwalk, I meant that her dreamwalking skills were better than everyone else's because she did it more often.)

As Max entered the dream plane he saw all the orbs, he heard them. He could see the orbs of people from school, his parents, and his teachers. Max searched for Liz's orb among the many that were there. He found it. He was in. Liz was dreaming of a huge field full of flowers...there were mountains, streams and forest surrounding her. Max entered the dream. He couldn't see Liz anywhere. Then Max felt something behind him.

He saw Liz. Suddenly the field disappeared and Max and Liz were in Liz's cell. She told him where she was. 'I'm in a small desert town, called Barba. There is a large rock formation about 200 miles from where my cell is. It should look like an old worn down shack from the outside. There is a road that will lead you right to it. Max, please help me.'

'It's gonna be okay Liz, I'll save you, I promise. I'll get you back.'

'They will be ready for you Max. They could hurt you. Be careful Max.'

'I will Liz. I love you.' The dream started to fade and Max could hear Liz's whisper before he left.

'Please help me Max...'

Max was amazed. He hadn't expected Liz to know where she was. He had to start looking for her immediately. Then Max realized it was only two o'clock in the morning. No one would appreciate being woken up at that hour. Max would just have to wait until morning.

LIZ'S CELL

Liz woke up from her dream. This time Max had come. She was so happy. They were coming! They were going to save her! Nicholas would never have the granilith. Liz couldn't believe her luck. And Max, what had he said?

She knew he had said something important, but she didn't know what. *Oh Max. I love you so much. Please forgive me. * She thought. *Why should he forgive me? I accused him of cheating on me, with Tess. I know he'd never do that. God Max, why do these things only happen to us? * Liz was ashamed of what she had done. She couldn't wait until she could see Max again and hold him in her arms. God she missed that! She just had to wait. *Only a little more time left, * she coached herself. *You'll be out of here soon, just be patient...*

AT THE CRASHDOWN

"Why are we here Max? Is there news about Liz?" Alex asked as soon as Max walked through the door.

"Yes, there's news. I went dream walking last night and I found Liz. I know where she is."

"OMG!" Maria exclaimed. She was so excited, and relieved and happy. She threw her arms around Max.

"Thank you." she whispered. Michael looked at Max with a hint of jealousy in his eyes. Max smiled at him.

Maria couldn't control her giddiness as she grabbed Michael's hand and squeezed with all her might. She looked up at him and gave him her best 'Maria loves you' smile. Michael smiled back.

"Well, where is she?" Alex asked Max.

"She said she's in a small desert town called Barba. She also told me that there was a large rock formation about 200 feet from the shack where she's being kept. There should be a road leading right to it." Max replied.

"Well let's go!" Alex shouted.

"Yeah, Me, Isabel and Alex in one car, Michael, Maria, and Kyle in the other."

"Got it, let's go." Michael repeated.

They all headed out to their pre-assigned vehicles and left the Crashdown parking lot.

ON THE ROAD

"So Max, did Liz tell you how she found out where she was?" Isabel asked him. "Cus last time I talked to her she had no idea."

"No, she didn't say." Max told her. The two cars had reached the sign that said:

YOU ARE NOW IN BARBA, NEW MEXICO. PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY!

There were two roads from there on.

"What now Maxwell?" Michael asked.

"You take right, we'll take left." Max replied.

"See ya!" Maria yelled as the car sped away. Max and the others in the jeep were speeding down a lonely desert road, looking for any sign of a rock formation.

"Hey do you see that Max? Do you think that's what Liz was talking about?" Alex asked, pointing out into the desert to what looked like a small mountain.

"Maybe." Max said. The car sped up to reach where Alex had been pointing and past it. Sure enough, in the distance Max could see a small shack, the shack where Liz was being held. Max turned around and parked the jeep behind the rock formation. He called Michael and told them where they were. Michael said he'd be there as soon as he could. With that Max, Isabel and Alex started towards the shack.

When they finally reached the front door, Max expected someone to be on guard, or at least for the door to be locked, but it wasn't. Max was suspicious as to why this was, but he was also happy that so far it had been easy. Max, Isabel and Alex walked in single file down a long corridor. There were several doors in the corridor, and Max could tell that this place was only meant to look like a small shack on the outside, but really it was huge. Max told Isabel and Alex to stick together and go exploring. He told them, to take one half of the corridor while he took the other. Max opened the first door. There was nothing there. No doors, no furniture, nothing. Max shut the door. He moved on to the next door. Again, the same. He did this at least five times, then he came to an office. He saw a desk and a computer, and lots of filing cabinets. Max entered the room and began looking through the files. He came across a file that read: GUERIN, MICHAEL

Startled, Max opened the file. Tons of pictures fell out. Pictures of school, the Crashdown, Maria, Liz, him...everything. Max was amazed. He read the papers about Michael, it told about his foster homes, and his records. Nothing about the fact that Michael was an alien. Max closed the file and began searching some more. He found tapes of telephone conversations. Max couldn't believe what he was seeing. They had Liz's conversations on tape, Isabel's, even his. Max was flipping through the other files when he came to one labeled: BOYLE, MAGDALENE

He opened it and saw all kinds of files and hand written reports about killings, and powers, and Antar. *My home planet.* Max thought. He was about to sit down and start reading through the file when he heard an ear-piercing scream.

* Isabel! * He thought. He ran down the corridor, searching for his sister. He found her with Alex. Isabel was crying her eyes out and Alex was comforting her. Alex pointed to one of the doors and looked at him as if to say 'go in there.' Max opened the door and saw what looked like an operating table. On the table there was a body, and over the body there was a sheet. Max's heart dropped. *This isn't happening, * he thought. *No! This isn't possible! Not now! Please, oh God! * Max was tormented by thoughts that Liz was under that sheet. He knew he had to look. He walked over to the table and lifted the sheet. A sigh of relief filled him, but he immediately felt guilty. It was Tess.

Isabel's dream had been right. Tess was dead, and there was nothing they could do to bring her back. Max covered her back up and walked out of the room.

"Are you okay Isabel?" Max asked her.

"Yeah, I'm fine, just a little upset." Isabel replied.

"I'll be okay, keep looking."

"I know you two were friends, sort of. I'm sorry."

"Yeah, me too." Isabel replied.

"Are you sure you're okay Iz?" He asked.

"We'll be fine." Alex answered. Max walked back down the corridor and started opening more doors. Finally he reached a room with another corridor. This corridor, however, was made of dirt, and rock. He walked down the corridor and came to a large opening at the end. He looked around and realized he had been there before, with Liz. This was where she was, the dream...

"Liz? Liz where are you?" Max shouted.

"Over here Max." Liz's weak voice answered. Max turned around and saw her. She looked so tired, and weak.

"Are you okay?" He asked her.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I just need to get out of here."

"I'll get you out." Max said. Then he started looking for something to pry the bars with.

"Max?" Liz asked.

"What?"

"The keys are on the hook on the back of the door."

"Oh. Thanks." Max said, sheepishly. He got the keys and unlocked the cell. Liz came out and threw her arms around him.

"God Max, I missed you so much."

"I missed you too Liz. Are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm sure."

"She's sure know, but she won't be fine for long, my King." Katswana said, stepping out from the shadows. "Did you really think I'd make it that easy?" she asked.

"What do you want Katswana?" Max asked.

"You know what I want. I want the granilith." she said, "Or your little friend here dies. See that bracelet on her arm? One push of this button and..." Katswana told them. Liz looked down at her arm. How could she have not noticed the bracelet?

"Don't do it Max, don't tell her."

"Liz, I have to. I can't let you get hurt." Max said.

"Oh, how sweet. Can we get on with it please? Where is the granilith?" Katswana asked. Liz looked at the bracelet again. She tried desperately to take it off her hand. She pulled and stretched it. It wouldn't come off.

"Don't Max, please!" Liz begged. When Liz said that Katswana sent out a bit of power to the bracelet. The pain sent Liz to her knees.

"Liz!" Max exclaimed. "I can't let her do this to you!"

"Max, be strong..." Liz choked out. She was still working on the bracelet. Katswana walked over to Max. Max moved into a position so that Katswana was in the middle of Max and Liz.

"So, Max, that is your human name?"

"Yeah."

"Where is the granilith Max? Or do you really want to watch your girlfriend suffer and die? Do you really want to hear the screams from her friends, when they see her? What's it gonna be, oh my King?" Katswana asked. While Max and Katswana were talking Liz had succeeded in getting the bracelet off. She opened it and slipped it carefully around Katswana's ankle. Max, seeing what Liz had done, told Katswana she'd never find the granilith with his help.

"Fine oh my King, if that's how you want it..." Katswana said, and pressed the button. It all happened very quickly, Katswana fell to the ground, pulling Liz with her. Max was too shocked to do anything but watch what happened next.

Liz was overwhelmed and surprised when Katswana pulled her down. She was so surprised she didn't think to get up. Before she knew it, they were connected. Liz could feel Katswana dying. She could feel all the power flowing out of her. Then she felt the last moment of life in Katswana leave her. Katswana died, and Liz collapsed next to her.

"Liz!" Max screamed. "No!"

Part 8 | Index | Part 10
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.