FanFic - Max/Liz
"Darkest Days"
Part 56
by Ash
Disclaimer: I don’t own any of the original characters from “Roswell.“ They belong to Melinda Metz and Jason Katims and the wonderful people at WB. I have invented a slew of characters to go with ‘em, though and I hope the originals aren’t too insulted to have them mix and mingle and perhaps fall in love here or there.
Summary: This has become an alternate universe over the course of the other three stories. It was in line with the show through “Sexual Healing” and then my own version of Tess hit the atmosphere in “Captivated by Darkness.“ Two years later, we picked up the story and began the mythology with “Fight the Break of Dawn,“ where Liz was transformed and they met Christopher in L.A. Next came “Fading Into Twilight” which was NOT a wedding fic, but did contain the ill-fated nuptials which led our characters to this point. Now, in my AU, remember that I diverge from the show and Sheriff Valenti is still an unknown quantity, Pierce doesn’t exist, my Tess is very dead (and deservedly so) and the Evans and Mrs. Parker know the truth about the aliens.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Dedication: To Sheeijan and Abs, both of whom are excellent ‘backers and obsessors. Just a handy-dandy pronunciation guide for one of the more difficult alien names, since it might bug ya’ if you don’t get it right. Joey’s alien name, Millamalinka, is pronounced “Mee-ya-ma-link-a”, sort of a French pronunciation in the first part of the name. So it’s not “Mil-la“, it’s “Mee-ya” for her nickname. Title comes from Remy Zero’s “Yellow Light,” featured in The White Room episode from season one.
“Are you guys comin’ back in or what,” Kyle’s voice broke into Max’s hazy thoughts. He jerked away from Liz and stared at Kyle, trying to figure out how Kyle got himself in between them and their perfect honeymoon.

“Oh, that’s right, I almost forgot!”

Max looked down at Liz as she pulled him back into the sanctuary.

“What is it?”

Liz smiled up at him. “Your sister, my best friend, getting married, remember?” Max looked up to see Alex and Isabel at the front already waiting on them. “Isabel was so excited when she told me about it, I can’t believe I forgot!”

“I can,” Max said with a bit of uncharacteristic grumpiness. They were THIS close to actually getting away, ALONE for the first time in-

“Max, we’ve waited this long, I think we can handle twenty more minutes.” Liz whispered as they took their places up front.

Speak for yourself. But he faced the beaming couple and was immediately glad they had waited.

*I’ll make it up to you, I promise.*

Max closed his eyes and felt the swell of desire that washed over him. From her. A small smile curved his lips. Liz was his and nothing could change that.

******

It was already time for her vows? Isabel clutched the bouquet of baby pink roses even more tightly.

Alex had said his with love in his eyes and a strong voice that carried across the room. It was so easy for him. But Isabel had never felt more exposed, more vulnerable, in her life. Her feelings for Alex had always been intensely private and it was hard to admit her need and desire for him in front of all of these people.

*I know, Izzy. But no one else has to hear it but you and me.*

Isabel smiled. Of course he was understanding about it. But he shouldn’t always have to settle for less from her.

He leaned in to look her in the eyes. *I’m not settling, Izzy-*

You are. I can do this. Isabel squared her shoulders and tossed her hair defiantly. If she could face down an evil alien hunter, then she could say the words Alex needed to hear. She turned to the preacher and pinned him down with a fiery gaze. “Would you repeat that, please?”

The preacher blinked and shrank back visibly. “Y-yes. I’ll- I’ll go more slowly this time. Ready? Okay... do you... Isabel Chloe Evans, take Alex Charles Whitman... to be... your lawfully...”

Isabel cocked one eyebrow at him. “Could you get on with it, please? We don‘t have all day.” She felt Alex’s amazement, but kept her eyes on the preacher.

“Of course...” he paused and then spat the rest out as one word. “yourlawfullyweddedhusbandtohaveandtoholdfromthisdayforward, solongasyoubothshalllive?”

Isabel blinked and then turned to Alex. “I do,” she said firmly and loudly. Then a smile crept across her face. Alex was trying hard not to laugh.

*Give ‘em hell, my Izzy-belle.*

Well, there was no use in stringing it out like that.

*Right. Give me your hand.*

She frowned at him. “What?”

“Your hand.” Alex pulled out her wedding ring.

“Oh.” Isabel gave the bouquet to Maria and turned back to Alex.

His blue eyes looked deeply into hers as he placed the ring gently on her finger and repeated the preacher’s words. She smiled through her tears and took the ring Maria offered her. Then she slid the thicker counterpart ring on Alex’s finger. In a shaky voice, but with the strength of his love flowing through her, she said it. “With this ring, I thee wed, and all my worldly goods, I thee endow.”

*Should we add other-worldly on to that, too?*

Isabel rolled her eyes as she got back her bouquet. At the preacher’s suggestion, Alex turned to kiss her chastely on the lips and they were presented as Mr. and Mrs. Alex Charles Whitman. The hum that sprang up between them was breath-stealing. The walk down the aisle was quick and then she was in his arms- her husband’s arms.

*I love you, Isabel.*

I love you, Alex.

He looked down into her eyes and smiled his charming smile. “This is the biggest day of Alex Charles Whitman’s life. Thank you for making my dreams come true.”

And as his lips found hers, Isabel found herself thinking that this kiss was anything but chaste...

****** Joey was moving off of the platform when Maria stepped forward. “No, no, people, where are you going?” Joey watched, puzzled, as she gestured to the families in the pews. “Sit back down. I have NOT heard the fat lady sing yet.”

“Maria, what is it,” Liz asked from where she stood nestled beside Max.

Maria smiled and walked up to the preacher. “I was sort of hoping that you wouldn’t mind doing one more ceremony tonight.”

The preacher’s eyes narrowed. Poor guy was definitely in for more than he bargained for tonight. Joey had thought several times during Max and Liz’s ceremony that she had seen him pinch himself- hard. “That depends. Have you got a groom?”

Maria snorted. “Have I got a groom? Have you got a bad toupee?”

There was a muffled gasp from the audience. And someone barely smothered their bark of a laugh. Maria froze. “Did I say ‘bad toupee?’ I’m sorry, I meant ‘good toupee,’ as in I didn’t even notice it until I was standing right there behind you and well...”

Michael stepped forward. “I’m the groom.” He gestured loosely at Maria. “Sorry about the toupee thing. Weddings cut off the oxygen supply to her brain.”

The preacher sighed. “Oh, it only makes sense that someone would make a joke about my hair, since this is pretty much turning out to be my worst nightmare.” He shook his head. “Well, I can at least take comfort in the fact that it’s not the one where I show up naked. I wouldn‘t want to subject all of you nice people to that one.”

Joey barely smothered her giggle at the image that popped into her mind. Michael narrowed his eyes. “So, you gonna’ marry us or what?”

The preacher sighed. “Sure, I‘ll marry you. Anybody else want in while the altar is hot?”

Joey’s gaze sought out Kyle and she found that he was watching her. He looked away, but not before she saw the lonely look on his face.

Had she done the right thing by not telling him what Matpatha said? She closed her eyes and steeled herself. He would not be safe on earth as a hybrid, and she wouldn’t be here to protect him. She was doing the right thing. She was.

******

Michael stepped up in front of the church guy, Maria hooked on his arm. She was already trembling, so he tried to shove down the butterflies moshing in his stomach.

*I know you’re nervous. Just relax.*

I‘m fine. Michael swallowed.

“Beloved, we are STILL gathered together to witness the marriage of two people whom I apparently have the exclusive pleasure of not yet being introduced to... excuse me, what are your names?”

“Sorry,” Maria whispered. “Maria Leah Deluca and Michael Guerin.”

Michael shifted and felt in his pocket for the ring he’d just made. It was simple- a nickel that he’d smoothed and curved and softened until it was perfect. It felt cool to the touch and made him somehow feel better. He tuned back in.

“-should not enter into the marriage vows unadvisedly, or without counsel and a firm grasp of the responsibilities-”

“Hey,” Michael interrupted quietly. “No offense, but we don’t need all the mumbo-jumbo.”

The church guy gave him a blank look. “Mumbo-jumbo?”

Maria elbowed Michael hard in the side. Michael winced, but continued. “Yeah, just skip to the good part.”

“And that would be...?”

“You know,” Michael shifted uncomfortably. “The ‘I do’ crap.”

Maria stomped on his foot and he bent over in pain. He heard a titter of laughter.

“What,” he bellowed. She just glared at him.

“Okay,” the church guy said. “You want the abbreviated version, correct?”

Michael frowned. Why did he have to use so many words to say everything?

*Just say yes.*

“Yeah.”

“Fine. How about this?” The church guy smiled a big, fake smile. “Do you take her?”

Michael raised his eyebrows. Now that, he could understand. “Yeah.”

The guy turned to Maria. “Do you take him?”

Maria smiled over at Michael. “I do.”

The church guy nodded. “Then give her the ring and we’ll call it a night.”

Michael nodded. After a deep breath, he took Maria’s hand and slid the ring up on the finger she offered.

She gasped and looked into his eyes. *You made this, didn’t you?*

He nodded.

*It’s beautiful.*

Michael smiled, then looked up at the church guy, who was watching them with vague interest. “Do I gotta’ say something?”

“Only if you want to.”

Michael looked back into Maria’s eyes. He wanted to. “Uh... you’re... you’re it. And... I love you.” Thank you for loving me.

Maria teared up and her hand trembled under his. Then she reached out and took his other hand. “I don’t have a ring for you,” she whispered. “But I do have this.”

She touched his fourth finger and a circle of shiny gold appeared on his skin. Whoa. A tattoo. Michael grinned up at her. Very cool.

She grinned at him slyly. *Now, you can never take it off, space boy.*

“Okay, the groom may now kiss the bride.”

Michael frowned up at the church guy. No one told him when to kiss his wife.

The church guy didn‘t seem surprised. “But then, what else about this ceremony has been normal?” He took a deep breath. “Well, believe it or not, these two are now married. And I am, at the very least, relieved to be able to present to you Mr. and Mrs. Michael Guerin.”

Maria held up her hand. “That’s Maria Deluca-Guerin.”

“What?” Michael looked over at her. “You don’t want my name?”

Instant fire in her blue eyes. “You want me to drop Deluca? Dream on, caveman!” Then she grabbed his arm and pulled him down the aisle. The organ music crashed in as they passed lots of smiling faces and then they were alone in the fourier.

Michael paced a few steps before turning back to face her. “I can’t believe you don’t want to take my-”

Her body was against his, her hands gripping, her lips crushing and all thought slammed to a halt. *I want to take whatever you got.*

He didn’t think it was possible to smile with someone stuck to his face, but somehow, he managed it anyway.

Part 55 | Index | Part 57
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.