FanFic - Max/Liz
"Darkest Dyas"
Part 41
by Ash
Disclaimer: I don’t own any of the original characters from “Roswell.“ They belong to Melinda Metz and Jason Katims and the wonderful people at WB. I have invented a slew of characters to go with ‘em, though and I hope the originals aren’t too insulted to have them mix and mingle and perhaps fall in love here or there.
Summary: This has become an alternate universe over the course of the other three stories. It was in line with the show through “Sexual Healing” and then my own version of Tess hit the atmosphere in “Captivated by Darkness.“ Two years later, we picked up the story and began the mythology with “Fight the Break of Dawn,“ where Liz was transformed and they met Christopher in L.A. Next came “Fading Into Twilight” which was NOT a wedding fic, but did contain the ill-fated nuptials which led our characters to this point. Now, in my AU, remember that I diverge from the show and Sheriff Valenti is still an unknown quantity, Pierce doesn’t exist, my Tess is very dead (and deservedly so) and the Evans and Mrs. Parker know the truth about the aliens.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Dedication: To Sheeijan and Abs, both of whom are excellent ‘backers and obsessors. Title comes from Remy Zero’s “Yellow Light,” featured in The White Room episode from season one.
Liz schooled her face not to show any emotion as Croazoh/Joey turned her way. But the smiling face immediately grew suspicious.

*Liz...*

Liz smiled, realizing that after Christopher and Nathan’s happy reunion, she should have been smiling.

The shapeshifter’s eyes narrowed and he took a step closer to Liz.

Liz felt Max tense behind her. Nice and easy, Max...

“Isn’t it wonderful, Joey? Now they’re reunited just like you and Max and Isabel were.” Liz hoped that she sounded convincing. Croazoh knew her so well now that he’d been in her head. Could he read her fear?

“Is something wrong, Joey?” Max’s voice sounded edgy to Liz and she forced herself not to respond to it. He was trying to force Croazoh to realize that he was jeopardizing his cover by acting suspicious.

“Something wrong? I was just going to ask you the same thing.” Croazoh’s eyes crinkled as he smiled a sweet Joey smile.

Liz’s stomach cramped. He knew.

Max’s hand grabbed Liz’s elbow and pulled at her.

“No, I wouldn’t do that if I were you,” Croazoh held out a hand and whispered. “There are only twelve out of the thirteen here. Someone is missing. You wouldn’t want to endanger her life now, would you?”

Liz’s gaze shot to Isabel and Alex, who were looking lost in each other but only a few feet away. They hadn’t heard anything.

**Uh, Liz? What the hell is going on over there?**

Liz didn’t dare look at Michael. Max’s fierce anger was spearing through Liz and she was sure Michael could feel that and her fear as well.

“Where is she?” Max’s whisper was deadly.

Croazoh walked another step forward and put his arms on Liz’s shoulders. “I want a hug from my future sister-in-law.” Max released Liz’s elbow and moved both his hands around her waist. He thrust his hands forward in between Liz and Croazoh, keeping the shapeshifter from embracing her. Liz took in a shuddering breath as Croazoh still pushed in as close as Max‘s hands allowed him, his face only inches away from hers. Max was livid behind her, desperate to do something, but afraid of endangering Joey’s life.

“Get away from her,” he spat out in a low tone.

Liz was frozen, mesmerized by the evil glint in the familiar hazel eyes in front of her. “So, Liz, who dies first?”

Then a large hand gripped the small waist of the hunter in front of her and ripped the arms away from Liz’s body. Michael! Croazoh’s face was stunned as he was set back down five feet away from Max and Liz.

Michael headed for Liz, Maria still in his arms. Max quickly pulled Liz behind him and she could hear his thoughts spinning. Do it, Max! He looked over his shoulder at her and nodded. In a loud voice, he addressed the others. “In your foursquares- NOW!”

Liz could see the hatred beginning to replace the amazement in the hunter’s eyes even as everyone scrambled to obey Max’s command.

******

Isabel pulled Alex with her as she headed for Max and Liz. What was going on with them? Joey looked pissed, and Michael looked... what was that look on his face?

“What’s going on,” Isabel asked Liz.

“That’s not Joey,” she whispered.

“Oh sh*t,” Alex said under his breath. “I’ve met him before. Isabel, that’s your hunter.”

Isabel nodded and took Alex’s hand, which was positively clammy. She squeezed it and tried to warm it up. Alex’s love and determination to keep her safe were sliding through her. She wasn’t alone and she wasn’t afraid.

******

Max kept one eye on Croazoh as he watched the others make their formations. Tug, Delia, Christopher and Shelly stood side by side, each holding a palm to the palm of the person next to them. Max blinked in surprise. Over to their right, Justin and Nathan were eyeing each other nervously. Crap. Joey and Maria were both out of pocket. Max forced himself NOT to worry about Joey right now. He had felt her- she was okay for now. He turned to Isabel and Alex.

“Alex, you have to help Nathan and Justin- be Maria’s substitute.”

“Maria’s substitute?“ Alex regarded Max with a blank look. “Okay, I know I hang out with Maria and Liz a lot, and I’ve got the whole sensitive thing going on, but I’d just like to take this moment to remind you that I AM a guy!”

Max turned to watch Croazoh move away a few steps. Then Max looked over his shoulder at Alex with as intimidating a glare as he could. “Do it, Alex.”

Alex blinked and then nodded. He kissed Isabel lightly and Max turned back to watch the shapeshifter. Behind him, he knew Michael was laying Maria down. Liz reached out and took Max’s hand. Their connection was strong, humming with vibrancy. Then Isabel clasped Max’s other hand and took Michael’s. Michael grabbed Liz’s hand. Currents of power slid between them so quickly that the usual images were lost in the roar.

Croazoh turned back to them. In the blink of an eye, his appearance morphed, transformed and he was an older, grayed man. The blue eyes were bright and fierce, reminding Max somehow of the girl Tess that he had known. Croazoh was powerful, but so were they. Two of the three foursquares were bonded and ready. And Alex, Nathan and Justin were connecting, now. Surely their power would be able to help.

******

Alex felt the power influx, and saw the images from the very instant that he grabbed Nathan’s shoulder. He was seeing Nathan as a teenager, lonely, searching for his identity, never fitting in. Simultaneously, he saw Justin caring for Kate, the only sibling he had with him, being forced to steal things, hurt people with his powers, just to keep her safe in the horrible house they lived in. My God... the grief and sense of loss from Justin were suffocating. How could he fight like this?

*Buck up, man,* Alex heard Nathan’s thoughts say exactly what he’d been thinking himself. *I’ve lost a sister, too, but we’ve got to focus on killing that blimey bastard and finding Joey before we lose her, too.*

**If she’s still alive.**

Justin, ever thought about a career in motivational speaking?

Nathan ignored Alex’s sarcasm. *Joey is alive. I know she is.*

Justin’s energy was shifting a bit, becoming more potent and fierce. Their three energies mixed and melded into one force. Oh yeah. Alex nodded. He was feeling pret-ty damn good with this stuff running amuck in his body.

*But I- I should have realized it wasn’t her right away!*

No, no, no. Alex interrupted Nathan’s thoughts. This is no time for guilt or grief, fellow members of the male triad. He lifted his chin. Today, we fight for freedom, justice and the... Dagonian way. Alex grinned.

*HUH?*

Alex kept smiling. It’s a Superhero thing. You wouldn’t understand.

******

Michael felt stronger than he’d ever felt before. Delia was safe and protected in her foursquare and the grief and turmoil within his family faded into the background. Michael was beginning to realize that something had changed since their last foursquare hook-up. He’d never felt anything like this.

Max was churning out energy like a nuclear generator, and Liz’s sizzling energy was heightened to match his. Together, they were awesome. Michael felt Isabel’s fiery energy wrap itself to his and it all funneled through them in a whirlwind, a roaring, that threatened to completely take over Michael’s senses.

He could barely even think, much less fight. *We have to find Joey.*

Michael felt Max reaching out and he fed his energy in that direction. Joey was out there, somewhere.

******

Joey watched the scrambling and subsequent connecting with a silent crow of triumph. They were invincible once they were together. Her gaze flickered over to Croazoh, in his true form now. Why hadn’t he tried anything yet? He was watching them with something like amusement on his face.

Joey felt uncertainty worm its way into her mind. How could he face that much power and not be afraid? Maybe he knew something they didn’t know. Maybe this was it. Maybe he could take them all down, just as easily as he had her.

NO!

Her last moments with Kyle flashed in her mind. She had felt the warmth of his breath as he kissed her hair and whispered, “I love you, Joey. No matter what happens.”

Then that kiss. Oh God, what a kiss. Joey closed her eyes. It had completely melted her. It was full of promise, full of desire, full of Kyle. And then they had connected again. This time she hadn’t felt the torture he’d been through, instead she felt his thoughts of her- and they were... beautiful. He loved her- Joey Spencer- just the way she had always dreamed of being loved. So she had thanked him, just before the orb had pulled her away.

The ache in Joey’s heart was almost overwhelming. She had to get back to him; she had to fight, no matter what.

Her eyes flew open. She had felt something pulling at her... Max! It was Max! She closed her eyes again and let a little power leak out, reaching toward their essences and showing them where she was. She had given up after warning him, out of necessity because her power was so depleted. But now it was him, and Liz... and Isabel and Michael, reaching out to her. The pulses of power eking out of her quickly took their toll, but almost immediately, Max connected with her.

*JOEY!*

I’m here. He has me under some kind of- A quick rush of energy enveloped her and then, pain. Screaming, red pain sliced through her.

*Max! Max,* she heard Liz screaming. Then the connection was gone and the cut places bled power, bled essence, bled pain. Joey convulsed, hoping to outlast it. But she- couldn’t- even- breathe-

******

Michael was trying to heal himself, trying to find Isabel, trying to help Liz. Everything hurt- everywhere that the connection had been.

******

Max was on his knees. He had lost Joey and he couldn’t hear Liz anymore. His hands were to his ears and he could still hear himself screaming.

******

Isabel was lost in red, gaping pain, scrambling to find relief. ALEX! She couldn’t find him, couldn’t feel him. Or anyone. MICHAEL!

******

Alex hit the floor in inescapable agony, his senses overwhelmed by panic and pain. Red waves crossed the darkness in his mind and he felt it travel. Soon Nathan and Justin were writhing beside him, but he could no longer feel their thoughts... he could feel only pain.

******

Liz was again on the cold, white tiled floor, fiercely holding in a scream when the pain suddenly stopped. She opened her eyes to see the others, to the last one, on the floor- still in agony. Max was only feet away, hands over his ears, crying out hoarsely. She couldn’t stand it. She pushed up to her knees, but Croazoh was there before she could move to Max’s side. She froze as he stood between her and Max, but kept her gaze on her love‘s anguished face, refusing to even acknowledge the shapeshifter.

“Curious how the connection is an advantage and yet- a disadvantage. I hurt one and get the added benefit of tormenting the others. All of this,” he swept his hand across the floor littered with bodies in agony. “From just two connections. Millamalinka and Jasharet. And like a stack of cards, they fall. Fascinating.”

Liz was willing away the last echoes of pain and squirreling away the power that was being produced in her body. “What did you do to them?”

Croazoh seemed perfectly happy to talk down to her and Liz was fine with it for now. It gave him the illusion of power that he wanted.

“Oh, just reached in and severed the connection that Millamalinka had formed to Chatamalinkasohn, and the one from Jasharet to his hybrid.”

He said the word hybrid as though it were a disease. “Her name is Shelly.” Liz glowered as she saw that Shelly was now unconscious on the floor.

“Interesting.” His tone was anything but interested. “The twelve has been compromised, weakened by their connections with humans. They will not be welcomed home like this. Not even the great king will be able to lead a people that are disgusted by his breeding choice- a weak hybrid.”

Liz was stunned. Would his people hold her in contempt because of what she was? She wrestled only a moment. Croazoh was nothing if not a liar. He was trying to shake her, force her to leave Max. She stood and faced him, barely holding in her contempt for the hunter.

“Max is the king. His people will follow him because he will rule wisely and has a heart of sacrifice and duty. That is the only kind of person Max knows how to be.”

“Impressive loyalty. Chatamalinkasohn has always inspired that kind of following. But I repeat, his choice of mate will undermine his leadership. If he returns with you, he will face an uncertain future.”

Liz cringed. No matter how much she knew he loved her, she hated to think that her presence would make things more difficult for him. “Make the choice for him, Liz. Leave him now and save him the heartache of disposing of you later.” She gazed down at Max and saw that he, too, had succumbed to unconsciousness. Everyone was now still. But in her heart, Liz knew that there was no choice to be made.

“You want me to leave him- now, after everything we’ve been through together?” Liz almost smiled at the insanity of the thought. “I’d rather lay down on the floor and let you torture me to death. He cannot live- without me.”

Croazoh’s face widened in a mocking smile. “Oh really? Care to make a wager?”

“Hell yeah!”

Liz gasped and turned to see Maria suddenly up on her feet- glowing!

“I like the thousand to one odds that the shapeshifter will become a pool of goo in ten seconds or less. What do you think, Liz?”

Liz felt a smile cross her face, but Croazoh’s face had darkened.

TBC...

Part 40 | Index | Part 42
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.