FanFic - Max/Liz
"Darkest Days"
Part 37
by Ash
Disclaimer: I don’t own any of the original characters from “Roswell.“ They belong to Melinda Metz and Jason Katims and the wonderful people at WB. I have invented a slew of characters to go with ‘em, though and I hope the originals aren’t too insulted to have them mix and mingle and perhaps fall in love here or there.
Summary: This has become an alternate universe over the course of the other three stories. It was in line with the show through “Sexual Healing” and then my own version of Tess hit the atmosphere in “Captivated by Darkness.“ Two years later, we picked up the story and began the mythology with “Fight the Break of Dawn,“ where Liz was transformed and they met Christopher in L.A. Next came “Fading Into Twilight” which was NOT a wedding fic, but did contain the ill-fated nuptials which led our characters to this point. Now, in my AU, remember that I diverge from the show and Sheriff Valenti is still an unknown quantity, Pierce doesn’t exist, my Tess is very dead (and deservedly so) and the Evans and Mrs. Parker know the truth about the aliens.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Dedication: To Sheeijan and Abs, both of whom are excellent ‘backers and obsessors. Title comes from Remy Zero’s “Yellow Light,” featured in The White Room episode from season one.
Maria was wiggin’. The whole world was one big radar screen and the other‘s energy signatures showed up like blinking red dots. It was way too cool. She could also zap them with an energy bolt to transfer them. All without even breaking a sweat. She smiled smugly.

Of course, she had no idea HOW she knew this, but it was going to be a buttload of fun. She couldn’t wait to see the Maxpersonator’s face when he saw the other eight jetting in with their power all juiced up and ready to go.

He was going to crap juju beans.

Maria ignored the firepower being flung at her, but managed to fight back lethargically and look as though she was in the midst of a serious, maybe even possibly losing battle with the lame-o. She should definitely get an Oscar for this one. Inside, she turned her mind to the task at hand.

She reached outward until she could feel the energy signatures of the twelve, each distinguished from the other by its color and texture. There was Chatamalinkasohn and Liz nearby, swirls of amber and warm chocolate colored energy flowing back and forth in their connection. Krynasettah’s essence was a deep burnt sienna, dry and dusty with a hint of warmth. His energy was flowing, but somehow blocked by that shapeshifting Cro-magnon.

Maria again wanted desperately to stop and help him, but the orb was pushing her on. She had to get the others here. She sighed and moved on. It was simply a matter of deciding who to transfer first. Millamalinka (Joey) was in the most danger- no, maybe Brodaret (Nathan) was. Why the hell did she want to call everyone by their alien names now? Must be the orb prodding her brain. She shivered.

Okay, definitely Nathan then and that was... Magrasettah (Justin) connected to him. Oh, great. She had been hoping to save Justin’s ass for last, let him sweat it out a bit. Oh well, whatever. He was Michael’s brother after all.

She sent power rushing toward Nathan, not in the material world, more like... in the psychic realm. Mom would love this! The power fired him up from head to toe, then spread to Justin. She wished she could be there in person to see what it looked like.

Nathan was pretty bad off, but the orb’s energy healed him instantly. Then he was rushing toward her, or rather a bolt of energy the color of wheatfields was coming so fast that she didn’t have time to-

And there he was. They had never even met before, so Maria flashed him a brief smile and hoped he could see it somehow among all the glowing.

He must have, because he smiled back weakly. His smile reminded her of Christopher‘s, but before she had time to think, Justin’s essence was sliding along the same connection. It was mottled, the color of the underside of mushrooms with the same spongy texture. Something was definitely wrong with that boy.

She blinked and he stood beside Nathan, grimly facing the hunter.

Oh, the hunter. Maria looked over to see the fear on his face. Evil Maxi Pad redoubled his efforts to break through her energy shielding, but Nathan and Justin managed to block his attack. They weren’t at full strength, but the orb would help them. Maria could safely turn her thoughts to the others.

Joey’s buttery yellow energy had just been used by the other orb and she was very weak. And... she was kissing Kyle...

Pretty hot kiss... But they needed her here. Sorry, lovebirds...

Then Joey was transferred safely, behind Justin and Nathan. Her eyes were heavy with tears, but she nodded to Maria and turned to the fight.

******

The first thing Joey noticed was how weak she was. There had been an influx of strength before she transferred, but the actual transference took its toll. She had felt better when she was with Kyle. At least, she had with his arms around her.

Tears pooled until all she could see were blinding rays of light and dark figures. Would she ever see Kyle again?

Suddenly, an explosion knocked her backwards. She hit the ground beside Nathan. She groaned loudly, her back spasming in pain. That’s what you get for being distracted.

Nathan’s pinched face appeared over her. “You alright, Joey?“ She stirred and rolled over, trying to sit up. “What a wobbler that was! We’d better stop mucking around and stick it to him one good time. You up for it?“

Joey sat up, suddenly realizing that she was supposed to know what to do now. She looked around and took stock of the situation. The first thing she saw was the huge, gaping hole in the wall. The second thing she noticed was the absence of the hunter-who-looked-like Max.

“He went through there,“ Nathan assured her. A large, white room lay beyond the still-smoking hole. Joey took stock of her friends. Over to the side, Justin was sitting up, looking forlorn and pained. Michael was finally showing signs of life and Maria was still glowing from her contact with the orb. Over in the corner, her brother and Liz were wrapped in each other’s arms... looking like they needed some privacy.

Oh my. Joey flushed and let Nathan haul her to her feet.

“Let’s go after him. We should be able to handle him between the three of us. Come on, Justin.“

“Whatever you say, boss.“ Justin stood abruptly and walked toward the hole. He obviously had not taken the news of her leadership role well. Poor baby.

“Shall we go show him what a real wobbler looks like,“ Nathan offered his arm to Joey with smile.

Joey slipped her arm through his and tried to smile. “You may have to describe it to me first.”

******

Max felt Liz’s healing touch and the connection to her before anything else. It was blissful. The whispers of love in his mind and the surge of her energy in his body soothed away the pain until he felt whole again.

His arms automatically went out and pulled her to him. How long had it been since he’d held her, since he’d felt her body alongside his?

*Too long.*

He groaned as she slid farther down and slipped her slender arms around him. Her thoughts were a tangle of desire and need in his head and her body- her body fit perfectly into his. He moved his knee to part her legs, to slide her even closer and she threw one slim thigh over his in response. She was breathing shortly and sweetly, moaning his name as he kissed along her jawline. This was pure heaven. This was pure bliss. Liz around him; Liz inside of him. He never wanted it to end.

*Max???*

Max felt her sudden shock and embarrassment as well as a sudden awareness of someone behind him. He glanced back to see Christopher and Shelley watching them silently.

*Max, who are they?*

Max grimaced. He moved quickly to stand and helped Liz to her feet as well, inwardly cursing himself for losing control so easily. He stood with his back to them. “That’s Christopher and Shelley. You alright?“

He pulled her close, trying to give their bodies a moment to come back down. Right now, her body was still calling to him, but the deep breaths were helping- a little. Maybe he should move farther away-

“Sorry to bother you, Max, but I just wanted to make sure you were... okay before we went on.” Max turned to see Christopher looked amused, but respectful nonetheless. He bowed quickly and Shelley followed suit. Max looked over to see Delia and Tug helping Michael to his feet. And beside them was something he never thought he’d see in his life- Maria Deluca, glowing from the inside-out.

*Oh my god...*

“Maria?” He and Liz walked closer to her. She looked fine, just zoned out and... powerful. There was this creamy yellow light coming from her. Oddly enough, it reminded him of a banana milkshake. The orb must be controlling her. Max turned his gaze to Michael, who looked shaken, but alright.

“Michael?”

“I’m fine,” Michael retorted dryly. “Just feeling a little bit like a tube of toothpaste in the middle.” He stretched out his back, wincing in the process. "Damn hunter.” He stilled and eyed Maria now. He stepped closer. “My god, would you look at her?” He reached out to touch Maria. As soon as he made contact, he sucked in a sharp breath and drew his hand back. Max half-smiled. He knew that feeling. “What the hell was that?”

“It must’ve already transformed her somehow. Good news for you.“ Michael smirked at him. Max smiled back. “I think she’s okay. The orb is using her for some reason. It did the same thing to Liz earlier.” Max turned to Liz. He could feel Liz searching around in the connection. What is it, Liz?

*Just wondering if I’m still connected to Michael?*

**I’m right here.** He eyed them warily. **Just blocking at the moment. Tired of feeling the two of you dying to rip each other’s clothes off.**

Max blinked. Oh.

*So, you can block me now? Since when?*

**What you don’t believe me? Fine.**

Max felt the connection close off with relief. But Liz pulled away and walked over to Michael. They looked at each other guardedly and then big grins broke out on their faces. Liz was so relieved and happy to see him again. Her smile was contagious and Michael pulled her into a hug to hide his own. Max felt the connection open between the two of them again. The emotion that flowed was amazingly poignant and Max turned away to give them a little privacy.

**I screwed up bad, Liz. I’m so-**

*No, no Michael. You didn’t do anything wrong. You helped me so much-*

**But I said it was a nightmare-**

*You didn’t know, Michael.*

**I could have been here before they did that-**

*No! Michael, you couldn’t have. You needed to be with Max.*

**I could have stopped it.**

*No. You couldn’t have known. It‘s okay, Michael. I‘m okay.*

There was an overwhelming rush of feelings that Max didn’t even try to decipher. He looked over to see Michael kiss Liz on the top of the head and pull her into his chest tighter.

**I am going to kill these bastards for what they did to you.**

Max had to fight off his own rage as Michael’s anger rushed through him.

*Let’s just go take care of this hunter and call it a day, okay? There‘s been enough killing and pain.* Liz looked up at him with teary eyes and Max couldn’t stand it anymore.

My turn. He walked over and held out a hand to Liz. She smiled at him gratefully. Michael let her go to Max and gave her one last nod. Then he turned to Delia.

Max felt Liz sigh in his embrace. Someone coughed.

Oh yeah.

“Liz,” Max turned to the new group and led Liz to them. “This is Shelley, Christopher, Tug and Delia.”

They all bowed to her, which made Liz feel completely uncomfortable. Max was overjoyed at their response. She was the queen already in their eyes. Even Delia seemed to accept her without hesitation. Of course, their earlier impromptu visual aide may have provided Delia with the evidence she needed to convince her that her king was completely and utterly taken.

“Nice to meet you all.” Liz turned to him with a questioning gaze. *What’s this about Delia?*

Little king worship, no big deal.

*Uh-huh. She had just better keep her little green eyes to herself, or I just might-*

Liz! Max smiled down at her and caressed her cheek. She’s just a kid. Liz studied him seriously for a moment and then kissed him soundly. He could hear her in his mind.

*Take THAT, Delia!*

Max agreed. He deepened the kiss and slid his arms around her again. Amazing. She could make him completely forget about the- the-

*Hunter, Max.*

Riiiight. ******

Isabel clung to Alex’s hand and fought off the power calling her. It was Maria, somehow, and the orb all at once. They wanted her; they needed the twelve together.

She shook her head fiercely. NO! I am not leaving Alex!

Then there was some confusion.

*Isabel! That’s Alex, with you?*

Yes and he’s dying and I am NOT leaving him. The tears had ended and now she looked at him with round, dry eyes. He needs me.

The orb was pulling her again, overriding Maria’s desires.

Isabel screamed and sucked all her power deep inside of her. It whirled and massed, finally forming a block to the connection that pulled at her. The orb punched right through and gripped her essence, sending a burning through her body. It went cell by cell, until she was all energy and nothing else. But still she held on, gripping Alex with every ounce of love and passion she felt for him. He is my life and I will NOT leave him!!

The orb fell back, leaving her uncertain. Had it given up?

******

Liz gasped as Maria suddenly came to life in front of them.

“Max, oh god, you have to help me- help Isabel and Alex! The orb is trying to force her to leave him and he’s- he’s dying!” Her eyes were full of tears, somehow still visible through the glow in her. Liz pushed Max forward. “Connect with her, Max. You have to save Alex!”

*I will.* He stood beside Maria and touched her lightly on the arm. His gaze went back to Liz and she smiled at him as his face went blank. She wrapped her arms around herself and was glad a little when Michael came to stand beside her protectively. They couldn’t lose Alex. Not now. If he’d made it this far, there had to be a way to save him.

TBC...

Part 36 | Index | Part 38
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.