FanFic - Max/Liz
"Darkest Days"
Part 22
by Ash
Disclaimer: I don’t own any of the original characters from “Roswell.“ They belong to Melinda Metz and Jason Katims and the wonderful people at WB. I have invented a slew of characters to go with ‘em, though and I hope the originals aren’t too insulted to have them mix and mingle and perhaps fall in love here or there.
Summary: This has become an alternate universe over the course of the other three stories. It was in line with the show through “Sexual Healing” and then my own version of Tess hit the atmosphere in “Captivated by Darkness.“ Two years later, we picked up the story and began the mythology with “Fight the Break of Dawn,“ where Liz was transformed and they met Christopher in L.A. Next came “Fading Into Twilight” which was NOT a wedding fic, but did contain the ill-fated nuptials which led our characters to this point. Now, in my AU, remember that I diverge from the show and Sheriff Valenti is still an unknown quantity, Pierce doesn’t exist, my Tess is very dead (and deservedly so) and the Evans and Mrs. Parker know the truth about the aliens.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: To Sheeijan and Abs, both of whom are excellent ‘backers and obsessors. Title comes from Remy Zero’s “Yellow Light,” featured in The White Room episode from season one.
Kyle was nervously biting off another hangnail as he watched the hospital situation worsen by the minute. Feds had arrived and were cleaning up the “drill.“ Their head suit had claimed that Dr. Garrett was given a “carte blanche” by the Department of Health and Human Services, which his Dad said was a fancy way of saying that Garrett wasn’t going to be held responsible for anything he did. Bullsh*t.

But so far, they had nothing. They had interviewed the guy that Kyle had heard having the bodies cremated. He was, of course, only a private acting under higher orders from the USAMRIID, the United States Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases.

Apparently, some of their guys had an interest in the goings-on here. So they had followed that accusation up the chain of command and found that it disappeared at Lt. Tom Williams, who had been one of the yellow suits. He, apparently, was the fall guy.

Kyle had watched the carnage with secret glee. Lt. Williams’ answers were rote memory, and the look on his face when the higher-ups denied his claim to immunity was a sight to behold. They hung him out to dry. He was acting on his own free will, they said. Poor bastard.

That took care of the mishandling of the bodies. The claims of unnecessary force and misleading the public were still under investigation, as were the ridiculous claims that Liz and Alex had run off together. Kyle knew his Dad didn’t believe that one. But a short investigation at the Parkers’ apartment did show that a bag and some of Liz’s clothes were missing, according to Mr. Parker.

More bullsh*t. They planted that the night of the disappearance. According to Joey’s last conversation with Maria, Liz and Alex were being held in Berkeley, California in the clutches of some really evil people.

In fact, they were old friends of his, the guys who had questioned him the night of the wedding. At that news, Kyle had puked accordingly. Now he was determined to make someone pay. He couldn’t rescue them, but he could make sure the front men paid and paid out the ying-yang.

But so far, he hadn’t seen the opportunity. The plastic ICU was almost completely dismantled now and the two remaining dead had been identified as Angela Tinkeroy and Vladimir Heading. Both had been on the state-wide missing persons list for over two years.

Another loose end.

Kyle shook his head. This was so whacked. Mulder? Scully? Any theories? He knew he’d seen at least fifty X-Files episodes just like this. They even had the Smoking Man out there denying everything.

Then Kyle saw his Dad heading toward him. “Dad. Hey, anything new?”

He got a grin and a flash of a videotape in his Dad’s hand as he went by. Kyle followed. They went to a small office where a VCR was set up in the corner. A candystriper, who looked totally freaked at having cops in the room, was showing his Dad how to work the VCR. He waved her off and stuck the tape in.

There were three other uniformed officers in the room beside Hansen and Dad. Kyle wondered at the tape they were about to watch. It must be important.

The screen went blue and then Jennifer Trilling appeared. Kyle frowned. She looked like hell- eyes red and swollen, face splotchy from emotion and fear in her wide eyes. “Sheriff Valenti, I have to tell you this before they find me.” She leaned forward. “I don’t know where my husband is, but the FBI has promised to take me to him if I help them. I don’t know why they have him, but I felt like I had no choice at the time.” Kyle shook his head. Larry Trilling had been killed by Nasedo. The FBI had used his disappearance to their advantage. Jennifer was now crying, wiping away tears with shaking hands. “I didn’t know what was going to happen, I swear. They asked me to mix this packet of powder in the ketchup bottle and place on the table where this older couple sat. Somehow, it was all arranged beforehand. I didn’t know they were going to die. I mean, I should have known, but I figured it couldn‘t be that bad. I mean, they‘re the government, right? They‘re the good guys.”

She cast her glance around the room desperately, and Kyle muttered a curse under his breath. “I’m just so sorry. I wanted to see Larry again, that’s all. When I saw the poor people die, I got scared and grabbed the ketchup bottle. I broke it and cleaned up the mess myself, so no one would ever see it. I guess that was wrong, too. I’ve been hiding out since then, trying to figure out what to do and this is the only conclusion I could come to. Sheriff, I know you’re an honest man, and I don’t trust those FBI guys. I’ve made it so easy for them. They can just kill me and pin the whole thing on me. I shouldn’t have been so stupid. I’m sorry. I’m sorry for everything, especially for making the Parkers go through such hell.” Kyle believed her.

Then the she stood up and walked over to the camera and the screen went blank. Someone whistled a long, loud note. “Holy Mary, mother of God.”

Kyle looked over at his father, who had bowed his head and was clenching his fists tightly. His cell phone rang and he jerked the phone out of his pocket. “Yeah?” His eyes moved about the room as he listened, an expression of anger evident on his face. “I’ll be right there. Keep them guarded.” He slammed the phone shut, stood and announced to everyone, “Two of my guys were posted at the crematorium. They just caught a couple of lackeys dropping off Jennifer Trilling’s body.”

Kyle felt a chill travel down his spine.

“We’ll break that news first, then release the tape to the media in one hour. You are all witnesses that this tape was found before the body. Poor girl. But at least we’ve got ‘em nailed, the sons-of-b*tches.”

There was grim agreement all across the room. Then his Dad turned to him. “Kyle, I need to see you for a second.”

Kyle hesitated and then nodded. They walked over to a small side room and his Dad shut the door behind him. Then he fixed his intense blue eyes on him. “Kyle, something has happened to Liz Parker and to Alex Whitman. I think you know more than you’re telling me.” Kyle shifted uncomfortably. “Now, these guys play for keeps. If they’ve got Liz and Alex then we need to find them right away. You need to tell me everything you know, right now.”

Kyle swallowed hard. “You’re right, Dad. Just give me a minute here, okay? I’ve got to-”

“No. I’m not giving you any more time on this. There are lives at stake, Kyle. Tell me what you know.”

He knew that look in his Dad’s eyes. It was spill it now or stay here ‘til he did. It was absolutely ridiculous, but he could only think of one thing: What would Max Evans do in a situation like this?

******

Max pulled Michael down out of the car and carried him to a flat area. The others were following, but for now, Michael was his main concern.

Just as Max knelt, Michael’s eyes snapped open. He grabbed at Max’s arm. “She’s gone.”

“What?” The others gathered around and Maria cradled Michael’s head in her lap. He was completely still, his face as pale as death. “The hunter... is there... inside her mind... he used... the connection.”

“Heal him, Max, hurry,” Maria urged him. Max cut a glance at her, and then his eyes were drawn to the figure walking toward them from the road...

His eyes widened. Nasedo.

“Just a minute, Maria,” he said quietly and then stood to his feet. Liz and Michael’s lives were at stake, but Nasedo only showed up when all hell was about to break lose. Max wasn’t stupid enough to think that it couldn’t get worse.

It could. It always could.

And- it did.

As soon as the others followed Max’s gaze, they sprang into action. Christopher jumped directly in front of Max, and Delia moved in front of him, one hand raised defensively against Nasedo‘s approach. “You move and you die.”

Max was stunned. “Delia, back off.”

Nasedo paused and then held up his hand in response.

Oh no.

Max moved forward until Christopher stopped him. “Delia,” he made his voice as hard as possible, “I said, ‘BACK OFF!’”

“Max, you’ve got to be kidding me,” she said over her shoulder. “This guy is oozing with power. I can feel it from here.”

Max cursed under his breath. She had no idea what she was messing with. Nasedo carried out the will of the orb, and he had all its power at his disposal. “He’s our guardian- sort of.” Max said that last bit under his breath. Nasedo’s kind of guardianship wasn’t the kind they really wanted.

“Illnyasetsa,” Nasedo intoned quietly. “Move.”

Max could see her stiffen with shock. Then she lowered her hand and stepped out of the way, her green eyes fixed on Max. Christopher looked back at Max for direction. Max nodded and Christopher moved to stand beside him.

Max felt the pressure of time as Nasedo walked forward. “Michael has been hurt. I need to heal him.”

He wasn’t asking for permission, just trying to gauge the reason for this visit.

“Liz needs you more,” was Nasedo’s quiet response. Max felt emotion melt his resolve. “If she is to take her place among the twelve, you must go to her. I will help you.”

Max’s eyes widened and fear shot through him. Nasedo was confirming his worst fears; Liz must be close to death. Why else would he show up now? Try as he might, he couldn’t move past that thought.

Nasedo stepped closer. “I will provide the power; you must find the connection.”

Max nodded and looked back up, determined to follow his own instincts. “First I have to heal Michael.”

Nasedo reached out a hand and a pulsating light traveled Michael’s body. In seconds, he was through and Michael sat up. Max knelt beside him. “You okay?”

Michael pulled his gaze away from Maria and nodded at Max. “Isabel’s hunter is there, with Liz.”

Max felt his pulse race. “Is she alright?”

Michael paused, and Max knew he was fighting his emotions. “I don’t know. He did something. The connection is gone.”

Max let that information sink in. He didn’t even want to know what that meant. He shook his head and stood. “I’m ready,” he said to Nasedo.

“Kneel,” Nasedo commanded him. Max obeyed. “Everyone circle Max but do not touch him. This is critical.”

Max felt the air around him become full of warmth and tense concern as their bodies formed a ring around him. He closed his eyes and cast his mind outwards, trying to find that thread of life that bound him to Liz irrevocably. He hadn’t been successful in finding it before, but maybe with Nasedo’s power...

A blinding bolt of energy shot into his mind and the entire world was cascading, pulsating light. Max instinctively reached out and pulled it in, absorbing as much as he could take until the burning spread through his whole body.

He felt... transcendent... invincible.

TBC...

Part 21 | Index | Part 23
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.