FanFic - Max/Liz
"Choices"
Part 5
by Miranda
Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with the WB, Jason Katims or Melinda Metz.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: This was written during season 1, so there are no references to Tess or other aliens.
Max wearily closed the door. He dropped his briefcase next to the sofa as he trudged into the kitchen, one hand rubbing his temples. He could only imagine how Liz must be feeling today. She had already been exhausted when she got home last night, and then with everything else….

He collapsed into a chair and rested his elbows on the table, hands swiping across his face. Liz. He had made the appointment today. He had told her that he was going to, but…. But now, when she got home, he was going to have to tell her when, where, what to expect. He had made himself make that call today, made himself answer all of the nurse’s questions in a steady voice, made himself listen to her instructions, all the while swallowing the bile that kept rising in his throat. He was so afraid that—

Max groaned as he noticed the light flashing on the telephone. He didn’t want to talk to anyone. With any luck it was just a telemarketer. They certainly never expected you to return their calls. He punched the number for their voice mail and listened to the drone of the automated operator telling him they had one new message.

“Liz? This is Dr. Keller.”

Max straightened. Why would her boss be calling here?

“I’m just calling to make sure you’re all right. I didn’t have you down on my calendar as having today off, but perhaps we discussed it and I forgot to write it down? If you are sick--”

Max hung up the phone without listening to the rest of the message. “Liz?” He strode into the living room and halted at the sight of her backpack sitting on the couch. He turned towards their bedroom, fear already filling his chest, constricting his throat. “Liz?” He whispered as he stepped into the bedroom. The closet door was closed, all the drawers were shut, nothing was out of place. But he knew. He leaned against the wall, eyes scanning the room. She was gone.

--

Liz leaned back against the headboard and stared at the television. She shivered and pulled the blankets up around her shoulders. She hadn’t ended up any place warm after all. She had originally intended to buy a ticket to Orlando, but then had changed her mind at the last minute and had only gone as far as Milwaukee. She still wasn’t sure how she had ended up only a hundred miles from Chicago… and home.

She looked at the telephone resting next to her on the bed. She had been arguing with herself for almost an hour. Debating if she should take a chance on calling anyone. She wasn’t looking forward to telling anyone what had happened, her emotions were too close to the surface, but she also thought it was important that someone know where she was – just in case.

She drew her bottom lip into her mouth as she grabbed the phone and dialed. “Answer, please answer before I change my mind,” she whispered.

--

…ring…

She languidly drew one fingertip up his chest, smiling mischievously at him as she licked the skin just under his bottom rib.

He flinched. “The phone’s on your side of the bed.”

“I know.” She shifted, dragging her tongue up his breastbone.

…ring…

“Don’t you think you should answer it?” He caressed the back of her shoulder, tensing in anticipation.

“Busy,” she mumbled against his skin, one fingernail carelessly flicking his right nipple.

…ring…

“And I appreciate that fact, but it might be that gallery in Vancouver.”

She pushed herself away from him with a harumph and reached for the phone. “Hello,” she demanded.

“Hi.”

Maria sat up. “Hey, Liz.” She stuck her tongue out at Michael and turned away from him slightly. “What’s up?”

“I left Max.” Her voice was barely a whisper over the line.

Maria pushed her hair back from her face and whirled to face Michael. “You left Max?” Michael jerked his head up and stared at her. Maria held a hand up to keep him quiet. “What happened?”

“We… uh… had a disagreement.”

Maria could hear the tears in Liz’s voice. “Honey, you don’t leave someone over a disagreement. I know you and Max don’t argue very often, but it is normal to—“

Liz listened to Maria’s tinny voice, coming from hundreds of miles away from the little motel room she sat in and suddenly felt overwhelmed. The fierce control she had kept herself under all day started to slip.

“I’m pregnant, Maria.” Silence. Her control slipped a little more, one tear breaking free and rolling down her cheek. “I… I’m pregnant… and Max…” her voice hitched on his name and she swiped angrily at her wet cheek.

Maria’s own heart ached at the despair in her friend’s voice. “Where are you, Liz?”

“Maria, you have to promise me you won’t tell anyone else where I am. Not even Michael.”

“Lizzie—“

“Promise me, Maria.”

“I promise,” she whispered.

“I’m at a Super 8 motel in Milwaukee. I don’t know how long I’ll be here for sure, but I’ll let you know when I find a place of my own.”

“Liz, this is ridiculous. You don’t need to find a place of your own. You and Max will work this out.”

“He wants me to have an abortion, Maria. In fact, he was going to make the appointment today and take me to the clinic himself, just to make sure it was done.”

“Oh god. Oh, honey, I…”. Maria looked at Michael, tears stinging her eyes.

He sat up, concerned, and gently touched her arm. “What is it?”

Maria shook her head. “Liz, I’m sorry. I am so sorry, but it will be okay. You’ll see. He’ll come around—“

“Maria, please,” Liz sobbed, desperately fighting her emotions. “Please,” she whispered, “I didn’t call to cry on your shoulder. I just thought, under the circumstances, someone should know where I am. Now, my phone number here is 414…276…8888… room 284. Did you get that?”

Maria swung her legs over the side of the bed and grabbed the notepad lying next to the phone. She hurriedly scribbled down the number. “Yeah. Yeah, I got it.”

“Remember, Maria. Don’t tell anyone where I am. Okay?”

Maria sighed. “Yeah, I remember. But, Liz, do you really think this is the best way to handle the situation? Why don’t you come here? We’ve got room and we haven’t seen each other in so long and… I just don’t think you should be alone right now.” Her voice broke on the last words.

Liz pretended not to hear her. “I’ll call you when I check out of the motel, okay? It might be a few days, I don’t know, but I’ll call. I love you.”

And she was gone. Maria listened to the phone disconnect and the steady buzz of the dial tone. She hung up the phone and tore the phone number from the notepad, clutching it in her hand.

Part 4 | Index | Part 6
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.