FanFic - Max/Liz
"Captivated by Darkness"
Part 28
by Ash
Disclaimer: Written purely for entertainment purposes. I have borrowed their characters, but have no intention of stealing any glory from the most excellent show on television. Simply a tribute.
Summary: After "Sexual Healing"; Mostly M/L and M/M, some M/T and others in background; a "T" storyline, so bail now if you don't want to walk the walk of the damned.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Dedication: to N/A, whose trilogies are awe-inspiring.
Max sat up groggily, wondering why it was so loud and dark in his room. His head ached. He squinted into the darkness, trying to find the familiar outline of a doorway, but there was nothing.

Nothing?

A feeling was growing over him that something was very wrong. Besides the very obvious fact that his head was killing him...

Something had definitely hit him, right there...

He felt the lump on the side of his head, wincing. Must've been a rock... a big rock. A rock?

Suddenly, his memory flooded back. Max climbed unsteadily to his feet, light springing up between his hands. In front of him was the pile of debris, shoved up against... no, exploded against the sides of the cave.

It was all rubble now, and in the middle was a wide path. Max followed the trail quickly, ignoring his dizziness.

A glow was coming from up ahead.

******

Michael lifted his head warily, coughing once again in the dust-filled air. Maria was quiet underneath him now, but still shaking.

He sat up, pulling her with him gently. "You okay," he asked, peering into her tear-filled eyes.

She nodded.

He took her hand and pulled her to her feet, looking around quickly.

Maria gasped. Across the cave from them, Isabel was lying on her side, Alex draped over her like a rag doll. Michael and Maria made their way over the rocks cautiously.

"Izzy? Alex," Michael's voice was tight as he bent over them.

They weren't moving.

Then Isabel stirred, moving Alex's body off of her. She opened her eyes and stared up into Michael's worried face. "I'm... I'm fine. What happened?"

"Alex," Maria's voice was weak with fear as she knelt beside him. "Alex?"

He was covered in dirt, a small rivulet of blood making its way down the side of his face.

Isabel turned over and sat up, frantic at the sight. She grabbed his shoulders and shook him. "Alex!"

He opened his eyes painfully, grimacing. "Not so loud... I'm okay. God, where is that light coming from?"

Michael sat back on his heels, suddenly realizing that there was a glow lighting the cave, getting brighter by the second. He whirled around to find the source. And he was in no way prepared for what he saw.

Liz Parker stood there, wearing a sinister smile and practically nothing else.

And the light was glowing from her body...

******

Eddie was seriously beginning to doubt his sanity. Not only could he not remember why his brain felt like it had been soft-scrambled, but he couldn't even remember why he was in the woods to begin with. Not since his vision quest had he been this confused. And that had been because he hadn't eaten in a week. At the memory, Eddie got up and sent a quick prayer to his spirit guide.

He looked around, his eyes coming to rest on a nearby path.

It was familiar to him. It was one that would take him to... River Dog's cave. Eddie paused. The cave... yes... Somebody had come up to him, in front of the cave.

That was the last thing he remembered... And now he was a good ten minutes' walk away. He frowned.

There was a reason he was going there.... something important... and somebody obviously didn't want him there.

Liz! The name jumped out at him.

Eddie swore under his breath and took off at a run. He had to hurry.

******

Michael stood to his feet in shock.

Maria pulled her eyes away from Alex and gasped. "Liz? What are you doing here," Maria quickly stood and began to walk towards her.

Michael pulled Maria back.

"Michael! What?"

Isabel stood next to them. "Maria, she's glowing. That's not Liz."

"That's coming from her," Maria asked, fighting to keep from being hysterical. "Okay, the bear is Nasedo. So... who the hell is she?"

Alex's voice came from behind them as he slowly came forward, hand to his head. "That's Tess. And I don't suppose you would... uh, consider putting more clothes on my friend's body, would you," he asked her with a pained smile.

At her name, Liz/Tess walked slowly forward, smiling playfully. "So, you figured it all out, Alex. Bravo. Too bad it's too late. There's no going back now. For any of you."

Maria glanced up at Michael, trying to see if Liz's mostly unclothed body had any effect on him at all.

Michael narrowed his eyes and smirked at Tess' words. "Wanna' bet?"

Isabel stepped forward. "Where's Max," she said, her voice strained.

Tess lost her smile. "That's all you have to say to me? Now that you know the truth, I don't even get an 'I'm sorry your life was cut dramatically short, Tess.' Not even a hint of sorrow that I'm DEAD?"

Michael and Isabel exchanged glances. "My condolences. Now move out of the way, Tess," Michael warned her as he stepped forward menacingly.

She sauntered toward them. "Fine, okay..." a little half-smile found its way across her face.

Then she stopped. Her eyes narrowed. "You first."

Before they could move, she flung out her hands, sending a shockwave spinning at them. All four of them found themselves hurtling back through space, then gasping for breath as the wind was knocked out of them. Michael clutched at his chest, trying not to panic. He was vaguely aware of a brown blur that passed by him, the fur just brushing against his skin, the hot, pungent smell of a beast acrid in his nose. The bear-! Liz screamed and there was a scuffling sound, then silence.

By the time Michael had gotten control of his breathing again, a shout rang through the cave. "NOooo!"

It was Max.

Michael sat up and squinted into the fading light. He could see a huge, bulky shape bent over Liz's prone form. The bear had attacked; its huge jaws were buried deep in her neck. Michael felt his stomach rise up and he bent over, fighting the nausea. Wiping his hand across his mouth, he tried, but just couldn't make himself move toward her. How could Liz survive that? She couldn't...

Suddenly, Michael realized Max was yelling to him, his voice ragged with emotion. Max was gripping at the bear's jaws, trying to force the bear's teeth apart. Michael finally managed to go forward just as the glow from Liz's body went completely out.

Part 27 | Index | Part 29
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.