FanFic - Max/Liz
"By Your Side"
Part 5
by RoswellBeliever
Disclaimer: I own absolutely nothing having to do with anything Roswell or the WB. I wish I owned Jason Behr though...that would be nice... :oP Also, I did not write, nor do I own the song "By Your Side" by Sade. I'm just borrowing it! :o)
Summary: This is a story for anyone who is a true Roswell believer and die hard supporter of Max and Liz!!! I don't want to give anything away so that's all I'm going to say!!! However, my story takes place after the episode "Max in the City".
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG
Authors Note: If anyone has any comments about this story, PLEASE E-MAIL ME!!! Even if you hate my story and just want to tell me everything that is wrong with it, please do so! I would love to hear any feedback at all!!! I need to know if this story totally sux or if it is good!!! Thanks so much guys!!!
The men were both staring at Liz now. One still stood by the window where he had just closed the blinds, and the other had taken a seat behind Mr. Green's desk, as if he was in his own office. They both looked surprisingly alike: both tall, and fairly thin, with long faces and short, dark hair. Neither one of them were attractive to Liz.

'What do I do? What do I do?! Do I pretend like I don't know what they are talking about? Or do I just give in and figure out what they want? What would Max do?' Liz's thoughts were screaming so loud in her head she almost wondered if the two men could hear.

"Ms. Parker? Did you hear me?" the man standing by the blinds was looking at her oddly.

"Um, what did you say?" Liz asked, trying her best to sound and look confused (she had decided that Max would have acted like he didn't know what they were talking about).

"I said, Ms. Parker, that we-" he paused, "Agent Phillipps," he gestured at the man sitting down, "and myself, Agent Smith, are from the FBI Special Unit."

"What's that?" Liz asked opening her eyes wide, still trying to act as confused as possible.

"A division of the FBI assigned to investigate possible estra-terrestrial beings living on earth; but I'm sure you know who we are, Ms. Parker," Agent Phillipps answered her.

'Maybe my acting wasn't as good as I thought...' This was going to be much harder than Liz had anticipated. "I-I don't know who you are," Liz inwardly cursed herself for sounding and looking as nervous as she was.

"Ms. Parker, this would be much easier and much faster if you didn't lie to us. You know who we are, and so do your friends," Agent Smith retoreted, sounding a little annoyed.

Liz swallowed and didn't say a word. Agent Smith moved closer to the desk in the middle of the room and sat down on edge as he began to speak.

"As I'm sure you also know, the Special Unit was dissolved following a non-conclusive trial on the existence of cadmium-x. Mysteriously, all official documents belonging to and involving the FBI's Special Unit were somehow lost. In addition, the chief of the Special Unit, Agent Peirce has gone missing, and was last seen here, in Roswell."

Liz's mind was again racing. 'No! They weren't supposed to know about that! Nasedo said it was taken care of!'

Agent Phillipps now joined in. "However, after extensive investigation into the final actions of Agent Peirce, it has been concluded that he was not of sound mind, and therefore cannot be held responsible for any action as final chief of the Special Unit, including his persistence in recommending to the FBI the immediate dissolvement of the Special Unit."

Liz was hanging on their every word, praying they wouldn't say what she was almost positive they would.

"Therefore, the FBI has made the decision that there is still need for the Special Unit, and I, the new Chief of the Special Unit, and my second in command, Agent Phillipps, have been sent to Roswell on assignment for as long a time as needed for the immediate capture of Maxwell Evans, Isabel Evans, and Michael Guerin."

Liz's heart had almost stopped beating now. She tried to speak but no words could come out. She stepped forward and fell into one of the chairs that sat in front of the desk.

"I know, this must be quite a surprise for you, Ms. Parker," Agent Phillipps said, as if he was talking about the weather.

'You have no idea..." Liz was lost in thought.

"And I'm sure you're wondering why we called you here," Agent Smith said with a daunting smile on his face. Liz's ears perked up at his comment.

"Ms. Parker, we know about Max Evans. We know about his powers and there is no way possible that we could capture him without his using his powers on us and murdering us, just like we are sure he murdered Agent Peirce."

Liz's mouth dropped opened. How did they know all of this? How could they know everything if Nasedo had destroyed the documents belonging to the Special Unit?

Agent Phillipps picked up where he left off, "That's where you come in, Liz, is it?" she nodded slowly. "You are the human Max trusts most. We know about how he trusted you with his secret. Enough to heal you in a public diner and risk his and two other's lives," Agent Phillipps sat forward and smiled coyly at Liz, who was now going through full fledged shock.

Liz couldn't even think straight. They were talking about Max as if he was a completely different species! And maybe some part of him was, but did they have any idea that he had a human side as well? They saw him as if he was a killer or a threat to humanity!

"Ms. Parker, we need you to lure Max Evans to us," Agent Smith stated frankly.

"No!" Liz impulsively said loudly. The two men looked shocked that she would even disagree to such a ploy.

Agent Smith took a deep breath and began speaking, "I was afraid you would resist. Ms. Parker, perhaps you don't understand."

Why did they keep calling her Ms. Parker? It felt like a cheezy Dick Tracy movie.

"If you don't do exactly what we say and bring Max Evans to us, along with his sister and cohort Michael Guerin, there will be consequences."

Liz didn't say a word but questioned with her eyes.

"Did Max ever tell you about his experiences with Agent Peirce, at a certain compound?"

Liz's heart sank. She knew exactly what they were talking about. Liz had seen flashes when she had kissed Max. It was horrible. It had scarred Max for life. Liz knew already what they were hinting. She dropped her eyes to the ground in understanding.

"Ms. Parker, just think about it. Max Evans is a murderer, and a threat to the citizens of any community he, Isabel, and Michael are a part of. You may think they are your friends, but they are not. Now if you make the decision to stand by them, there will be consequences. In case you have forgotten, you yourself could be considered one of them."

Liz jerked her head up suddenly.

"Oh yes, Ms. Parker. You were saved in the Crashdown that day and there is no telling what Max Evans did to you," Agent Smith stood up and casually slipped his hands into his pockets.

"Just think about Liz. We feel we have made an offer that is more than fair to you. If you should decide to cooperate with us, the FBI will leave you alone and assure you protection for the rest of you and your family's life."

Liz couldn't believe what she was hearing. They wanted to cut a deal! Did they not understand the connection between Max and Liz? 'Of course they don't, idiot,' Liz cursed herself. There was a pause and a silence in the room.

"That is all we will tell you today, Ms. Parker. We have given you much to think about. We'll be in touch."

With that, the two men stood up and left the room. But Liz remained, still thinking about what they had told her.

Part 4 | Index | Part 6
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.