FanFic - Max/Liz
"Bikini Sunshine"
Part 2
by Ash
Disclaimer: Yeah, well, I don't know you Jason, or Melinda, or the great WB people who do Roswell, but my hat is off to you. And my pen is on paper because of you. I hope you enjoy my modest attempt at Roswell Fiction. Please know that I intend no disrespect or infringement. You guys own the world and I'm just renting a small space of my own and paying with a small bit of sweat!
Summary: Taking place after Destiny, in the middle of the summer from hell.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Huge apologies to Christina, who has a similar story which I knew nothing about until last night, AFTER this was already written... ooops! But you know the old saying... "writer's of a feather..."

This is posted in honor of Ringmaster Joey, who has me jumping through hoops because I'm such a StrawBEHRry girl.... Hope you enjoy!

Liz tossed a triumphant glance toward Maria and Alex (getting a big grin and "thumbs up" in return) and kept walking. She hadn't taken two steps when she heard a strangled whisper behind her, "Liz?"

The emotion in Max's voice brought her to a halt. She had forgotten, just for a moment, who she was dealing with. And the pain of the separation came flooding back to her. Not twice. No. She couldn't walk away twice. Without another thought, she turned and walked back to him. She knew his eyes were on her but she kept hers averted, a slight blush stealing across her cheeks.

Hearing a wolf whistle from somewhere behind her, she quickly sat down on the edge of the pool. Maybe Maria could pull off having a real life conversation while the entire world was staring at her butt, but not Liz. She took a deep breath and kept her eyes on the sparkling water.

Suddenly, Max was standing right where she had been looking. To be exact, his muscular, tan chest was now blocking her view of the water. And her blush deepened. "Liz," Max said softly.

She pulled her glance off his body and looked up at his face. He was standing close, so close that he could easily reach out and touch her leg. And god, did she wish he would. But he seemed frozen, almost afraid to move as their eyes finally met... She was suddenly aware of the sun again, beating down on them. She could feel the cool water on her ankles and calves and the rough cement underneath her. That thong... she barely felt like she had any clothes on at all.

And then Max slid his eyes downward as he brushed the back of her calf with one finger. Liz closed her eyes and shivered. The touch was heightened to pure ectasy by the mere absence of it over the last months. His finger made a trail of fire on her skin and left her breathing ragged. Then she opened her eyes to see him watching her. As they gazed at each other, Liz saw him swallow. He stepped in closer and his torso was now resting slightly against her legs. She had to fight everything in her not to part her legs and welcome him in an intimate embrace. There were people all around...

Max slowly slid his hands up both of her calves this time, his touch feather-light and almost reverent. Again, Liz fought to keep from responding too much, but a sigh escaped her as her head tilted back slightly. God, she had been so determined to not let him get to her...

"Liz," her name came out from his lips like a moan. "I can't - I can't do this anymore." She opened her eyes in surprise.

"I know why you did what you did," he leaned in, his hazel eyes burning into her. "But I can't do anything without you. And seeing you like this..."

Liz was melting, from his nearness, his sweetness and his passion. But there was a reason she couldn't...

"Wait," she closed her eyes and threw her hands up in between them. "I can't think."

"Don't think," Max said in a husky voice. "You've thought this through too much; I know you. Just feel. What does your heart tell you?"

She opened her eyes again and averted them as she thought. "I love you, you know that. But leaving you to your destiny was the right thing to do, wasn't it," she suddenly felt confused. Had she been the one keeping them apart?

"Yes, it was. I've never been so miserable in my life, but I needed time alone... to find out what my mother's message meant to us, all of us. It was... terrible to see you walk away like that. And I knew," he reached out and stoked her cheek lightly. "I knew how much it hurt you. I never doubted that, or your motives. But I had to be just as selfless as you were. I had to stay away for so many reasons: to give you time to think this through, give me time to deal with Tess, and time to give our people undivided attention while we worked out plans for their freedom."

Liz's mind lapped up his words eagerly. Deal with Tess?

"Liz, it's been long enough. Any longer and I won't be able to continue. I need you, Liz," his hand cupped her cheek gently as his eyes searched hers.

"And Tess," she asked hesitantly.

"Tess... knows how I feel," he answered. Her heart soared and a small smile insinutated itself on her lips. So he had stayed away just for a time, to make sure of everything before - before what?

"So what happens now? Are you - going back?"

"No, not yet. But know this - " A loud splash broke them apart as a kid jumped in right beside them. They looked over at him, then at each other in surprise. They were still at the pool? Then a larger black boy screamed bloody murder and did a cannonball, splashing everyone within 20 feet.

"Wait a minute," Max muttered as he climbed out and held his hand out to Liz as she wiped the water out of her eyes. She took his hand and he gently pulled her to her feet.

"Let's go out to the Jeep." His voice was husky as he led her by the hand over to Alex and Maria. His hand was so warm and strong. She was enjoying the touch so much that it embarassed her. She couldn't even meet their eyes.

"Maria, Alex," Max said quietly. Liz felt him stop and bend over quickly. Then she felt a towel wrapped around her and she jerked her face to see his expression. A faint flush was on his cheeks.

"Let's go." Liz felt a slow burn course up her cheeks. My god, what had she been thinking, wearing this thing. It must embarass him...

"Sorry," she mumbled as he led her away. He stopped short and leaned over until she looked into his eyes.

"No, the towel is for me, because I want to settle things before... anything else, okay?" Liz felt the flush back off a little bit and a small smile curved her lips.

"Okay." And they walked on. Of course, Liz should have known the other W. Roswell boys would not be nearly as polite about it. The catcalls and whistles thrown in their direction made Liz want to crawl under the sidewalk.

"Take that damn towel off, Parker!"

"What a tease!" Liz speared Greg Meier with a contemptuous look, but Max halted dead in his tracks. His jaw muscles were working hard and Liz knew then how much this was bothering him.

Liz grabbed his arm, "No, Max." But he was already turning to the crowd of jocks, Kyle among them. He was watching Max with wide eyes, ignoring the jokes and rude comments being shared at the table. Liz realized with a sinking heart that Kyle was afraid of Max, afraid of his powers. And taking a look at Max herself, Liz could easily put herself in Kyle's shoes.

Max was very intimidating, his six foot frame of lean muscles tense with anger. He was levelling them with dark, furious eyes, daring them to say another word. His fists were clenched and trembling with outrage that was only growing by the second as the jocks stood and walked toward them.

"What's wrong, Evans, don't you want Liz to spread her love around." Liz spared them only a glance before jumping in front of Max, her back to him, effectively halting his movement toward the table. He hissed her name but let himself be held back by her. Liz looked at the table of guys with contempt. Then she dropped the towel from around her body, noting without response the shocked but pleased expressions among them. She smiled languidly at them before saying in a husky voice, "Eat your hearts out." Then she slowly and deliberately turned her back on them, now facing Max.

She accepted the appreciative sounds behind her and looked up into Max's eyes, still seething with anger. "Don't worry, I'm all yours," she whispered.

Max glanced back up at the crowd of guys, but Liz's hand against his cheek pulled his gaze back to her. And then she saw as he lost himself in her nearness. She pressed into him further, feeling the warm softness of those muscles against her. The world around them began to disappear and she sighed into his chest, loving the smell of hot skin and the slight muskiness of sweat. She reached out with her tongue and licked his skin. He sucked in a quick breath. It shocked Liz almost as much as it did him, but she loved the salty, soft taste of him. And she enjoyed the fact that nobody else knew she had done it. She looked back up at him just in time to see Max lower his lips to hers and she forgot about everyone else. His tongue slid past her lips and she groaned at the feel of it in her mouth. Apparently he forgot where he was, too, because his hands on her back were dipping lower and lower in their caresses. When one hand gently slid down around her bottom, neither of them could ignore the sudden clamour from the peanut gallery.

"Yeah, Evans, get you a piece of 'dat!" Liz could care less who said what, but she saw something like pride in Max's eyes when he pulled away slightly. His hand came back up to rest on her hip, and she sighed as she came back down slowly.

"Sorry," Max mumbled, but not looking in the least bit sorry.

"It's the bathing suit, right," Liz teased him.

"No, actually, it's who's inside the bathing suit," hesaid with serious eyes. "You don't have to wear something like this to get my attention, Liz."

Liz tipped her head and looked away. "So you don't like it?"

"I didn't say that," Max said quickly. "You look.... absolutely..." Then he put a finger under her chin and lifted her face until she looked at him. "Words fail me," he whispered intently, his dark eyes swimming with desire.

For her.

Liz smiled as he bent over and picked up the towel, once again draping her form in it.

"Thanks," she whispered. "Now, about that trip to the Jeep..." Max put an arm around her shoulders and they walked toward the gate.

"Hey, Evans," Kyle's voice came from behind them. Max and Liz turned around in surprise. "Better watch out for that right hook," Kyle said with a smirk.

Max looked at Liz in surprise. She didn't deny anything. She just smiled and laughed. God, Maria had actually been right for once. As they exited the gate, she turned to see Michael rubbing suntan oil on Maria. Her breath caught in her chest. What about Alex? He was lying in a pool chair beside Isabel. They weren't touching, but Liz could make out a smile on his face.

Thank God.

Max pulled at her hand and shared a smile with her; he had seen them, too. Liz moved in closer to Max as they headed for the Jeep. She sighed and smiled just a little. Wonder what leather interior feels like under a thong?

The End

Part 1 | Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.