FanFic - Max/Liz
"August and Everything After"
Part 11
by Anunaki
Disclaimer: Same as always.
Summary: My own version of what happens after destiny.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG
The Crashdown was quickly becoming a madhouse. Athletic young men were streaming in, roughhousing playfully and jockeying for seats. The traditional dinner at the Crashdown after the first basketball practice of the school year. Maria considered this one of the few perks of working at the Crashdown, but this year instead of oogling the eye-candy her attention was focused on the door. Finally Kyle appeared, pausing hesitantly in the doorway. Maria pushed her drink orders off on Helen and headed straight towards the door. "Kyle, can I talk to you for a minute? Please, it's important."

He looked around the cafe. "Are any of your friends around?"

"No." Maria was glad that she had been able to persuade Michael to trade shifts with Jose. He wouldn't approve of this, and with him here Kyle may not have even walked in the door.

"Is it about them?"

She pushed forward through the swinging doors. "Yes." She held on tightly to his jacket to stop him from heading back out the door. "Kyle, please, just hear me out. Then I promise, if you want you will never have to speak to me, or them, again."

Kyle hesitated, then sat down on the couch.

Maria checked to see that Jose was busy filling orders, then sat down next to Kyle and began speaking quietly. "I know how weird you feel right now. I went through it, too, when I found out. I had nightmares. I didn't want them anywhere near me. But then I began to realize they're scared, too. They have no idea about who they are or where they came from. And they constantly have to hide what they can do, or they'll be caged up like animals for study, or worse."

"Remember in third grade when we had to learn square-dancing, and Bobby Atkins stepped on Isabel's skirt and it ripped off? She ran to the bathroom and refused to come out until her mother came to get her. Or fifth grade play day? Our class was playing tug-of-war with Mr. Lyons class. Michael refused to participate until it was clear our class was going to lose, then he jumped in and after we won he ran around the other kids in the mud screaming like a madman. They haven't changed. They're still the kids you've gone to school with your whole life."

"Look, at the risk of making you feel even more like you've suddenly fallen into a bad 50's alien flick, I have to say that this really could be a matter of life or death. Theirs, and sinc Max healed you, yours now, too. When Max healed you, he may have changed you. It's very important that they know whether they did or not. And they can't unless you help them. I don't know you that well, but I do know that Liz never would have gotten involved with you if you weren't the kind of person willing to help someone who needed you, no matter who they were. I know this is a lot to adjust to, but at least think about it."

Her peace said, she walked back out to the dining room with Kyle trailing after. She was surprised when the door opened to the sound of clapping and hooting. Somewhere the chant of "Kyle, Kyle" began and it slowly began to grow. She was glad that Kyle seemed just as embarrassed as she was. "I swear, if you tell anybody that we did anything more than talk back there, I'll make sure that what we were talking about will be the last of your worries."

"Relax, they're just having some fun. They know nothing would go on between us."

Maria was confused over whether she felt more offended or relieved by that comment, but quickly forgot about it as Kyle picked her up. Holding her like a baby, he planted a sloppy, dramatic kiss on her cheek. The chanting broke up into whistles and laughter. Maria had learned a few things last year, and knew that there was no use arguing with a pack of hyped-up teenage boys. The best way to get this to blow over was to go along with the joke. She did her best Marilyn Monroe giggle and beauty pageant wave. Quickly tiring of the charade, she turned back to the soda fountain and barely caught a glimpse of Michael through the window before he headed on down the street.

Part 10 | Index | Part 12
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.