FanFic - Max/Liz
"A Stitch in Time - Revised"
Part 28
by Lynda
Disclaimer: Dear Ms. Metz and Mr. Katims, can Max and the others come to my house to play? I'll try to have them back in time for dinner. Thanks, loon.
Summary: AU Fic. No spoilers. Max had thought just being an alien would fulfil the 'weirdness quotient' for his whole life, but now he had to cope with the concept of aliens from the future. And not just 'good' aliens from the future. There was a whole organization of 'bad' aliens from the future and he, Isabel and Michael had been recruited to help stop them.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Dedication: to Addison, my first fan.
Max opened his eyes and met Maria's worried ones. He took a shuddering breath and rubbed his face in frustration. "East. She's still east of us."

"One good thing about Colorado," Alex spoke up, "there aren't that many roads in the mountains. I-70 seems to be it, if he's heading east from here."

Gregory had the metal case open and was working with some instruments that were inside. "I'm not getting readings indicating that the portal is open."

Max closed his eyes again and tried to maintain the link he had with Liz. He must not lose her. He'd try the dream plane again shortly. Max was perplexed about the experience in Liz's dream orb. He didn't quite understand Dave's presence. He was dead so obviously Liz was dreaming him. Whatever, Max was grateful for his help in protecting Liz.

They were coming into Denver and the congestion of city traffic was causing slowdowns. Alex kept on 1-70 and was soon in the middle of town and still headed east. Max tried to get a better link with Liz and was shocked to hear her voice very faintly. **Max. They're using the same place.**

**Liz! Hang on, sweetheart, we're coming!** He tried to 'path her but didn't know if she was receiving him. He sat up straight and told Alex how to get to the racquetball club where the first raid took place. What a stroke of luck for them. "Gregory, Liz said they're using the same place as the first raid. Is there any way we can get some backup ASAP? The change in plans might cause enough confusion that we might be able to rescue Liz as well as capture some of the dissidents."

"I'll contact the ship. This might be the break we've been needing." He consulted the instrument in the case on his lap. "The portal is open!"

Max leaned forward and gave Alex directions to the racquetball club then listened as Gregory talked into his communicator. It sounded like the future Al'Centrans were finally ready to make a big move. Max began to worry that Liz would be hurt in the action. Gregory was talking about storming the house the dissidents had near the portal and then going through the portal to retake the generation ship.

"Max." Gregory paused his conversation with someone on the ship and leaned around toward the rear of the jeep. "How close is the scout ship to the house?"

"Approximately two miles." Max replied and Gregory went back to his planning. "Alex," Max said. "It will take about 15 minutes to get to the racquetball club, are you okay with the directions?" Alex nodded, his eyes on the road as he drove. "I'm going to try to contact Liz again."

Max leaned back again, cradling Liz's quilt to help him make a strong contact. **Liz. Please answer if you can hear me.** He waited a few minutes and when he received no answer he dropped into the dream plane. Her orb was hovering nearby like it was waiting for him. He enlarged it and stepped inside. "Liz! It's Max. Where are you?"

The mist swirled and Liz ran into his arms. "Oh Max. I'm so scared. He's keeping me tied up and he just sedated me again."

Max tightened his embrace and when that wasn't enough for him he lifted her into his arms. Oh, how he wished he could just step back into the real world and his love, his mate would still be in his arms. "Are you okay? Did he hurt you? We're almost there. Can you tell me exactly where they're keeping you?"

Liz shook her head. "We're at the same house as before but there are no other women captives that I've seen."

The mist in Liz's dream orb swirled violently and she actually faded from his arms for a moment. "Liz!" Then she was back. "Liz, what's happening?"

Liz didn't answer. She raised her head and looked at Max. "Max. This is important. When I was at my lawyer's office I signed a paper giving my permission for you three to stay at my house and draw on my accounts. Max, I…"

"Liz!" With a shock that echoed to the depths of his heart, Max was suddenly standing alone in the dream plane. Returning to the reality of Liz's jeep, he opened his eyes and quickly sat up. "Something is happening! We need to get Liz out of there NOW.

Gregory's head flew up and he blurted out, "The portal! It's gone!"

Alex whipped the jeep into the parking lot of the racquetball club parked it. He spun around in his seat and demanded, "What now, Max."

Max pushed on the back on Gregory's seat. "Get out. I'm driving up to the house now. Something has happened to Liz!"

"No, Max. Let me check in with the ship first!"

Max pushed harder. "NO, damn it, Gregory. I'm going up there. Get out of my way right now!"

Alex got out of the jeep and pushed his seat forward. "Maria, please get out so Max can get into the front seat." He stared at Gregory as he said it and offered Maria his hand to steady her. She accepted and exited the jeep. Max followed and got out the driver's door. He was just getting back in when Gregory reached over and removed the keys from the ignition.

Gregory had been listening on his communicator since his announcement about the portal. He reached over and put his hand on Max's arm. "Max. There is no one at the house or at the portal. My ship had completed enough repairs that they were able to transport the dissidents that didn't escape through the portal up to the ship. They are under confinement as we speak."

Max's intense look did not lighten. "Where is Liz? Is she on the ship, too?"

"I'm checking on that right now." Gregory spoke into his communicator and waited for the answer.

When Gregory bowed his head and closed his eyes Max knew the answer. He gripped the steering wheel with both hands and tried to breathe. He closed his eyes and reached out with all his power, trying for even the slightest contact with Liz. Nothing.

But wait. He knew in his heart that she was not dead, her special place there was still occupied. She was just too far away to be sensed any other way.

Max opened his eyes and turned to Gregory to demand that he be taken up to the ship so he could go with them and search for the generation ship.

But Gregory spoke before he could get a word out. "They just received a signal from the locator beacon! Let's get to the scout ship."

Max felt a rush of hope pour through him. He turned to Alex and Maria. "It would be best if you two stayed here. Take Liz's jeep and go back to her house." He reached out and embraced them in a hug. His voice wasn't steady when he told them about the legal paper that Liz signed just before she was kidnapped.

"Oh my god. It was one of her 'feelings,' wasn't it, Max." Maria's eyes filled with more tears.

"Take care of yourself, Max and all four of you come back safe to us." Alex was trying to maintain his composure but this sudden turn of events made his worry for Isabel and all of them flare up. He put his arms around Maria and they watched Max and Gregory run towards the woods where the scout ship was concealed.

Part 27 | Index | Part 29
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.