FanFic - Max/Liz
"A Stitch in Time - Revised"
Part 26
by Lynda
Disclaimer: Dear Ms. Metz and Mr. Katims, can Max and the others come to my house to play? I'll try to have them back in time for dinner. Thanks, loon.
Summary: AU Fic. No spoilers. Max had thought just being an alien would fulfil the 'weirdness quotient' for his whole life, but now he had to cope with the concept of aliens from the future. And not just 'good' aliens from the future. There was a whole organization of 'bad' aliens from the future and he, Isabel and Michael had been recruited to help stop them.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Dedication: to Addison, my first fan.
Monday arrived amid cloudy skies threatening rain. Max woke up and went out on the deck to greet the day. "Morning, Max." Liz was seated in her rocker, freshly dressed and showered.

"Your solar hair dryer is broken today, it seems." Max walked over for a good morning kiss. He ran his hands over her wet hair and used his powers to dry it.

"Thank you, Max." Liz smiled shyly up at him. "I don't mind the clouds, though. I love the way they drape over the tops of the mountains like pieces of quilt batting." She lifted her gaze to mountains, smiling. "What are your plans for today?

Max sat down in front of her and leaned back against the railing. "Well, baring unforeseen events Alex and I plan to integrate the files he 'acquired' with our existing database. It's tedious work; the differences between the system they came from and ours are too extreme for us to just dump them together. We have to go over it item by item."

"I'd offer to help but I have a desk load of paperwork to plow through."

"Sounds like a Monday. Back to the old grind." He grinned at her.

"I'm going to get an early start. Meet you downstairs later." Liz stood up, pausing to give the mountains one last admiring look, then went inside. Max went to take his shower. The view wasn't nearly as appealing now that Liz was gone.

Max entered the dining room to find Maria and Alex lingering over their breakfast. They were laughing over a newspaper article in Alex was reading from his laptop. It was all about the healthy percentage of people living in Colorado who believed aliens were living among us.

"So, Max. Maybe you should stay here in this state. You'll be right at home," teased Alex.

"Oh, I don't know about that. There just might be other things that make Colorado more attractive, huh, Max?" Maria asked innocently.

Max laughed with them and went to find Liz. Their laughter followed him down the hall. He peeked into her office and found her pouring over one of the legal documents he'd noticed the other day.

"Having fun?" Judging from her serious expression, he knew she wasn't.

Liz made a face at Max and confided, "Translating lawyer speech is not one of my favorite activities."

"Want help?"

Her face brightened and she handed him the next one on her stack and pulled a chair up for him. "Welcome to the fairy godmother business. I bought Denny's house and am having it restored. I plan to turn it into kind of a youth/community center complete with the latest computer equipment and free tutors. 'The Harrison House' sounds like a good name, don't you think? We need to check these papers and make sure there is nothing there that will bite us."

Max glanced through the papers and whistled, "These are hefty amounts."

Liz shrugged, unconcerned. "This place is paid for and I really don't need much money to keep me and my hobbies going. The interest on my investments keeps accumulating and that's my fairy godmother money." She grinned happily. "And Christmas is a blast!"

"How do you keep your anonymity?" Max had to chuckle at her enthusiasm.

"We're really sneaky. It's half the fun." Liz smiled at Max then mock frowned at him. "But we have to get these done. Back to work."

"Slave driver." He threw her a kiss and obeyed. They worked all morning with occasional breaks for smoochies. They decided that it made the work more behrable.

Shortly after noon Maria stuck her head in and announced lunch. "I've fixed a nutritious and well balanced lunch for you both and then I recommend and will even insist on a nap. I want you both to be full of energy for the dreamwalking tonight. I have a date with a certain spiky haired alien and I am positively vibrating with anticipation!"

And in the end she had her way except they were successful in delaying their nap until late afternoon after they finished their work. After dinner they were sitting in the living room occupying themselves telling Liz stories about the pod squad, as Maria called them, and some of their shared adventures in high school and college.

Maria had been lying on the living room floor for the last hour. "I'm just getting in the mood, don't mind me," she kept assuring her friends. She refused to get up no matter how much Alex teased her. Finally it was time for the dreamwalk. "Assume your positions!" Maria hollered with glee.

Laughing at her antics, Alex reclined beside her, taking her hand and telling Max, "Knock me out quickly before Maria does!"

Max placed Maria and Alex into a deep sleep and went over to Liz. He framed her face with both hands and touched foreheads. He loved looking into her eyes. "Ready?" he asked softly.

"Always," Liz said softly.

Max reached down and took her slender body into his arms and sat them down near Maria and Alex. Liz nestled in and leaned her head back on Max's shoulder so she could look him in the eyes. She smiled up at him and let her love shine out. Max returned her look and was overwhelmed with emotion. He leaned down and kissed his mate, so grateful he had found her at last. His aura radiated pure love, was met with the love in hers and the two auras merged and surrounded them. He linked up and dropped into the dream plane.

Isabel was waiting. He embraced her and asked where Michael was. Isabel said, "He should be here any minute. Oh, Max. We've made some fantastic discoveries. Some of the original Al'Centrans stayed here on the generation ship. The dissidents were totally surprised and they don't have control of large portions of the ship. Michael is trying to make contact with them. We're sure they will protect the women captives if we can get them to them." She looked up. "Here comes Michael."

"Maxwell! It's good to see you. There's only four more days before they open the portal for the next raid. I think I'll be able to plant that damned beacon soon, but it's turning out to be far more difficult than we thought it would be. Max, I don't think we can prevent the next raid." He looked distraught.

Max and Isabel put their arms on his shoulders. "Michael. You're doing everything possible. And it's because of you that the captive women, yours truly included, are as safe as possible given the circumstances." Isabel brushed his spiky hair in affection and gratitude.

"Michael. I have full confidence in you. We'll get this done. Do you have any idea where the next raid will take place?"

"Not a clue. Max, what's up with Gregory and his group? There is something going on here among the dissident's leaders. I think they're related, but I'm not able to get a lead on it. Watch your back."

Max brought their meeting to a close. "Thanks, Michael. Watch yours, too. Isabel, Alex will be here in person Wednesday night. But tonight I’m sure he'll be dreaming of you…" He smiled at the expression on his sister's face. They were so much in love and it showed. "Michael, I believe a very anxious Maria is waiting not very patiently. We'll hold the connection as long as possible." He grinned at him and brought Maria into the dream plane.

"Michael!!!!" Maria flew through the mist and jumped into his arms. Isabel and Max laughed at their uninhibited greeting and left them alone.

He returned to the reality of Liz in his arms. She smiled at him when he opened his eyes. "Let's give Maria as long as possible, Max. She and Michael really need some time together," Liz pleaded with Max.

Max shot her a teasing look. "You'll have to do as I say, just like last time."

"Whatever you say, Max." She shut her eyes and rested her head on his shoulder, reaching deep within her to supply energy to help sustain Maria's visit to the dream plane. She drew on resources she didn't knew she had, giving selflessly and trying to maintain consciousness at the same time. Just when blackness was closing in on all sides she felt the link weaken and break. She gave a shuddering sigh and kept her eyes closed, too weak to do anything but lean against Max's muscular chest. She could hear his strong heart beating and knew that it beat for her.

Max was aware just how drained Liz was. He gently lowered her to the floor. "Give me a minute to cover them up. They'll dream happy dreams tonight." He smiled at his friends and covered them up.

Then he picked Liz up and carried her upstairs. He led her to the bathroom, carrying her nightgown for her and left her to get ready. By the time she staggered out of the bathroom he was down to his boxers and t-shirt, ready to help her into bed. He lifted her into his arms and placed her in bed. He turned out the light and joined her, wrapping her in his protective embrace. She snuggled in closer and was instantly asleep. Max kissed the top of her head and was soon asleep himself.

=====

Liz was dreaming about Dave. She could feel his presence. Oh god, she could feel her son so clearly. It was real. It was. She could feel him like she always could before he died. Could a mother's love reach all the way to heaven?

Reality hit like a bucket of icy water. Her son was dead. He burned to death in a fire. She knew this was true— she'd felt him burn and die. She'd had him for such a short time. Dave's incredible potential had been wasted. He had lived for such a brief time. Just seventeen fleeting years. God, she missed him so much.

Liz sat upright in bed. Each time she had this dream it was like losing him all over again. Her whole body was trembling with the tears she was trying not to shed. She wrapped her arms tightly around herself in a vain attempt to ease the agony tearing her heart to shreds. Liz bent forward until her head rested on her knees and then the tears came.

Max wrapped his arms around Liz and drew her against him. He rocked her gently and rubbed her back, trying to offer comfort and support. His heart ached in sympathy.

Gradually her heartbreaking sobs quieted and she said in an almost inaudible broken voice, "Thank you, Max." He held her securely in his arms but it was a long time before either of them went back to sleep.

Part 25 | Index | Part 27
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.