Fanfic - Max/Liz
"A Present Unseen"
Part 60
by Meagzie
Disclaimer: I own nothing and am nothing but a lowly servant of my computer and endless hours of fanfic. (Ok, maybe not.) Ooo, but I do own Adam. Mine. Mine mine mine.
Summary: It's about two years after A Past Forgotten. Graduation is just around the corner, but so is trouble.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: R
Author's Note: Ok, I know I say this a lot and I talk too much as it is, but FEEDBACK. I need it... it keeps my blood pumping and my fingers typing. Please? Love you guys!
“Liz?” Max panted. He stopped and looked around at his surroundings. Everything looked the exact same as it did when they first started running. He was in a goddamn forest for fuck’s sake. All that encircled them was tree after fucking tree.

“Liz, love, I’m going to put you down, all right?” Max slowly eased Liz off his shoulder, but she was still wobbly on the ground. She clung to him, with her arms tightly around his neck. She laid her head on the high of his chest, hoping that the temporary stilling of movement would ease the pounding that throbbed endlessly in her head. It didn’t.

“Max,” Liz moaned. “It hurts.”

Max felt his heart tear to tiny pieces at her cry. He wanted more than anything to let her sit and rest, so he could heal the hammering in her head, but they didn’t have time. They’d been running almost nonstop for probably hours, he could imagine. His legs were getting achy and he knew they had been going around in circles. This forest couldn’t be that big.

“Liz, look at me,” Max whispered softly. Not without wincing, she slowly turned her head up to look him in the eye. A small smile greeted her, and she felt his hand cup the side of her head.

“Max,” Liz panted painfully. “We don’t have time.” Max just made a shushing noise and told her to relax.

His hand started to glow against her skin, letting Liz feel the warmth creep into her and reside over the fixed pounding. But as quickly as it had begun, it ended, with a less aching pounding returning. It was better, but not much.

“Thank you,” Liz whispered, easing her head back to his chest. Max kissed the crown of her head lightly, letting his hand travel down to her silky strands.

“I’m sorry,” he replied, with pain creeping into his voice. “I just can’t use all of my energy. We’ve got to keep going.” Liz just nodded her understanding.

Max stole a glance at his beauty, cursing himself for letting Liz get hurt. He ached for the night before when it was just the two of them, just loving each other. He needed her. He couldn’t imagine or fathom a life that’s not graced with Liz’s intelligence, beauty, kindness and love everyday. He just wanted to put that damn ring on her, and take her far from these damn problems that continually interrupted their damn chance at a peaceful life. Right about now, he couldn’t even fathom a life of royalty without Liz.

“Liz,” Max croaked. It was now or never. He needed to let her know how much he loved her, even if they were being chased and hunted down, even if she won’t even remember this later, even if he had to die to save her precious life.

Max cupped Liz’s head again, but with both of his hands this time. She stared up at him, wonderment and trust blazing through her eyes.

“I know this is probably the worst time ever, and you’ll probably kill me later for doing it at a time like this, but I have to tell you something.

“I love you. I love you like no one will ever love you again. You are the most amazing, beautiful creature to walk not just this planet, but other planets as well. I thank my lucky stars everyday and every night that you found me and love me for who I am. You will always be my love, my life, my beauty. Without you, I’m nothing but a waste of flesh condemned to crawl through this life feeling nothing but loneliness and hatred of myself.

“Liz, I promise you that I’ll never stop loving you and cherishing you until my dying day, and even after that. I have found you twice in two different lifetimes. I’ll find you again. Please, please, say that you’ll love me back.” Max reached into his pocket and pulled out a chain with a dangling ring hanging from it.

Liz gazed at the beauty of the ring, absolutely shocked. The pain and tortuous torment subsided momentarily, her heart filling with love beyond words. This wasn’t just a spur of the moment thing. He had this planned for some while now. He had a ring. A gorgeous, shining ring.

“I love you, Max. I will always love you.” Through her shimmering tears of joy, she smiled at him. A tender, loving smile that Max would save in his heart for the rest of his life.

Max slipped the chain over Liz’s head, and kissed her softly on the lips. “I put it on a chain because I didn’t know if you’d want to parade around with a ring on your beautiful finger, as much as I love all of your fingers. I love your hand too. And your hair. And you eyes. And… I just love all of you. Everything from your cute toes to each strand of your beautiful hair.” Liz nodded, unable to voice anything. She loved the chain, the ring, and most of all, Max.

He kissed her again, letting their lips linger just a moment longer. Max smiled at her lovingly one more time, before offering his hand.

“You ready?” Liz nodded again. Just as Max was about to help Liz get back up, he felt a searing, hot pain strike him in the middle of his back. Max instantly fell to the ground, slowly losing grip of consciousness.

Somewhere in the background Max heard Liz’s frightened whimpers and cries of his name. He wanted more than anything to find the strength to stand and just start running again, but he had no strength. Only burning pain.

“So we meet again, Zan,” Alex’s cocky voice echoed in Max’s ear. Max barely acknowledged Alex as he slowly stalked towards Max.

“Oh dear, did I hurt you? That’s too bad.” Alex outstretched his hand and aimed another bolt of throbbing pain at Max. Max’s breathing quickened and began to transform into desperate pants. And still, all he could hear were Liz’s whimpers for Max. He was failing her and she knew it.

“Now, as much as I’d love to sit and have a cup of coffee with you, I’ve got places to go, people to kill, your girlfriend to impregnate. Bye bye, Zan.” Alex snapped his fingers, and pointed to Liz.

“Grab her,” Alex commanded to one of the two soldiers behind him. Swiftly, the male soldier picked Liz up and violently threw her over his shoulder. Liz let out a strangled cry.

“You,” Alex ordered to the other soldier. “Kill Zan. Painfully slowly. I want the peasants of Antar to be able to hear him.” The soldier nodded, and Alex walked off, with Liz and the male soldier following quickly afterwards.

The remaining soldier rolled Max over, causing a groan from Max. The soldier gave Max a chuckle and bent down towards his body. Whispering in Max’s ear, the soldier stated tightly, “I’ve been waiting for this my entire life.”

Part 59 | Index | Part 61
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.