Fanfic - Max/Liz
"A Present Unseen"
Part 23
by Meagzie
Disclaimer: I own nothing and am nothing but a lowly servant of my computer and endless hours of fanfic. (Ok, maybe not.) Ooo, but I do own Adam. Mine. Mine mine mine.
Summary: It's about two years after A Past Forgotten. Graduation is just around the corner, but so is trouble.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: R
Author's Note: Ok, I know I say this a lot and I talk too much as it is, but FEEDBACK. I need it... it keeps my blood pumping and my fingers typing. Please? Love you guys!
Liz awoke to the glowing sun warning the world of its presence. Her body hummed blissfully at the new day, all her senses coming full force. The heavy feeling of her eyelids that usually accompany the morning rousing began to fade, and she took a look at her surroundings. The window that rested just a few feet away from Liz admitted the sun’s gleaming ray, basking her in utter brilliance. Although, it was not the time for the sun’s complete entrance, so the sky lounged in bright colours. Early morning had always been a favourite of Liz’s because the appearance of the sky could just brighten her day.

Tired of sight, she closed her eyes and took a vast inhale. The air smelled like love, Max… and lavender? Odd. Liz smiled and shook her head. Whatever.

But Max… oh, he smelled so delicious. The previous nights events overtook Liz’s mind, and she let herself indulge in the memory. Max had been so gentle, so tender. Every kiss, every touch, every thought was for her, and he let her know that. Max had been so worried that he would hurt her but he could never hurt Liz. Max could run over Liz with his jeep a million times over, and she’d be delirious because it was he who was driving. It’s sick and twisted, but all too true. To love someone this much, to spend every moment with one single person and still be unsatisfied… well, it was frightening.

But just the thought of Max reassured her to no end. He loved her, in every sense of the word. Even in his sleep, as he was right now, his devoted arms clung around her waist protectively. Always so passionate, and so adamant about her knowing how much he loved her. It tickled her continuously and she couldn’t think of a better way to live her life.

Liz felt the need to stretch but Max was still sleeping, and she refused to wake him up. Then again he might wake up anyways. Last night something had changed between them… like their connection had deepened. And Liz smiled broadly when she could feel that something special stir inside of her. But then a sigh followed, as she knew if she didn’t get out of bed eventually, she was going to wet the bed, and she could live without that humiliation.

Liz checked over her shoulder to see if Max was still sleeping. As she expected, his eyes were closed, and his breathing was deep, his lips toying with a slight smile. The sight warmed her heart, and almost debated leaving the warmth of his body. Wouldn’t he feel her absence as much as she? Wouldn’t he yearn to touch her and kiss her the way he had last night, as much as she wanted him to right now?

But Mother Nature called, so Liz quietly and slowly inched her way off her bed. Max’s body slumped into the gap where Liz’s body once was and shivered instantly. She kissed his forehead lightly and Max’s body calmed. Liz grinned and scurried off to the bathroom.

After her call of nature, she decided to see if the others made it to her apartment all right. She had forgotten about them until about a moment ago, and hadn’t heard them come in last night. It was odd, she at least expected to hear Maria’s shrill scream awake from her slumber during the night, but alas, she never awoke Liz. Liz tiptoed over to her dresser and pulled out a pajama set. It had purple, cartoon elephants all over the cotton pants and a plain white tank top. Not very sexy, but it would do. Liz tiptoed over to her lover and kissed him once more before sneaking out the door.

The moment Liz entered her living room she had to stifle laughter that endangered her. Alex and Isabel were lying on her couch, both tangled in each other’s arms. Each was still in their previous night’s attire, although indisputably wrinkled. Maria and Michael, on the other hand, were seated on opposite sides of the room. Maria lay comfortably on Liz’s other couch, whereas Michael lay awkwardly on the floor near where Liz was standing. Liz wondered what Michael had done now to piss Maria off. Liz shook her head in amusement.

Liz glanced over to the clock that hung on the wall. It was about 5:30am and the Crashdown wouldn’t open for a while now. Her parents had left her in charge, but with all the uncertainty in the air, she handed over the responsibility to her dad’s assistant manger, Craig. Liz didn’t see why her parents didn’t just do that in the first place, but her dad repeatedly told her it was just that she would have more access to the Crashdown since she lived there and that she knew the Crashdown better than anyone other than himself. Liz would just roll her eyes and agree with whatever he said.

Liz made a quick decision and scampered out her apartment door. She’d make a pot of coffee for herself before the group got up, which she was sure wouldn’t be for a long while. They would all flip out if they knew she was actually *gasp* going somewhere without them! Sometimes it really amazed her that she could go to the bathroom by herself. She knew it was about safety, but REALLY, a girl needed SOME privacy.

Liz strolled contently down the stairs and towards the Crashdown when something caught her attention. The lights in the dining room were on. She didn’t leave them on, did she? No, she couldn’t have. Would the gang have turned them on? No, they wouldn’t have. Liz’s throat closed up and she rethought the whole idea of coffee. Actually, screaming would probably help the most right now. Yep, it would. Only if her damn throat weren’t closed up. Only if her damn feet would move.

“Liz?” a voice called out as the employee door swung open. A sigh of relief swept through her and she ran to Adam, giving him a great, big hug.

“Oh, well, good morning to you,” Adam joked. She smiled and hugged him again.

“Good morning!” Liz replied energetically, regaining her happy state. “I was just about to get some coffee. The others are dead to the world.” Adam smirked.

“Great minds think a like. Coffee is already made.” He ushered her into the dining room, and seated himself where he was sitting before he had discovered Liz. Liz grabbed a coffee mug and poured herself some steaming hot coffee.

“Mmm,” Liz murmured as she took her first sip.

“Needed a caffeine fix?” Adam asked, watching Liz devouring her cup.

“Always,” Liz said, smiling at him. She took the seat next to him and turned to him. “So why you here?”

Adam looked at her oddly. “Am I not supposed to be here or something?”

“Oh no! I didn’t mean that! You’re always welcome here,” Liz responded quickly. “I’m just wondering why you’re here, drinking coffee by yourself-”

“Correction. Drinking coffee with you.”

“Right.” Liz nodded. “Drinking coffee with me early in the morning and not with your date and all her lively friends?” Adam unexpectedly dropped his head heavily on to the counter, causing a large thump. Liz jumped at the startling action.

“If I ever talk to her again in this lifetime or the next, it’ll be way too damn soon.” Liz laughed at his remark, and placed a comforting hand on his back. He turned his head, which was still lying on the counter, and looked up at her sympathetic eyes.

“That bad, huh?” she asked, rubbing his back soothingly.

“Uh huh. I swear I was more like her accessory than her date. She probably would have checked me in with her coat if she could have.” Adam picked up his head and thumped it against the counter again.

“Aww, it’ll be ok, Adam. But you know, this is your fault. Now you’ve learned your lesson. Never let Maria pick any of your dates. It’ll turn out to be a disaster, I guarantee it.”

“Point taken and filed.” Liz nodded her head and smiled. She took another sip of her coffee, and then looked towards Adam. His innocent but seemingly scarred eyes looked up at him.

“Do you miss it?” Adam looked at her questioningly.

“Miss what?” Adam asked cautiously.

“Home.” Liz watched for Adam’s response and was rewarded. His eyes clouded over and he straightened his body. His whole body seemed to stiffen, and he was quiet for a few moments.

“How could I not?” Liz nodded considerately. “But what is home?” Adam continued. “It’s not what it used to be. It’ll never be home again. Everything’s too different. I’m too different.” Liz gave another understanding nod. She knew that feeling. Life was so unlike the life she used to know before Max, Isabel and Michael. She wasn’t even sure if she would be able to recognize that life.

“Why do you ask?”

“I don’t know. I mean, if I were you, I’d probably wonder a lot about it. Like if home is as different as I am.” Liz paused thoughtfully. “It must have been hard.”

“What must have been hard?” Adam asked again, not sure if he was following her train of thought.

“Leaving everything you ever known.”

“I had to do what I had to do.” Adam just shrugged, acting as if it didn’t matter. But Liz had struck a chord. It was hard, and still is hard.

“You’re pretty admirable, you know.” Adam smirked at Liz’s comment and raised his eyebrows in question. “I don’t think I’d be able to leave all of this. I mean, sure, I’ve changed a lot of the years, but I still have this piece of myself that’s with me because I’m here, surrounded by things that are somewhat familiar.”

“You’re familiar to me.”

“Is it the same?”

“No.” An insecure silence swept over them. Liz glanced at Adam again.

“This may seem selfish, and I’m sorry if it comes out that way, but I’m glad you came. I don’t know what would have happened without you. I know I’d be missing out on a really wonderful friendship, for one.” Adam smiled at Liz sincerity.

“Me too. Maybe I left a lot behind me, but I sure gained a lot here.” It was Liz’s turn to smile, and she did it proudly. She hugged him again. Maybe she couldn’t take away the pain that resided deep in him, but she’d be damned if he went through it alone.

Liz began to pull away but Adam’s arms were firmly placed around her, not budging. Liz tried to pull away again, but Adam squeezed her tighter.

“Adam-” Liz began, but was abruptly cut off by a sharp shushing sound. Her round, doe eyes looked into Adam’s concentrating eyes. Before Liz could realize what was happening, Adam had thrown her and himself to the ground, his body guarding hers protectively. In the next instant, the Crashdown windows burst into tiny pieces, glass chunks littering the floor. The thundering shatter of glass pierced the previous calm that had occupied the air, and Liz wanted to scream except her throat closed up for the second time that morning. The split second of silence was disturbed by Adam’s constant line of curses. He stood up and pulled her body up with him.

“Adam what’s going-”

“I’m getting you out of here.” He grabbed her hand and ran towards the back of the restaurant before a large fireball launched towards them. The restaurant immediately erupted into flames and Liz finally found the voice to scream. But the scene rapidly disappeared in front of her as she and Adam ran out the back door of the restaurant.

Part 22 | Index | Part 24
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.