FanFic - Michael/Maria
"Bird in a Gilded Cage "
Part 4
by bec
Disclaimer: Roswell, the characters, and situations are owned by the WB. No infringement intended.
Summary: What would happen if the Government actually did get them, and what would the government want with them?
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG
Chapter 4 -

Max wondered what time it was, he had been pacing for hours. Hours of having to listen and watch as they examined each one of the girls. Liz hadn't handled it any better than Maria had, she had fought, kicking and screaming as they had lead her to that damn table. In the end they had used the drugs on her. As if that hadn't been hard enough having to sit and watch and listen to them do the same thing to Liz as they had done to Maria, then they had repeated it all with Isabelle. If they though they had had it tough with the two humans, they hadn't expected Izzie. She had gotten a few good punches in before they had called another person in and used that damn drug on her too.

He had had to sit and listen to each moan and cry every time they touched them. But no that wasn't enough, no he kept hearing that damn doctor.

He kept trying to reassure them that everything was alright.

"Try to relax now." It kept echoing in Max's head over and over again. How the hell does somebody relax when they were doing…that to them. Hell, Max hadn't even understood what they were doing to them, not at first, then as he watched he had started to comprehend, it all fell into place. The experiments, the talk of breeding. They were checking the girls to see if they could get pregnant. Christ what the hell was going on. This was madness. Every time he had pictured this scenario he had pictured the three of them being question and examined until they wanted to die, but not this, never could he have imagined this. Not Liz and her friends being tortured right along with them. He had tried to keep Liz out of this, tried to protect her. He had thought just being friends with her had taken any danger away from her. Not getting too close was the only way he had had to protect her. Hell, he had done one hell of a good job protecting her hadn't he. He sighed into the darkness.

-*******-

Michael let the sigh escape his lips into the darkness. No one could hear him, when they had shut down the lights they had also lost the ability to hear each other. They could hear what was happening in that damn room, but not each other. He was scared, scared down to his soul, hell, he let out a chuckle, did he even have a soul? He wasn't human, he didn't even know anything about his own body. He closed his eyes and pictured Maria's face the last time he had seen it. She had looked so damn scared, so frightened. Remembering her face he squeezed his eyes shut as tightly as possible, a single tear ran down his cheek. This was his damn fault, if he had never been born then Maria wouldn't have had to go through that today. None of them would. If he and Max and Isabelle had never been in Roswell Maria and her friends would be home, tucked into their safe rooms, fast asleep. They wouldn't have hurt them, hurt her. Michael had tried not to like her, hell she had driven him crazy on more than one occasion. But since the third grade when he had hit her with a water balloon in the middle of the playground she had been there, arguing with him, shouting at him, sometimes downright screaming her head off at him. And he had loved every minute of it. He had thought up ways to torment her, she had became a puzzle to him. He would sit and plan of ways to get her mad. He didn't understand it at first, couldn't fathom what made him do it. But then that day they took off together for Marathon it had suddenly come to him why he did it. He did it because it was the only way to get her attention, the only way to get her to notice him. He thought back to that night in the diner, that night that Max and Liz had gone to the reservation to find out about the necklace Izzie had found. He had said he kissed her because he wanted to calm her down. Hell, he kissed her because he had wanted to. It was all he had been able to think about since that night in the hotel.

This was all his damn fault. He dropped his head into his hands and sighed again.

-*******-

Isabelle sighed into the darkness, she couldn't believe this was happening, no matter how many times Michael had gone on and on about being captured she had never truly believed it would happen. Not like this. She reached up and wiped the tears from her face. The tears came only now that the entire place was dark, the room outside their enclosures was still lit up, but the cells themselves were all dark, it was if someone had taken black paint to them. No one could see in, so she had let the tears fall. Even now, after everything that had happened she wouldn't let them see her cry.

She just wanted to close her eyes and try and forget about what had happened. She had watched while they had examined Maria and Liz, she hadn't completely understood what they had done until it was her turn. She had heard about it, from the other girls at school, girls who had regular yearly exams, girls who had had it done so that they could get on birth control pills. But she had never really thought about it, she knew she couldn't take the chance of going to a human doctor, nor could she take the chance of having casual sex with the human boys at her school. What if she wasn't like them, what if she was built differently, or didn't have the "right equipment" as her friends would say. But then again, she had never met anyone that had made her want to get that close. Maybe she never would. She laughed, hell she'd never have the chance now. Not after this, she let the fear that had started to grow deep inside of her come seeping out. The fear that they were never going to get out of here alive. Never see their parents faces again.

She could understand what they had done to them, but why Liz, Maria and Kyle. Especially Kyle, he wasn't part of their group, he had never gotten close to them. Why him? His father had been on their side, had helped search out the three of them, why would they do this to Kyle. She had known Kyle from school, hell all the cheerleaders knew Kyle, he was the "star" quarterback, part of the popular crowd. Isabelle had seen him at a lot of the parties she had attended, but she had never really spoken to him. He had been with Liz since the beginning of summer and most of the other cheerleaders had given him up as a lost cause. Why did they grab him outside the Crashdown, why would they have included him?

She slowly got up from the floor where she had been sitting and stretched. She could feel the muscles ache, muscles that were stretched beyond their limits tonight. She walked over to the cot and stretched out on it. Tomorrow, she'd think about all this tomorrow. Max would come up with something, he always did. She rolled over and sighed as she closed her eyes and just let sleep take her over.

-******-

Liz's sigh echoed in the small room. She was sitting on the cot with her back against the wall. The tears she had shed earlier had dried up hours ago, she had none left. She was scared, more scared then she had ever been in her entire life. She wished she had her journal with her, at least it would give her something to do. Writing down her thoughts and feelings helped to calmed her nerves. Writing gave her an outlet for her emotions.

She still couldn't believe this was happening, this was all her fault. If she had not forced Max to tell her the truth then this would never have happened. For seventeen years they had lived normal lives, hidden from everyone. Well, until Liz had found out. She had ended up telling Maria and then it had become harder and harder to keep the secret. Kyle was always there, pressuring her to tell him what was going on. Sheriff Valenti, asking his endless questions about that day in the diner. She had thought she could help them, what she had really wanted was a chance to get close to Max. And then tonight, from the moment Kyle had shown up at the diner it had turned into a nightmare.

She had never really understood what Max and his friends had been running from, she hadn't really thought that the threat of capture was something they really had to worry about. No, selfishly she had been more concerned with Max's feelings towards her. She hadn't wanted to understand why he wouldn't get close to her. She had foolishly thought it was because he didn't feel the same way she did. She hadn't wanted to face the fact that they really did have to be careful, had to watch everything they did and said. She had never even tried to understand all of Michael's paranoid outburst. She had thought their only enemy had been Sheriff Valenti, and everyone knew he was nuts. In her own childish little world they had been worried about nothing.

Knowing that her parents thought she was dead caused a huge pain in her chest, she dragged air into her lungs, every time she thought about her parents she wanted to scream and rage. But at who, the people who had captured them, or herself? This was her fault, Maria, Kyle, it was all her fault. Max, Isabelle and Michael had been fine until she came into their lives. She let her body drop to the bed, her sigh echoed in the room again.

-******-

Kyle let the air out of his lungs in a deep sigh. He was sitting on the floor with his head resting against the glass partition, he hadn't moved since they had turned out the lights. He couldn't watch what they were doing to the girls, he could hear everything, but he didn't have to watch.

He didn't know what was happening here, he felt like he was in a dream, a bad dream that he couldn't wake up from. His father had been right, he wasn't crazy. Kyle let that thought settle into his brain. After years of being ashamed of him, years of asking God why his father couldn't be normal, years of watching people laugh at his dad. He had been right, all this time. Max and Isabelle Evans, and that jerk Michael Guerin were really aliens. And Liz had known about it, she had helped them. In the next breath another thought entered Kyle's head, but so did you when it came down to it Valenti, you helped them too. Why? Kyle had no answer for himself. Why would he help them. And look where the hell it had gotten him. Being held captive by a bunch of crazy people. And his father couldn't help him. Being the sheriff's son had helped keep him out of trouble, well not keep him from the trouble, just got him out of getting caught, people either thought that his father wouldn't do anything or if they did get caught his dad would pull his butt out of the fire. One too many times he used the excuse of his dad's job to let his so called friends drag him into doing something he shouldn't have. They all knew his dad would let them off. Fights, hurting people and not caring, juvenile things that he shouldn't have been involved with in the first place. But this was one time his dad wasn't there to pick up the pieces. Hell, his dad was in the same boat he was. And there was nothing they could do about it. Nothing. He felt something run down his face, when he reached up and brushed his face his hand came away wet. His father's voice entered his head Well dad your not here, so what the hell. He let his head fall back and released a huge sigh.

-******-

Maria chest hurt as the breath left her lungs in a sigh. She was curled up in a fetal position on the cot in her cell. Her throat hurt from crying and her head was pounding. The drug had worn off and it had left her disorientated. She wanted to go to sleep and wake up in her own bed. This had to be a dream, it had to be, this couldn't be happening. In all the time she had been crying to Liz that this was dangerous, she hadn't truly believed that anything would happen, not like this.

She pictured her mom's face in her mind. What was her mother thinking right now? Amy DeLuca had never been a strong woman. Maria had been more the parent than Amy. She had always taken care of her mother. She loved her mother more than life itself, but her mother was not the picture of "Carol Brady". She had a tendency to go off on one tangent or another. Racing off to this crystal prophet, or some guy who promised her he could make her happy. Flighty, that is what they called Amy DeLuca. But Maria had always been there to watch over her mom. Who was taking care of her tonight? Was she alone. Hopefully Liz's mom would be there for her, or Alex's. Alex's mom thought Amy needed a keeper, hopefully someone was with her.

She tried to turn over, a moan escaped her lips as the pain in her lower body made itself known. She knew the cramps would come, every time she had an internal she got cramps. She felt the heat rise to her face. They had hurt her, no matter how much that Doctor said he wouldn't, he did. Had her friends watched as they had hurt her? They had darkened the cells but when they had returned her to her cell she became aware of the fact that you couldn't see in, but you could see out. You could hear too, she remembered crying out when they had first touched her, had Michael heard her? Had they heard her, just as she had heard Liz and Isabelle's cries?

She remembered hearing Michael whisper her name, she remembered smiling at him. Oh my God, why, why was this happening. As she drifted off to sleep she released her breath in a soft sigh. Let it be a dream, please let it be a dream.

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Part 5
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.