FanFic - Michael/Maria
"Bird in a Gilded Cage "
Part 1
by bec
Disclaimer: Roswell, the characters, and situations are owned by the WB. No infringement intended.
Summary: What would happen if the Government actually did get them, and what would the government want with them?
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG
Chapter 1 -

Maria tried to snuggle into the blankets to get warm, but no matter how she tried it just wouldn't work. Her hands were tangled up in the blankets, she couldn't move them. And the mattress felt cold, unbearable cold, like it was made out of plastic. She opened her eyes, the fogginess of sleep left everything fuzzy for a few moments. She knew immediately that this wasn't her room. As her eyes adjusted she tried to make out the unfamiliar sights before her. She wasn't in her room, she wasn't in her house. She closed her eyes and tried again. Nope, same room. Where was she? She tried to sit up, her shoulders pulling up off the table she was laying on, but they slammed back down again. She looked down at her wrist. Who had tied her up? Why was she tied up? All these things slammed into her brain all at once.

"Maria"

She heard the familiar voice calling to her, she turned her head to the left, towards the voice. She saw her bestfriend in a glass room. Why was Liz in a glass room? This has to be the worst dream she has ever had.

"Liz? What the hell is going on, where are we?" Maria ask her bestfriend. "This is the last time I let them talk me into eating Tabasco sauce, you hear me. Now I'm having really weird dreams."

"It's not a dream," another voice said.

Maria turned her head and saw Max Evans in another glass room, next to Liz. There were more rooms, Three on each side of her, all but one room held one of her friends. Michael Guerin, Isabelle Evans and Kyle Valenti were in the rooms on her right, Max and Liz were on the left. The remaining room on the left was empty, the glass panel that enclosed it stood ajar.

"What the hell is going on?" Maria screamed, yanking on the restraints as hard as she could. She closed her eyes, the last thing she remembered was talking in the Crashdown Café, a diner that was owned by Liz's parents, Liz and her worked there, the others spent a lot of time in the small diner. Roswell, New Mexico didn't have to many hang out joints. This was their hang out. They had all decided to call it a night. They had closed up the place and were just locking the doors when Kyle Valenti showed up. The memories started hitting Maria harder and faster. She remembered Kyle screaming at them, screaming that they were coming, that they had to run, had to hide.

She turned and looked at Kyle, "you warned us, you warned us that they were after Max and them."

"Yeah, Kyle came to help us." Max said.

"A little too late if you ask me." Michael said.

"Nobody ask." Kyle standing just inside the glass doors looked to the right, but he couldn't see Michael, the walls between the rooms where made out of some kind of white tile. "I came as soon as I found out what my dad and Topolsky were up too. Hell, I thought they were nuts. I didn't believe them, I thought they had gone crazy. They thought you were aliens for Gods sake."

"We are aliens." Isabelle told him just to hear his reaction.

"Isabelle." Max pointed with one finger towards the ceiling. He thought the room was bugged, whoever was holding them probably was sitting somewhere listening to everything they said.

"Yeah right, and I'm the President." Kyle said.

"Well Mr. President, why do you think the FBI kidnapped six teenagers from a hick town like Roswell then? Answer me that one." Michael said harshly. "Why do you think we're all locked up in here?" He punched the glass in front of him, out of the six young people Kyle and Michael were not known for their control.

"Michael, calm down." Max said. "We're going to get out of here."

"Yeah, well tell me how your gonna fix this one Maximillan, huh, we can't even use our damn powers in this place." Michael stalked to the back of his cell and slumped against the wall.

Maria turned to Max, "Why can't you use your powers, I mean come on all you have to do is wave your magic little hands back and forth and get us out of here right…" no one answered her. She let her head fall back to the small pillow under her. Closing her eyes she started chanting over and over again "this is not happening, this is not happening."

Michael shot up off the floor and threw himself against the glass. "Just shut up, ok, just shut the hell up."

"Why can't you use your powers," Liz asked. "Your not hurt are you Max?"

"No, I'm ok, is everybody else ok?" Max ask.

"I'm ok, just a little dizzy, and Michael's yelling so he must be ok." Isabelle said as she turned and sat down on the bed that was attached to the wall.

"What powers?" Kyle ask.

"We're gonna have to tell him Max." Isabelle said. She drew her feet onto the bed and tucked her knees to her chest, she dropped her head to her knees.

"Why not, when they do their little "alien autopsy" thing, everybody's gonna know" Michael said sarcastically.

"Ok, everybody just settle down, we have to think here, there's got to be a way out of this." Max tried to smile at Isabelle, but she wouldn't look up at him.

"Ok, somebody want to clue me in, I mean come on, my dad is nuts right, he's gone off the deep end this time. Everybody knows he's crazy, running around trying to find little green men under everybody's beds" Kyle said. "But everybody knows there's no such thing as aliens. Right? I mean come on, this is the 20th century. Aliens don't exist."

"But my boy, aliens do exist, your friends here are the reason you're here. Just ask them."

Everyone turned to the man standing at the end of the room. He was wearing a white lab coat and held a metal clipboard in his hand. He looked exactly like one of those mad scientist guys in all the sci-fi movies. His gray hair was sticking out from his head and his glasses were sitting crooked on the bridge of his nose, he even held a pipe in his other hand.

"Hello Max, I'm Dr. Hanson, I just wanted to let you know that you and your friends won't be hurt. You have my promise."

"Where are we and what are you going to do with us?" Max ask.

"We're here to finish something, something we started a long time ago." The Dr. explained. It made no sense to the six kids but he went on anyway. "I was very young when we started our work" he moved into the room, standing at the end of the gurney Maria was laying on. "1947, you all know what happened in 1947 don't you. Living in Roswell, New Mexico of course you do."

"Finish what?" Liz ask.

"We found you. We found you in the life pods aboard the ship. The adults were all dead. We kept you in a state of unconsciousness until 1967, studied you, found out as much as we could. Then we started the second phase of our work, we woke you up and released you into the mainstream of society, we've watched, we've waited. Until it was time for us to continue with our work."

Kyle didn't understand any of this. "What the hell are you talking about? Found who?

"What experiments?" Liz ask.

"What are you planning on doing with us?" Max ask. "And whatever it is you don't need them, let Liz, Kyle and Maria go, you have us, you don't need them."

"Oh no, we can't let them go, they are just as important in this next phase. We need them to continue our work." Dr. Hanson explained. "I told you, none of you will be hurt."

"He ask you a question, what are you planning on doing with us." Maria was getting scared, terrified in fact. She wanted to go home, she wanted to wake up in her bed and find out this was all a dream.

We're going to find out what makes them tick." All eyes turned toward the door again, standing there was Katherine Topolsky, the blonde woman who they had at first thought was their high school guidance counselor, but in reality was with the Federal Bureau of Investigations. With a smile on her lips she continued, "we're going to find out what makes them heal, and here's the part where you come in Ms. DeLuca, we're gonna breed them."

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Part 2
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.