FanFic - Max/Liz
"A Whiter Shade of Pale"
Part 4
by Anne
Disclaimer: I DON'T OWN ROSWELL OR ANY OF THE CHARACTERS. I HAVE NO AFFILIATION WITH THE WB TELEVISION NETWORK OR THE AUTHOR, MELINDA METZ. LYRICS FROM GOO GOO DOLLS.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: R
AND I'D GIVE UP FOREVER TO TOUCH YOU
'CAUSE I KNOW THAT YOU FEEL ME SOMEHOW . . .
YOU'RE THE CLOSEST TO HEAVEN THAT I'LL
EVER BE AND I DON'T WANNA GO HOME RIGHT NOW.

CRASHDOWN -

Liz has just finished her shift and is in the back changing her clothes. Max said he was taking her somewhere so they could "talk." Liz didn't know whether to be happy or sad about this. What did he want to talk about? Was he going to tell her again that he needed "space." Liz really didn't think she could handle it if he did that again. She might actually lose her temper. She devoutly wished that he didn't really have any intention of talking to her at all tonight, but that would be a leap into the realm of improbability. Well, all she could do was wait and see . . . and hope . . .

Max: "Are you ready to go?"

Liz: "Ready as I'm going to get. Where are we going?"

Max: (smiles) "It's a secret."

Liz: (smiling, too . . . that sounded promising) "Oh . . . yeah . . . hint?"

Max: "Nope."

They walk out of the Crashdown together and get into the jeep. They ride beside each other just listening to the radio and content just to be together.

AND ALL I CAN TASTE IS THIS MOMENT
AND ALL I CAN BREATHE IS YOUR LIFE
AND SOONER OR LATER IT'S OVER.
I JUST DON'T WANT TO MISS YOU TONIGHT.

They are headed out into the desert as far as Liz can tell, and she wonders what in the world Max is up to. The night is clear and cool and the sky is so beautiful . . . all those stars shining . . .

Liz: "Well it certainly is beauitful out here tonight."

Max: (turning to look at her) "It certainly is." He grabs her hand and Liz gives him a supremely rewarding look. He swallows hard and accelerates.

For the first time in weeks, Liz starts to relax and let herself enjoy this time with Max without worrying about the past or the future. Just this moment was so perfect. With a mischievious glint in her eye, Liz makes up her mind to see if she can get Max to forget all about talking to her. Liz casually leans over and rests her head on Max's shoulder.

He puts his arm around her, and Liz lets her hand rest on his knee. She could've sworn she heard him say something under his breath, but decides not to pursue it. She starts drawing little circles on his leg just above his knee, seemingly without noticing she was even doing it. Max is doing an admirable job of acting like Liz's closeness hasn't affected him, but Liz thinks his breathing sounds a little different. Max is thinking that if she doesn't stop that soon, he's never going to make it to the place he wanted to take her tonight. He shifts a little in his seat, trying to get comfortable, but finally gives up, realizing how ridiculous it was to even try in his present condition.

Liz: (dreamily) "Max . . .

Max: "What?"

Liz: "Where did you say we were going . . .?"

Max: "I didn't say . . . besides, we're almost there."

Liz: (surprised) "We're in the middle of nowhere . . . "

Max: (completely serious) "Exactly." (returns his attention to driving as fast as he can and still be safe) Liz is smiling to herself now and just about to laugh because Max sounds so . . . strained. His physical condition has not escaped her notice either. Liz is pretending to just be resting and she's having an awful time not laughing out loud at Max. When she's sure she has herself back under control and won't bust out laughing, she slides her hand a little higher up on Max's leg. She can feel his whole body tense beside her. She starts dragging her fingernails around in circles again and is delighted to feel him shift a bit forward in his seat . . . again! Well, well, well, it was better to give than receive. She was actually make him squirm for a change. Liz is fighting hard to keep a straight face, but she takes a deep breath and presses on. Her hand slides higher still up Max's leg dragging her fingernails the whole way. Max takes a deep breath and Liz risks a peek at his face. He doesn't give much away in his expression, but she can tell he's very much aware of her at this moment.

Liz: "Max?" (still sounding a little sleepy)

Max: (strangled) "Yes?"

Liz: (pulling her hand up to the top of his thigh and resting it there) "I just want you to know that I'm not going to make it easy for you . . . "

Max: (completely misunderstanding and having a hard time thinking straight anyway) "What?!?!"

Liz: "I'm not going to make it easy for you to keep secrets from me." (laughing, now)

Max: "Hasn't anyone ever told you that it's dangerous to tease?" (looking at her with a completely unreadable expression on his face)

Liz sits back in her own seat, thoroughly disgusted and more than a little insecure. She just knew she had been getting to him, darn it! How did he do that? It just wasn't natural for a guy to have all that . . . control. While Liz is busy being disappointed that her machinations hadn't pushed Max over the edge of his control, he's busy breathing a sigh of relief for the reprieve. If she hadn't sat back when she did, he didn't know what he would've done. She was making him crazy, and he had a sneaking suspicion that she had done it on purpose. This only made it more difficult to control himself, knowing that she wanted him that way was just too much to ask of a guy. Finally, Max pulls off the highway and drives a short distance from the road. He practically leaps out of the jeep and reaches in back for a bundle that was tied up behind his seat.

Max: "We're here." (walking around to Liz's side of the jeep)

Liz: "I see" (watching Max and trying to figure out what in the world is going on)

Max: (holding out his hand to help her out of the jeep) "Are you coming?"

Liz: (puts her hand in his and feels an overwhelming wave of desire crash through her) (She just stares at their hands for a minute before she realizes that she's supposed to be doing something) (She slowly brings her eyes up to meet his and sees that Max is not impervious to her after all.) (He almost looks like he really could maybe be dangerous.) "Oh . . . my . . .

(Max pulls her out of the jeep gently but steadily toward him but he doesn't kiss her.)

Max: "Let's go."

I DON'T WANT THE WORLD TO SEE ME,
'CAUSE I DON'T THINK THAT THEY'D UNDERSTAND.
WHEN EVERYTHING'S MEANT TO BE BROKEN . . .
I JUST WANT YOU TO KNOW WHO I AM . . .

He leads her out into a beautiful clearing and unties the bundle. He spreads out a blanket and Liz sits down on it while he builds a fire quickly with the wood that was inside the blanket. Max sits down beside her and grabs her hand. He is more prepared this time for the onslaught of emotion that comes from touching her, but still . . .

Max: "I think there's something I should tell you . . ."

Liz groans to herself thinking, "Oh no, here it comes."

Liz: (searching his eyes for some clue as to what he's going to say) "What?"

Max: "I wasn't going to bring you here tonight."

Liz: "You weren't?"

Max: "No . . . but I couldn't drive another fifteen miles to the place I really wanted to take you."

Liz: "Why not?"

Max: (kisses her gently and rests his forehead against hers) "Because someone was doing her best to drive me completely insane all the way here."

Liz: (swatting him lightly) "You jerk!" "I was getting to you!"

Max: (serious) "Liz, you get to me if you're anywhere in my immediate vicinity and sometimes that's not even necessary."

Liz: "Well, I'm glad we had this little chat. I was having some serious concerns . . ."

Max: (pulling her astride his lap facing him) (Liz gasps in surprise. ) "Let's just put those to rest right now . . ."

(kisses her again, this time with all the passion she could've hoped for . . . and then some."

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Part 5
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.