FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"The Way You Love Me"
Part 24
by LivE
Disclaimer: I own nothing Roswell..
Summary: This is the third story in a trilogy that I didn’t intend to write! It started with The Experiment and Finding Our Normal. For the most part, this story is about Max and Liz and how wonderful their relationship is!
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Authors Note: It is advisable to read The Experiment and FON first, otherwise you're going to be a little lost. Also, if you like Tess, don't read this fic!
They got married in the sunshine on the Saturday after they all graduated from high school. The wedding was small and was held in a small chapel with only their parents, friends and Nick and his wife in attendance.

Of course, the school authorities had had trouble with two of their students being engaged so openly and Michael was never going to let Max forget that their "fearless leader" had needed his lawyer dad to help him with this problem. Philip and the rest of the parents had eventually convinced the school board that Max and Liz knew what they were doing, was not going to disrupt school activities and had full parental consent for their actions (even though they technically didn’t need it).

Max had chafed under all this attention. He wanted to live his life with Liz and not be subjected to interrogation for it. He had had enough of that from Nacedo and everyone else already. For the first time, it irritated him that he couldn’t tell these people to take a flying leap and that Liz was already his two times over according to the laws of his own people. But, eventually, it all blew over and the stares and whispers following Max and Liz in the hallways of West Roswell High died down.

Preparing for a wedding while trying to study for finals put a lot of strain on everyone. Isabel and Maria bickered endlessly about their bride’s maid dresses until Liz decided on a color for them and told them that they could each fashion a dress to their own tastes. For the rest, Isabel took care of planning the small reception that was to be held in the garden of the Evans’ home. At first, Maria and Liz had tried to help, but Isabel got scary so they just gave up.

The day had finally arrived. Max felt like a huge fist was squeezing his chest and he thrust his hands through his hair for the umpteenth time that morning. Liz had been staying with her parents since Thursday night and he had only gotten to see her for a little while last night. He wasn’t worried about Liz not showing up, he was worried something horrible would happen to ruin this day that he had been dreaming about for so long. He kept locating Liz through their connection, making sure she hasn’t been abducted or something. He knew he was being ridiculous, but there have been quite a number of moments during his life where he had been afraid that he would never see Liz again and he never wanted to relive them. Especially not on their wedding day…

"Maxwell! Would you quit wearing a groove in the floor? It’s not like the girl can escape you or anything!" Michael was supremely irritated with the whole affair. Figures that his leader would be a complete sap for a girl.

Max just sighed. How could he explain his fear to Michael? Michael lived life in broad strokes, Max lived in small nuances. They saw life from two very opposing angles. "I know she will be here, Michael. I-I just want everything to be perfect."

"And here I was starting to think maybe you and Isabel weren’t really related," Alex stated from his position slouched on the couch. They were waiting in the side-room of the chapel for the appointed wedding hour and Alex and Michael were getting really bored with everything. Trust Max to take this whole commitment thing to the extreme!

Liz was staring at herself in the mirror. She was nervous, really nervous. Not about Max. Never about Max. She was nervous about something going wrong today. She was, after all, Miss-Gotta-Have-A-Plan Parker. A small smile touched her lips. Actually, soon it will be Mrs-Gotta-Have-A-Plan Evans. Liz Evans. Her smile grew to a delighted laugh. Mrs. Liz Evans!

"Liz, babe, not a good time to be losing it, okay?" Maria arrived in a rush. "Isabel is freaking out over the napkins that are all wrong and you are standing here laughing. What’s up with that?"

Whirling around, Liz hugged Maria. "I’m going to be Mrs. Liz Evans, Maria!"

Maria pulled away and smoothed her dress. "And why is that such a big deal? It’s not like you haven’t been practicing signing that name for years now. Or that you haven’t been LIVING and acting like Mrs. Evans for the last two years. Or that anyone of us ever doubted this day would finally come. Or that—"

"Okay Maria! I get the point," Liz cried. She was deliriously happy and Maria was not going to rain on her parade.

"Well, then put on your dress, girl! The man is probably going to beam you there with some of his freaky alien powers if you don’t arrive on time!"

Nancy came in to help Liz dress. She was emotional and ended up wiping some tears off when she saw Liz in her wedding dress.

"How do I look?" Liz asked nervously.

"Absolutely gorgeous," Nancy said past the lump in her throat. "My baby… All grown up!"

"Max is going to die, Lizzie," Maria added softly.

"I agree," Isabel spoke from the doorway. "You look stunning. Dark-haired girls always look better in wedding dresses."

Giving her a look, Maria came over to hug Liz carefully. "Max is one lucky alien, chica."

"Thank you."

"Now let’s get this show on the road!" Isabel clapped her hands, back in organizer mode.

Max stood perfectly still at the front of the chapel, his mind busy talking to Liz.

After watching this for a few minutes, Michael slapped him on the back. "Not the time to space out, Maxwell. I hear cars arriving."

"I know. She’s here," Max answered, turning to the door.

Isabel and Maria came in first, smiling broadly at the group of men standing at the end of the isle. "Well, that’s probably the closest I’ll ever get Michael Guerin to an altar," Maria said from the side of her mouth to Isabel.

"Hmmm, don’t be so sure!" Isabel whispered back, startling Maria.

Max gave both girls a perfunctory smile, but his attention wandered to the door again. And then she appeared on the arm of her father… Her dress was the color of ivory and the strapless bodice fit her curves perfectly. The skirt of the dress was wide and swirled around her as she moved. In her hair, she wore the white roses that he had given her last night.

Liz felt Max’s gaze wander from the top of her upswept hair to the tips of her shoes peeking from beneath her dress. When his eyes met hers again, they were warm and filled with love and wonder.

I didn’t think you could get more beautiful, his mind whispered to hers.

I love you, Max Evans! she whispered back.

"Be happy, honey," Jeff told her before kissing her lightly and giving her over to Max.

They stared in each other’s eyes, oblivious to everything around them. Max lifted his hand and reverently touched her cheek.

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to join this man and this woman…" The preacher went through the motions, but Max and Liz couldn’t stop looking at each other. Their hands were tightly entwined and for a fleeting second, they saw two little children playing in a garden again. Both of them gasped at the vision.

Their "I do’s" were said softly, but firmly. They were only confirming again what their hearts have known for a long time. They belonged to each other.

Liz felt absurdly pleased when she slipped the ring on Max’s finger. Finally, an outward sign that he was hers! She saw from his half-smile that he knew what she was thinking.

"I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride!"

Max ignored Alex’s ‘like he ever needed an invitation to do THAT’ and wrapped his arm around Liz’s waist, lifting her up against him until she was eye-level with him. "I love you, Liz Evans!" He said clearly before swooping in to kiss her mouth. Most wedding kisses were quick and tame, but not this one. Max practically devoured her lips, sliding his tongue against hers as his other hand came up to cup her cheek.

Liz put her arms around his neck and let herself be swept away by his passion. She kissed him back ardently, letting him see into her soul with each kiss.

As always, it was Alex that broke up the moment. "Okay you two, isn’t that what got you in this mess in the first place?"

Finally letting Liz slide down his body until her feet touched the ground, Max grinned at her. Liz looked completely dazed and… ravished. And for once, he didn’t have to try and ‘fix’ her up so no one would know.

They finished the formalities and emerged from the chapel with rose petals raining down on them. Maria and Alex were taking pictures and Alex commiserated with Philip for having to drive the car with the newly weds. "They gonna suck face all the way, Mr. E! You do realize that, don’t you?"

Philip watched his son, who had seemed very uninterested in girls for a long time, in the rearview mirror, kissing his new wife as if the world would end if he stopped. Tearing his eyes away when Liz climbed on Max lap, he ruefully admitted that it sure looked like they had had enough practice with kissing.

Back at the house, Isabel glared at Max for ruining Liz’s make-up and waved her hand over Liz’s face to fix the damage. Max could care less. He grabbed Isabel around the middle and kissed her cheek. "Thanks for everything, Izzy!"

They ate, they danced, they chatted. It was a wonderful, sunny day and everything that the new Mr. and Mrs. Evans had wanted.

Liz threw her bouquet to the only two unmarried girls in the room, and Maria caught it! Michael just raised an eyebrow until Max took off Liz’s garter (he took his time with it) and walked straight to Michael to hand it to him personally. Michael was completely flummoxed and stood there gaping at them all while their laughter filled the garden.

Max and Liz had asked to go the Evans’ cabin in Carlsbad for their second honeymoon too, and Max was driving them up there in the Jeep. Alex had made sure that the Jeep looked like a carnival, filled with balloons and streamers and saying "Just Married" on the bonnet.

Max swung Liz, still wearing her wedding dress, into the passenger seat and they finally waved goodbye to their families.

"You could’ve given me some time to get out of this dress before we left, you know!" Liz smiled at him.

Giving her a disbelieving look, Max stated simply: "If you thought I would’ve let anyone but me take that dress off you today, you were sadly mistaken…. So you will wear that dress until I can undress you. Okay, Mrs. Evans?"

Opening her mouth to say something, Liz decided that her first action as Max’s wife would be to follow this order of his. He was a King after all…

Part 23 | Index | Part 25
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.