FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"The Unknown"
Part 3
by Anne B.
Disclaimer: Sadly none of this belongs to me…Roswell belongs to the WB, Jason Katims, and all of those producer people, and Melinda Metz…please don’t sue me…The song Unknown is by Lifehouse. I don’t own that either, surprise, surprise!
Summary: Post-Viva Las Vegas…
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
“What?” Liz asked Max, staring at him like he had grown a second head. “Are you out of your mind? We can’t get married…we’re only seventeen! Not to mention everything else. This is crazy!”

Her mind whirled a mile a minute as she realized what Max was proposing…that they do it, fulfill the dreams that had plagued Liz’s mind since the day that Future Max appeared on her balcony, and have the night that she had dreamed of for months with the love of her life. Going ahead with this would be fulfilling one of Liz’s most powerful fantasies…but at the same time it was so dangerous…everything she worked for, everything she suffered through for the past few months would be for nothing. How could she and Max continue to deny their love if they were secretly married?

Max on the other hand seemed to have it all figured out, as he calmly explained his reasoning to her…as much as Liz hated to admit it, it made a lot of sense, and it was an incredibly seductive suggestion.

“You’re right…Max Evans and Liz Parker can’t get married…but if we’re going to do this we can’t think like that. Tonight Max Evans and Liz Parker don’t exist. We’re Rob Roy and Shirley Temple, two star-crossed lovers in Vegas. Shirley and Rob are 21 and have the freedom to do whatever they want…but it can only last one night. If you want to get married in Vegas, than let’s get married in Vegas, but tomorrow when we go back to Roswell, we turn back into Max Evans and Liz Parker…two teenagers living the most complicated lives anyone could ever imagine.”

“Are you drunk?” Liz asked him bluntly.

“What?” Max exclaimed in surprise. “No…why would you think that?”

“Because the Max Evans I know never does this…he’s not spontaneous, he’s not crazy. He’s logical, responsible, and cautious, and everything that you’re not right now. And the only time I’ve ever seen him act like this, was when he was drunk.”

“Liz…” Max started, all playfulness out the window as a serious look settled on his face. “I’m completely sober. And I know that this isn’t like me…the logical, serious part of my mind is screaming at me to stop this now before it goes any further…but the other side of my mind is telling me that I need to just let responsibility go for a while. I don’t know why…maybe it’s this city…maybe it’s the way that my life has been spiraling out of my control for the past year. I don’t know for sure what it is. Maybe that vision effected me more than I’d like to admit…or maybe it was my fight with Michael. I don’t know…but what I do know is that I want this: you and me…now. I want it more than anything else in the world. And in the last few minutes, you’ve given me the smallest shred of hope that maybe you want me to…and that’s enough to make me determined to do this.”

Liz felt herself slowly giving over to the proposal…living the dream…capturing the moment…except that one small thing wasn’t sitting quite right with her.

“What about you, Max? I mean, getting married at the Elvis Chapel is my Vegas fantasy, but what’s yours? This can’t be all about me.”

“It doesn’t matter to me.” Max replied honestly. “My fantasy, wherever I am, whatever I’m doing has always been to be with you. What we do doesn’t matter to me as long as we’re together. And trust me here, Liz. Dedicating myself to you forever isn’t something I’d ever have to think twice about.”

Liz smiled softly, as his words touched her heart and soul. He was right and she knew it. The two of them seemed stuck in lives where their unnatural responsibilities held them back constantly…for once they deserved this chance to do something completely insane…even if it was just for one night.

“Okay.” Liz agreed. “Let’s do it.”

The leader in Max immediately took charge, as he fell into planning mode.

“Okay…well we have to find a bridal shop…get you a dress. I think there was one in the hotel.” Max mused.

“It wouldn’t surprise me.” Liz chuckled. “We are in Vegas.” She circled Max like a hawk, examining his suit. “You look amazing as you are…I don’t think you really need a new tux, Max.”

“Rob.” He reminded her. “Gosh, Shirley, how can you marry me if you can’t even call me by my name…we wouldn’t want you to say the wrong thing at the alter!” He joked.

“Rob.” Liz corrected herself with a laugh. “Anyways, I want you to wear this.”

“As you wish, Ms. Temple, soon to be Roy.” Max laughed. “So, if you get to pick out my clothes does that mean I get to pick yours?” He asked with a flirtatious tone in his voice that surprised Liz.

“Well, I don’t know, Rob.” Liz smirked back, playing along with his game. “Guys aren’t always known for having the best taste…although I trust you. Okay, how about if I give you veto power?”

“Agreed.” Max grinned. “Come on, Ms. Temple. Let’s get you a dress.”

An hour later, Liz found herself donned in a long, beautiful white gown with a tight bodice, embroidered with complex patterns, hanging lightly from her shoulders from two thin spaghetti straps, and flowing out from her waist and falling to the floor around her feet.

They sat together in the waiting room at the Elvis Chapel, Liz resting back against Max’s hard, familiar body, as he held her tightly in his arms, stroking her arms in a gentle caress. She smiled to herself as she felt him kiss her shoulder blade, then her neck, and her ear, before finally settling his chin on the crown of her head, as he smelled the rich scent of her hair, right at the source where it was still piled up from earlier that evening.

Liz closed her eyes and melded the moment into her mind, trying to focus on every feeling, every sound, every smell…anything so that she would never forget what it was like to be the center of Max Evans’ life…just one last time.

“Mr. Roy?” A man fully decked out in an Elvis costume, complete with the sideburns stepped into the waiting room from the chapel doors. “We’re ready for you.”

Part 2 | Index | Part 4
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.