FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"The One"
Part 1
by Jennaev
Disclaimer: I do not own Roswell, Max, Liz, Maria, Brody or Sydney. I do own Adarah Davis and Tierzah Rodruiguiz.
Summary: When Brody recieves an omnious call about his estranged wife, he Max and Maria travel across state. Once there old feelings are rekindled and new feelings are discovered.
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Authors Note: A very special thank you to plumeria, who was an absolute God send and edited this story. Thanks for letting me harasass you so much! Feedback: Please, I beg of you. Send all comments, pro or neg to jennaev@hotmail.com
UFO Center

" I don't know, man. I think I should be getting paid extra to answer your phone all day." Max Evans disappeared into the office, casting a grin in Brody Davis' direction.

"You should have read your job description, Evans. It's on it." Brody replied. "Under the Slave Labor section."

Max laughed as he reached for the desk phone.

Brody resumed eating, and listened to Maria's never ending tirade about Michael Guerin. If she only knew, he thought silently. He could tell her about love woes. He laughed as she waved her plastic fork as if it were a magic wand.

"Brody." Max returned, his expression somber. "It's a Sergeant Walker from the Sarasota Police Station. He wants to speak to you. It's urgent." Max didn't have the chance to finish. Brody dropped his sandwich and all but lunged for the phone.

Max exchanged a concerned glance with Maria. Sarasota, that was where Sydney lived.

"This is Brody Davis, what happened?" His tone was urgent, panic filled, almost desperate.

Max felt panicked himself. He adored Sydney, but even more so, he knew how much his boss loved the five-year-old girl. He held his breath.

"Adarah Davis." Brody's gripped the desk behind him for support. "Yes. Yes. She's my wife." His voice cracked and faded as he listened intently, the fear was clearly etched on his usually relaxed features.

"Wife?" Maria whispered as she saddled up beside Max. It was obviously a shock to her also. Brody never mentioned being married. Ever.

Maria continued to look at Max for answers. He shrugged. It was so painfully obvious that Maria had developed romantic feelings for the quirky Aussie.

"Oh, God." He breathed into the phone. "My daughter! Where is my daughter?" Panic turned into primal fear. His breathing became labored as he sank into the nearest chair. "I'm on my way. Does her family know?"

This was bad, Max thought. Very bed.

"Yes, thank you." The phone hit the cradle with a loud thud.

"Brody?" Maria ventured.

"Uh.." Brody rubbed his face fiercely. He's trying not to cry, she thought.

"I have to go to Sarasota."

"Sydney?" Maria asked, placing her hand on his shoulder.

"No. My wife....there was an accident. Sydney wasn't in the car." He said those words with as much gratitude as he could manage. But Adarah had been in the car.

"I've got to get to the bus stop. My car is still in the shop," Brody babbled as he wrestled into his leather jacket.

"Wait...Brody. Sarasota is only a few hours from here. I'll take you." Max offered. He didn't want Brody out there alone, not in this state. He looked petrified.

"We'll all go." Maria chimed in. "You might need us..." Great one, DeLuca. "To, uh, get coffee and stuff." Nice save.

Brody nodded numbly. Ten minutes later they were in Max's Jeep. Brody pressed his headagainst the cool glass.

"So, uh, how long have you been married?" Maria ventured, attempting to ease the tension in the air. She thought she saw Brody stiffen, just a little.

"Five and a half years." He replied reluctantly. He didn't want to talk about it. Especially not right now.

"So, she lives in Sarasota..." Maria hinted.

"We're separated. Just over a year now." He prayed that was her last question. He closed his eyes tightly, hoping she'd get the hint.

Index | Part 2
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.