FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"Taking A Step Back"
Part 39
by Mary N.
Disclaimer: Roswell, the characters, and situations are owned by the WB. No infringement intended.
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
WEDNESDAY - four days remaining until the planned meeting with Topolski.

Max, Liz, Michael, Maria, Alex, and Isabel are gathered around there three cars waiting for Kyle and Sandie in the parking lot before school. They want to know what happened after they left the Gates's this morning and to find out how Kyle perceived his father's reaction to everything they revealed.

They watch impatiently as Kyle pulls into the parking spot they reserved for him. As soon Kyle and Sandie opened the car doors, Maria asked them the two questions they all most wanted the answer to. "What happened after we left this morning? Kyle, does you dad seem okay with everything?"

"Not everything." Comments Sandie before Kyle had a chance. She then met the saddened look in his eyes with one of her own equally as sad.

"What are you talking about Sandie? What didn't he take very well?" Max asks nervously as Kyle and Sandie finished walking the distance for the car to where their friends are standing.

"Sandie's and my relationship." Kyle answers grimly as he reaches out and wraps his arms around Sandie's waist pulling her back against his chest. "He doesn't feel we're old enough to make a life time commitment, and he wants us to stop seeing each other for a while. His opnion is, if we are meant to be together we will be, but he doesn't want us getting too serious right now."

"It's unfortunate he doesn't understand how important being together is for us." Sandie adds and leans her head back against his shoulder.

Liz's thoughts drift back to when Max and her were trying to stay away from each other, and how miserable they both were. She can't imagine what she would have done if it had been hers or Max's parents telling them they couldn't see each other, especially after they bonded. Then worry hit her and echoed in her voice. "Have you two bonded yet? You know, seen into each others souls."

"Not yet. Up until last night I was nervous about Sandie's parents sensing what we were experiencing, and to be honest it scared me. I know how most fathers would have reacted if they found out about some of the things their daughters were doing when out with their boyfriends. With Sandie's father and mother and their powers, I was afraid of nightmares, or worse." Kyle confesses, knowing that Max, Michael, and Alex of all people should understand. All they had to do was think about what would happen if their girlfriend's parents found out what they had been doing. And their parents don't even have powers.

Michael's curiosity about what changed, got the better of him and he asked, "You said until last night, what changed?"

"Before heading home after our meeting at the Crashdown; Robert and I sat and we talked about where he stood when it came to me and Sandie. He advised us to take things slowly, or should I say, not to rush them. He also said that he understood how it was, because of what Alisha and he went through. It really surprised me

"Lucky dog, he paretically gave you his blessing." Maria jabs Michael in the ribs just enough to tell him to shut up.

"What did I say?!" Michael asked, but everyone ignored him.

Alex is still anxious about Valenti knowing their secret, and he senses Isabel's uneasiness as well. "Back to your dad Kyle, do you think everything else is okay."

"Yeah, he seamed fine with it, but just to be sure, Alisha connected with him again. She told us he's on the up and up, and not to worry."

Michael still not upset that the Sheriff discovered so much about their secret, and how he went about it voices his concerns of something happening again. "It's no secret I'm not happy about the Sheriff knowing our secret, but that's beside the point now. What we have to worry about now is preventing the whole town from finding it out. We have to be more careful, we don't know who could be listening, where, when, or with what equipment they are using."

"I can look into some anti bugging devices on the Internet. There are quite a few sites that carry equipment of that type." Offers Alex.

"Aren't things like that expensive?" Questions Maria.

"The upper end is definitely expensive, but I've been working on that. You remember those bank accounts listed on the Teomner's laptop. Well, I've been working on gaining access to them. I haven't cracked them yet, but I'm hopeful." Before anyone can question the honesty factor of this, Alex justifies his actions. "It's not like we'd be stealing or anything, after all you two are the only living relatives on Earth we now of. It should go to you."

*******************************

Sheriff Valenti, Robert Gates, and Tod Dooley are sitting in the sheriff's office. "So it's agreed, Saturday Morning 5 a.m. You'll drop Tommy outside the station to meet Mr. Gates."

"You're sure this is going to work?" asks Tod.

"Positive, he will never be the same again." answers Robert with a smirk on his face.

"Again you promise nothing to drastic?"

"He may have a few nightmares about it, but nothing that will harm him other than a few sore muscles. Like I said Mr. Dooley, he's going to get a taste of what it's like at a military boot camp mixed with a good taste of what it's like to be at someone else's mercy. He will be working with my men part of the time, and the rest with a friend of my who is coming in as a favor to me. I guarantee my men will not know why he is there, unless Tommy tells them. Which I would strongly suggest against. They are extremely protective of my daughter, and to the most part they have watched her grow up."

*************************************

Michael, Maria, Liz, Max, Alex, Isabel, and Kyle struggled throughout the day fighting the extreme tiredness that washed over them as the day progressed. During classes two or more shared, they spent the class time talking quietly, passed notes, gave each other light shoves, whatever it took to keep each other awake. During the classes' one would be alone, they seemed to lose the battle and would have to be awakened by the class bell or an irritated teacher.

Unfortunately Sandie was on her own. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't stay awake. By time fourth period she was suffering from a major case of whiplash. She just wanted to find a corner somewhere and curl up and got to sleep. She wasn't learning anything to day anyway. Being the student that she is, she decides to try and stick with it and hope that her second wind would hit her soon. Finally during sixth period it did, but it was short-lived. The teacher was so boring that even if she wasn't tired she would have fallen asleep. She ended up getting at least a little sleep that period by resting her head on her arms on her desk.

Max and Liz seemed to have an easier time staying awake then the others. They spent their class periods talking through their thoughts. The two were finding they no longer had to be in the same room to hear each others thoughts, which as most things had its good and bad point. Luckily they had more than enough to think about and to plan for that they were able to keep their minds off of each other most of the time. And the other times they would excuse themselves from their classes and meet in the Eraser Room for a shared burst of energy.

They were all thankful when last period ended. But unfortunately for Max, Liz, and Maria they each had to work the after school shift through close. Michael, Alex, Isabel, and Sandie on the other hand decide to head straight home to their beds after agreeing to meet at the Gates's for a training session in three hours.

Sandie made sure to include Alex in this training session. Her mother advised her, that the more training he and the others received before their powers started developing, the better they would be at controlling them when they did. It was obvious that there was no way they could know what skills they would develop, but that didn't matter. The point was for Alex as well as the others to concentrate on how to focus their energy and thoughts.

*********************************

Kyle had to stay for basket ball practice, and actually surprised himself when he found he was glad the season was coming to an end. All he had was one more game. The team hadn't done all that well this year, so they didn't even have a chance for regional. Kyle normally would have been bummed, but with everything else going on in his life, he couldn't be happier.

As practice drew to an end the coach gathered the team around to go over the stats of the opposing team they would be play against on Friday.

Kyle tried to concentrate on what the coach was saying, but his mind continually drifted to the events of the night before. All in all everything went fairly smooth except for his father's request for him to stop seeing Sandie. Kyle simply couldn't accept it, he doesn't even see how his father would ask him to do such a thing. It would be impossible, they had the same friends, hung out in the same places, and to top it all off they would be sleeping in the same house, alone, without adult supervision. A smile spread across Kyle's face at the idea of being alone, okay almost alone with Sandie. He knew they wouldn't be alone in the house, but he figured if the others had in mind what he was sure they did, he would have plenty of time alone with Sandie. After all Michael and Maria haven't been able to keep their hands off of each other any more than Max and Liz, and Kyle is sure Alex and Isabel are bound to follow soon.

Kyle was brought out of his thoughts when he heard his Coach calling his name. "Kyle this is important. Do you mind staying with us here?"

"Sorry Coach, I didn't get much sleep last night."

Troy Mitchell, one of the junior players made a tasteless remark just loud enough for Kyle and a couple of the player standing next to them to hear. "Yeah, it seems your girlfriend didn't either."

The other players all started laughing, but abruptly stopped when Kyle got in Troy's face straining to stay in control and sternly stated, "And just what's that supposed to mean?"

Troy must not have caught the intent of Kyle's actions, because he continued, "Come on Kyle you know. Did you get yourself some?"

There was no missing his intent this time. Kyle roughly shoved him back, causing him to fall to the ground. "You're such a prick Troy, you know that, and no I didn't get myself some. If I ever hear anything even vagile similar to what just came out of your mouth about her, they'll have to wire your mouth shut to give your jaw time to heal after I break it."

The coach moved between Kyle and Troy. "Okay you two break it up. I want everyone to hit the shower." Before Kyle had a chance to walk away the coach stopped him. "Kyle hold on a second." He waited a moment for the gym cleared. "Kyle, what's going on, really. You've been distracted the whole practice?"

"It's like I said, not enough sleep." Kyle defended.

"Why didn't you get enough sleep? I heard what Troy said about Sandie, your girlfriend right? I also know that you got into a fight yesterday with Tommy Dooley over something he said about her, and today noticed a few of your friends were having trouble staying a wake as well. Talk to me Kyle, maybe I can help."

Kyle had to thing quickly for a plausible explanation, which seems to becoming habit for him these days. "Yeah, she's my girl friend. Her name is Sandie Gates, and yesterday after practice Tommy and a couple of his friends stopped her in the hallway and started getting to friendly if you know what I mean. She handled herself no problem, but was still badly shaken up and our friends and I want over to see what we could do, to support her. The next thing we knew, we'd talked into the wee hours of the morning. Then to hear Troy making remarks about her like that, I just lost it. The last thing she needs right now is to hear rumors like that going around about her."

"Kyle just remember violence isn't the answer."

"I know it shouldn't be, but in the world we live in, sometimes you have to fight. We can't just sit back and let people do things that hurt those we care about. Trust me coach, I'm not looking for a fight, but I'm not running from one if I feel it's a just cause."

After talking to his coach Kyle, rushed through his shower to join Sandie and the others for some practice time, as well as some time alone with Sandie regardless of what his father wanted.

*****************************

THURSDAY, was to the most part very uneventful. Max, Maria, and Liz once again had to work from the time they got out of school until close. They didn't seem to mind so much knowing by working during the week, they would have off the whole weekend to deal with more important things.

Michael, Sandie, Isabel, and Alex accompanied by Alisha headed out into the desert once again for more practice. However, today's practice would entail more than ones individual power. They would also be practicing how to link together in other forms then through touch. It turned out that Alex still had to share a physical contact, but the others accomplished the connection without doing so. All five, including Alisha, were astonished at the strength they possessed when working together. Alisha admitted, Robert had been right about the group, they possessed more strength than she could have imagined at this stage, she wondered how much stronger they would become. Alisha didn't even try to fathom how much stronger they would be with the other half of this group, nor how much stronger they would be once they all came into their full strength.

As soon as Kyle could manage, he drove out to the desert for some more practice with the others. He had no trouble finding them. First knowing the general area to look for them, but once in a half mile distance from them, he saw what appeared to be a bright white bouncing ball floating on the horizon. One like you would see on the Karaoke screen showing what words you're supposed to be singing.

Kyle pulled up and parking between the Jeep and the Gates's smoky topaz Lexus, and watched in amazement at the actual size of the light engulfed boulder that was now being suspended perfectly still in the air. He climbs out of his car and walks quietly over to where Sandie is standing, not wanting to break their concentration. In a whisper he asks, "Sandie, how are guys holding that bolder up there? That thing must weigh a ton."

Sandie's lips curl up just a bit at the sound of Kyle's voice, as she stretches a hand out to him. "Concentrate on the boulder."

Kyle took Sandie's hand and closed his eyes, concentrating first on Sandie, matching his breathing to hers as he had learned the day before. Once in he opened his eyes and concentrated on the bolder.

Alisha called out another command and they started the boulder spinning in a flat spin going counter clockwise. "Stop." She commanded after a few minutes of maintaining the spin, and as quickly as they started the boulder spinning they stopped its movement. "Lower it back into place." The group did so. "Great Job." She told them and they broke into a loud roar.

"What was the purpose of that exercise?" question Kyle not knowing what he's missed.

"Team work, and just building endurance." Sandie told him before leaning over for a brief kiss.

"So what else have I missed?" Kyle said with a double meaning behind his words. Which Sandie caught after seeing the gleeful smile on Kyle's face.

Alisha understanding that Kyle is like Alex and still need the connection to use his developing strength. "Sandie, I want you and Kyle to work opposite of Isabel and Alex. Show them how to throw and protect. Go with rock and shield. Mean while Michael, I'll work with you."

*******************************

FRIDAY as soon as school was out Max, Isabel, and Liz headed for the Evan's house. Both Max and Isabel were anxious to see their dad after his two-week trip out of town. Liz on the other hand was very nervous about sitting around the dinner table with Max's parents and hoped within the time of their arrival, and the time for dinner she would feel at least a little more relaxed. Otherwise she didn't think she would be able to eat a bit do to all of the butterflies in her stomach.

During to drive from the school to his house, Max smiled at Liz while taking her hand into his in an effort to comfort her fears. *Liz, don't worry. I think my mom realizes how important you are to me. She just wants to get to know you better, that's all. Now try and relax a little. There going to love you. How could they not, I do? *

*But what if they don't Max? What if they think I'm not good enough for you? *

*Just be yourself and try to relax. You have both Isabel and me on your side, and remember it doesn't matter what they think. What matters is what I think, and feel about you. Which you already know were I stand, but and just in case you need a reminder, let me tell you. I love you Liz, I love you more than life it's self. No matter what they think they can never change that. *

His words touch her soul and her heart, but her head doesn't seem to be able to let go of her nervousness she is feeling. *No, but they can stop us from seeing each other. *

*You're worrying about something that's never going to happen. Just for arguments sake, if they did, it wouldn't matter, because I could never stay away from you. They couldn't stop us from talking, even if it is just through our thoughts and we will always have our dreams. I know that wouldn't be enough, but if you think about it, how many times have we been together that they don't know about. See Liz, they would never be able to keep us apart.*

Isabel didn't have to hear Max and Liz talking to know they were having a conversation. She was pretty sure she knew what they were talking about as well. Knowing Liz as well as she gotten to, she figures Liz is just as nervous about this dinner as she would be if it were going to Alex for dinner. She felt that Liz could use some added support and interrupts their conversation from her seat in the back of the jeep. "Liz, don't worry, my mom and dad are pretty cool, as far as parents go. And that private channel of communication you and Max have can only be a plus. If you need help just send him a S. O. S. and you know he'll be there. You also know you can count on me."

Liz nods her head and thanks Isabel.

****************************

Kyle drove Maria to her house where they were to sit down with her mother and his father for an early dinner. Kyle insisted that if they were going to do this tonight that he had to have time to get to his game.

Neither Kyle nor Maria were sure what to expect when they got there, but they both hoped it wasn't going to be a dinner to spill some big news.

Kyle dismissed Michael's idea of what this was all about, and he wished he could dismiss his own thought as easily as did Maria. What they found as they entered through the kitchen only made them think this was going to be a night they both had wished would never happen.

Amy DeLuca was sitting on the kitchen cabinet with her arms and legs wrapped around Jim Valenti as they kissed wildly. Maria shivered in discussed at the sight she beheld. Jim's hands had wondered up the sides of her legs under her skirt. "Mom!" cried Maria at the same time Kyle cried out, "Dad!"

Both Amy and Jim pulled back quickly straightening their ruffed cloths and blush at being caught by their children. "Um, Maria, Kyle. . . .uhhh. . . .your here." Amy tried to clear her head long enough to sound coherent, but it wasn't working.

Jim on the other hand snapped to a little quicker. "We'll be eating soon, why don't you to go into the living room and sit down for a minute. We'll be right in."

***********************************

Isabel walks into the house first and is greeted by her dad. She hugs him, welcoming him home and whispers something into his ear. As she pulls back she says, "I want to hear all about your trip, but first where's mom?"

"She's in the kitchen finishing up dinner. She said you guys wanted to eat early tonight. What's up with that?"

Isabel scurried off to the kitchen leaving Max to answer their father's question. "Last game of the session tonight, and this is the first Friday I haven't worked all season. The whole gang is going to surprise Kyle and cheer him on."

"My first night home?"

"Well dad it's not like a secret that you and mom want sometime by yourselves and we figured that if we were gone then you two could ‘talk' without worrying about us interrupting."

Phillip looked a little surprised by Max's emphasis on the word talk. Being the caring father that he is, he wondered if Max and this girlfriend of his had on of these kinds of ‘talks' as Max put it. He was going to have to make sure to talk to him about the risks, and being careful, but he truly hoped that his son would wait until he was much older, and preferably married first. The same he hoped for Isabel.

"Dad you've met Liz before."

"Sure Jeff Parker's daughter. Nice to see you again. Dinner will be ready soon. Mean while we can sit in the living room and I can get to know you a little better Liz."

Max leads Liz into the living room where they sit beside each other on the couch. Phillip sits in the recliner to the right of the couch and takes Isabel's information into consideration. "Liz, you work at the Crashdown, right. I can see why Max spends so much time there. So how did you two finally get together?"

**************************************

Maria and Kyle sat impatiently talking about anything they could think of to keep their minds off of what they had just witnessed. "The game tonight, do you think we're going to win?"

"Who's to say, our year hasn't been one to sneeze at, but we didn't do that great either. What are you planning on doing to night?"

"Sandie suggested that we all head out to where you have been going lately. Seems Max, Liz, and I have some catching up to do."

"Sounds like a good idea. It really amazes me what they, I mean we can do together. I noticed that once I join in the group seemed to be able to ease up a bit. They didn't seem to have to work as hard to do the same thing. I can tell I really am contributing. I think my favorite practice drill is the one they call Shields and Stones."

"What's that?" She asks with a puzzled look on her face. "It sounds like something in a bad title for a knights and armor movie."

Kyle laughs lightly, "I guess it does at that. Actually it's. . . ." Kyle fades off as he catches movement out of the corner of his eye.

"What were you saying about Shields and Stones, was it?" asks Amy as her and Jim join them in the living room.

"We just said it sounded like a title for a bad movie, that's all." Maria answers hoping neither her mother nor the Sheriff pursues it further.

She is relieved when Jim changes the subject. Both Kyle and Maria wondered if he did that purposely to protect them from having to lie, or if he just wanted to talk about the game to night more. They both suspected the game really wasn't what he wanted to talk about.

"I heard you mention the game. How do you think it's going to go?"

*************************************

Isabel walks into the living room and announces, "If you would like to wash up, it's almost time to eat. Liz, Max can show you were a bathroom you can use is." Isabel didn't want to give away the fact that Liz spends quite a bit of time here when hers and Max's parents aren't home. She also felt the two of them could use a little time alone before another round of questions started.

Max still holding Liz's hand lead her to his room under the perception that they were going to uses his bathroom. As soon as they stepped into his room, he closed the door and pulled Liz into a passionate kiss causing her to relax and mold her body into his. "Better?"

Max starts to descend on Liz's lips once more, but is stopped by her answer. "You could say that, but don't. Know I have to face your parents feeling all hot and bothered. It's going to be really hard to keep my hands off of you now." Liz closes her eyes and pictures him kissing her again and those feelings she's trying to repress, push further to the surface. Max groans at the images he's getting from Liz.

They are both startled by the door opening behind them. "You two better be glad that Mom sent me up to see what was taking you two so long. I heard that noise clear down the hall. Behave yourselves, and get back into the dinning room."

Max was very glad he wore his black baggy pants today, otherwise he wouldn't be able to hide the reaction Liz has on him from his parents. He smiles down at Liz and nods knowing she's had an equally simulating reaction to him. He turns her around, pointing her in the direction of the bathroom. "Go." Was all he could muster as he pushed in the right direction.

************************************

Maria and Kyle talked to each other through dinner, they realized that outside of their secret they really hadn't talk to each other. In fact they never talked one on one. There was always someone else around, and yet they were still comfortable enough with each other the managed to get through the dinner without any great effort. Maria cleared the dishes for her mother, and they all headed back into the living room.

"I've said this before, but I'm going to say it again. I'm really glad that you two get along so well. More than ever now." Amy has saying, as Maria's and Kyle's hearts jump into their throats knowing here it comes!

Part 38 | Index | Part 40
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.