FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"Taking A Step Back"
Part 35
by Mary N.
Disclaimer: Roswell, the characters, and situations are owned by the WB. No infringement intended.
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Alex, Isabel, Michael, and Max enter the Master Bedroom shocked, really shocked at what they see, or should I say don't see.

Kyle and Sandie are laying on the bed side by side looking into each others eyes talking and holding hands. After everything that has been happening with all of the other couples they expected to find them in a compromising situation.

It's true Kyle and Sandie have spent much of their time in the room kissing, but their make out session stayed fairly mild in comparison to the Alex and Isabel's downstairs. They would kiss in length periodically, but nothing they would be extremely embarrassed about. There are still a lot of things these two want to find out about each other. Kyle really realized today how little he knows about Sandie and vis-a-versa.

In addition to Kyle wanting to get to know Sandie better he had two really good incentives not to let things go to far, her parents. Every time Kyle felt like things between them were starting to get intense he'd get this image of Robert and Alisha standing at the front door of their house like they did the first night Kyle kissed Sandie. He'd hear Sandie's voice saying "They can feel my emotions when they get intense."

The idea of Sandie's father, this man who has alien powers, and runs covert military unit knowing Sandie and he were getting intense made him very uneasy. Forget uneasy, it scared the daylights out of him. He didn't have to wondering how Robert felt about his daughter, it was obvious that he would do anything to protect her. He would react if things were to go to far.

Kyle, for one brief moment pitied Tommy. Who knows what kind of torture Sandie's parents were going to come up with for him? But then as said, it only lasted a brief moment, because Kyle figured whatever happens to him, he deserved for trying to hurt Sandie.

Sandie and Kyle both sit up on the bed looking back at their friends. "What's up?" Kyle ask wondering why they were looking at them the way they were.

For the first time the four standing in the doorway realize how it must they must look standing in the doorway staring on in disbelief. They moved farther into the room and made themselves comfortable. "So what have you two been doing." Isabel asks not so innocently. She really can't believe Kyle and Sandie were laying on the bed taking this whole time. They had to have done more than talk.

Nether Sandie or Kyle want to tell their friends about their personnel conversation, much less anything else they had been doing. During their conversation, they shared some of the more stupid things they had done or been a part of during their lives which amounted to some of their most embarrassing moments. Kyle wasn't going to share those with everyone and he was sure Sandie didn't want to either. In order to avoid that conversation, Kyle decided this would be a good time to tell them what happened between Sandie and Tommy in the hallway after practice.

***********************************************

At the Crashdown Liz and Maria take their first break since they started their shift. They sit in one of the booths with their drinks. The bell on the door rings. Both girls glance over in time to see Sheriff Valenti walking in and coming straight towards them. He pulls a chair up to the booth and sits down.

"Ms. Parker, Ms. DeLuca, where are your friends tonight?"

"I'm not exactly sure Sheriff," answered Liz, she takes a drink of her soda and tries to act calm. Inside she is feeling anything but calm. She positive that the Sheriff has an agenda for coming into the Cafe today. She figures he came into ask further question about the events of the day before. Liz tries to casually look around to make sure her father is no where around. The whole group decide not to tell their parents anything in hopes that the Sheriff wouldn't either. They agreed that if he did they would just play if off like now big deal as they had with the Sheriff. Liz simply hopes that it doesn't come to that, she doesn't want to have to lie to her parent if it can be avoided. Liz matches Maria's gaze from across the table. Maria doesn't look any more comfortable than Liz feels.

Valenti watches both girls. Liz looks calm, but definitely not comfortable. He watches her eyes as the scan back the to kitchen. He figured that she hadn't told her parents about the events of the day before, but he can't be sure if it was because she had a tryst in the desert with Max or if it was in fact because of the events that transpired while they were out there. "Really? Well, I've been looking for Kyle and he said he was meeting all of you here."

Liz tries to get her imagination under control, of course he would be looking for Kyle here; this is the favorite hangout for all of them. "That's right, they'll be her around closing."

"I thought Kyle said he was meeting with his friends sooner than that."

"That's possible, I wouldn't know anything about it though. They don't always tell us what they have planned while we're at work."

"Really, and here I figured if anyone would know it would be you two; especially after what happened at the school with Tommy."

It's obvious that neither girl knows what he's talking about, they both look puzzled, "Why would they fight, it you would even call it that, between Kyle and Tommy increase the chances of us knowing where they are?" Maria asks with a voice sound just as puzzled as her expression.

"No one's told you about what Sandie did to Tommy? Now I am really surprised."

Liz and Maria exchange worried glances. "What did she do to Tommy?" Maria asked instinctively. She only hopes it didn't come out too abrupt, because she's very aware of how closely the Sheriff is observing them. She calms her voice an goes quickly to Sandie's defense. "Whatever she did, I'm sure he deserved it. The question is, what did he do that Sandie felt she had to hurt him? It had to be something bad, because Sandie's not the type to hurt someone without just cause."

The Sheriff is done here. He accomplished what he came here for, as well as proved to himself how quickly they would defend each other even without all the facts. He figures either they really know and trust each other or their fools. He hopes it's the first. "It's really not my place to say. I shouldn't have mentioned it at all, I just figured that you being Sandie's closest friends, she would have told you by now." Valenti stands to his feet and pushes his chair back to its proper place. "I actually stopped by to tell Kyle and you, Maria, that our dinner has been rescheduled for Friday 7:00. Maria if you would notify Kyle when you see him I'd appreciate it." Valenti walks out of the cafe and to his cruiser parked in the alley across the street. He picks up what looks like a hand-held radio from the front passenger seat and turns it on. He can hear Maria and Liz talking.

Inside the cafe Maria and Liz are wiping down the tables. "Liz, what do you think that was all about?"

"Do you mean the sheriff or the deal between Sandie and Tommy?"

"Both, you don't think Sandie would. . . . you know, hurt Tommy." Maria wiggles her fingers in reference to Sandie's powers.

"No, No! She wouldn't do that. If she did, do you think the sheriff would have been so casual about it?"

"I suppose you're right." Maria looks at the clock on the wall. "We'll be finding out soon enough. Lets get this place done before the others get here."

**********************************************

Kyle and Sandie pull up at the Crashdown in his car, followed by Max, Michael, Alex, and Isabel in the Jeep. Together they wait at the front door for Maria to open the door. Alex, Isabel sit in their usual booth across from Kyle and Sandie after saying their hellos to Maria and Liz. Michael takes Maria into his arms giving her a proper hello kiss.

Max walks around the counter where Liz is filling a drink for each of them. He takes the glasses from her hands, seats them down on the counter, and wraps her tenderly in his arms. "Hello Beautiful."

"Hello yourself hansom." She tilts back her head in anticipation of Max's lips descending upon hers. They enjoy a long sensual kiss. Their kiss ends when they hear Isabel saying, "Don't you two ever get enough. We are waiting you know."

"Isabel you got yours, now it's my time for me to get mine." Retorts Max before descending on Liz once again.

When they pull back, they smile at each other and both sigh wishing they could continue this. *Later, we'll finish this later.* Max promises himself and Liz.

Liz picks up the glasses and resumes filling them. *Max, how did it go with Isabel? She looked really mad earlier.*

Max stands behind Liz, places his hands on her hips and runs them up and down her sides. *We worked it our. You don't have to worry.* Max plants small kisses along the side of her neck. *From what Michael and I witnessed, it looks like Alex and Isabel in the middle of a heated make out scene themselves, in the Living room no less. If we hadn't interrupted, she wouldn't have had any room to talk.* A meager laugh escapes Liz's lips before she mentally asks, *Do you know about Maria and Michael?*

*You mean doing what I want to do to you right now.* As well as the message, Max sends a mental pictures of what he would like to do.

"Max!" Max looks over his shoulder only to be greeted by six pairs of eyes watching them as he hears Liz. *Behave your self. Besides, I thought you said later? So, you best stop tempting me, we have other business to take care of first.*

Disappointed, but knowing she's right, Max whispers in her ear. "I know, but one can dream."

*You are incorrigible Max Evan.* Max helps Liz carry the drinks over to the table, as does Maria from the other side of the counter.

Liz walks over to the booth and sets a drink in front of Kyle, Sandie, and Isabel. Max sets one in front of Alex. Maria hands one to Michael who is sitting in a chair pulled up to the booth, and sits down in the chair he pulled up for her. Max and Liz sit in the next booth looking over the back of the seat. "Kyle, did Maria tell you your dad stopped by tonight?" Kyle shacks his head no. "It seems your dinner with Maria and her mom are back on this Friday at 7:00. He also said something happened between Sandie and Tommy at the school. What happened?"

Kyle wrapped his arm around Sandie's shoulder protectively as Sandie tells Liz and Maria what happened. "Tommy was making unwanted advances on me. When I tried to walk away, he grabbed me and wouldn't let me go." Sandie met Kyle's tender gaze. She could feel how badly he felt that any of this had happened. She reaches up taking hold of the hand that rests on her shoulder.

She was right Kyle felt bad, but most of it was because he hadn't been there to protect her. Granted he knows that she did just fine on her own, and she definitely has more training than he does. It's just that he's a little old fashion when it comes to the guy rescuing the damsel in distress.

"The sheriff said you hurt Tommy. How exactly did you hurt him?" Maria persists, she wants to know more about what happened.

"How about I show you." Sandie stands up and pull Kyle along with her. "Kyle will you help me? It would be good for Liz, Maria, and Isabel to learn how to defend themselves if the time ever came that they had to."

Kyle agrees silently, and pushes a couple of tables out of the way. Sandie wraps his arms around her waist. "I like this part." Declares Kyle with a grin on his face.

They all laugh a little, and Sandie continues to explain what they would need to do while she demonstrating the moves they would make. Liz wants to try it and pulls Max out to be her attacker. Soon they have all given it a practice through and sat back in their seats.

Liz takes a drink from her glass and asks Max, "Did you find anything new today?"

"Nothing other then the fact the rooms could really come in handy for much needed privacy."

*Is sex all you think about?* Liz playfully scolds Max with her thoughts. She knows he's been trying to be good, but during their little excise she really didn't make it easy on him. She stare into his beautiful brown eyes. Max stares back with his sad puppy face and jokes back. *Are you saying you don't?* He knows full well where her mind has been since he was teasing her at the soda machine.

*Not normally no, but for the last few days it's been hard to think about anything else.*

*Yeah, me too. It's almost like being drawn to each other, or not being able to get enough of you.*

*Yeah, exactly! Do you think this is normal, or is this something else?*

*I think it's probably normal, but even if it's not, it's not something I want to fight, it's more fun to give in.*

*I have to agree Max, right now I wish that house was closer. I could go for some privacy time.*

Isabel gives Max a shove, "Would you two join us please. I swear, you two hearing each others thoughts, is going to get us all into a lot of trouble. Learn to control it, would you!"

Liz smiles lightly at Max before staring down at her hands to hide her embarrassment from the others after being caught. Max on the other hand pushes Isabel back playfully and says, "Just you wait Isabel. It will be your turn soon enough, and then we'll see how well you and Alex are able to control yourselves."

Kyle, who doesn't see the point in recovering this conversation, makes an effort to keep everyone on track. "As we were saying before Romeo and Juliet checked out, how are we going to handle Topolski on Sunday? We have to let her know where and when to meet."

"What about out at the house?" Suggest Maria figuring it's far enough out of town that know one would see or hear them.

Michael squeezes Maria's hand before saying, "I don't think that's a good idea. What if she figures out what happened to Teomner before we have a chance to explain how it happened or offer her our deal?"

"Have you ever considered that may happen anyway?" Isabel points out. "I know if I were living our of town I would stop by to see my parents first, and chances are she may have been trying to contact him already. You now to let him know she's coming, and she's even been trying to find out from him what's happening. She's probably trying to figure out why we're not locked up in one of his rooms or how we even got a hold of her e-mail address in the first place."

Makes since Is, I suggest we have someone out at the house all of the time starting Friday. Michael can we count on you to cover Friday night?

"Yeah, no problem Maxwell, it's not like Hank is going to miss me. The question is, how am I going to get out there?"

"Alex you too, I don't want anyone out here alone."

"Yeah, I'll work it out."

"Sandie can you check with your parent and see if they can cover for us Saturday night. Have them tell our parents that their taking us on an over night camping trip in the desert somewhere."

"Do you want me to see if they want to be here just incase?"

"No, we can't risk Topolski knowing about them. But if we need them, they'd know it anyway, right?"

"Through me you mean? Yeah, I should probably tell them how to get out to the house. Is everyone okay with that? It could save sometime if we need them."

"We kind of figured by showing you, they would already know." Isabel tells Sandie.

"No, our link isn't constant, and the older I get, the more our connection diminishes. They have to connect with me just like they would with you, except when things get really intense, we're able to connect over a larger distance, and for that I have to be willing, except in the dream plane of course."

"You and I are going to have to talk." Kyle informs Sandie, he just realized that maybe her parents wouldn't know exactly what they were up to.

"Speaking of parents knowing things, Kyle how did it go with your dad last night?" asks Alex with a note of concern.

****************** I don't want you to forget that the Sheriff is still sitting in his cruiser across the street in the alley listing in on the gangs conversation. Many questions are running through his mind about now. *What house? What happened to Teomner, and how are these kids involved? Why would they feel a need to let Topolski of all people know? What's the connection between this killer Teomner and Topolski? What's the deal with Sandie and her parents?

He may have a few answers, but to the most part he just has more questions. He is still wondering how Clay Woods and these kids are linked together.

He continues to listen hoping to get some answers rather than more questions. ********************

"About like I expected" Kyle informs them. "He's still suspicious that we're hiding something from him. I think we're going to have to be really careful for a while, at least until things settle down again. By they way Max, thanks for keeping the story simple and for basing it on the truth. It sure made things easier on me. You wouldn't believe how many times I had to retell it last night. The hardest part was trying to convince him that Teomner could possibly be your real uncle. I wonder if that's because I have trouble believing it, and I know he truly was."

"I still have trouble believing it myself. I'm just glad that we don't have to worry about him trying to hurt or control us any more." The groups eyes, except for Sandie's, drift over to Liz as they all remember how bad things were, and how much worse they could have gotten. Max thinks to himself as he pulls Liz a little closer *I for one, am really glad his plan didn't work.*

Of course Liz hears him and in return thinks, *Me too my love, me too.* They share a tender kiss and return their thoughts back to what their friends are saying.

"I'm kind of grateful to the guy." Everyone looks at Kyle stunned.

Maria is the first to voice what everyone is thinking. "Grateful, why?"

"If he hadn't trapped Liz the way he did, I would still be in the dark. Admit it, if I didn't follow you guys that day, and stumble into what was going on, you would have never revealed the truth about you guys. Which means we wouldn't have become such good friends. You would still be afraid of me finding out something and telling my father."

"You got that straight buddy!" Michael replied with a smirk on his face.

Maria slaps Michael's leg playfully. "We've all come a long way since then Kyle, and I think we all agree we're better off as a team. It's not like I have to remind anyone of what we've gone through together."

It's Alex's turn to try and keep everyone focused on the up and coming meeting. "Speaking of things we have gone through, it's time to get back to why we are here, other than enjoying each others company, of course. Which is, what are we going to tell Topolski?"

"I thought we already agreed to tell her the truth?" Questions Sandie. "After all you said she knows what kind of person Teomner was. She'll be relieved that he's gone, right?"

"That's just it we don't know how she's going to react. He did raise her, and kids tend to love the people who show them love, but if he raised her anything like Hank raised Michael, then there's a chance that she hated him enough to be glad he's dead."

Maria stands up from her chair and stands behind Michael rubbing his shoulders. She knows that no malice was meant by Isabel's reference to him and Hank. She also knows how much Michael wished for a better life. A life where the people around him loved him, and she plans to remind him that he has that now. "I'm betting she hated him. After all, if some psycho took me from my family, ran experiments on me, and treated me as some lesser being, I know that I would hate him."

"What about the house? Do you really think she'll just sign it over to us? Do we even want her to?"

"I thought that was the whole point to all of this Michael, to get the house and keep her off of our case." questions Isabel.

"Nothings changed about that. I'm just saying we should have her put the house under an alias or something, that way we can hide there like we talked about if we ever needed to. If the property is under Max and Isabel's name, they would be sure to search it, and with the road going out there they would be sure to find it."

Max takes his eyes off of Liz and focuses his attention on Michael. "That's a good idea Michael, and if we do get the house, even if it's under an alias, we should consider parking farther away from it, and covering the existing tracks. We can't risk anyone stumbling onto it. If they did, there goes our safe haven."

"I agree," declares Alex, "I think we all do. Teomner seemed to want to be found. We know he enjoyed killing and being careless like he was, he must have drawn people to him. I for one don't like the idea of killing anyone, and I know that none of you do either, so we can't take those kinds of risks. I know that we all agree our lives are at risk if anyone were to find out the truth about us, and I for one don't want to end up on some lab table as someone's guinea pig for their experiments."

**************************** The Sheriff is getting more information, some of which he never expected. But the one things he's picked up on the most is that these kids good kids, their just scared and trying to protect themselves.

************************************* The group disperses into couples. Each going their own way. Kyle drives Sandie to the park. He wants to find out more about what Sandie's parents can and can't pick up on. He's hoping that Sandie and he are able to take things farther than he originally thought they could.

Maria and Michael head to their favorite hideaway spot for someone on one time.

Max and Liz head up to her room, while Isabel and Alex decide to head to the Evan's for some time alone as well.

Part 34 | Index | Part 36
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.