FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"Taking A Step Back"
Part 29
by Mary N.
Disclaimer: I don't own the characters, but I wish I did! But the ideas for this story are mine.
Summary: What happens in the lives of Max Evans and Liz Parker and their friends after Max tells Liz that they need to ‘Take a Step Back'. What twists and turns await them as they try to discover the truth about who they are, were they come from, and the truth about what binds them together.
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Authors Note: My story starts off when Max tells Liz they have to take a step back at the end of Balance.
Sandie's V. O.
~*~*~*~*~*~
I almost wish the sheriff hadn't left. Not that I really want him to stay, but, because I don't want this feeling of acceptance from the others to end. The truth of the matter is; I don't want to tell them about the depth of my mother's and my special bond, the fact that she senses when I'm scared. Not just scared, but when I'm really scared, like I was tonight. When that happens, we have the power to connect and communicate. It's not a bad thing, in fact it's been really great sometimes. The thing is my friends don't really trust my family, and this is the first sign that they may be beginning to trust me. I don't want to blow that, but then again if my mother can help us make Mr. Woods and his two companions leave us alone it would be worth it. Maybe then they will learn to trust my mother and father as well. One can only hope. Well, here goes nothing.
~*~*~*~*~

"Max, Liz, everyone, I have to tell you something, and I don't think you're going to like. It's nothing really bad or anything, at least I don't think so, but then you might not agree with me." Sandie takes a deep breath, and tries to calm the butterflies in her stomach. "You know I have this connection to my mother. It's a little more than that. It's kind of like this protection thing. She senses when my emotions become intense, like they were a few minutes ago."

It's obvious that Sandie is nervous about whatever she's trying to tell them, which makes the group uneasy. Kyle, being aware of how apprehensive his friends are as well as knowing how scared Sandie must be feeling; makes an attempt to relax everyone. First with a modest smile he takes hold of Sandie's small hand. He than tells the others, "Relax, it's not that bad. We already knew if we accept Sandie, it's a package deal," and lastly he addresses Sandie, "It's okay you can tell them. They aren't going to bite your head off, at least I don't think your species does that sort of thing."

Sandie nods her head and smiles slightly at Kyle. At this moment, she felt like running, but he somehow made her feel that everything would be alright. "My mom and I, we communicated with each other. She knows what happened with Mr. Woods and the other two. I didn't tell her about the sheriff. She wants us to meet her at my house to figure out what to do about them. She does think it's the last we will see of them."

Isabel is surprised to say the least. Mostly by the fact Sandie could communicate with her mother without being in physical contact with her. Max and she haven't been able to communicate telepathically since they were kids, and that was only when they were in close proximity of each other. "How can you do that from this distance?"

"I don't know, it's like I said, it only happens when emotions are high."

This makes sense to Max. He often wondered how Nasado knew when to come to them in their dreams, and when they needed to be guided through they needed him, and how he knew it was time for each couple to go through the ceremony in their dreams. "Is, that explains how Nasado knew we needed him."

Isabel nods. It does make sense. Max has a few questions to ask Sandie before they decide if they are going to her house to meet with her mother. "Sandie, we need to know exactly what the connection is between your family and the government."

Sandie appreciates their concerns about her parents and grandparents, and wants to do whatever it takes to ease them, but she also knows that she has to tread lightly if she wants to maintain the trust that she has gained today.

"I'll tell you what I can. You know my father is a Colonel, well he is a specialist in covert operations. He and my mother work together, and so do I sometimes. The government uses my mother's talents, powers as you call them, to uncover top secret information from foreign government's , and to uncover spies that have infiltrated our government, along with whatever else they come up with. Keep in mind they don't know of all her talents. She's been very careful about that, because if they did, they would make her use them to hurt people, and she doesn't want to do that. They know she can manipulate molecular structures, but they don't know to what extent, and they also know that she can shield herself like I did tonight. They know she can scan through peoples memories with a touch, and make things move with her mind. However they don't know that we can communicate like we do, and they don't know anything about my fathers capabilities.

They know less about me than my mom. She taught me early on how to hide my powers and to be very careful when I used them. Basically they think, because I'm only half Alien, my powers are weaker, but that's not true. In fact mine are stronger in some ways.

My Granddad retired when he found out my Grandma was so sick, but he still has a lot of influence in the Military and he knows more about what took place at area 51 than most. He was stationed here most of his career. They don't like to move the upper ranks in and out of the base too much. He said it was because it takes too long to teach someone new everything they have learned over the years."

"Why were you brought back to Roswell?"

"My Granddad pulled some strings; he knew mom would want to be close to Grandma right now."

"It's time to be blunt, the operation your father is working on now. Does it have anything to do with finding out about us?" Michael watches Sandie very closely. He doesn't trust anyone other than the original six completely.

"No! No I promise you it has nothing to do with any of you."

"How can you be so sure?" asks Michael who is still not convinced.

"Because, he wouldn't use me that way! And besides, he knows if the government ever knew there were more of us, we would all be in danger."

******************************************

Upon entering Sandie's family room, Liz sits on the couch and Max sits on the floor in front of her. Maria sits next to Liz and snuggles into Michael's chest whom is sitting to the right of her. Alex and Isabel sit side by side on a second couch. Alex slowly rubs his hand up and down her back comforting her. Kyle sits to the left of Isabel and curiously watches Alisha, Sandie, and Robert join hands.

With in moments they join the seven teens. Sandie sits on the floor a little to the left of Kyle while her parents stand in front of the group.

"We've seen and heard everything that Sandie did, and it looks like you handled the sheriff well enough, but these other three are going to be trouble. Their kind don't give up easily, and now they know you have information that's a treat to them. They will do whatever it takes to make sure you don't get the opportunity to use it."

"Mr. Gates . . . ."

"Call me Robert. After all you know more about me than most people do."

Max continues, "Robert, we already have a plan to deal with them, today was a way to stall for the time that we needed. We couldn't have them following us around like they had been."

"Do you mind if I ask you about this plan. I don't know if Sandie's told you or not, but that is my area of expertise."

Max and the others in the group explain what they have in mind, and together they refine the plan. They all decide it's best if Topolski doesn't know that Kyle knows about Max, Isabel, and Michael. They also think it best that she doesn't know about Alisha, Sandie, and Robert.

***************************

Sandie's V. O. after everyone left. ~*~*~*~*~*~ Today was to say the least, interesting. For the first time my life, that I can remember, I have true friends that accept me for who and what I am. It's the greatest feeling I have ever felt. Well, make that the second. After everyone else left, Kyle asked me to walk with him out to his car. I thought he wanted to make sure I didn't read more into him putting his arms around me or holding my hand then he meant, but I was happily wrong.

When we reached his car he took my hand in his and I swear I felt sparks. I think that he was going to say something, but instead he kissed me. I'm no expert on kissing, this was my first kiss; other then the usual hello, goodbye, and goodnight kisses one gets from their family: this was my first kiss from a guy, and it was magical. I felt things I've never felt before. At first it was sweet, but then I don't know if it was him or me, but it became more.

He only pulled away when my father and mother came to the door. I'm going to have to be more careful about blocking them out. It was really embarrassing when I realized that they were feeling what I was feeling. I can't even imagine what Kyle would have done if he knew. He was embarrassed enough being caught by my parents. I can't wait to see what happens tomorrow.

***************************

Max and Liz pull up in front of the Crashdown both feeling grateful that they are alone. This day has been one that they won't forget and doubt that the others will either. Max jumps out of the jeep after turning off the engine and quickly moves around the jeep to Liz's side, wrapping her tightly against his chest. Not ever wanting to let her go. "Max, I'm glad things turned out like they did, with Sandie and her family I mean. Do you think that everything else is going to work out as well?" She wants him to tell her that he does, even though she is sure that he has doubts as well.

"Everything will be fine you'll see. Together, you and I, along with the help of our friends were unstoppable." He draws her into a long and gentle kiss. When they both draw back; he releases his tight grip from around her small waist, leaving one arm still around her waist and with the other he grabs her backpack from the back of the jeep. They walk slowly to the stairs that led up to her home; not wanting to be apart. Up until this point they have drawn strength from each other. It has been an emotionally tiring day.

"Can I come up?" he asks almost pleadingly as he looks up the stairway. He doesn't want to go, he wants to stay with her, and make sure she feels safe and loved beyond measure. The way she makes him feel when they are together.

She wants him to stay, and she fights back the tears when she realizes that he can't. Her parents are both home tonight and they won't take it lightly her coming home so late on a school night.

"You know that I would love for you to, but . . ."

"I know, your parents. I'm sure that mine will be waiting as well." With that they share another long passionate kiss. "Good Night Max."

"Good night Liz, I see you our dreams." Liz smiles a heart warming smile as she turns to head up the stairs. *I can't wait*

"I can't wait either." responds Max.

Liz stops dead in her tracks, and turns back to face Max. "What did you say?"

Not aware of what just happened, Max repeats what he said, "I said, I can't wait either."

"How did you know what I was thinking?"

"Thinking? I heard you say you couldn't you couldn't wait."

Liz moves back down the stairs, "Max I didn't say it. I thought it."

"This could be another one of those great side effects of us being together."

"Yeah! But what I really want is for us to be together."

"Ah, the subject we've both been avoiding tonight has reared it's. . . . "

"Don't you say it. There is nothing ugly about it. I don't think we've avoided it. We've just had other things on our minds today. Although I'm not ashamed to admit that I've thought about it."

"You know I've thought about it. If only there were a way we could be together tonight." Max welcomes Liz back into his arms and sighs at the feeling of having her so close to him.

*Can you hear my thoughts?" Max nods his head yes as he thinks back, *Can you hear mine?"

*I can hear you, is there any way that you can come back tonight. I would love to have your warm, sexy body necked beside me in bed tonight."

*Sexy?*

*Oh yeah!*

*Only beside you?*

*No way!*

*Count me in!*

*How far?*

"Don't you get me started Liz or I'll never leave, and then look at the trouble we'll both be in."

*You better hurry. The faster you go, the faster you can get back.*

*Not until you're safely inside.* Liz gives Max a quick peck on the lips and dashes up the stairs and in through the door.

"Lizzy is that you?" She hears coming from down the hallway. "Yeah, I'm sorry I'm so late, but . . . ."

"That's okay dear, Robert Gates called to let us know that you lost track of time at his house. I'm really glad that you and Sandie are becoming such good friends."

A little surprised about Robert calling her parents, but then that night when secrets were revealed they did say there were advantages to having an adult on their side. This was definitely one of them. "Yeah, she's really sweet once you get to know her."

"Get some sleep dear, you have school in the morning."

As she head to the kitchen she says, "School, how could I ever forget that." Once in the kitchen she checks the fridge to see if there was anything left over from dinner. She is happily surprised to find one of her favorites, Chicken Enchilada Casserole. She scoops a little onto a small plate she pulls down from the cabinet, wraps a piece of plastic wrap over it from the drawer beside the sink, and places it in the microwave.

When the timer goes off she pulls it from the microwave. With a fork in hand she heads to her room to get ready for Max to arrive. She takes one bite, *Oh gosh this is good. I didn't realize how hungry I was.* She takes another bite, turns her radio softly; not wanting to keep her parents awake, and starts scavenging for something special to wear tonight.

************************* Max parks the Jeep a few houses down from his and walks the rest of the way. On the way he thinks about what he is going to do before leaving to go back to Liz's. *I'll grab bite to eat, I'm going to need my strength tonight, and a quick shower. I'm sure I smell atrocious from sweating all afternoon. By then everyone should be asleep and then I'll high tail it over to Liz's for a night to make us forget all about the day we've had.

Before he opens the door he once more runs over the excuse he planned to tell his parent's about being late and then turns the handle. However, he is met at the door by Isabel with her finger over her lips. She drops her hand and whispers, "Robert called and told them we were studying with Sandie. That she was helping us all study for a big History test that we have coming up and that we simply lost track of the time." Loud enough for her parents to hear she continues, "Mom made you a plate, it's in the fridge. I'm heading to bed. Pleasant dreams Maxwell, I know I will. See you in the morning."

"Is wait, can you get a ride in the morning. I'm going to. . .pick up Liz early." Isabel looks a Max kind of fun, but then agrees. "I planned to ride with Alex anyway." She turns on her heals and heads to her room.

Max walks into the kitchen, to the refrigerator , grabs the plate of food his mother made, grabs a fork and the Tabasco sauce, and heads through his room into his bathroom; locking the door behind him. He sets the plate on the sink counter and heats up the food by placing his hand over it, using his powers. He takes a few bites, turns on the shower to warm the water. Takes an other bite and undresses, and climbs into the shower.

************************ Liz climbs out of her shower, wrapping her towel around her, grabs a second towel and starts patting the extra water from her freshly washed hair as she heads into her room. She picks up her lotions from off the top of her dresser and sits on the edge of her bed. Pouring a generous amount in her hand she begins to rub the lotion up and down her legs. She pours some more in her hands and rubs it into her arms and shoulders.

After placing the lotion back on her dresser, she picks up the outfit she laid over the chair next to her desk, drops the towel to the ground and puts it on.

*********************************

Max finishes putting on a fresh pair of jeans and a dark blue, green, and white vertical striped shirt, and of course clean socks and his sneakers.

Feeling better after shaving and showering, Max grabs his jacket and heads out the window closing it behind him. He quickly, but quietly heads for the jeep.

********************************* Kyle is sitting in his room trying to forget the conversation he had with his father after returning from Sandie's. However it's not working completely. He starts thinking about how Sandie felt in his arms, the smell of her hair, how soft her lips are, and how their kiss seemed to have a life of it's own. He then remembers how her parents looked when they came to the door and caught them. He wondered if that was one of those moments that they could sense, Sandie said they sensed her feelings when thing go really intense, and things were getting intense there in the end; even though he kept his hands from roaming. After all it was still their first kiss.

That's when he ran into trouble. The thought of her parent sensing things because of the connection, the alien connection they had brought him back to his conversation with his dad every time.

His dad continued to ask the same questions over and over again about Max and what they were really doing out in the desert today. At one point he slipped up and said ‘they said that Teomner was died, but quickly changed it to, they said the guy was dead, you said that the guys name was Teomner. He then told his dad he was tired and that things were becoming a blur because of the continual questions and also because it was so late. He had to get some sleep for school tomorrow. All Kyle could think about was thank goodness no game tomorrow.

But as soon as his head hit the pillow he was wide awake, so there he was still awake remembering the night in detail, over and over again.

*********************************

Max parked the jeep across the street from Liz's and quietly advanced to her fire escape. He didn't even bother to call up, he knew she would be waiting for him. He peaked his head over the balcony wall and watches Liz writing in her journal. It amazes him how unbelievably sexy she looks.

Liz is wearing her hair down loose around her face, the way that Max likes it, and she is wearing a white slim strapped baby doll nightgown. Max lets his eyes roam up her shapely legs, over her natural curves until his eyes finally rest on her beautiful face. *Oh wow! She looks so sexy.*

"Hello Max."

"How did you know I was here?"

"I could feel your eyes, and . . . Sexy huh?"

Max pulls himself over onto her balcony. "You heard my thoughts, that's going to take some getting used to. And yes, sexy!"

Liz sets her journal on the lawn chair and moves closer to Max, stopping short by about a foot, and she begins to spin slowly, showing him her outfit a little more clearly. His eyes open widely when he notices just how little there is to it, her whole back is bare except for the straps the run over her shoulders and meet in the middle of her back at her waist. *It would be so easy to slip those straps right off of her shoulders.*

*How about we go inside and find out.*

*You being able to read my mind is going to cause some real problem.*

Liz looks puzzled as she asks, "What do you mean?"

"During the course of my normal day I must think about kissing you, being with you oh at least a hundred times."

"Only a hundred?"

"I did say at least."

Max hungrily takes Liz into he's arms and meets her lips in a deep succulent kiss. He guides her toward her bedroom window without removing his lips from hers until they reach the window. After stepping through the window, Max offers her his hand and assist her through the window; making sure she doesn't lose her balance and fall.

Part 28 | Index | Part 30
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.