FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"Save Me Come Tomorrow "
Part 3
by Dulcie
Disclaimer: The characters of Roswell do not belong to me.
Summary: The murder of a friend causes six people to become closer than they ever thought they could, and at the same time ripping at the seam of the secret that binds them together. Ha ha! Ambiguousness abounding!
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Save me Come Tomorrow,
Lead me to my Urgency
See, I’m No more No less
Of an angel than you’d have Me Be
Save me Come Tomorrow

Faith is one of the most difficult aspects of the human psyche that has ever been analyzed. Some people believe wholeheartedly—in anything—in themselves, in others, in God. Some never trust at all. I believe that everyone has a spiritual side, just as they have the physical, the emotional and sexual sides of their personalities. To neglect or deny those spiritual feelings is just as dangerous as ignoring one of the others. Because without some sort of faith, how are we human at all?

* * *

3166 Lovers Lane
Boston, Massachusetts
November 17th

“Still no word from Isa…er, Bella?” Maria asked from her rocking chair as Max sat at his desk poring over his latest letter. She didn’t say his name, but together, silently, they tacked on, “Michael?”

“No,” he ducked his head and tired to avoid worrying her. “I’m sure they are busy.”

She looked up from her book thoughtfully. “Ben, I know we’ve never really talked about it, but…do you know how to dream walk? Like Bella?” Maria pulled a blanket into her lap and picked up the kitten that Kyle had brought home for her. “I mean, because if you could…”

“No,” Max answered quietly. “Only she can really do that well. We all have our different talents. My specialty is apparently healing. The human body is so complex—it’s just hard to make everything perfect when you try to change the molecular structure of the human body. Bella dream walks well. If Drew could ever get his emotions under control, who knows what he would be capable of.”

Kyle hobbled into the den, only half-awake. “Breakfast?” he eyed Maria’s toast ravenously. Maria rolled her eyes.

“You take it, I’ll make more,” she offered.

“I can’t believe you are hungry the moment you get up. I have to think about it for at least ten minutes before I can put anything in my mouth.”

“Guys, I wanted to talk to you both about something important,” Max pushed his papers away from him.

“Shoot,” Maria replied, distracted, as she got up from chair and padded into the kitchen. She popped some toast in the toaster, and poured juice into cups for the three of them. Kyle watched Max with some interest.

“I’ve been thinking that maybe I should go down there. To make sure that Bel and Beth and Drew are okay,” Max started slowly.

Kyle almost choked on the juice.

“It would be a good way to find out if anyone is on our trail, too,” Maria mused thoughtfully, placing juice in front of Max and returning to the kitchen.

“I’ve been planning out a time to go,” Max gestured towards the papers in front of him, stretching his arms above his head.

“I don’t think you should go…” Kyle looked unsure. “What if we are being followed? Or worse, what if you going to see them tips whoever it is off to where we are? To where they are? Then we could all be in danger. Then we’d have to leave again, and go somewhere else.”

“But on the other hand, we have to know that they’re okay. There is a reason they aren’t answering Ben’s letters. If they are in danger, we have to save them,” Maria put microwave bacon on Kyle’s plate and offered Max his usual buttered toast, which he declined.

“Them? In danger? What are the odds?” Kyle asked sardonically, under his breath. Out loud, he argued, “I don’t see how Ben is going to be able to save all three of them from who-knows-how-many federal agents or whatever.”

“Are you saying you don’t care if something is wrong?” Max asked defensively.

“No. If anything, I’m agreeing with you—I think it *is* something silly—I think we have a wrong apartment number, or they’re busy working and going to school—trying to make ends meet, or something so far from dangerous that we’re going to feel really ridiculous when Ben comes home,” Kyle asserted.

“But there is only one way we will know for sure, and when it comes to my family, I think I’d rather be safe than sorry,” Maria countered from over the top of the refrigerator door. Max nodded gravely and finally Kyle shook his head, still in opposition, but not standing between them.

“I’m going to leave on Thursday,” Max said quietly, standing to leave for school.

“Will you be back for Thanksgiving?” Maria asked quickly, worried.

“Of course,” Max answered with a small smile. “I wouldn’t miss it.” He planted a light kiss on the top of her head and nodded at Kyle before he left. They would talk later. Max left this house in a somber mood, but felt his spirits lifting when he thought about finally getting to see Michael, Liz and Isabel again. They were almost all he thought about.

Yesterday
All my troubles seemed so far away
Now it looks as thought they’re here to stay
Oh, I believe in yesterday
Suddenly
I’m not half the man I used to be
There’s a shadow hanging over me
Oh Yesterday came suddenly…
Why she had to go I don’t know--
She wouldn’t say
I said something wrong
Now I long for yesterday
Yesterday
Love was such an easy game to play
Now I need a place to Hide away
Oh I believe in yesterday

* * *

Max handed his plane ticket and boarding pass to the flight attendant and she looked over his ticket before handing it back. Max chose a seat in the back of the plane—coach section, and waited quietly until take-off. He’d only been on a plane three times before—and he’d always been fascinated by the prospect of flying higher than eighty thousand feet. But the flight today was going to be endless—Max could already tell by the anticipation he felt—of seeing Isabel, of seeing Michael—of seeing Liz.

He had taken charge when he and Kyle and Maria had come to Boston—he scouted around, and found them a place to live, and he was trying to put himself and Maria through school, with Kyle’s help. Maria worked also, only part time, but she averaged about thirty hours a week at the video store, and so she knocked out a large part of the monthly rent. Using his new identity, he’d applied for scholarships, and was still waiting to hear back from some of them.

Occasionally, he and Kyle did have disagreements on what to do, and the need for secrecy, but they tried to present a united front—especially for Maria, who tended to freak out when things went wrong. Kyle was working at an auto parts store during the day—and had joined the local men’s club to play baseball at night and on the weekend. Max and Maria frequently went to watch him play—though neither one of them really enjoyed baseball. Max tried to humor Kyle as much as possible—for several reasons, but most importantly, because he knew his sister cared. But Max felt deep inside that Kyle had changed, too, since everything had happened, and Max tried to adjust accordingly. Max fell to sleep with these thoughts.

* * *

Liz was laid out on the arm of the couch, and Isabel was concentrating on coloring her toenails just perfectly.

“I don’t know why you just don’t…color them,” Liz giggled with a wave of her hand.

“I wouldn’t want Michael to come home and get all huffy about it. You know how he feels about the whole…powers thing,” Isabel rolled her eyes. “Plus, I never can quite match the color we pick.”

Michael came through the door and then knocked it shut with his foot, dropping his packages onto the kitchen table.

“Beth, Bella,” Michael gave them each a nod and Liz grinned at him.

“What on Earth have you brought us this time?”

“Maternity clothes,” Michael answered shortly, pulling them out of the bags.

Liz and Isabel erupted into laughter, leaving Michael looking very hurt.

“No, no,” Liz protested. “Just the idea of you…it’s amusing. Sweet.”

“Can you see him trying them on?” Isabel giggled.

“’Look at me from the side? Do I look fat?’” Liz mimicked in a girl’s falsetto, doubling over in another fit of laughter.

“I’m so glad you two find this so amusing,” Michael retorted sardonically.

Finally, Liz sat up and caught her breath. “Thank you, Michael,” she answered sincerely as he held up the flowered prints for her inspection. Isabel still bit her bottom lip in an effort to control the laughter threatening to break free at any moment. Liz got up and hobbled over to the kitchen counter.

“I made dinner,” she announced. “If you give me just a minute I will get it ready and then we can eat.” Isabel came to the kitchen table and sat down there, ruffling through the stack of mail.

“You have a letter here, Liz—from Max,” Isabel said softly, then as Michael shot her a warning look across the table, she quickly corrected herself—“um, Beth. From Ben.”

Michael was still peeved, but let it go, and decided to shoot her a look of satisfaction. “I also went by the bookstore today,” Michael slid several books across the table into Isabel’s lap.

“Lamaze, Your Guide to Home Birth, Midwivery for the Twentieth Century Woman,” Isabel read the titles aloud and shot Michael a crazy look, shaking her head. “There is no way Liz is going to give birth here at home,” Isabel shook her head.

“I figured we could hire someone from a home health care center and have them come out here for consultations, and then the birth itself,” Michael added. Isabel still looked very unsure.

“Drew, that’s insane…no one is going to come out here to deliver a baby.”

“Well, we can’t exactly go to the hospital, either.”

“But we’re not equipped with any of the equipment that a hospital has and a midwife would need.”

“We have towels, a sink…aspirin…what more do we need?” Michael countered.

“Guys!” Liz cut in from the stove. “I made chili for dinner, and it’s almost ready, so let’s talk about this later, okay?” Isabel noticed Liz looked rather nauseated.

“I just hate not knowing what to expect!” Isabel finally complained, pushing the open books away. Michael had nested over on the couch.

“What to Expect When You’re Expecting…An Alien?” he retorted dryly from behind his evening paper.

“Have you thought about names, yet, Beth?” Isabel finally asked as she watched Liz spoon chili into bowls. Liz ducked her head and became very shy.

“Yes,” she answered quietly. “If it’s a girl, and it’s alright with her daddy, I was going to name her Saskia Ellen. If it’s a boy, I was thinking about Michael Sebastian.”

Michael lowered his paper when he heard his name.

Isabel looked up sharply, “Ellen is my middle name,” she said with a small frown.

“I know,” Liz replied very quietly. “It’s Maria’s middle name, too. And I love you both, so what a better way to tell you?” Isabel’s eyes flooded with unshed tears and she tried very hard to maintain her composure. From the couch came Michael’s dry reply. “Knowing her mom, my girlfriend is lucky she didn’t end up with a middle name of Sunshine.”

“Why did you pick Saskia?” Isabel asked, her voice still a little shaky.

“Well, partly because it’s a family name, but also because I guess I’ve always wanted something more exciting that Elizabeth Anne. How boring.”

Liz had started to cry, but quickly hid her face in a dishtowel to wipe away her tears. She concentrated on dinner until she realized it had grown deathly quiet in the apartment. Turning around, she noticed that neither one of her companions had left, as she had thought, but instead had a new addition. As Max’s eyes roamed from her heart-shaped face, to her small breasts, down to her curvy tummy and down to her slender feet, Liz Parker fainted dead away.

* * *

“She’ll be okay,” Michael announced casually as he and Max carried Liz into the bedroom. “This is a pretty normal occurrence, I guess we’re just lucky I caught her this time.”

“She likes to faint?” Max asked incredulously.

“She’s so weak, Max,” Isabel tried desperately, watching the scene, very worried.

“Names!” Michael broke in, exasperated. “Drew, Ben, Beth, Bella,” he pointed at each one in turn and enunciated each one of their names. His voice then dropped to a whisper, “we have no idea who’s listening—who’s onto us. Secondly, the more that we are casual about this at home, the more likely we are to slip in public.”

“What’s wrong with her?” Max asked, regaining focus.

“She’s just upset,” Isabel pleaded. “She wants to be with you—and Maria. She wants us to be back together again. And can any of us blame her, Max?”

“Bel, one more time and I’m gonna…”

“Gonna what? Punch me?” Isabel quickly turned from Michael to Max.

“Stop fighting,” Max broke in. “Why are you guys acting like this is my fault?”

“Isn’t it? You’re the one who risked everything to save Beth,” Michael asserted.

“You would’ve done it, too,” Max finally said.

“Yeah, *now*. I would do anything for her,” Michael replied, pointing a finger at Beth, angry with Max.

“Would you do anything to save Maria?”

“Yes,” Michael responded, “but she’s my girlfriend—I love her. Beth wasn’t even your girlfriend then.”

“I loved her from the very beginning,” Max admitted.

“Stop arguing,” Isabel commanded softly as Liz started to wake. Max kneeled beside her bed.

“Max?” Liz asked, groggy.

“Oh, Liz, I’m here,” Max murmured, bringing his finger up to brush her cheek. Isabel backed out of the room, and Michael followed hesitantly.

“Max,” Liz whispered, bringing fingers up to his face in disbelief. Her face crumpled and tears started to roll down her cheeks. “I’m pregnant,” she finally managed to gasp.

“I know,” Max responded tenderly, kissing her gently. He slipped onto the bed next to her, and wrapped his arms around her.

“We were so stupid, Max,” Liz looked up into his face.

“Don’t worry, Liz,” Max whispered, tenderly, solemnly, looking deep into her eyes.

“Max…” Liz was lost in his eyes, feeling the love flow from his body to hers.

“Go to sleep, Liz, please. And I’ll be with you when you wake up,” he whispered tenderly.

And as she drifted off to sleep, Liz Parker felt safe.

* * *

The next morning, Max woke first, propped up on his side and feeling warm and lazy. He’d shed his clothes the night before on the floor beside the bed, and Liz had managed to slide over on the sheets to sleep next to him. She was asleep on her stomach, but she was tilted upwards onto his chest, and her long dark hair was curled in ringlets on his torso. She’d kicked off her sweat pants at some point during the night, and now her naked leg was extended and lodged between his knees. Max looked down and stroked her hair tenderly. She started to stir and he realized the state of nakedness that both of them were in.

“I love you,” Max whispered softly into her hair. Liz looked up at him, smiling, awake now.

“You have to leave now, don’t you, Max?”

“I talked to Drew and Bella last night. We’re going to bring you up to Massachusetts and send Jackson down here to stay with them. But we’re not going to do that until you get closer to your due date. I have to make sure everything is perfectly safe.”

“Good,” Liz let out a sigh of relief and rolled onto her back, still lodged tightly in the crook of his body.

“Liz, I’m sorry.”

“Sorry for what?” Liz asked, frowning.

“For everything…for ever causing you this much pain…”

“Max, stop apologizing to me. I love you, and that’s never going to change. I made this choice—to live my life with you, and I’m never going to regret that. I knew the day I fell in love with you that life was going to be hard, but how can I ever be sorry? When I look at you, Max, I know we are the lucky ones.”

Max pulled her to his chest and buried his face in her hair. She clung to his chest and kissed the skin there softly.

An hour later, Max arose and showered and kissed Liz goodbye. “Start writing to me, baby.”

“I will,” she promised. “Hug Ellen for me, and tell Jackson I miss him, too. I love you.” Bella stood at the door to their apartment and cried longingly into Max’s shoulder. “I miss you so much, Ben.”

“I know, Bel, and one day we *will* be together again. I can feel it,” Max nuzzled his nose in her neck, and withdrew, pulling Michael into an embrace.

“Is Ellen okay?” Michael asked softly, as if asking was an indulgence.

“She’s good—she’s still loud and talkative. And her hair is longer—down her back and it’s uh, it’s red now,” Max chuckled softly and Michael grinned.

“Give her this for me, will you?” Michael handed him a folded piece of paper and from outside the apartment, a car horn honked.

“That’s the cab,” Max kissed his sister softly on the cheek and departed. Isabel leaned on Michael for support, and as soon as the cab was out of sight, Isabel went and knocked on Liz’s door. Liz opened the door, showered and dressed.

“Are you okay?” Isabel asked softly.

“I feel so much better,” Liz admitted, gazing from Isabel to Michael. “I feel like I can do this now. I feel stronger.”

Michael smiled imperceptibly, almost, and Liz smiled back.

“I’m so glad,” Isabel sighed in relief and turned around, heading for the bathroom. “I have to go to work at noon and Liz goes in at ten thirty. Michael?”

“I work from eleven until seven,” Michael finally said, inspecting their refrigerator calendar.

“I work until eight,” Isabel nodded.

“I get off at two thirty,” Liz shook her head. Michael and Isabel exchanged a look.

“I can ask off early,” Isabel finally said.

“No, no, don’t do that,” Liz shook her head. “I can come home by myself. I’ll be fine.” Michael still looked unsure, but Liz just rolled her eyes playfully. “C’mon, guys, I’ll be fine.”

Isabel shrugged and stepped in the bathroom.

* * *

Max stepped through the door to find a deathly silent house. “Ellen! Jackson!”

Maria appeared at the top of the stairs. “Ben,” she answered coldly. “I think we need to have a little talk.”

“Okay,” Max agreed, uneasy by her demeanor.

“I think you need to answer a few questions for me,” Maria raised an eyebrow.

“Okay. Like what?”

“Where have you been?”

“Metarie…why? Did something happen, Ellen?”

“And who did you go to see there?”

“Ellen…”

“Who?” she insisted.

“Beth, Bella…Drew. What’s this all about?”

“And tell me something, *Ben,*” Ellen continued, coming down a couple of steps. Max remained silent. “How were things down there?”

“Good—they’re all good. Beth is…well, can we talk about this later?” Max started to take his coat off. “I have a note here for you from Drew.”

“Toss it up here,” Maria demanded, and Max tossed the folded square of paper neatly into her hands.

Maria unfolded it and read the few lines jotted by Michael. His handwriting…his words. Maria looked down on Max standing in the foyer and hurried down the stairs, flinging herself into his arms. “Max,” she muttered into his ear. “Something happened while you were gone.”

“You don’t say,” Max retorted, irritated.

“Something dangerous, Ben,” Kyle appeared from the kitchen and looked him straight in the eye.

“Let’s take a walk,” Max suggested, grabbing coats. Kyle shrugged his on and Maria let Kyle help her into hers.

“Okay, what in the hell is going on?” Max said after they rounded the corner of their block.

“The day you left, Ben, I came home from work and Michael was sitting at the kitchen table. Only it wasn’t him. And he was going through your papers.”

“What?!”

“I don’t know what he knows, but when I came home, he left and said he had some errands to run. He hasn’t come back, Max…but…he had his face,” Maria looked like she was on the verge of passing out and Kyle supported her arm.

“He’s fucking around with us,” Kyle retorted angrily.

“Why would he do that?” Maria asked, vulnerable.

“I don’t know….because he’s evil,” Kyle guessed sarcastically, with a move of his head that was so typically Maria that Max would have laughed if things hadn’t been so serious.

“This is bad,” Max sighed heavily.

“We have to warn them,” Maria insisted.

“I’ll go,” Max looked into the eyes of his friends and saw his own fear mirrored there. They might be too late.

To be continued…

Part 2 | Index | Part 4
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.