FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"New Understandings"
Part 6
by Beowulf
Disclaimer: I don't own the characters. Wish I did. I'm just borrowing them temporarily, and I promise to put them back none the worse for wear.
Summary: Roswell, based on the books NOT the TV series. Basically, this picks up immediately after the end of book #10 of the series. If you aren't familiar with the books, you might be lost. The some of the characters you won't know. Sheriff Valenti is dead. The Pod Squad is different. Max isn't a king. There is no Royal Four. Isabel is a cheerleader. Max is blonde. Liz's last name isn't Parker. Michael is not nearly as surly. Maria has curly hair. They have different powers as well. They can see auras, and a biggie is that they can not only change the shape of things, but change their appearance as well. There are others but I digress. Synopsis: Michael and Maria are finally together. Kyle Valenti is saved.
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Authors Note: I really enjoyed the Roswell High books. But I felt like Michael and Maria got short changed. The ten books spent a goodly amount of time developing Max and Liz's relationship. It seemed unfair that Michael realized how he felt about Maria and confessed his love to her, just to have the book and the series end a couple of pages later. Thanks To: I want to thank my beta readers, deah, Mysticalshevamp, ViLaNdRa194, and Tinkerbellgirl69. A very special thank you goes to shadowwalker. You are the *the best*! Your suggestions and comments were always dead on, and I think the story is better because of you. I owe you a lot.
Maria glanced across the table at Michael. At least he had come to their favorite table in the quad instead of disappearing completely. However, he was sitting as far away from her as was possible. She crossed her arms over her stomach and listened to the others talk about the situation that centered around what to do about Kyle.

The backpack at Max's feet contained the contents of Kyle's locker. He and the others would go through it later and destroy most of it. Hopefully they would find out some useful information about Project Clean Slate in the process.

"We need to come up with a plan," Max said.

"I have an idea," she finally spoke up.

"Good," Max said. "Let's hear it."

"I think one of you should change places with Kyle. And I think it should be Michael."

"You want me to just turn myself back over to the Clean Slate operatives?" Michael said. "Thanks a lot."

She looked up and their gazes met briefly. He looked away, and she looked back down.

He can't even stand to look at me, she thought.

She won't even look at me, he thought.

Eyes firmly riveted on the table, she continued. "You can defend yourself with a touch, Michael. Kyle can't. Also, even though Valenti didn't have you in the compound for very long, these operatives might know what you look like. It would be better to have you safely hidden if they decide to come looking for Michael Guerin. You disguise Kyle as somebody else, and everyone will be safe."

"It's a good plan, Maria," Max said. "I like it. Will you do it Michael?"

Michael nodded. "Although the idea of looking like Kyle makes me vaguely nauseous." It was a good plan, and he couldn't think of a reason to argue against it. His eyes slid back to Maria's down turned face. She'd said that he'd be 'safely hidden' as if that was her top priority. What about what he'd seen? What about Max?

The bell ending the lunch period rang and Maria jumped to her feet. "Are you ready to go, Isabel?" she asked and immediately took off toward the building.

"Sure," Isabel said gathering her things and started to follow Maria, but whirled toward Michael instead. "What is wrong with you?" she hissed.

"I don't know what you're talking about," he said coolly.

She gestured toward Maria's retreating back. "Why are you doing this to her?"

"Why don't you ask her?" he snapped, grabbed his books and headed in the opposite direction.

Isabel considered following him and demanding an answer, but she knew she would probably get more response from a rock. Michael could be damned stubborn when pushed. Instead she ran after Maria, and caught up with her just outside the English classroom. She grabbed hold of Maria's arm and pulled her into the restroom. She did a quick check to see if they were alone, and then turned to Maria.

"What is going on between you two?"

"I don't know. I don't know. He came over a couple of nights ago and we watched the all night fright fest. I fell asleep and when I woke up he was gone. He's been acting like this ever since." Tears filled her eyes and began to fall. "He's breaking my heart, Isabel. I love him and he's breaking my heart."

"He loves you. I know he does. He knows he does. It's just harder for Michael than for other people to make an emotional investment with someone. The only constant relationships he has had with anyone in his whole life is with the five of us. Don't give up on him, Maria."

"I don't think it's a matter of me giving up on him. I think he's given up on me." She wiped the tears away with her sleeve and turned to look in the mirror. "I look like the wrath of God. And I have a whopper of a headache."

"Let me get rid of that headache for you. And I'll see what I can do about the red, puffy eyes too." Isabel took Maria's hand and made the connection. She worked her magic, and the headache disappeared. When Maria looked in the mirror she looked one hundred percent better.

"Thanks."

"Don't mention it. What are friends for?"

@@@@@@@@@@

After the last class, Michael headed to his car. As he reached for the door handle he saw Liz sitting in the passenger seat. She didn't look happy. Well, join the club, he thought. He tossed his books in the back and slid into the driver's seat.

"I want some answers," Liz said.

"OK."

"Shut up," Liz snapped.

Whoa! Maybe unhappy wasn't a strong enough word.

"I want some answers about what is going on between you and Maria."

He opened his mouth to speak and she cut him off again.

"Don't even think about telling me to ask her. I'm asking you. But know this, Michael. Maria is my best friend. She's been my best friend for almost as long as I can remember. She is the most loving and giving person I know. No one treats her the way you have, I won't stand for it."

Michael allowed a few beats of silence. "Can I talk now?"

"Yes."

"I think Maria has feelings for Max."

Liz's mouth dropped open. It was so absurd that she had the urge to laugh, but Michael appeared to be serious. "I don't believe it."

Michael scrubbed his face with his hands. "Well do. I went to the dream plane a couple of nights ago and looked into her orb. She was having a dream about Max that wasn't exactly a gal-pal kind of dream. Then last night when he drove her home, she and Max hung out for a long time holding hands and talking." He looked over at Liz. "I think I'm sort of the consolation prize."

Once again Liz fought the impulse to laugh. "Michael, you need to talk to her about this. She can't tell you what's going on in her heart if you don't give her the chance. Soon, Michael. I mean it. If you don't tell her what's bothering you, I will."

Max stuck his head in the open passenger side window. He smiled at Liz. "Telling secrets?"

Liz opened the door and got out. "No secrets. Michael was just telling me a funny story." She stuck her head back in the window and glared at Michael. "Soon," she repeated. She turned away from him and linked her arm through Max's heading toward the jeep.

Michael leaned his head back against the headrest and shut his eyes. Liz didn't believe it. Logical Liz , who always looked at each situation with a cool, scientific eye. Maybe he was nuts.

Part 5 | Index | Part 7
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.