FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"Naked Is A State of Mind"
Part 5
by Jezebel
Disclaimer: I do not own Roswell or anything related to it. I make no profit of off this.
Summary: Sequel to Survival
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Max crept toward the "facility" as stealthily as he could. He narrowed his eyes as the blinding heat made the air shimmer. He could see the main building. It was only a few yards away. He could make it, he knew he could. Then he could get Izzy and Michael, and find Liz, and everything would be right in the world. He heard a sound of screeching tires behind him and looked up. A Hummer had pulled in several hundred yards behind him. The door opened and several men climbed out, but Max didn't see them. He took off at a dead run in the direction of the facility.

He had no place else to go. He was surrounded by barb wire fences on every side except the one behind him, and if he could just reach the facility before they did...

****

Michael and Isabel both looked up in their separate cells as they saw a body being dragged through the hallway. "It's Max," Isabel whispered. "Max! Max!" "Oh my God," Michael said.

Marcus appeared, looking particularly pleased. "Now we have all three of the little invaders. Tell me, do you enjoy watching Isabel be tortured?"

"Why the fuck do you want to know, you sick bastard?" Michael growled through gritted teeth.

"Because," Marcus said with a smile. "I want to know if Max will enjoy watching Liz be tortured just as much." ***FIVE MONTHS LATER***

Liz awakened, feeling happy and well-rested. She curled her body into a ball on a feather-soft bed, and then started as she felt the bulge of her belly. She sat up abruptly and touched the rounded shape that malformed the whole front of her body. The room was dark and she could barely see the outline of her own hand. Where was she? What the hell was going on? She closed her eyes and it all came back to her. Roswell, the fires, running as far and fast as they could, finding out she was pregnant...Max. Max had left her!

"Jesus Christ," she whispered. "What the hell happened to me?"

There was no answer from the empty room. She set her feet on the carpeting and wriggled her bare toes in the soft thickness of it. She could tell simply by the sensations that it was a shag carpet. Liz stood up and stumbled toward the wall, feeling her way around a chair and a table. Sighing with relief, she found the light switch and flipped it on. She shrieked and fell back as the simple yellow lights blinded her. She opened her eyes slowly, letting them adjust to the new abundance of light. She looked around in amazement at an old motel room, covered with fixtures dating to the seventies.

Liz reached up to scratch her head, and realized that her hair was an awful lot longer than she remembered it being. She rushed into the tiny bathroom and peered at herself in the mirror, wincing at the sight.

Her body looked normal, except for the bulge of her pregnancy, which showed clearly through the thin nightshirt she was wearing. Her hair reached to her chin, and the ends were a ghastly light red, while the rest was nearly black. Dark circles framed her sunken eyes. Liz closed her eyes and tried to remember the last thing that had happened to her.

The last thing she remembered was being in a canyon, and a bus crash-"Oh my God," Liz whispered. "What did they do to my baby?"

****

Max looked up as a doctor ran in through the heavy metal door at the end of the hall. He could hear Isabel vomiting through the glass partition that separated them. He sighed and rubbed his face. Isabel was sick and everyone knew it. She hadn't been able to keep anything down since her pregnancy began, and she would be malnourished if not for the needles they stuck in her veins to provide her body with some sustenance. She was horribly thin anyway; all the nutrients went directly to the baby.

Max was simply glad that Liz wasn't here for them to experiment on like they did Isabel. From what Michael told him, at one point they had Liz, and then they lost her again. Michael didn't know how they lost her; she was just gone.

He groaned in shared pain as Isabel began her dry heaves. The doctor pulled at her arm to pull her away from the toilet, and she swatted at him angrily. She was six months pregnant and all three teens doubted that she would carry her baby to term, no matter what the doctors did. There was just something wrong. Max remembered how he had vomited when Michael told him of Liz's pregnancy. He had left her alone and pregnant, and he had never known. She had never told him! That was the thing Max couldn't understand. She had to have known. That must have been the reason for her disturbed behavior in the last few days before he left. And yet, she had not even hinted. He never would have left her, had he known.

And now there was nothing he could do.

****

Liz had no clothing but the thin shirt she wore, and she couldn't have cared less. There was a single car key on the worn table. She recognized the symbol for Honda on the plastic part of the key. She opened the door and sure enough, there was a maroon Honda Civic parked in front of the motel door. She looked up at the sign for the hotel. It said simply, "Motel 6 Roswell."

She looked around for a moment in shocked amazement. She didn't know who had done this, or why, but she was certain that she would find out.

For right now, she had one goal.

She was going to find Max, wherever he was, and whatever the cost.

Part 4 | Index | Part 6
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.