FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"Let's Pretend"
Part 1
by Anne M.
Disclaimer: I don't own Roswell, but if I did . . .
Summary: This fic is based slightly on spoilers of a future Max visit to Liz. Beyond that, it's just a product of my, ahem, imagination. What can I say? I had a dream . . .
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Authors Note: Dedication: Miranda, always. Gale, you make me laugh and inspire me. Linda R., I should blame this on you and your wonderful stories lately . LSS (sister #4), hope this makes you smile.
*I love you in a place where there's no space or time.*
*I love you for my life, you are a friend of mine.*
*And, when [this] life is over,*
*remember when we were together.*
*We were alone and I was singing this song for you.*
--Carpenters

Liz watched as he got up to leave through a bittersweet haze, left behind by words that still hung in the air between them, as if they could be touched and turned and examined from any angle. And later they would be. But not now. Now, he was leaving, and there were still things she had to know.

Liz: "Wait."

At the reluctant look on his face, she knew he was unwilling to stay, but she was determined to try. He owed her this much after coming here and turning her life inside out.

Liz: (quietly) "Please."

His face perceptibly softened, and he knew he was lost. He couldn't resist her in any dimension. This Liz was young. So young. He had memories of her this way, of course, but the everyday version was fourteen years older and married . . . to him. Still beautiful. Still the only one for him. Still the uncompromised possessor of his soul.

Understanding that he had made his decision to stay, she took a deep breath and asked the first of many questions that were burning in her mind.

Liz: "You said we were married. How long have we . . . ?"

Max: (eyes steady and serious) "Twelve years."

Liz: (face expressing the astonishment she was feeling clearly) "But, that's . . . That means we get married just two years from now."

Max: "That's right."

Liz: (clearing her head and forcing herself to just ask the questions for now and contemplate the answers later) "Do we have children?"

Max: (small smile) "Yes."

Liz: "How many?"

Max: "Six. Ages 12 to 2."

At the thoroughly amazed look on her face, he felt compelled to explain.

Max: "Apparently, birth control doesn't work very well for us."

Liz: (giving up the battle to be clear headed, she let his answers into her heart and closed her eyes as the flood of emotion raged) . . . (finally, her eyes snapped open) "Wait. If we've only been married twelve years . . . "

He watched as her face closed and her expression became harder and forbidding. He'd seen that look before but it had been a long time. The experience had never been a pleasant one.

Liz: (nodding slightly) "So. You had to marry me because I was pregnant."

Max: "That's not true. At least, not the way you mean it."

Liz: (clearly upset now) "Why would we have done something so careless? Why would I have let you risk . . . ?"

The look on his face spoke volumes. It was the same look he always wore when someone asked a completely ridiculous question.

Max: "Liz Parker. I had to marry you, but not because you were pregnant. Being without you became more unbearable every day. I couldn't rest until you were mine, and we could go to bed at night without waking up a few hours later and running all over town, to keep our parents from finding out. Marrying you, the ceremony, was just a formality. I married you the first time we made love."

Liz felt heat suffuse her face in a blush that reached from her toes to the roots of her hair. After all, this Liz Parker was still a virgin. True to her character, however, he watched her straighten her spine and face him, in spite of the uncomfortable embarrassment she was feeling. Her eyes were so intent, he wondered if she was trying to see the answers for herself by staring into his.

Max: "I better go now . . . "

Liz: (not even acknowledging that he'd spoken) "Show me."

Max searched her eyes and felt the hurt and loneliness that she was feeling now and had been feeling for months. He weighed the cost, and in the end, decided that if he could ease a little of that, he would. This Liz and her Max still had a long way to go. She'd already suffered so much . . .

He slowly brought his hands up to hold her face, as his eyes met hers, seeking a connection that always appeared as if by magic when summoned and sometimes when it wasn't. Their breathing slowed and matched pace, as their heartbeats sought the same rhythm. His hands slid from her face to her shoulders and rested there, as his memories began to unfold in her mind.

Liz could hear them. See them. Feel them. He was remembering a time before they were married. ---------------------------------

**They were finally back together after many long months of separation that had tortured them both. They had been apart for more than a year when all was said and done. Liz was waiting tables in the Crashdown on this day out of time. A rare event for that time because she no longer worked there. However, her Dad had been in a bind, so she decided to do what she could to help him out. It was a heroic effort on her part, considering the fact, that she'd maybe had two hours of sleep last night if she was really optimistic. The reason for her lack of sleep, was walking in the door right now. Max. As she leaned over to take an order, she felt the fire fly through her body at his presence in the room. He looked tired, too. But, there was more to his expression. Something . . . knowing. He watched her, intently, almost as if he knew how her body was responding to him now and how it had felt before he walked in . . . sore, pleasantly aching, sensitive . . .**

---------------------------------

Max's memory was sharp and clear, . . . poignant. But, before she could completely surface, her attention was caught again by more images as they flashed through her mind . . .

---------------------------------

**Walking into the Crashdown, he realized that he couldn't help himself. He couldn't stay away from this girl. He'd been with her all night until 5 o clock this morning. They had been insatiable last night. He'd only slept two hours, and already, here he was, at 9 o clock, unable to bear being away from her any longer. Ever since they had made love the first time, the need to be with her had become excruciating. Growing daily. Something had to change. Soon.

The rush inside the restaurant had died down, and now there was really nothing to distract her from his presence. Liz sucked in her breath, at the play of emotions across his face. She had no idea what he was thinking exactly, but something different was going on with him today. Max's eyes dropped from her face to the soft cotton t-shirt, she'd pulled on this morning over breasts that were much too sore for a bra today. He could spend hours with her in his mouth . . . sucking until she cried because he wouldn't let her come. And he had . . . last night. Listening to the affect it had on her and watching her face was as big a pleasure as the actual feel of her skin against his tongue.

His eyes might as well have been his hands for the way they made her body react. Liz forced herself to turn away quickly and almost ran to the kitchen to turn the order in before slipping into the backroom. Her head dropped into her hands, as her shaking limbs refused to listen to reason. A moment later the door opened again and there was no doubt in her mind who stood behind her. He didn't say a word. There was no need. He was concerned about her but he already knew why she'd run and how she was feeling now, so he wasn't worried. His hands came to rest on her shoulders as he pushed her hair away from her neck with his face, nuzzling his nose against her throat. She smelled clean and sweet and like she'd had a shower this morning. She also smelled hot. She felt his breath on her skin just before his mouth settled on her throat, setting fire to blood that was already raging through her veins. Her head snapped up as his hands slid off her shoulders to cup her aching breasts.

Liz: (head falling back onto his shoulder and eyes sliding shut) "Not here, Max," she whispered.

Max heard the desperate tone if not the exact words and understanding cut a swath through his mind that had long since given up on caution. Glancing around quickly, his eyes sought out and found a small supply closet . . . equipped with the most important thing being a door.

Sliding his feet under hers and locking one arm around her tiny waist, he kept her pressed firmly against him, totally unwilling to lose contact with her now. He took a few steps and reached with his other hand for the doorknob. It twisted easily even though it had been locked.

Once inside, with the door locked firmly behind them, Liz spun to face him, grateful for the privacy so she could finally seek out the relief she so desperately needed. Liz rose up on her toes to find his mouth with hers, but as the kiss deepened she only felt more frustrated from this position. She needed to feel him against her. Her hands slid from around his neck down his chest, pausing teasingly over his nipples before making their way to his jeans. Placing her hand over the straining bulge, she squeezed with a force that stopped just short of pain. The low growl that filled her mouth, heightened her desire to hear it again. Before she could pursue that goal, Max's hand stilled hers and he pulled away from the kiss, breathing raggedly, but determined. Liz's confused expression almost made him forget his good intentions. Her body had been through a lot last night and he knew she was still sore today. As much as he wanted to give in and lose control, he couldn't. He couldn't hurt her.

Max: (hoarsely) "Turn around."

Max thought he saw the sheen of tears in her eyes just before she complied with the request. His heart gave a painful contraction at the thought of hurting her feelings, but he had to try.

At the first touch of his hands on the hem of her skirt, brushing her legs, Liz reached out blindly for anything with which to brace herself. Her legs were shaking so badly, she wasn't sure she could stand without support. Her skirt slid up until she could feel the contrast of cool air and warm hands on her behind. The trembling ceased as fast as it had started. It was almost as if her body had other more important things to occupy itself with now. Max's hands were gentle, and belied the emotions that were still pushing him mercilessly toward wrecklessness. No underwear. He hadn't counted on that. Damn.

Closing his eyes, Max's hands moved around to her breasts, once more. The t-shirt provided precious little protection from the assault on her nerves that his hands worked tirelessly to produce. Her nipples tightened painfully, just from the warmth of his hands through her shirt. Gasping as her mind struggled to accommodate her body's lightening speed changes, Liz ached to stop this unnerving, determined gentleness on Max's part. Arching her back, she pushed herself more firmly against his hands and whimpered softly as his fingers lightly pinched her nipples. Her hands clenched into fists and her eyes squeezed shut as the torturous gentle caresses continued. Finally, his hands released her aching flesh and moved between her slightly parted legs. Nudging them apart just a little wider, Liz sighed in relief as she felt his fingers inside her body, and heard the rasp of the zipper being lowered by his other hand. The exquisite pleasure of his fingers was quickly replaced, and Liz wondered how in the world they would do this. She felt swollen and impossibly snug not to mention sore.

Max wondered how he would maintain this pace. His breathing was labored at best and fine tremors and small beads of perspiration testified to the toll on his body right now.

Liz: (breathy) "Oh God. (swallowing painfully) Just hurry, Max."

Lifting the hem of her shirt up and over her head, discarding it completely, Max cupped her bare breasts once more, and pushed a little deeper inside at the answering wetness easing his way in response to the stimulation. As he squeezed her hardened nipples between his fingers and rocked back and forth, the steady motion eventually filled her completely, wringing a sigh of relief from both of them.

Liz felt the sticky tears on her face and tasted the salt in her mouth before she even realized that she was crying. Not in pain, but because of the overwhelming tenderness that Max always treated her with. His thoughts and feelings were completely open to her now and she understood the need that he felt for her and at what cost his restraint had been won. Her mind also lay completely exposed to him. He could feel now that she wasn't in any pain, and how much she loved him crashed through the connection next. The realization of both forced his hands to her hips and dramatically changed the power and speed with which he drove into her. Her body screamed for release, but before the first tremors could lead to the next, Max stopped and pulled away. Turning her to face him quickly, he picked her up and guided her legs around his waist, pinning her between his body and the wall at her back. His mouth was hot and open against her throat, and his erection dug mercilessly into her soft, wet curls. Liz squirmed against him, desperately trying to force him back inside. Max's mouth was devouring her body and soul as he finally, lifted her just enough to drive into her once more. He pumped into her with a force that blinded them both to anything else in that moment. His body was straining in every muscle with the exertion, and Liz knew this was what she wanted from him. This shameless, unreserved need . . . and the answering fulfillment.

It *was* wild. And, it was beautiful. Together. Perfect.

Max held her tightly to him as her legs slid slowly from around his waist. He rested his forehead against hers and closed his eyes, as they both fought for breath. They were slick with sweat and right now Max would've given his kingdom for an available place to take a shower with her.

Max: (eyes still closed) "I love you, Liz."

Liz still felt too emotionally raw to speak, but Max could feel the sentiment pouring through the connection they still shared. Her face was a study in contentment. Her eyes remained closed and he could feel her still in the last throes of release. Reluctantly, leaving her body, he kissed her forehead before he set her down gently.

When her feet finally hit the floor, the expression on her face changed. Her eyes flew open and she winced in discomfort.

Stepping back from her slightly but making sure she wouldn't fall, he said, "Here." Liz watched him through eyes that revealed more about how meant they were for each other than if it had been written in the stars. Reaching behind her knee, he brought her foot to rest on his thigh. His hand was warm and soothing as it slid between her legs and brought healing to her sensitive flesh.

Opening her eyes, as his hand withdrew, she reached out and captured it, bringing it to her lips and placing a kiss filled with overwhelming adoration on the back. Max watched her and knew in his heart that he had to have her. All of her. Commitments . . . legal, moral, binding. For him, it was already done. But they lived in this world, and so must observe its rules.

Max: (eyes still holding hers) "Marry me, Liz."

Liz: (slowly lowering his hand from her lips but eyes remaining steadily on his) "Yes."** ---------------------------------------

Max removed his hands from this young Liz Parker and waited for the visions to clear from her mind before stepping back.

Her eyes lost the unfocused stare a moment later, and she sank into the chair behind her, as if grateful to find that it was still there.

Max: "We didn't even know you were pregnant yet when I asked you to marry me, Liz. Do you understand now?"

Liz: (looking up from her thorough inspection of the ground to meet his eyes) "Yes."

Max: "I have to go now."

Liz: (voice raw with emotion) "I understand. . . . Thank you."

Max smiled a little at that, before turning to walk away, his image fading with every step he took away from her.

Liz looked up at the stars and knew for the first time in months that she still had a reason to keep believing.

The End

Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.