FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"If You're Gone"
Part 4
by Sparrow
Disclaimer: Not mine! All characters are the property of Jason Katims, the WB and all those other powers that be. - Words and music were the inspiration but belongs to Rob Thomas & Matchbox 20 - If you have the CD - pop it in and listen while you read! The other song belongs to Alanis. - Just borrowing! And thanks to crashdown.com for the episode scripts - saved me a lot of rewind time!
Summary: Now that Alex is home from Sweden, his band, "The Wits" have begun rehearsing for Amateur Night at The Local Club (it was never given a name, and that's how they referred to it in the transcripts for Blind Date). Maria decides this would be a good opportunity to put some much-needed distance between her and her "stonewall" and throws herself into practices essentially ignoring Michael. However, Michael's reaction to their separation and the performance is not at all what she expected.
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Authors Note: Since this is my first attempt at fan fiction, I would be really appreciative of any comments as long as they are constructive. This story is already posted on two other fan fiction message boards. http://pub24.ezboard.com/broswellfanaticsfanfictionfrm1 and http://pub35.ezboard.com/broswellfanaticsfanfiction Authors Note 2: Okay I'm a bit worried that things might get confusing because there are so many things going on. Since there are no bold type or italics available, flashbacks are between slashes ///Flash/// and indented, thoughts are in *Stars*, the song Maria will sing is in "quotes". Whew (wipe the brow), got it?
Friday night - The Local Club

No one was really paying attention to the band on the stage doing a bad rendition of Led Zeppelin's 'Stairway to Heaven'. Off key voices and poor guitar playing filled the room at the Local Club's amateur night. The 'Young Led's' were more interested in looking good than sounding good, prancing around the small stage as though they were the highest paid entertainers in the world. The audience was chattering noisily, completely ignoring the band. One irate customer even shouted out for them to unplug and stop doing damage to one of the classics. Meanwhile, an entirely different drama was occurring back stage.

"Ohmygodohmygodomygodohmygodohmy.."

"Maria! YOU PROMISED!" Alex whined, his hand gripping her shoulders trying desperately to shake her out of this panic. No one could hear his loud voice over the cheesy music. 'The Whits' were gathered around their freaked out lead singer.

".godohmygodohmygodomygodohmygodohmygod!"

"This is not good dude," Markos commented shaking his own head.

Chris nervously tapped his drumsticks against his thigh and inquired, "What are we going to do?"

"MARIA! SNAP OUT OF IT!" Alex yelled, and gave her a single, slow shake, just as the band on stage struck their last out-of-tune note.

The audience only sporadically clapped at the end of the set, which only emphasized the volume of Alex's voice. Murmurs could be heard from the club's seating area commenting on the fact that something more interesting was going on backstage.

Fortunately, the M.C., jumped up on stage and began doing a bit of comedy to try and calm the audience down. Behind the curtain, Maria had stopped verbally panicking and was now just sort of starring at Alex's chin, a kind of glazed look in her eyes.

"Maria, come on.."he pleaded again, bending at the knees so he could look into her green eyes. "You have such an amazing voice, you've done this kind of thing before... please Maria.. Please, please, please."

Suddenly, Maria's eyes cleared and she took a deep calming breath. "Cypress oil." She commanded and held out a palm face up. Nicky, the lead guitarist nodded and dashed over the wall peg where Maria had hung her bag. As he hurried back to her he dug around inside the bag for the vial of oil.

"Good thing we rehearsed this." Chris whispered in an aside to Markos as Nicky proudly presently the vial to Maria. "I think that's his best time yet."

Maria pulled out the stopper and positioned the vial under her nose and inhaled. Immediately she felt better, calmer, and ready to take on the world. She knew her panics were only temporary but tonight they just vanished due to the fact that Michael had just walked into the club. She looked down at the vial she held and wondered, **How did I know he's here?** Maria closed her eyes and concentrated on her breathing, seeking.... him.

Michael couldn't breathe. When he walked into The Local Club with Max and Isabel he felt such an overwhelming sense of fear that he almost bolted back out the door.

Sensing something amiss, Max grabbed his arm and reined him in, "What's wrong?" He inquired softly, thinking the worst.

For a moment, Michael couldn't answer him but just as suddenly as the feeling came over him, it dissipated. "It's nothing Maxwell..," and he left it at that.

Max looked at him quizzically and was about to press the issue but Isabel prevented that from happening by pointing out Liz to him. Distracted, Max looked over his at her only to see her toss her hair over her shoulder and then playfully punch Maria's loser cousin Sean on the shoulder. His mouth opened slightly as it dawned on him that Liz..... was flirting.

Catching the aim of Max's attention, Michael said "Come on Romeo, let's grab a table. Look, there's Kyle and Tess," and shoved Max in the direction Isabel had begun walking in. Weaving in and out between filled tables, the three 'Czechoslovakians' joined Tess and her less than welcoming human.

"You know if it wasn't for Maria....." Kyle growled only to be nudged by Tess's elbow.

"Knock it off Buddha-boy. Play nice," she whispered.

The tension in the room was on the rise. Kyle was glaring angrily at Max. Max was staring despondently at Liz. Isabel feigned boredom, trying not to look too eager for Alex's band to play. Tess was thinking about following destiny or following Kyle. Liz was trying not to have a good time with Sean. Michael body was rigid, tight as a bowstring set to snap because Brody just walked in the door. Max's twenty-something boss has a thing for seventeen-year-old Maria. *Pervert,* he commented silently to himself. Maybe he'd take Rath up on his offer to kill him.**You're Mine**

"And now ladies and gentlemen The Local Club is proud to present, in their return performance..." the M.C. stood center stage, emphasizing each word with a dramatic gesture, holding the last syllable like a wrestling announcer. ".Thaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh Whits!"

Just before they were called to the stage, Maria, Alex and the rest of the band all took a quick peek through the side curtain to check out the audience. Seeing the packed house, the boys looked worriedly at Maria. To their surprise, the grin on her face told them she was not only calm, but well..on the prowl.

When their name was announced, Maria smoothed her hands down her leather-clad thighs and adjusted the tight skirt to sit a bit lower on her hips. Shaking out her hair, which curled in golden waves down her back, she licked her pouty lips, painted the same deep berry as her bareback fringed halter-top and strut out onto the stage, her eyes glued to......Brody.

Since they had performed here previously, the owner had requested that they do two songs instead of one. They chose something that would kick ass, and the one that their lead singer had begged them to learn in a week. Maria took her position and turned her back to the audience. Chris counted them in and when the music started, all Michael could see was Maria's ass bouncing as her leg kept time with the music while she was waiting for her cue to sing. He stuffed his hands in the pockets of his leather jacket and sulked.

As if sensing him watching her, Maria spun around and bent forward dramatically and sang to him, "I want you to know, I'm happy for you. I wish nothing but the best for you both." *Alanis rocks,* she thought as she continued the song. **Watch this Spaceboy.** Maria strutted up and down the stage, swiveling her hips, oozing sexuality and driving the boys wild. Most of the patrons got up to dance during the first chorus of the song, Maria threw her arms above her head during Nicky's solo and danced madly sliding her hands down her neck and body, directly in front of where Brody was standing.

Maria knew Brody liked her and it really wasn't fair what she was doing but..war is hell. The place was rocking, and the crowd responded to the intensity in Maria voice and the tight sound of the band. Anytime one of Alanis' lyrics could be used to taunt Michael, she turned up the heat another notch. By the time she reached the last verse of the song she squatted down in front of Brody and ran her fingers through his hair as she sang "And every time I scratch my nails down someone else's back I hope you feel it.", her green eyes boring into Michael's glaring hazel ones over Brody's head. She ran her tongue over her top lip and made a kissing motion at him. Michael raged and gripped the table in front of him so hard his knuckles turned white.

The band finished the song to a standing ovation, the cheers so loud the whole room shook. Alex came up to Maria and gave her a quick hug with one arm, the other still clutching the strats of his base. Alex then took the mike from her and introduced the band while Maria got a quick drink of water from the bottle at the base of Chris's set. When he said Maria's name, the crowd cheered for more.. "All right guys," Alex assured them " Thanks a lot. We've got one more for you.."

Michael couldn't take it anymore and his thoughts were so intense that they drowned out what Alex was saying. **Who the hell does she think she is acting like a...a.. tramp and showing that much skin! Only I should see that much. She's mine.** He felt unnaturally possessive and mean and that really scared him so he stood up to leave, shaking off Max's hand from his arm.

Maria grinned hugely at Alex and took the microphone back to address the audience. Her smile faded when she saw Michael pushing his way through the crowd and she called out. "This next one's a dedication." The band took that as their cue and began the first chords of the song as Maria finished. "This one's for you .....'ditto.'"

Michael stopped, his hand on the door. He slowly turned around as she began to sing.... just to him. As he connects with her eyes across the crowded floor.. another connection is made, an invisible one, triggered by the words that bring forth memories.....flashes.

"I think I've already lost you
I think you're already gone."

/////Flash////

Maria is so crushed when she sees Michael leaving the club. Hurting him hurt her. She wanted him to stay, to listen, to hear how much she loves him....needs him...wants him.

/////End Flash////

"I think I'm finally scared now
You think I'm weak - But I think you're wrong."

/////Flash/////

"It's not just about you! What you do affects me. That's how relationships work, and whether you like it or not, we are in a relationship! Okay, so go ahead and hate me, but I am not going to let you get hurt. I care about you too much!" she cried, tears in her eyes.

"Maria, I have been waiting for this my WHOLE LIFE!" he responded passionately.

"So have I!" the tears streaming down her face tore him in half.

/////End Flash////

"I think you're already leaving,
Feels like your hand is on the door."

/////Flash////

"I just don't really do this." He said, not looking at her.

"Don't do what?" Maria's hand was on her hip, her wide eyes staring at him.

"Get intense like this.... I'm alone and that's the way its gotta be. Maybe we never should have started this." He regretted saying it as soon as it came out of his mouth.

"I'm gonna go outside and get some air."

/////End Flash////

"I thought this place was an empire,
But now I'm relaxed - I can't be sure"

/////Flash////

"If I'm such a loser, why do you want to be with me?"

/////End Flash////

"I think you're so mean- I think we should try,
I think I could need - this in my life.
I think I'm just scared - I think too much.
I know this is wrong it's a problem I'm feeling,"

/////Flash////

"What do you want me to say?"

"I don't know, just say something, you know, to make me feel calm, to make me feel like that everything is going to be okay."

"Maybe it's not going to be alright."

"Thanks, that helps a ton." Sarcasm turned Maria's voice sour.

"What do you want me to do?" he asked so frustrated that he dragged both hands down his face.

"I don't KNOW!"

"SHUT UP THEN!"

"I .. I HATE YOU!"

"DITTO!"

"You know all I ask of you is just to try to make me feel better, you know, be a guy or whatever."

"Forget it." Maria walked away from him muttering under her breath, "I have obviously tried to bark up the wrong tree here"

/////End Flash////

"If you're gone - maybe it's time to come home.
There's an awful lot of breathing room,
But I can hardly move.
If you're gone - baby you need to come home.
Cuz there's a little bit of something in me,
In everything in you."

/////Flash////

Michael hopped off of the tabletop he was sitting on and strode purposefully toward the girl that he just couldn't figure out. Grabbing her arm, he spun her around and kissed her full lips. He only meant for it to last a moment, but she put her tiny hand on his chest and the kiss naturally deepened. Both of them pulled back, stunned. "That was too calm you down," he told her.

"Thanks," she stated. At that point, both of them spun around and walked in opposite directions.

/////End Flash////

"I bet you're hard to get over,
I bet the moon just won't shine."

/////Flash////

Maria and Liz sat together on Liz's bed digging spoons into a carton of Rocky Road ice cream, sharing their experiences with their respective Czechoslovakians.

"Michael's kiss was... explosive!" she told Liz, stars dancing in her green eyes. "Oh no! What if they've ruined it for us with everyone else? Leave it to Michael to wreak havoc on the rest of my life, even though he wants no part of it!"

/////End Flash////

"I bet my hands I can stay here,
I bet you need more - more than you mind."

/////Flash////

"Wait. Don't do this to me Michael, please. You need me now, more than you have before, alright?"

"No, I don't need anyone."

"Well, maybe I do. Did you ever think of that? I mean look at Max and Liz. They can't bear to be separated. But you, you can just throw me away. Just like that. Why is that Michael? Why?"

"Maybe because I love you too much. Goodbye." Maria says nothing, an expression of disbelief mixed with understanding, frozen on her face.

/////End Flash////

"I think you're so mean- I think we should try,
I think I could need - this in my life.
I think I'm just scared - that I know too much.
I can't relate and that's a problem I'm feeling,"

/////Flash////

Maria brought a sandwich up to Isabel as she sat by Michael's side. "Here," she said, handing Isabel a bottle of tobacco sauce. "I didn't know how much you like." Isabel thanked her, but promptly forgot about the meal as Michael began thrashing on the bed. His fever so high, it didn't even register on the thermometer. Isabel began yelling at Maria, telling her that Michael needed her and nobody else. Maria allowed her to rage but quietly added "I care about him too." The fear of losing Michael caused her to wrap her arms around herself as though it would keep her safe. When the cocoon began to form around him, tears flowed steadily down her cheeks.

/////End Flash////

"If you're gone - maybe it's time to come home.
There's an awful lot of breathing room,
But I can hardly move.
If you're gone - baby you need to come home.
Cuz there's a little bit of something in me,
In everything in you."

/////Flash////

He showed up at her bedroom window after the violent incident where he used his power on Hank. Stroking his hair she told him. "It's okay, you don't have to tell me." Michael cried quietly in Maria's arms, and for the first time he felt at peace.

/////End Flash////

"I think you're so mean- I think we should try,
I think I could need - this in my life.
I think I'm just scared - do I talk too much.
I can't relate and it's a problem I'm dealing,"

/////Flash////

Their mouths meshed tightly together, quick kisses followed deeply passionate ones.

"These visions....flashes, or whatever."

As Michael mouth sucked at the soft flesh of her neck he murmured "Uh-huh."

"I'm just, um.. I'm not completely sure I've actually really had one."

He stops kissing her and his eyes narrow. "What do you mean, you're not completely sure?"

"Michael, I um. I faked it. Okay?

"Why would you tell me that?"

"Why? Because I wanted us to be close." She rationalized, trying to make him understand.

"You think that makes us close?... I lied to you, too. about the shoes."

/////End Flash////

"If you're gone - maybe it's time to come home.
There's an awful lot of breathing room,
But I can hardly move.

/////Flash////

"I owe more to you than I can imagine. To Liz, Alex, Valenti, to some old guy named Hal who lives in Tampa and plays shuffleboard. In never realized it.so here it is." Michael reaches for Maria's hands. The touch sends sparks through both of them and Michael can't move. "Thank you."

Maria smiles gently and squeezes his hand in hers. "You're welcome."

/////Flash////

"If you're gone - baby you need to come home.
Cuz there's a little bit of something in me,
In everything in you."

/////Flash////

**I'm yours** Maria's mouth on his body, the feel of her breast against his palm, the utter sense of completion as she joined her body with his. The sensation of experiencing a joint orgasm. The need to make it real.**Always.**

/////End Flash////

Michael some how found himself standing before her, completely captivated by her voice, her eyes, her skin and those lips that just begged to be kissed. Maria knelt down at the edge of the stage, her eyes boring into Michael's as she finished the song, their lips only separated by the microphone.

"Everything. Something in me... in you." As the last note faded, the mike hit the floor of the stage with a thud and Michael and Maria mouths finally joined together. Michael's hand wound into her hair and he tugged her gently off the stage and into his arms, cradling her tightly against his chest. Their tongues continued dance as Michael walked toward the door, neither of them noticing the crowd had parted, creating an isle, cheering and applauding wildly. **You're Mine**

Max, Isabel, Tess, Kyle, Liz, and even Sean watched the scene play out before them with open mouths. "I gotta stop him." Max was the first one to regain his senses and stood to go after his reckless friend.

"Let them go Max."

Max spun around to face Alex who just put up a hand in between them to ask for no words, no argument.

"This is what they both want.and need. Can't you see that they are worse off apart then they are together? Give them this night. Worry about it later." Alex smiled slightly and turned his blue eyes to rest on Isabel as Max sat back down.

The bouncer smiled at the young couple as he held the door open for them, seeing as they were too busy to do it themselves. Ah to be young and in love, he chuckled to himself.

Once outside, Maria shivered in the cool breeze. Michael set her down gently; dusting kisses across her face and neck as he stripped off his jacket to place it snugly around her shoulders. Once he was satisfied that she was physically warm, he set about heating her up.

"Don't ever do that again," he ordered gently as he nibbled her ear.

"Don't.Don't do what?"

"Touch anyone other than me." Michael drew back to look at her. Seeing tears in her eyes he cupped her face and gently brushed them away from her cheeks with his thumbs. "Don't cry baby. Please don't cry. I can't stand it when I make you cry."

Maria felt her heart leap into her throat. Did that mean. does he want to. Confused Maria said the only thing she could think of, "I'm yours."

Michael whimpered slightly, hearing the words she silently spoke to him in his dream. Hugging her tightly to his side, they began walking to his apartment.

"Maria?"

"Hush Spaceboy," her voice was muffled in his chest, as she reached up to caress his face, her hand trailing down his neck, chest, and abs only to dip lower and brush against his manhood. "I said. I'm yours."

Michael began walking faster.

Part 3 | Index | Part 5
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.