FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"Exploring Avenues"
Part 29
by Mary N
Disclaimer: I don't own the characters, but I wish I did! But the ideas for this story are mine.
Summary: This is primarily a Max and Liz story, but it includes all of the characters, and more than likely a few of my own invention. It starts in the cave after Nasedo/Peirce leaves in Destiny. The pod squad tries to active the orbs, but nothing happens, which means Liz never walks a way. To find out what they do learn who they are you'll have to read my story. I hope you enjoy it, be sure to leave me your thoughts if you want me to continue this.
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Authors Note: The original idea for this story was sent to me by a friend, but it has taken on a life of its own and headed into a new direction.
Michael sat in the driver's seat as he and Maria pulled away from the school grounds in the red Jetta. Maria hated the idea of going to the graveyard and she made no evert to hide it. "I don't know why we're the ones that have to do all the creepy work in this group of ours. Couldn't Max have sent Tess and Kyle to the cemetery? I mean come on, we both know I would have done a better job making fake travel plans than that girl ever could. Her idea of a vacation is probably digging up some dinosaur bones or something equally as dull."

"Maria, shut up. You're rambling again, and it's driving me crazy." Michael had been listening to Maria go on and on about this from the moment they walked away from the other, and he was getting tired of hearing the same thing over and over again.

"Fine, but can you blame me? I hate, let me stress the word HATE here. I HATE cemeteries."

"Why is that anyway? It's just a place where people's remains are buried after they die." Michael commented nonchalantly. Ge really didn't see way she was making a big deal about the whole thing.

Maria turned in her seat, facing Michael. She looked shocked. "Your kidding me right? I mean, good heavens' Michael. We are talking about DEAD people here. People that have D. I. E. D., died."

"Yeah, so they're dead. Everyone dies eventually. It's really no big deal." Maria shook her head form side to side in disbelief that he could say that so calmly. It was as if attending a cemetery, and being around corpses was the most normal thing in the world.

Michael still didn't understand why this trip was freaking her out like it was. He figured if he was going to have to listen to her talking for the rest of the trip, it might as well try to get to the bottom of why she felt the way she did. "Why does it bother you to go to a cemetery? There has to be some reason other that, ‘There are dead people there.'"

Michael was pleasantly relieved when Maria didn't answer his question. She just sat back in her seat, crossing her arms over her chest staring out the window. He really did wonder why the big deal, but he wasn't crazy enough to break silence he had been hoping for.

The silence was short and Maria began to tell Michael a story. "About seven years ago my mom and I went to see one of her friends from high school. Her friend lived in a nice big old two story farm houses. About half a mile down the road from their house was a small cemetery with less than 100 graves in it."

"My mom's friend had three daughters, two of which were older than I was, and the other one was a couple of years younger. She also had a son, but I don't remember seeing him that much. Anyway, the two girls closest to my age talked me into going down to the cemetery. I really didn't want to go, but I wasn't about to let a seven-year-old show me up. Besides they said there was plenty of time before it was supposed to get dark out, and that they went all the time. There was nothing to worry about."

"The three of us headed down the road, talking about the things we were planning to do while I was visiting, and the next thing I knew we were there. As said it was a fairly small cemetery, no fences or anything like that, just lots of trees along two of the sides. I remember feeling the knots in my stomach when I looked around, the way those trees were casting shadows over the tombstones wigged me out."

"I was chickening out, and I'm sure they knew it. But they wouldn't let me leave. They kept telling me there was nothing to be afraid of, and there were just a few things they wanted to so me, and then we would go. They lead me around showing me some of the more unusual tomb stones, names, and a some tomb stones that were dated late eighteen hundreds. It was kind of interesting, but I was still so scared all I could think about was getting out of there.

"I know we hadn't been there that long, there was no way, but the sun was already starting to set. They didn't seem to be bothered by it and they started telling me about a Halloween party they had the October before, and how they finished their scavenger hunt in that very cemetery. I was beginning to question the sanity of these girls. I mean they weren't even scared to be in the cemetery after dark, on Halloween of all days. At that point, I was ready to leave with or without them."

"Remember it was starting to get dark at that point, so it was harder to see with all the shadows the trees were casting as well as it getting darker as the sun moved low in the sky. I was heading back to the street when I felt someone or something grab hold of my ankle, and it started pulling me down into the open pit. I remember kicking at whoever it was, and screaming at the top of my lungs. I was sure the girls with me would come to my aid, but they didn't. They just stood there and started at me, not moving in anyway to help me."

"I don't really remember how I got away, but when I did, I started running as fast as my legs could carry me. I wanted to put as much distance between me and that cemetery as I possible could. I must have been halfway back to the house before I heard those girls calling my name, and telling me to stop. When I did, and I manage to turn around, I found out their older sister was with them. She had been the one who grabbed hold of my foot."

"I tell you what, I have never been as scared as I was that day. I couldn't stop shaking, I was so scared. After that day, I started having nightmares where hands would reach up from the ground and start pulling me under. Michael, I haven't been able to step foot inside of a cemetery since."

Maria finished telling the tale of her past as they pulled up in front of the local cemetery, and now her fear of grave yards made since to Michael. He could see how devastating the experience had been for her. He chose to park outside the fence line, not wanting to push her to do something she obviously wasn't ready to do.

Her eyes were so wide with fear when he finally managed to get her to turn and look at him. "Do we really have to go in there?" She asked as she clung to his arm so tight he could feel her nails sinking into his arm. Prying her fingers off of his arm, he answered the only way he could under the circumstances. "Maria, if you don't want to go in, it's not a problem. I can do this by myself. You wait here and I'll be back when I'm done."

He opened the driver side door and tried to climb out, but the grip she had on his arm tightened to the point he had to pry her hand away before she drew blood. "Maria?"

"You, you, you mean . . . your going to . . . to leave me here? Alone?" Her voice was as shaky as she felt.

Michael didn't know what to say. He had to do this, and he didn't have time to drive her back to the other side of town. "Maria, I know you're scared. But come on, you'll be fine as long as you stay in the car. You can even lock the door if that will make you feel better."

Maria took a deep breath shaking her head ‘no.' "You can't leave me here alone Michael. You just can't. Don't you know it's always the one left behind waiting that gets killed off first? I don't think so buddy."

Michael was trying to be sympathetic here, but he was quickly growing impatient. He had a job to do and he hadn't even begun. "What do you suggest I do then?"

Having the ball thrown back in her court was what she wanted until she realized how angry he would be if she suggested that he take her home. She then thought about taking the car and coming back for him later, but she couldn't see leaving him here alone. What if something were to happen to him? She was scared beyond belief, and didn't believe she was about to say. "I'll, I'll go with you."

"Are you sure?" Michael asked with concern and uncertainty. He'd seen how frazzled she was, and felt her fear in the form of the death grip she had on his arm just moments before.

She looked at him with terror in her eyes. As afraid as she was to go into a cemetery, she was more afraid of either of them being anywhere near a cemetery alone. Her voice and hands were still shaking as she climbed out of the car. "No, I'm not sure, so whatever you do, don't let go of me. Deal?"

"Deal." Michael answered proudly. He couldn't have been any prouder of his pixie than he was at that moment. She was willing to confront her biggest fear as long as he was at her side. He didn't know what to say, she really did trust him with her life. He couldn't believe it.

Maria grabbed hold of his arm with one hand, and the back of his shirt with the other as if her life depended on it. And in her mind it did. Never relinquishing her grip, she walked beside Michael up and down the rows of grave stones watching for a tombstone with the name of one Gregory Hall.

. After the first few rows, she began to ramble about anything that came to mind. Michael didn't mind the rambling as much as he normally would have, he was just glad the more she rambled the more she let up on his arm. He was sure there for a while that by time they were done here, he was going to need Max to heal his arm from the lack of blood flowing through his veins. He never realized someone as small as Maria could have such a killer grip.

Maria felt the fear slipping away from her as she told herself she was safe as long as she was with Michael. If anything did come after her, he would blast them with his powers before he would let any harm come to her. She definitely liked the idea of watching Michael as he blasted all of her demons into oblivion

Even though they didn't find what they were looking for, Michael felt they had accomplished, and learned something about themselves and each other they couldn't have learned any other way. He learned how much trust Maria had in him, and that not pushing Maria to do something, work a lot better than trying to force her into it. He was pretty sure she learned a little, if not a lot, about facing her fears.

****** After dropping Tess's SUV off at her place, she and Kyle headed straight to the Department of Tourism located by the City Hall. They both suspected if anyone was going to have suggestions about what they could see during the next few months, someone there would. Sure enough, the lady at the front counter was eager to help them out. In face she seemed thrilled that some of the local teens had taken an interest in learning more about their home state that she gave them tons of fliers and a copy of the 2000 New Mexico Vacation Guide. She even took the time to tell them all about the event she thought they would like to attend, as well as warned them about others she didn't think they would find of interest.

To their dismay, Kyle and Tess ended up staying there for about an hour and a half. Most of the time was spent trying to say goodbye. The lady helping them wouldn't stop talking. By time they finally escaped, and stepped outside the building they had each other laughing hysterically.

Between bursts of laughter, Tess managed to declare, "I never thought we were going to get out of there. And you, oh my gosh, you were so bad. I was sure she was going to catch you mimicking her."

"What about you? You were no angel in there either."

Tess batted her eyes and smiled innocently. "Who Me? Oh no, no, I would never think to do anything to tarnish my image. We all know I'm as pure as fresh fallen snow." They both break out into another fit of hysterical laughter.

"Yeah right. Try another one. I've seen your evil streak on more than one occasion."

She knew he was only joking, but what he said struck a cord in her. *Is that how the others perceive me? Someone with an evil streak? * She didn't really have a chance to ponder that question further. Kyle was moving closer to her with a worried expression. She didn't want him questioning where her thoughts had gone. She didn't want to ruin the playful mood they were sharing. She had been having more fun with him then she'd had in what seemed like forever.

Keeping a straight face, she tilted her head to the side and asked the first question that came to mind. "Oh really, is that a good thing or a bad thing?"

He had been worried he'd said the wrong thing when Tess suddenly went silent and her expression turned somber. He presumed he must have been mistaken when her expression changed once again to one more capricious and heard the playful note still in her voice.

He couldn't believe his luck, she left him a great opening and he was going to take full advantage of it. Continuing to step forward, he closed the gap between them down to inches. Then he brought one hand to the side of her face stoking her cheek as he said, "That depends."

With his delicate touch, he generated a reaction to stir within her, the same reaction he had stirred within her several times before. She still didn't understand way he had this effect on her when no one else ever had before. She didn't understand his power over her, and at this point in time, she didn't want him to know he possessed it. Not until she had confirmation of what Max and Liz had said, that her destiny was not Max. In an attempt to seem unaffected she asked, "Depends on what?"

Kyle smiled at the simplicity of her question and the visible reaction she was having to him which was apparent in the way her eyes were lighting up when he touched her. He decided to push this little game he started a little further. He began to trace his thumb over her lips while wishing his lips were covering hers rather than simply his thumb. But that would have to wait, his plan was to make her come to him this time. That way she couldn't deny what she was feeling the way she had the morning before.

As his thumb moved over her mouth, she watched him with great interest. Did he already know power he had over her? Was that way he was doing this? Was he trying to get her to give in? She knew if she didn't turn the tables, and soon he was going to get his wish. She would lose the little remaining control she had.

He was caught unprepared as she parted her lips and slipped her tongue out of her mouth and licked the tip of his thumb. She then proceeded to close her lips around his thumb and sucked on it as she pushed it from her mouth using the tip of her tongue.

With great interest she watched to see what he would do next. She was a little surprised as he slowly brought his thumb to his own mouth where he inserted it, and moaned at the taste that awaited him. He acted as if he had just enjoyed to most wonderful taste in the world. After swallowing hard to clear the lump that had formed in her throat, she found herself licking her own lips. She wanted him to kiss her more at that moment than she ever had before. So much so that she didn't care what the consequences were. She would just have to deal with them later.

To her astonishment instead of kissing her, he took a few steps back from her. She was about to question him about his actions when he interrupted her. "That depends on how you use it."

Completely lost to what he was meaning, she had to ask, "Excuse me?"

Smiling with satisfaction, he answered, "You asked if I thought an evil streak was a good thing or a bad thing. Remember?"

Not giving her the time to really think about what he'd just done, he stepped forward and wrapped his arms firmly around her waist. Therefore elevating any chance of her assuming that he was just toying with her emotions. Which he'd suspected she would have if he didn't handle this right. He wanted her to know that this wasn't just a game, but that he really does have feelings for her. "You tell me Tess, is an evil streak a good thing or a bad thing?"

The growing anger inside of her, disappeared when he touched her once again, but wasn't about to let him off that easily. "You know I'll get you back for this, don't you?"

"I'm counting on you to try." He told her with a gleam in his eye. "Now, tell me Tess. Do you agree that an evil streak can be both a good thing and a bad thing all depending on how it's used?"

"Are you admitting that you have an evil streak in you Kyle?"

"We all do, it's what gives us our edge, and the ability to fight for what we want."

"And what is it exactly that you want?"

"Why you of course, I want you Tess."

"The why didn't you kiss me when you had the chance?"

"Simple. The next time we kiss, I want you to be open to the possibility that it's not just a one time thing. But instead, that there could be a possible future for us. Whether it is a long term relationship or something more short term, a future none the less. I don't want you worrying about Evans, or destiny when it happens. You see as tempting as it maybe, I don't want to end up being a one night stand."

Tess couldn't help but smile at his words. Kyle was basically telling her he wanted her not only for her body, but that he hoped there could be more between them than a physical thing. He was telling her what she had always thought and dreamed her destined mate would be saying to her.

Taking her hand in his, Kyle lead Tess to his car and helped her in. "Now back to what we were saying before we got into this conversation. That evil streak of yours, do you realize how lucky you were that lady in there thought you merely thought you were laughing because you were so excited about our vacation plans? Good save by the way."

"Thank you, but you know it was all your fault. I couldn't help myself when you asked her why she hadn't suggest we see the Roswell UFO museum. Her face, I swear she thought you were some hill billy with a pea for a brain."

He acted offended by her statement. "Hey, it got us out of there didn't it?"

"Not really. If I remember correctly, us getting out of there had to do with that phone call she received."

"Oh now your taking credit of our narrow escape."

"What? What are you talking about?"

"That phone call, she didn't really get a phone call did she? That was you using your powers again."

She looked at him with a puzzled expression on her face. "How, how could you have possibly known that?"

"Hate to break it to you, but now that I know you can do it. Whatever it is that you do, and having felt it being done. I can tell when you are doing it."

On there way back to her house, Kyle took a detour to the grocery store in order to pick up a few things needed to turn this meeting into a party. He couldn't see wasting a perfect opportunity to celebrate the end the school year than with close friends in the form of a party.

He had another reason for wanting to have this party, one that he felled to mention to Tess. He wanted to give the others a chance to see what she was like when she let her walls down. As far as he knew, he'd been the only one to see what lay on the other side of the wall she'd built around her emotions. And he wanted the others to see that side of her as well.

"Kyle, do we really need all of this stuff? We are talking only eight people here."

"It's not about how many are attending, it's about having a variety of stuff to choice from." She looked doubtful, so he continued to try and convince her. "Anyone who has ever given a party knows you can't have just a few things to pick from, you have to go all out for a successful get- together of this sort."

"This is a meeting, remember? Not a party!"

"That was the original plan, but since we are all going to be there anyway, and since we don't have to worry about parents barging in . . ."

"You've already plained this whole thing out haven't you?"

Kyle wrapped his arm her shoulders and lead her to the register as he whispered in her ear. "You betcha, and it is going to be a blast."

Tess could still feel the humming in her body present from her earlier encounter with Kyle, and it had quickly been stoked by the feeling of his warmth flowing from his body to hers. It felt so good to be touched in anyway by him, and it didn't hurt that he was acting like it was the most natural thing in the world for him to do. She found herself no longer paying attention to what he was saying, but merely enjoying his touch. To her disappointment, their trip to the register wasn't long enough for her liking, because once they were there, he pulled away in order to empty their cart. When he did so, she felt the loose of his touch and it felt like she had just lost something very important in her life.

For the first time she found herself hoping Michael and Maria arrived with an orb in hand. Because if they did so, she would be free from the destiny she had always believed in, and could pursue these feeling she felt for Kyle without reservation, and she could truly do what he had said he wanted. For her to think of more than just the moment, but allow herself to dream of the possibility that the two of them could share a real relationship.

Kyle turned to Tess, when she made no effort to help him empty the cart. He made no effort to hide the smile on his face at the dazed look on her face and in her eyes. She was lost in thought and suspected that it had to do with the goose bumps that appeared on her arms when he touched her. If he was right, which he was almost positive he was. He was going to cause that same reaction within her many more times before this night was over. His plan was to take advantage of every opportunity to touch her.

*************

TBC . . . .

Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.